This Is It (single) - The Verdict - New York Times

seany

Proud Member
''I’m with you –”This Is It” won’t be on anyone's list of favorite Michael Jackson songs, even if it’s a long list. I’m holding out some small hope about later posthumous releases for exactly the reason you suggest: that the song was chosen for its title, those three little words that were so heavily promoted. “This Is It” was a fine bit of ambiguity from the moment the London shows were announced. This is what? A new beginning? A last stand? We didn’t know it would mean farewell before it started.''

''And it’s an odd choice to signal Jackson’s re-emergence. The song itself is a trifle, a mildly ornery and defensive lyric over a sketch of lush harmonies to come. For “Michael Jackson: The Lost Tapes,” maybe, it would be a welcome curio, but ultimately “This Is It” sticks out as a song chosen more for its title than its meaning. My fear, JP, is that it’s not a question mark missing after those words, but a period.''

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/12/the-new-michael-jackson-single-the-verdict/?hp

Great read actually, refreshing and intellectually written.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with them.

short and well sweet ?

Shame the media are again hurting on MJ's talent ut i love the song but i agree that it was mainly chosen to be te song to promote the movie because of the title "this is it".
I doubt Michael planned to release this single to coincide with the concerts and hold onto the hope that sony will someday realize that we want Michael !!! and release a great classic from the unreleased vaults untouched by the techs and left as it is from the mind of 1 Michael Jackson!

Back