'87 vocals vs '88 vocals?

SkyWalk

Proud Member
What are the better vocals? Bad tour '87 or '88?

Yokohama 87 is the holy grail of vocal performances for me.

Hard to answer, he had so many great vocals on both legs of that tour.. I'd have to go back and listen :D But I agree with innuendo, Yokohama is something else.. I listen to Yokohama's live versions of songs like TIDFY, HH & LO even more than the album versions, he sounds absolutely amazing

Heartbreak Hotel at Yokohama 87 is my favourite MJ performance of all time.

I think the '89 vocals are out of this world! I like the grunt in his voice!

For me '87 he has on point pitch all round clean vocals. Where as '87 he has a grittier more stylised vocal which he pretty much used for the rest of his career.

Yeah his voice in 87 was something else. Yokohama is a fantastic vocal performance, even the "Aow" after "your a vegetable" in WBSS is incredible pitch. Agree with innuendo also, that performance of HH is a masterclass.

Yeah his voice in 87 was something else. Yokohama is a fantastic vocal performance, even the "Aow" after "your a vegetable" in WBSS is incredible pitch. Agree with innuendo also, that performance of HH is a masterclass.

Because of The Legend Continues it was the first live performance of MJ (other than Motown 25) that I had ever seen, and since day 0 it has been the best performance I've ever seen of any song. It's mind blowing. The energy, the voice, the transformation of the song into a faster aggressive eruption of blissful music. Everything about it is perfect, Michael, Jennifer, Greg's direction, the backing singers, the subtle intro (I always liked how behind the silhouette Michael did less dancing, giving a "less is more" aspect to it, just letting his shadow do the work, before throwing the hat off.

Absolutely 100% perfect.

87 had the better vocals, but 88 had the better setlist

Would love to have heard MJ sing Dirty Diana in 87. I only recently found out that he sang Thriller in the original key in Tokyo and its brilliant.

Yes, it would have been better if he had performed more Bad songs in '87 but then I LOVE songs like Things I Do For You (one of my fave underrated songs).

His vocals were top notch in '87. In fact, now I am watching Yokohama on YT again. You guys just reminded me of what a great show it was. My fave part is Shake Your Body - so sexy. :p

His vocals were top notch in '87. In fact, now I am watching Yokohama on YT again. You guys just reminded me of what a great show it was. My fave part is Shake Your Body - so sexy. :p

Man I'm on my own in the office again and I've that boot on all morning. I've been re-blown away by IJCSLY and Bad particularly, because they wouldn't be normally ones I'd select, probably because they were the only Bad songs we had in HQ live for years and years!

That breakdown in Shake Your Body......

I wish that he would have performed Another Part Of Me in 87.

I wish that he would have performed Another Part Of Me in 87.

Just listening to New York 88... His voice isn't far off 87 in most songs, Another Part of Me sounds amazing, way closer to the original, singing the original lyrics too.

This is a show I would love in pro quality. Not HQ, Not HD, just pro would do for me!

His voice in the first leg when he sang Thriller was fantastic, it's close to the album voice. I wish that he would have performed TWYMMF in 87' I that will be very good.
I only recently found out that he sang Thriller in the original key in Tokyo and its brilliant.
Where did you found this? I know that his voice was amazing in the first leg when he sing it, but in Tokyo he used the original key?

88' vocals all the way baby!

His voice in the first leg when he sang Thriller was fantastic, it's close to the album voice. I wish that he would have performed TWYMMF in 87' I that will be very good.

Where did you found this? I know that his voice was amazing in the first leg when he sing it, but in Tokyo he used the original key?

Think I was wrong.... Oops

How come his voice slightly changed? Was it because the strain of performing all year in '87?

I think 1987 and 1988 are amazing! no way, all from bad era is best.

How come his voice slightly changed? Was it because the strain of performing all year in '87?

Yeah id imagine so. Plus he was 30+ now so Id imagine hos voice was going through some changes like lots of other artists who hit their 30s i guess. Bowie being one. Freddie mercurys voice changed around then.

The editing of the Wembley audio is shit. Yokohama is far better produced, nothing compares to TWYMMF/BAD & SC in MSG of course.. Billie Jean slays in late 1988, WBSS i'd say 87, IJCSLY would have to be 1989 but the 'BAD' ad libs would have to be Minneapolis.. for MITM ad libs i'd say Wembley July 14th or MSG (leaked very clean amateur recording)

Just listening to New York 88... His voice isn't far off 87 in most songs, Another Part of Me sounds amazing, way closer to the original, singing the original lyrics too.

This is a show I would love in pro quality. Not HQ, Not HD, just pro would do for me!

Me too. I want to see Smooth Criminal sung live

What do we know about the '87 rehearsals? When did they take place? Were there any songs performed in rehearsals that never made the '87 shows? There might be a hidden gem like The way you make me feel or smooth criminal performed by Michael in '87!!!!

What do we know about the '87 rehearsals? When did they take place? Were there any songs performed in rehearsals that never made the '87 shows? There might be a hidden gem like The way you make me feel or smooth criminal performed by Michael in '87!!!!

I remember reading somewhere that he didn't rehearse any songs from the 88 list in 87 because IJCSLY and Bad were the only singles out then by the time he toured Japan and Australia and he wanted to perform the singles. A travesty though.

Well I'd have to say I'd love to hear more vocal exchanges between Crow and Michael in 87.... I wish that part was not cut out.. even when Crow wasn't there, I was glad they brought it back for This Is It!

I was just about to contradict myself because 88 has some magic that 87 doesn't have also... I'll just say give me both

Because of The Legend Continues it was the first live performance of MJ (other than Motown 25) that I had ever seen, and since day 0 it has been the best performance I've ever seen of any song. It's mind blowing. The energy, the voice, the transformation of the song into a faster aggressive eruption of blissful music. Everything about it is perfect, Michael, Jennifer, Greg's direction, the backing singers, the subtle intro (I always liked how behind the silhouette Michael did less dancing, giving a "less is more" aspect to it, just letting his shadow do the work, before throwing the hat off.

Absolutely 100% perfect.
In Tokyo concert Michael performed it without the curtain:

I think it works like that too. That was the first Bad Tour concert I believe. It would be great to see the full show with better quality.

Back