06-08 Feb {Update for Feb 8, 2009 on post #21}

mariemarie

Guests
Hello ya'll. Everything is settled for the weekend, I hope. Peace and love =)​

Best make out music

RIGHT now, one of the words most tossed around in recent Filipino slang is MOMOL, which stands for “Make Out Make Out Lang” and is used to describe relationships of a more—physical nature.
“So, are you guys officially dating?”
“Well…MOMOL.”​

Since then, there have been variants like MOMON (Make Out Make Out Na), MOMOR (Make Out Make Out and More), MOMOP (Make Out Make Out Pa), MOMOX (Make Out Make Out Extreme) and KAKAL (I’ll let you guys figure this out for yourselves).​

However, there is something that makes MOMOL more than just MOMOL and I’m not talking about getting into relationships. Why commit when you can just have Make Out Make Out Music (MOMOM)? It makes things more dramatic and romantic than what they really are, and there’s nothing like listening to U2’s “One” while MOMOLing in the car.​

I know this is more information than you’d like to stomach-but I was introduced to the concept of making out to music late in life; two years ago, to be more precise. And when I discovered, through my ex-girlfriend (thank you, you know who you are), the mind-blowing possibility that two people could actually make out to a playlist, I stopped kissing her and spent the next two hours programming my “on-the-go playlist.”​

So without further ado, I present to you Super’s 2009 Make Out Playlist. If you’re reading this in the morning, I suggest you search these songs out now to ensure a wonderful Valentine’s Day!​

1. Massive Attack—“Protection.” Almost no other genre says MOMOL more than Trip Hop. So begin with the quintessential Trip Hop collective and pair it with the very soothing and female-friendly voice of Everything but the Girl’s Tracey Thorn. Clocking at almost eight minutes, this is one of the best songs to get each other in the mood and a great beginning to that MOMOL session!​

2. Mazzy Star—“Fade Into You.” Then you should probably segue into this mid-90s folksy alternative classic, a song both distant yet offering the promise of love.​

3. Broken Social Scene—“Lover’s Spit.” Track 3 might be a good time to shift into something a little more obscure and current. “Lover’s Spit” is a deathly sexy song, and bonus points for you if you get the version with Feist singing in it!​

4. Jeff Buckley—“Last Goodbye.” One of my favorite music critics, Jason Caballa, once said: “People only love Jeff Buckley because he’s dead.” I must disagree with Mr. Caballa on that comment. People love Jeff Buckley because he is so great at making make out music. I’m positive that at
2:04, when Buckley croons, “Kiss me, please kiss me. But kiss me out of desire, babe, and not consolation,” a thousand couples have bit harder and kissed more passionately.​

5. Lauryn Hill—“Ex-Factor.” Fewer Hip-Hop/R&B artists do it more soulfully than Lauryn Hill. “Ex-factor,” her best song from “The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill,” is both painful and sexy at the same time.​

6. Radiohead—“Nude.” Few things are sexier than taste and intellect, and nothing is more tasteful or intelligent than Radiohead. “Nude” is their most ethereal, atmospheric MOMOL masterpiece.​

7. Drip—“To You.” Time to go local, and my vote for sexiest Pinoy act goes to Drip. “To You,” from their 2005 debut “Far Side of The World,” has the best combination of drums and bass, floaty guitar sounds and Beng Calma’s come-hither voice that guarantees suave kissing action.​

8. Elliot Smith—“Say Yes.” A guitar and a guy, nothing could be sweeter. If it worked for the first kiss between Minnie Driver and Matt Damon in “Good Will Hunting,” it will work for you.​

9. Peter Gabriel—“In Your Eyes.” OH. MY. GOD. I put this in the middle because this is the best. Playing this song will subliminally invoke images of John Cusack holding a boom box outside Ione Skye’s house in “Say Anything,” and for five minutes and 30 seconds, the two of you will have the illusion that you are ACTUALLY IN LOVE.​

10. The Cure—“Lovesong.” Time to speed things up a bit, and what better song to do that than this New Wave masterpiece? The 311 version works too, I guess.​

11. Paula Abdul—“Rush Rush.” This will probably get in the way of a smooth-flowing MOMOL session, but then it could go two ways: a.) your date will stop, pull back, and be confounded or b.) your date will stop, pull back, and you will sing the song together, resulting in a sweet, funny moment. It must be said (though this really has nothing to do with anything) that the video with Keanu Reeves is a classic.​

12. Michael Jackson—“Rock With You.” A risky choice, to be sure. This might give your date the wrong idea, especially if he/she is much younger. It’s a great song though, so what the hell.

