A Place With No Name (Second Single from Xscape) Discussion

donalb;4031956 said:
Indeed. Some may see this as a bit of a rip off. Not sure i would be happy with someone using the music for one of Michael's songs and changing the lyrics. I really like both versions but prefer the newer version which helps to somewhat avoid this issue

Since when covers are called "rip offs"? And Michael asked the permission of America to change the lyrics. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

[h=1]America Respond To Michael Jackson's "A Place With No Name"[/h]

By Daniel Kreps
July 20, 2009 12:09 PM ET

Last week, TMZ unearthed an excerpt of an unreleased Michael Jackson song titled "A Place With No Name," which borrowed heavily from America's 1971 hit "A Horse With No Name." America members Dewey Bunnell and Gerry Beckley addressed the song in a statement this weekend, saying they were "honored" that Jackson opted to reinterpret their tune. "A Place With No Name" is the first of what's been rumored to be a vast vault of unreleased Jackson material that might be released after the singer's June 25th death.
"We're honored that Michael Jackson chose to record it and we're impressed with the quality of the track. We're also hoping it will be released soon so that music listeners around the world can hear the whole song and once again experience the incomparable brilliance of Michael Jackson," Bunnell and Beckley said in the statement. "Michael Jackson really did it justice and we truly hope his fans — and our fans — get to hear it in its entirety. It's really poignant."
TMZ quoted America's former manager Jim Morey — who also at one point served as Jackson's manager — as saying, "America was honored that Michael chose to do their song and they hope it becomes available for all Michael's fans to hear." As America noted in their statement, this isn't the first time a member of the Jackson family has used their music: Janet Jackson's 2001 hit "Someone to Call My Lover" sampled America's "Ventura Highway." Details surrounding "A Place With No Name" remain sketchy, as TMZ couldn't put a year to go with the recording. No plans have been made for the song's full version to be released, as only a 24-second clip exists thus far.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...s-a-place-with-no-name-20090720#ixzz38neAyzPL
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Re: L.A. Reid confirms A Place With No Name is the next single (released on August 11)

Since when covers are called "rip offs"? And Michael asked the permission of America to change the lyrics. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I fully agree with you and am well aware of America's appreciation of what Michael did with this song. I also believe that Michael was inspired to create this version because he loved their song so much. It was clearly done with love and respect. Nevertheless, some of the general public and critics may not be as understanding and may see things a bit differently than you or I. Also, to be fair, this is not a "true" cover version of the song which so many artist do all the time. It is a reworked version of the song with different lyrics which is not exactly the same thing. As I said, I personally love both versions but I prefer the newer one partly because it gives more of the spotlight to Michael while still honoring America's song. I guess I am a bit selfish :)

Last edited:
Re: L.A. Reid confirms A Place With No Name is the next single (released on August 11)

I fully agree with you and am well aware of America's appreciation of what Michael did with this song. I also believe that Michael was inspired to create this version because he loved their song so much. It was clearly done with love and respect. Nevertheless, some of the general public and critics may not be as understanding and may see things a bit differently than you or I. Also, to be fair, this is not a "true" cover version of the song which so many artist do all the time. It is a reworked version of the song with different lyrics which is not exactly the same thing. As I said, I personally love both versions but I prefer the newer one partly because it gives more of the spotlight to Michael in my selfish opinion

If "some of the general public" would try to call it a "rip off" they would be clearly wrong. Reworking a song is not a "rip off" either. "Ripping off" a song means you steal it. "Ripping off" a song is when you use a song or a part of it and fail to give credit to its original writers. "Ripping off" this song would be Michael acting like he wrote it without giving credit to America. Michael did not do any such thing, so I do not see the problem at all.

I'm interested in the rough 8-minute version of the song.

Would love to hear the 8 minute long version.

they have to release the full demo as an extended version when the single is out (together with other remixes ie.).

i just want to hear mj adlibing in that song!

How many singles are they going to release in total actually?

^Three Officially, and Loving You as a bridging single, as i understood.

^Three Officially, and Loving You as a bridging single, as i understood.

Awwww shitttt.... I really hope that Chicago is going to be 3rd single then...

Awwww shitttt.... I really hope that Chicago is going to be 3rd single then...

