Michael Dance Theory *~ Crotch Grabbing offends people

BillieJean84

Proud Member
Okay so I was too young to remember, years back when Michael did Black or White video, the scene when he jumps on the car and stars breaking the windows and then grabs his crotch. I remember people were up in arms, parents mostly, about that. They took it offensive and in the end, Michael ended up apologizing for it on national tv.

Now, personally I think its silly to get your panties in a waddle over something like this. But, this was at a time when Kurt Cobain was around and Madonna too, was being controversial .....etc.

Does anyone else remember this??? What was your reaction???

this is probably the wrong section for this topic

What was my reaction? I was about 13-14 at the time and I don't think I felt offended or corrupted by it. LOL.

What was my reaction? I was about 13-14 at the time and I don't think I felt offended or corrupted by it. LOL.

LOL I was too, young as well but I wasn't at all and nor were my parents as far as I know.
In fact, I liked it. And still do.

if you watch dangerous the short films its got a little bit about it before the video comes on :yes:and it is a women reporter on the news she said that "michael was only imatating the dance of the panther":yes:

When I saw that part of BorW video for the first time I was like

jaw-drop.gif

and then :clapping::clapping::clapping::punk::punk::punk:

His rebellious behaviour at the end is inspired by the Black Panthers movement, and is meant to be offensive precisely in order to annoy racists. The Black Panthers were known for their provocative and violent manifestations against discrimination. "Black Or White" is a anti-racism song, so the Black Panther dance at the end fits perfectly. For a better understanding and justification for this 'erratic' behaviour, the car window panes which he breaks, later will contain racist symbols and messages, the Swastika, "Nigger, go home","No more wetbacks". All this time, he screams against the injustice of all this, angrily removes the car's wheel (which means he metaphorically tries to destroy the head of racist organizations), throwing it against a window that has "KKK Rules" written on it. As a further means of protest and faithfully depicting animal insticts and agression, he dances provocatively and screams, having the "Royal Arms Hotel" name explode. That's supposed to be reference to a hotel in real life. If anyone has more concrete info on its meaning in the video, please post it..

At the end, his message, "Prejudice Is Ignorance" appears as a conclusion to explain and justify his rebellion. It never was meaningless that aggression, and it was expressed by means of raw art, there are no people being hit and hurt, only the racist symbols and dwellings perhaps housing racists. No people are being featured, except for him on a dirty street at night, destroying empty places.

Sad that the so-called critics and media pundits didn't get this very serious and always current meaning, they just call the video a means to incite against violence and hatred, what else can they think about? It's M.J. the loon afterall.

To understand the message of this underestimated song and video even better, here's the lyrics of a song by another incredible artist, that is at times deemed 'crazy' as well:

"I Find It Hard To Say (Rebel)"

[Lauryn Hill Talking]

...I've written it about the whole Amadou Diallo situation...

...It was such a hot time in the city at that point, I was afraid that if I
put the record out, people would Misunderstand what I meant by "Rebel" and
they just take it to the streets...

[One and only verse]

Ok, yeah, alright...
I find it hard to say, that everything is alright
Don't look at me that way, like everything is alright
Cuz my own eyes can see, through all your false pretenses
But what you fail to see, is all the consequences
You think our lives are cheap, and easy to be wasted
As history repeats, so foul you can taste it
And while the people sleep, too comfortable to face it
His life so incomplete, and nothing can replace it
Your lives so incomplete, and nothing can replace it
Fret not thyself I say, against these laws of man
Cuz like the Bible says, His blood is on their hands
And what I gotta say, and what I gotta say, is rebel
While today is still today, choose well
And what I gotta say, is rebel, it can't go down this way
Choose well, choose well, choose well...
...choose well, choose well, choose well
Your lives are so incomplete, and nothing, and no one, can replace it
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no
And what I gotta say, and what I gotta say
Is rebel... rebel, rebel, rebel, rebel, rebel, rebel
Rebel, rebel, rebel, rebel, rebel
Repent, the day is far too spent, rebel... rebel!
Wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up...
Wake up and rebel
We must destroy in order to rebuild (Jackson destroys a whole lot in the video)
Wake up, you might as well
Oh are you... oh are you satisfied
Oh are you satisfied
Rebel... ohhh rebel
Why don't you rebel, why don't you rebel?
Why don't you rebel?"