13. Serge Gainsbourg and Brigitte Bardot—“Bonnie and Clyde.” They say that French is the most romantic language, and this 1960s gem from two of the biggest sex icons of the time may seem kind of weird, but it works.​

14. Prefab Sprout—“When Love Breaks Down.” Prefab Sprout was very much an underappreciated New Wave band that wrote lovely pop songs full of yearning and melancholy. “When Love Breaks Down” is my personal favorite song of theirs—it’s quite sad, but then I find that most good MOMOM is.​

15. Ella del Rosario—“O, Lumapit Ka.” Yes, this will probably elicit laughs, but in an ideal world, this Manila Sound classic will be the perfect precedent to getting it on.​

16. Marvin Gaye—“Sexual Healing.” Speaking of getting it on, as we wrap up it might be time to start dropping hints. This beautiful 1982 pop ditty just might get you MOMOR, if that’s what you’re looking for.​

17. MGMT—“Electric Feel.” It’s best to seal the deal on a high note, and I can think of nothing better than my personal favorite song of 2008. It’s new, it’s cool, it will make yo’ bodies move, b*tch. So good luck with your playlists, friends, whether or not you decide to choose mine. After all, to quote “Electric Feel”—“This is what the world is for: making electricity.”​

‘I’m always thinking of compositions’

Even in the West, pop [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]music[/color][/color] receives much more hype than Western classical. Yehudi Menuhin is such a great artiste but it’s a completely different story of hype for a Madonna or a Michael Jackson!” says Pt Shivkumar Sharma, when asked how he felt at AR Rahman’s global fame.​

“But, I believe he (Rahman) is one to have introduced electronic music to films. Other composers rely heavily on programmers,” adding, “Earlier, we used to have arrangers. While the producers would also compose the interludes, the arranger would garnish them keeping in mind the individual styles. That hardly happens now.”
Is this the reason for his absence from composing film scores now? “Time is a constraint besides I hardly get subjects that interest me.”​

Today in
Michael Jackson History
2003 - Michael Jackson released a statement regarding his unhappiness with the way in which he was portrayed in the 90-minute documentary "Living With Michael Jackson."

2003 - ABC's "20/20" aired the British documentary "Living With Michael Jackson." In the show Jackson revealed that he somtimes let children sleep in his bed.

neverland.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 06-08 Feb Weekend Mentionings and News

Thanks! Great post !! I know almost half of those songs. lol

"I never heard my dad talk about sports at the dinner table while growing up. In fact, it took Michael Jordan three championships for my Dad to stop mixing him up with Michael Jackson."

- A soccer blog by Luis Arroyave http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagot...2009/02/conde-is-ready-to-join-fire-camp.html

Down the line

“Down the Line 3.0: Legends From Locals” is expanding its musical horizons this year. For the first time, the popular Embassy Theatre fundraiser will pay tribute to several black musicians, including Bob Marley, Aretha Franklin, Jimi Hendrix and Marvin Gaye.

“Before this year, it was definitely white dudes singing songs by other white dudes,” event organizer Matt Kelley says. “Not intentionally, of course. But that was definitely how it ended up. And over the years, we’ve struggled to find a great female presence, too. So to have Fatima (Washington) is neat; it makes it so it’s not just a bunch of people singing songs originally performed by men.”

As usual, the artists chosen by Kelley are musicians who regularly perform in local clubs, bars and coffeehouses. In many ways, the concert should be considered a “thank you” of sorts to all of the people who keep live music going in Fort Wayne, Kelley says.

“These are the people who are doing it week in, week out,” he says.