If APWNN is a hit, perhaps they will consider releasing more than just 3 singles. But soooooooo much depends on the promotion. In the last 3 days, for example, I have seen the trailer for the new Planet of the Apes movie on TV about 100 times to coincide with its release in Belgium yesterday and I barely watch TV. It seems that they show at least one clip on every commercial break, sometimes more than one. This movie can't help but to be HUGE here after all of this promotion. Hoping they have big plans for the release of APWNN

Well I personally dont think that XSCAPE will reach #1 but the singles might be #1.
If it's true that there is going to be an XSCAPE 2.0 then there is a big chance that that album will be #1.

Promotion will only help the single to reach for number 1. Not the album. It has been nearly 3 months since its release.

Well I personally dont think that XSCAPE will reach #1 but the singles might be #1.
If it's true that there is going to be an XSCAPE 2.0 then there is a big chance that that album will be #1.

Promotion will only help the single to reach for number 1. Not the album. It has been nearly 3 months since its release.

Thanks! But I am not aiming for number 1 for this album. What would be nice is longevity and steady sales week over week if the following singles are successful

9 days to go until the release of APWNN. Getting very excited now! Can't wait to see how the public reacts to this song

Love the part when he sings "She says this is the place where no people have pain, with love and happiness. She turned around, looked down in my eyes, and started crying, and grabbed my hand, you've got a friend". The juxtaposition of Michael's voice and emotion with the beat created by StarGate is pure magic here. It is the stuff which hits are made of

Has there been any official confirmation? In the article at the start of this thread LA only says they HOPE to release it on the 11th.

Love the part when he sings "She says this is the place where no people have pain, with love and happiness. She turned around, looked down in my eyes, and started crying, and grabbed my hand, you've got a friend". The juxtaposition of Michael's voice and emotion with the beat created by StarGate is pure magic here. It is the stuff which hits are made of

:agree: It's as if he was describing Paradise (or Heaven, or whatever term people may use for life beyond this world)!

Has there been any official confirmation? In the article at the start of this thread LA only says they HOPE to release it on the 11th.

You are right. No official confirmation of the date that I am aware of. I am hoping for the best :)

Not sure if this is true, but I just read on Wikipedia that APWNN will be released to urban AC stations in the US on 12 August. Although I am happy to hear this, I really hope they have bigger plans than this

Re: L.A. Reid confirms A Place With No Name is the next single (released on Augus...

The world reacted differently. They found it entertaining and they were in awe. Newspapers here in Holland were very positive about the Hologram. And so am I.

The project is entertaining enough and better than old video montages glued on top of a new song. Sure, it's not Michael. But it has somehow the magic that Michael had on stage. Non fans/regular concert goers thought it was state of the art, which it is!

I think the hologram experience was awesome and they can absolutely continue it with a place without no name.

Can they work onthe face more other than that i think It is state of the art.

Does anyone know if APWNN will be getting an "I Heart Radio" premiere like they did for LNFSG? I remember the day after the Usher LNFSG performance, all "I Heart Radio" stations played the MJ/JT version every hour on the hour! It was awesome, but I rarely heard it on the radio after that day...

Hopefully APWNN will get more airplay..

When APWNN gets the same airplay as LNFSG it will be great. LNFSG is really played regulary on radio stations.

I don't see the point of this so called hologram being in a video. This so called hologram is made for stage illusion. In a video it kind of loses its function since in video you can do lot better animation than this, so why go with this poorly animated stuff that barely resembles Michael?

Does anyone know if APWNN will be getting an "I Heart Radio" premiere like they did for LNFSG? I remember the day after the Usher LNFSG performance, all "I Heart Radio" stations played the MJ/JT version every hour on the hour! It was awesome, but I rarely heard it on the radio after that day...

Hopefully APWNN will get more airplay..

I hope it will get a lot of airplay as well. Regarding, LNFSG, I guess it depends on your station format and region. Where I live, I hear the song very regularly on multiple stations.

Last edited:

Hope we'll get a CD-single relase for this.

Hope we'll get a CD-single relase for this.

Me too! Along with a lot of banner ads on iTunes, etc. I really hope they go all out for this release

cd release with lots of remixes / alternate mixes / extended mixes (long demo version and early versions!)

i'd pay anything for smth like this.

I just pray that the cd release is better than the one for LNFSG. That was a total let down.

Logged onto Amazon yesterday and 'A Place With No Name' was on the from page as available to buy.

Not sure if it was there due my browsing history or because it's a single?

Either way, best MJ single since 'Stranger In Moscow'.

Facebook: The director of the short film for the song thought this “Place” was a good location for his shoot.

10364204_10152640414641473_5845434312780642204_n.png

Back