Last edited:
His rebellious behaviour at the end is inspired by the Black Panthers movement, and is meant to be offensive precisely in order to annoy racists. The Black Panthers were known for their provocative and violent manifestations against discrimination. "Black Or White" is a anti-racism song, so the Black Panther dance at the end fits perfectly. For a better understanding and justification for this 'erratic' behaviour, the car window panes which he breaks, later will contain racist symbols and messages, the Swastika, "Nigger, go home","No more wetbacks". All this time, he screams against the injustice of all this, angrily removes the car's wheel (which means he metaphorically tries to destroy the head of racist organizations), throwing it against a window that has "KKK Rules" written on it. As a further means of protest and faithfully depicting animal insticts and agression, he dances provocatively and screams, having the "Royal Arms Hotel" name explode. That's supposed to be reference to a hotel in real life. If anyone has more concrete info on its meaning in the video, please post it..

At the end, his message, "Prejudice Is Ignorance" appears as a conclusion to explain and justify his rebellion. It never was meaningless that aggression, and it was expressed by means of raw art, there are no people being hit and hurt, only the racist symbols and dwellings perhaps housing racists. No people are being featured, except for him on a dirty street at night, destroying empty places.

Sad that the so-called critics and media pundits didn't get this very serious and always current meaning, they just call the video a means to incite against violence and hatred, what else can they think about? It's M.J. the loon afterall.

To understand the message of this underestimated song and video even better, here's the lyrics of another incredible artist, that is at times deemed crazy as well:

[Lauryn Hill Talking]

[One and only verse]

Ok, yeah, alright...
Wake up and rebel
Oh are you satisfied
Rebel... ohhh rebel
Why don't you rebel?"

Thank you. I had no idea.

Alma I agree.
Yes it's an antiracist dance in Black or white.
I don't feel offended at all, even if of course it's hard for a woman to watch without thinking of something else too.

I'm not or was offended either but I mean specifically at that time people were.

People who find it offensive are just plain stupid. I have no problem with Michael's type of dance is. They're just too stupid and ignorant.

The panther's liberating manifestations suggest significant messages: they're imperatives of Freedom for the prejudiced and oppressed: Jew, Mexican, African-American and all of the other races. Michael himself had been a massive target of prejudice throughout his life.

Alma;3124606 said:

To understand the message of this underestimated song and video even better, here's the lyrics of a song by another incredible artist, that is at times deemed 'crazy' as well:

[Lauryn Hill Talking]

[One and only verse]

Ok, yeah, alright...
Wake up and rebel
Oh are you satisfied
Rebel... ohhh rebel
Why don't you rebel?"

Thanks. Also the Black Panther in the video growls at the George Washington statue, at the beginning of the panther scene. Here is why:

On George Washington:

Naturalization Act of 1790

George Washington signed the Naturalization Act of 1790, which excluded non-white races from becoming naturalized citizens of the United States. This law established that “any Alien being a free white person, who shall have resided within the limits and under the jurisdiction of the United States for the term of two years, may be admitted to become a citizen” if “he is a person of good character.” In 1795, the law was revised increasing the established residency to 5 years and included renunciation of “allegiance and fidelity” to their country of origin.[30] This law was passed in order to prohibit freed African Americans from gaining citizenship.

And on his slaves:

By the time Washington was 11 years old he inherited 10 slaves and 500 acres of land. Thereafter, slavery would be intermingled with Washington for the rest of his life. When he began managing the Mount Vernon plantation eleven years later, at the age of 22, he had a work force of about 36 slaves. With his marriage to Martha Custis in 1759, 20 of her slaves came to Mount Vernon. After their marriage, Washington purchased even more slaves. The slave population also increased because the slaves were marrying and raising their own families. By 1786, there were 216 active slaves on Mt. Vernon.[1] By 1799, when George Washington died, there were an estimated 316 slaves living on the estate.