“They’re contributing to the artistic or cultural excitement of the scene. They’re all out there doing things, providing viable artistic options for people to see. We get so many demos and samples from people who want to put together a supergroup for this concert. For me, this concert is a reward for the people who are slugging it out every day.”
Here’s the lineup for this year’s show, which kicks off with Brian Lemert performing music by Jimi Hendrix at 7 p.m.

Brian Lemert on Jimi Hendrix: “It’s an honor. Being asked to play Jimi Hendrix means someone thinks I can handle it. It’s a compliment to be asked, and I’m happy and proud to do it. I usually play in guitar-driven bands. And if you’re a guitar player and you don’t like Hendrix, there’s something wrong.

“If you play in a three-piece and don’t acknowledge your debt to Hendrix, you haven’t done your homework. Having grown up researching and listening to bootlegs, I know Hendrix never played anything like he did on the record. That’s one of the reasons I like him – the improvising that went on live. So my performance isn’t going to be ‘this guitar lead sounds just like the record.’ The whole idea is for local artists to pay tribute these artists. So, needless to say, I’m not going on stage in a headband.”

Lee Miles & The Illegitimate Sons on The Band: “Matt Kelley asked if we would cover The Band, but we would’ve picked them anyhow. We typically put a couple of The Band’s songs into our sets anyway. It’s the perfect setup, because we have four vocalists and we all love that type of music anyway – the good, vocal harmonies.

“We collaborated on which songs to play – ‘The Weight,’ of course – but we chose some you might not have heard before, too.”

Fatima Washington on Aretha Franklin: “She’s the Queen of Soul. There was no way I could pick anyone else to pay tribute to. Anytime you sing songs by someone with a career like Aretha’s, you can’t go into it thinking, ‘I’m going to sing exactly like they do.’ That’s problematic. It’s like dancing. No one does the moon walk exactly like Michael Jackson.

“So I’m not trying to imitate Aretha; I’m paying homage to her music, her style and her voice. I want to do her songs and let people remember the glamour and glitz and drama of the music of her era, but put a little Fatima into that, too.”

Ty Causey on Marvin Gaye: “I want to focus on the vintage stuff, the popular stuff Marvin did during the early ’70s. This is the music that gives us the truer vision of Marvin. But there’s only one Marvin. I have to incorporate myself into his music. A lot of it has to do with his voice. It’s just a total instrument.

“And lyrically, his songs are deep. They’re not something just to shake your head or tap your toes to. He gave you a concept. Like his views on the political world and the stuff you and I go through on a daily basis. He was humbled by life circumstances in that way.”

Jake Wilhelm from Unlikely Alibi on Bob Marley: “Bob Marley has always been an influence for us. We really like the groove and the feel of the music, but with the war and the economic problems we’re all having, he’s a good message to preach right now. With Marley’s music, you really want to do it justice. You don’t want to tinker with it too much.

“For us, picking songs was the toughest part. He has a pretty huge catalog, so we wanted to do a few fan favorites but a few more that are important to us. We ended up spending a few practices just listening to his CDs and thinking about which songs to choose.”

Joe Evans of Left Lane Cruiser on Led Zeppelin: “ They’re a big influence on me, particularly. So it’s been a little discouraging as far as song selection goes. Some of my favorites are not possible as a two-piece. So we’re sticking with more of their bluesy stuff from ‘Led Zeppelin I,’ the raw, heavy stuff. It gives it a fresh take on the music.

“Zeppelin is not a band that should be imitated, especially regarding Robert Plant. Those are big shoes to fill, and I’ve seen guys fall flat on their faces trying to do that. More concerned with playing Zeppelin and making it sound like Left Lane Cruiser. We have one speed and one sound, so we’re going to do it that way.”

http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090206/ENT02/302069977

that crack about momol and rock with you and Michael..i hope the reporter is momoling and driving at the same time.

Everyone have a great weekend!!

It's raining here in sunny California.................:D

that crack about momol and rock with you and Michael..i hope the reporter is momoling and driving at the same time.

LOL, I know. The article I posted were maybe a little blah. But hey, he's on the MOMOL list!

Thanks for the news and mentionings. :flowers:

thanks for the n&m and happy b-day everyone.

Sorry for being late delivering the news thread. Update is coming up!

