michael and the MOBO awards

elusive moonwalker

Guests
just some info about a meeting i had today with the founder of the Uk mobo awards (music of black origin) kanya king. the show happens every year for the past 12 or so. the award show tried to get the jacksons there last year they were supposed to get the life time acheivement award but it never happened for those who remember.

anyway i do security at events and she was speaking at a event i was working at and ended up speaking to her for a few mins about mj. couldnt resist due to the jackson connection last year and wondering if she would try to get mj to attend one of the shows. anyway this is the main bits.

i asked her about getting mj to attend and she said its hard cause theres so much media hysteria. mentioned the World music awards and i got the impression she ment mj was touchy about doing events cause of the way they treated him. she didnt say that but thats the impression i got as the convo moved on and she didnt finish the sentence. said she tried to get the jacksons to not only attend last year but to perform as u cant jsut have them attend you have to get the bros to perform. gave the impression that mj had agreed aswell (presumming the jacksons didnt say he wouldnt to her). she said it didnt happen cause they were nervous about performing and needed time to rehearse so it didnt happen. sounds more like an excuse they prob told her from other stories ive heard. as no mj no j5 if u get what im saying. and i dont think she realised about the stories about mj not wanting to do stuff with his bros etc

she attended the WMA event in 06 and asked what i made of it after i told her i was there. she didnt realise that the fans had been told mj wasnt performing. she was excited thought he would cause of what the organisers had said to the press about him performing. she said the booing was directed at rihanna not mj cause they wanted her off stage and mj back. nice to see someone who knew the truth about that. and she was surprised about mj getting the fans free/cheap tickets.(asked if i was apart of his fanclub and it was done through that). i told her about how crap the organsiers were. (thats why she has to get mj at her show lol) she was asking who mjs manager was. i was like yeah thats a good question and talked about the whole bain thing. she didnt recognise bains name said it wasnt the name of the person she last remembered as his manager. (wonder who she ment didnt ask) she ended the convo by she saying you never know u might get a surprise in the future interms of mj going to the show. there was nothing ment by what she said just in a joking sense before the rumours start lol .i think she was kinda surprised about how much the fans know and prob surprised that the security was a crazy mj fan lol.but its intresting talking to someone so high up in the industry and who organises a big event and you are telling them things that they never knew about mj and about what went on with the WMAs etc.

she seemed to be a very nice lady and defo a fan so hopefully one year she will finally get mj there.

Last edited:
thanks for this elusive, interesing to hear to from someone in the industry and their view of the WMA fiasco. Going by this , it sounds as if getting Michael to the MOBO's is high on her agenda but she needs to figure out a way of getting him there. IMO the MOBO'S are defiatly an award show I would love to see Michael at, as by being being the first black artist on MTV all those years ago, he laid the foundations of black artists in mainstream music, which the whole ethos of the MOBO'S.

it sounds as if getting Michael to the MOBO's is high on her agenda but she needs to figure out a way of getting him there

yeah thats the impression i got from her aswell. kinda hard i guess until not oly we but everyone else knows whats going on with management etc. u dont really wanna tell an outsider so to speak about how crappy everything is in mj management land lol. i tried to be as tactful as possible lol

IMO the MOBO'S are defiatly an award show I would love to see Michael at, as by being being the first black artist on MTV all those years ago, he laid the foundations of black artists in mainstream music, which the whole ethos of the MOBO'S

yeah i said that to her in so many words. with mj being who he is and the mobos being what they are ie black music you cant have the awards show without getting mj there at least once in the awards show lifespan. hopefully when theres a new album and it all starts up she will prob try and get him there. i hope so anyway.

Thanks for posting this. Interesting read. I hope MJ comes to that MOBO award show soon or in the future.

nice one, Elusive.

i wasn't THAT big of a fan of the MOBOs, but seeing how just about every mainstream music event has deteriorated (including the Mercury), it's definitely on my highlights of the year to watch.

some interesting insights.

cheers

I think the MOBO Awards are a waste of time, and just like The Brits the shows get worse each year. We just don't do good awards shows in the UK. I've always been surprised that Michael hasn't already got a Lifetime Achievement from the MOBO Awards anyway. Like the Brits Awards, I feel that the audience at the MOBO's can be quite desrespectful to guest presenters on the show.