Are you guys talking here about Black Panther video or Black or White? In Black or White I do not see any real crotch grabbing at all. Where did you see it? Anyways.....Crotch grabbing never looked any sexual to me until I found out about it on a fan board a year ago. Both videos are antiracist. Besides, in some very old cultures "crotch grabbing" was a sign of protection from the evil.
I do not think Michael meant anything sexual at all in Black Panther video.

Last edited:
Are you guys talking here about Black Panther video or Black or White? In Black or White I do not see any real crotch grabbing at all. Where did you see it? Anyways.....Crotch grabbing never looked any sexual to me until I found out about it on a fan board a year ago. Both videos are antiracist. Besides, in some very old cultures "crotch grabbing" was a sign of protection from the evil.

The Black Panther scenes are a part of the FULL Black or White video.

yes stupid and ignorant. Michael had to apologize for it later so thats really stubborn of people.

I think she talkin bout the 'grab' at 2:32

What I don't get is why at 2:47 his pants zipper is down and he zips it up.. whats that about?

[youtube]1e3CAN6VWgE[/youtube]

I think she talkin bout the 'grab' at 2:32

What I don't get is why at 2:47 his pants zipper is down and he zips it up.. whats that about?

[youtube]1e3CAN6VWgE[/youtube]

maybe just to tease fans ; nothng to do with the other stuff. Or being a prankster that he was.

Him zipping up his pants is to show he is done urinating, figuratively speaking, on racist creeds. Meaning really offending the racists. The whole "HIStory" teaser/promotion for the album, too, was a major tease directed to his haters, so as to outrage them big time, and it worked. Diane Sawyer, anybody?

Last edited:
Him zipping up his pants is to show he is done peeing, figuratively speaking, on racist creeds. Meaning really offending the racists.

Thanks for explaining that..I didn't really understand the meaning of it!

maybe just to tease fans ; nothng to do with the other stuff. Or being a prankster that he was.

You guys are funny :lol: Why MJ would want to tease fans in antiracist video? Keep your mind clean and innocent and you will be able to avoid this kind of thinking. :)

You guys are funny :lol: Why MJ would want to tease fans in antiracist video? Keep your mind clean and innocent and you will be able to avoid this kind of thinking. :)

Oh sht! Sorry I didnt mean it that way - I just meant like, they were two seperate things! I do apologize.

who is jealous from michael's crotch grap and saying that he offended instead of saying the truth that he is being jealous ???!!!! LOL

I remember I had to wait after midnight for the premiere because it was " controversial ".
And yes, it was, in a good way, of course !
A lot of symbolism, which was not recognised at that time. A true master-piece.
Of course, most of the ppl were paying attention to his dance and smashing the car and they said it could be a bad influence for young ppl. But they did not say there was a nazi-symol on the car window.
That video is a small movie itself, like all of his art work videos .

The graffiti wasn't on the cars in the original version, that was added to show MJ destroying obvious racism, and not the subtle racism so people would overlook what it symbolizes. The original video was made to show MJ smashing up the ghetto, the place where many Black people are trapped in because of the racist White Flight which left little to no decent businesses or job opportunities. He is smashing up poverty in the video. Royal Arms hotel is destroyed because Royal refers to kings, imperialists, the government. He growls at the George Washington statue since the "Oh so perfect founding father" was in fact a racist slave owner.

Thanks for the explanations, guys, I didn't know all these things either, because in my country there are not so many black people and we don't have that same kind of history of racism that America does. So I've never had to think about it really that much. But this thread really made me think about this issue, so thank you for that! It's a real eye opener, how political Michael really was with his music and art. Most people don't realize that or overlook it.

I've also been reading about his earlier career and for instance, I didn't know that on some of his earlier tours the KKK came to smash some car windows in the parking lot during his concerts so that people wouldn't support a black artist. That's really scary and sick. Also I've been thinking that Tom Sneddon must be part of the KKK or something like that. It was really scary to look at some fan-made video footage of the trial where you could see the hatred of some ignorant people that were basically demanding that they should "hang the nigger". I was really shaken when I saw that. It's so strange to think that racism is so alive still today.

I have NEVER been offended by Michael's crotch grabbing.....nope...never...:ninja:

Back