Michael Jackson Mentionings for Feb 7, 2009:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29052143/

Ne-Yo Does Michael Jackson in Oakland

Michael Jackson may want to alert the Oakland Police Department, Ne-Yo is stealing his moves.

The latest R&B sensation is set to play the eclectic Paramount Theatre in Oakland Friday night at 8 p.m. Ne-Yo is known for his smooth sound and his amazing dance moves that have been compared to Mr. Jackson himself.

The 29-year-old Shaffer Chimere Smith was well known for his song writing and producing skills long before he decided to enter the studio himself. Ne-Yo has written and produced a catalog of chart-topping songs for other artists.But since he started singing, the Oklahoma product has managed five top ten songs on the Billboard Hot 100 and two number-one albums on the Billboard 200.

His first hit was the song he wrote for singer Mario called "Let Me Love You." He released his debut album "In My Own Words" in 2006, which contained the hit "So Sick".

As you would expect tickets are sold out but you can still get your grubby hands on a pair from Stub Hub.

http://www.411mania.com/music/columns/96287/Thrifty-Tunes-02.07.09:-Prince.htm

Growing up in the 80's, you had several important decisions to make about musicians, celebrities, television shows and athletes. Usually the decision involved a choice between two or more people over who was 'the best.' These decisions said more about your character and personality than almost anything else. As Rob says in the movie High Fidelty, '"A while back... [we] agreed that what really matters is what you like, not what you are like. books, records, films -- these things matter! Call me shallow, it's the fucking truth." Some of the most major of these decisions included: Arnold Schwarzenegger or Sylvester Stallone; Batman or Spiderman; Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair; Elle McPherson or Cindy Crawford; Magnum P.I. or Hunter; and the Lakers or the Celtics. (The correct choices, by the way, were Schwarzenegger, Batman, Flair, McPherson, Magnum, and the Lakers.) However, no choice mattered quite as much as your choice between the trinity of pop music singers. The trinity was, of course, Madonna , Michael Jackson and Prince . Occasionally a singer might come close to being considered on equal footing with one of the three, for instance, Rick Springfield in the early 80's and Whitney Houston toward the middle of the decade, but the trinity retained its appeal and domination throughout the 80's. My choice, and again, the correct one, was Prince.

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=317967

In the seventh season of “American Idol,” Cook became a fan favorite with his rock ’n’ roll sensibilities and knack for crafting new arrangements of old classics, including Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean” and Mariah Carey’s “Always Be My Baby.”

http://www.stillwater-newspress.com/features/local_story_038000335.html

“Now I’m going out there,” he said. “I’m going to be dressed like Michael Jackson. That’s stepping outside the box for me. I get cool points just for doing it. I should anyway.”

http://www.mydesert.com/article/20090207/LIFESTYLES01/902070344/1026/news12

The company's 17 dancers will perform an eight-minute pregame routine at 2:45 p.m. It will feature a variety of music ranging from Michael Jackson's “Thriller” to disco.

http://www.ocala.com/article/200902...rammy_nominee_Ne_Yo_to_perform_in_Gainesville

The natural-born storyteller has written for Janet Jackson, Mary J. Blige, Leona Lewis and Celine Dion. He’s also behind “Spotlight” by Jennifer Hudson, Rihanna’s smash hits “Unfaithful” and “Take a Bow” and Beyonce’s wildly popular scorned woman’s anthem “Irreplaceable.” He reportedly is working on songs for Michael Jackson, Lindsay Lohan and Marilyn Manson.

Michael Jackson HIStory for Feb 7, 2009:

1984 - Michael Jackson was inducted into "The Guinness Book Of Records" when sales of the album "Thriller" past 25 million.

1989 - Michael Jackson visited Cleveland School in Stockton, CA. On January 17, 1989, five children were fatally shot in the schoolyard.

2005 - The judge in the Michael Jackson child molestation trial delayed the jury selection process for a week due to a death Thomas Mesereau's family. Mesereau was Jackson's lead attorney.

Re: 06-08 Feb {Update for Feb 7, 2009 on post #15}

thanks dorothy

A great idea came to mind...The Jackson Famly Concert...Starting with Latoya opening, then Rebbie, then Jermaine, then the J5 and then MJ....What a show that would be.....