Michael wasn't booed at the WMA's like the media said, and it was really a good evening for Michael. But like the Brits when Michael performed Earth Song and Jarvis Cocker waved his ugly butt in the air to Michael, both of Michael's appearances at UK awards shows have been controversal because of our unrulely audiences and media. For that reason I think Michael should stay away from all UK awards shows.

Michael wasn't booed at the WMA's like the media said, and it was really a good evening for Michael. But like the Brits when Michael performed Earth Song and Jarvis Cocker waved his ugly butt in the air to Michael, both of Michael's appearances at UK awards shows have been controversal because of our unrulely audiences and media. For that reason I think Michael should stay away from all UK awards shows.

I think you have a good point

Going by this , it sounds as if getting Michael to the MOBO's is high on her agenda but she needs to figure out a way of getting him there. IMO the MOBO'S are defiatly an award show I would love to see Michael at, as by being being the first black artist on MTV all those years ago, he laid the foundations of black artists in mainstream music, which the whole ethos of the MOBO'S.

I agree with this.
Thanks for posting this Moonstreet, very interesting

I think the MOBO Awards are a waste of time, and just like The Brits the shows get worse each year. We just don't do good awards shows in the UK. I've always been surprised that Michael hasn't already got a Lifetime Achievement from the MOBO Awards anyway. Like the Brits Awards, I feel that the audience at the MOBO's can be quite desrespectful to guest presenters on the show.

some good points there ben. i watched the mobos for the first time in full last year cause of the jacksons talk. tbh i wasnt a great fan but thats just because of some of the music and artists that were there not the actual show and how it was run.

yeah thats pretty true about mj staying away cause of the media etc.but going to the mobos you would hope he he would be shown respect from the organisers.(crowd doesnt matter to me cause ppl love mj as the wma showed regardless of what happened) because of what the mobos are all about and king seems to be a fan aswell. but alot fo the WMA mess was cause by mj having no management who would do their job properly. untill theres proper management along with an award show that will respect him and not B.S then yes he should stay away.the mobos i beleive would show respect so its upto mj in getting a manger.

I've always been surprised that Michael hasn't already got a Lifetime Achievement from the MOBO Awards anyway.
well mj wont get one until he attends.theres really no point in giving the award when the person isnt even there. thats what happend with the jacksons last year they were gonna get the lifetime gong but it was pulled cause they didnt come. its really an all or nothing senario

thanks for that elsuive. very interesting though..i too have many reservations about award show appearances for all the drama that gets entangled with a Michael Jackson appearance...it seems that even the merest of appearances gets blown out beyond recognition that no one knows what was expected and what was delivered. MOBO could be the UKs version of BETs...I ve been thinking maybe BETs are a better option given that MJ has been in his home turf now for quite some time and he has had such a good response the last time he was there with James brown.

I think if mike went to the mobos he would be shown respect its a bloody black awards show.

You can't put the mobos and the emas or the mtv awards in the same catagory.

I love the mobos because i love black music

some good points there ben. i watched the mobos for the first time in full last year cause of the jacksons talk. tbh i wasnt a great fan but thats just because of some of the music and artists that were there not the actual show and how it was run.

yeah thats pretty true about mj staying away cause of the media etc.but going to the mobos you would hope he he would be shown respect from the organisers.(crowd doesnt matter to me cause ppl love mj as the wma showed regardless of what happened) because of what the mobos are all about and king seems to be a fan aswell. but alot fo the WMA mess was cause by mj having no management who would do their job properly. untill theres proper management along with an award show that will respect him and not B.S then yes he should stay away.the mobos i beleive would show respect so its upto mj in getting a manger.

well mj wont get one until he attends.theres really no point in giving the award when the person isnt even there. thats what happend with the jacksons last year they were gonna get the lifetime gong but it was pulled cause they didnt come. its really an all or nothing senario

Michael had appeared at the WMA's 3 times (before the controversal one in London in 2006), with no controversy at all. My view is though the WMA's do give artists awards for real achivements of music sales, as opposed to votes from a board of excutives at the more prestigues Grammy Awards. The WMA's have always been a fairy tacky awards show, with no real credibility.