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/02/grammy-rehear-2.html

Grammy Rehearsals, Day Three: Radiohead, Carrie Underwood, Jonas Brothers, Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, and some dude named Stevie

Speaking of perky ponytails (bad segue), hey, it's the Jonas Brothers! And, because it's already been leaked and CBS said I could tell you, also it's Stevie Wonder! We were first treated to Stevie's band working through the instrumentation of "Superstition" -- you tell me what song has a better horn melody than "Superstition," PopWatchers, because I cannot think of one -- and then a little "Baby Elephant Walk" to kill time. The house started filling up with tweens who I hoped would not squeal too much when the Best New Artist nominees took the stage (they in fact did not squeal at all), and the stage manager came over the P.A. to instruct everyone to put their cameras away for the closed rehearsal. (Note: there were at least a hundred people in this closed rehearsal.) Stevie materialized behind his keyboards to warm up the vocoder, the JoBros milled around behind their guitars, the stage manager counted down... and next thing we knew, a 22-time Grammy winner was robo-singing the intro of "Burnin' Up."
So that means the rumored surprise guest appearance from Michael Jackson isn't happening (at least in this segment), but, um, Joe Jonas was wearing a red nylon jacket, black pants, and white sneakers as he skipped around the stage, so that's something. The medley does not sound un-good -- I especially liked the way the brothers kept saying "C'mon, Stevie!" as though Stevie needed their encouragement -- and it is a high energy three minutes, to be sure, that your teenage daughter will probably very much enjoy and then ask you who was the man in the sunglasses.

So that means the rumored surprise guest appearance from Michael Jackson isn't happening (at least in this segment),

Good lord, every year MJ seems to always be the rumoured surprise artist!

Well this is kinda nice but at the same time you might not want to hear but here goes anyways. Actress Nikki Reed recently revealed to 944 magazine she had a crush on MJ pre-surgery.

Michael Jackson Mentionings for Feb 8, 2009:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/feb/08/1a08grammy223727-artists-way/?zIndex=49822

Relevant or relic?

Difficult times have the industry wondering: Do the Grammys have a future, or is it the beginning of the end?

No other annual music awards fete is as hailed and reviled as the Grammy Awards, which celebrates its 51st anniversary today at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Tonight's star-studded telecast will include performances by everyone from Lil Wayne, Radiohead and The Jonas Brothers to Paul McCartney, Justin Timberlake and trendy newcomer Katy Perry.
But the timing of this year's edition comes at an especially perilous time for the free-falling record industry, if not the Grammys itself, which last year had the second lowest viewing audience (17.17 million) since figures began being compiled by Nielsen Media Research in 1977. It was a drop of more than 3 million from 2007 and nearly 34 million from the record 51.67 million viewers who tuned in to watch Michael Jackson's historic, eight-awards Grammys sweep in 1984.

http://dispatch.com/live/content/li...VIEW.ART_ART_02-08-09_E1_EQCOCDU.html?sid=101

As for headlines, the 51st installment of the awards is poised to repeat history -- if rapper Lil Wayne wins every gilded gramophone for which he's nominated.
Lil Wayne, a court jester in another life, leads all nominees with eight nods, including album of the year, rap album and best use of a tattooed baby. (OK, not a real category, but check out the cover of Tha Carter III.)
If he takes home all eight, Lil Wayne will join Michael Jackson and Carlos Santana as the only male artists to win that many in one night.

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Osnes_and_Sands_to_Star_in_Roundabout_Reading_of_Wildhorns_BONNIE_CLYDE_February_8_and_10_20090208

Don has written a quintet of James Bond theme songs - Thunderball, Diamonds Are Forever, The Man With The Golden Gun, Surrender form Tomorrow Never Dies and The World Is Not Enough. Among his many popoular songs are Michael Jackson's Ben and Lulu's To Sir With Love, both U.S. number one hits. Last year he was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=1763
This year, New Orleans rapper Lil Wayne has raked eight nominations for the Grammys, making it the most nominations this year. [Michael Jackson and Babyface have the record number of 12 nominations in a single year for Grammys]. British rockers Coldplay followed closely with seven.

Yes unfortnately it did

I think bout it time 2 time and always get sad when it comes to my mind :(

Me too! I just wanted to cry when i read this.That was the beggining of lies , paparazzi frenzy , rumors , media bout plastic surgery , fre'ck - the whole madness.Its just SAD.Very painfull for us fans.

I will die if Lil' Wayne takes all 8 grammys. I think he is very overrated and the majority of his songs are mediocre at best. However he probably will get all of them just because he has been very popular this last year; I just don't see what people see in him…

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/02/grammy-rehear-2.html

Grammy Rehearsals, Day Three: Radiohead, Carrie Underwood, Jonas Brothers, Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, and some dude named Stevie

Speaking of perky ponytails (bad segue), hey, it's the Jonas Brothers! And, because it's already been leaked and CBS said I could tell you, also it's Stevie Wonder! We were first treated to Stevie's band working through the instrumentation of "Superstition" -- you tell me what song has a better horn melody than "Superstition," PopWatchers, because I cannot think of one -- and then a little "Baby Elephant Walk" to kill time. The house started filling up with tweens who I hoped would not squeal too much when the Best New Artist nominees took the stage (they in fact did not squeal at all), and the stage manager came over the P.A. to instruct everyone to put their cameras away for the closed rehearsal. (Note: there were at least a hundred people in this closed rehearsal.) Stevie materialized behind his keyboards to warm up the vocoder, the JoBros milled around behind their guitars, the stage manager counted down... and next thing we knew, a 22-time Grammy winner was robo-singing the intro of "Burnin' Up."
So that means the rumored surprise guest appearance from Michael Jackson isn't happening (at least in this segment), but, um, Joe Jonas was wearing a red nylon jacket, black pants, and white sneakers as he skipped around the stage, so that's something. The medley does not sound un-good -- I especially liked the way the brothers kept saying "C'mon, Stevie!" as though Stevie needed their encouragement -- and it is a high energy three minutes, to be sure, that your teenage daughter will probably very much enjoy and then ask you who was the man in the sunglasses.

give up the 'rumoured appearance of Michael' ish. you're not getting me to watch, grammy people. he's not coming on. you keep doing this every year!!!

I will die if Lil' Wayne takes all 8 grammys. I think he is very overrated and the majority of his songs are mediocre at best. However he probably will get all of them just because he has been very popular this last year; I just don't see what people see in him…

yeah. i notice how the hallmark has to be 8. obviously that has to do with Michael. i mean, they never say 9. lol. and at this point, it's easy to believe that if someone gets 9 or 8, it's phony, cus you can't tell me that the academy isn't trying to top Michael. it was inspired then, with MJ. it would be deliberate and uninspired, now. cus with MJ, it was a first, and the number just happened to be 8.

give up the 'rumoured appearance of Michael' ish. you're not getting me to watch, grammy people. he's not coming on. you keep doing this every year!!!

You are absolutely right about that. It's a bad way to advertise/promote the grammy!

Thanks for the news, DM, Victory, and Marie.

BTW, who the hell is Nikki Reed? I have never heard of this person. So, she must have stopped having a crush on Mike because he decided to have plastic surgery? What a shallow bastard. LOL. I have a crush on Mike and I am not gonna stop because he decided to have work done on his face.

So, Stevie might be something with the JoBros? WHY?!!!! LOL. I mean, if Stevie worked with Chris Brown I can totally accept, but the JoBros? Ugh! Maybe he is doing that because his younger children are fans of the JoBros. Gosh, what kid does not like those brothers? The Obama girls love them, Stevie's kids love them and I would be shocked if Mike's children like them.

And why am I so not shocked that the media was already making rumors that Mike might have been the "rumored" surprise guest appaerance? The same laughable media that did everything they could to destroy this man still gives a damn if he is rumored to be at the Grammys are not.

And why am I so not shocked that the media was already making rumors that Mike might have been the "rumored" surprise guest appaerance? The same laughable media that did everything they could to destroy this man still gives a damn if he is rumored to be at the Grammys are not.

Correct.

F### the press Michael - you're the best!

prolly cuz every damn yr since 01 they've wondered if mj wouldcome cuz he was the suprise performer for nsync @ the vmas

Back