I don't have a high opinion of of the MOBO's at all, and personally I hope Michael never attends the awards show. The fact is the audiences at the MOBO's are disrespectul, and do boo famous presenters and performers. Some of the booing has been racist to white artists, and some booing towards black artitsts and famous UK actors to the audience don't feel are cool or black enough. Something I notice doesn't happen at black USA awards shows. I'm not saying Michael would get booed by the audience, but the MOBO"s doesn't strike me as a well conceived show. The WMA's and Brits have shown respect to Michael, and so would the MOBO's, but it's the audience, media that are the problem. The security at UK awards shows in general isn't very good, even letting stars who aren't supposed to be on stage appear when drunk. We just don't know how to do good music awards shows in the UK, and controversy at these shows seems to be what the media want, as they have too much control. UK awards shows are British stars who aren't tough, acting tough which is even worsew. The media want humiliation like Lilly Allen insulting Elton John at the GQ Awards last week etc, or even Elton John putting down Madonna at a UK awards shows a few years ago about lip syncing.

The Brits, NME and Q Magazine awards are more about people getting drunk and insulting each other than celebrating talent and music, the MOBO's isn't that much different except with them it's not so much artists an famous people insulting each other, it's the audience insulting famous people.

I've watched all the MOBO shows on tv, and last years at the O2 Arena was crap, very bland and as usual didn't live up to the hype. The same thing will happen this year, and the MOBO's over esitamate themselves having shows at the O2 and now Wembley Areana. They are more suited to the Dorchester of some hotel like the Q Magazine Awards or NME Awards as like those magazines the MOBO's are not as credible awards as they would like to think.

Like I said in my first post, out UK media are also out of control, looking for any thing, from a light hearted joking boo like at the 2006 WMA's, to turn in to something controversal. And an appearence by Michael at the WMA's would end up with very negative media for Michael. I pointed out that Michael's 3 privious appearences at the WMA's weren't controversal, but isn't it strange that Michael's 2 UK awards show appearences over the last 10yrs (as Michael attended the BPI Awards now the Brits in 1983) which being the Brits and WMA's were controversal.

i think the issue of the WMA show being controversial when it was held in the UK was more about who was running it rather than the media. the monaco royals had a big hand in organising it and it was always held in monaco now things have obviously changed. and half of what happened in london was because of the organisers telling everyone that would listen that mj was doing xy and z when that wasnt the case. piss up and brewery come to mind.. not sure why the wmas wouldnt be deemed as not being credible yet you say its one of the few shows maybe the only one that gives awards based on sales so surely that makes it credible instead of all the politics of ppl voting for certain artists cause of back handers or whatever that happen at the other shows. maybe its because the show hasnt been around for a huge amount of time or because of the monaco connection?

tbh no awards shows are really credible they all have motives of the ppl who pick the awards.motives interms of getting certain acts to appear so shock horror they suddenly get awards cause they turned up. some are seen as more prestigious than others becacsue of their name ie the grammys but it doesnt make them credible.

i think the issue of the WMA show being controversial when it was held in the UK was more about who was running it rather than the media. the monaco royals had a big hand in organising it and it was always held in monaco now things have obviously changed. and half of what happened in london was because of the organisers telling everyone that would listen that mj was doing xy and z when that wasnt the case. piss up and brewery come to mind.. not sure why the wmas wouldnt be deemed as not being credible yet you say its one of the few shows maybe the only one that gives awards based on sales so surely that makes it credible instead of all the politics of ppl voting for certain artists cause of back handers or whatever that happen at the other shows. maybe its because the show hasnt been around for a huge amount of time or because of the monaco connection?

tbh no awards shows are really credible they all have motives of the ppl who pick the awards.motives interms of getting certain acts to appear so shock horror they suddenly get awards cause they turned up. some are seen as more prestigious than others becacsue of their name ie the grammys but it doesnt make them credible.

Maybe your right. I just don't like Michael appearing at our awards shows in the UK, despite the UK arguably having the most loyal Michael Jackson fan base, the UK is where the stupid nickname ***** ***** was made up by The Sun. Until our media grows up, and our awards shows organised better I don't want Michael put in a position where his apperence is well received. Apart from that stupid Javis Cocker incident, Michael's appearence at the Brits in 1996 was very successful, though I think he should have peformed another song live with a band.

Back