A Place Without No Name (Stargate 2014) Stream

Something I've just realised. Don't base your opinion of this track on the opening minute alone. Compare the opening verse to the end of the song, it layers nicely!

I haven't heard this demo, or any of the others that will be on Xscape (so perhaps I have something great to look forward to there), but I think this is easily the best track showcased so far. I prefer this by far to the Timbaland stuff. Great melodies, great beat, great performance from MJ.

It's also the track that I feel feels the most "finished". No idea if that's true or not, but to me this feels like something MJ might've released himself. The other three tracks are good but I felt they were lacking something that a finished MJ track would've had. This one doesn't feel like that to me. Dunno, just a feeling I suppose.

Never was a fan of Timbaland so that colors my perception of course but this is *the* track so far for me.

He didn't ? Who did it ?
Seems like i wasn't enough online last time.
So then... whoever produce it did ruin it...
Stargate produced this track.

sure the full album is a Desaster..
I don't care if people play this in clubs and disco..
More important for me is to have a Sound which really fit Michael's Style...
This album sounds like Justin Bieber produced it...
I'm really, really disappointed.

OK after more listenings, I'm sad they copied Leave me alone as others mentioned (listen to leave me alone starting at 10 seconds, it's exactly the same as the backbeat in here, absolutely no difference)

arnpecs says "You still get the demos. Give the dramatics a rest."

Well, that would make this thread very boring if everyone agrees...

the chorus is better on the stargate version. since i hear more michael!

Ok after hearing the 30 second preview and seeing the polarized response to APWNN i decided to listen to it 1 time!(sorry guys over at the oldschool head thread ) As the song started i was a bit bewildered by it's approach, it was fierce and in your face. The further in i got the more susceptible i became and halfway in the third verse i was dancing doing all kind of crazy stuff. This is what i think about it

The Guitar riffs should not have been omitted. I'm just too fond of the original and it's warm approach with real instruments and i sincerely believe that they could have interjected the riffs somewhere in the production

Why in the love of god did they not include that bassline that was prevalent in the third verse on the whole song? It was in the third verse things started to get smelly!

I love the fact that they re-used one of the "Woohoooo" for the last chorus! The chorus is really the highlight of the song, it's poignant and strong. Though, I wish it was a bit longer because i love those adlibs he does in the end [of the original].

I must commend them for trying to bring Michael closer to today's market and sound. Even though it lacked proper direction and overall a tangible character i can still feel Michael's essence in the song. I can go on about details and what i personally think Michael wouldn't do in terms of production but yeah Mike ain't here anymore so I guess we'll never know how is attitude would have been in 2014. I will be bumping The Re-work and The Original when the CD arrives!

I like this track very much .. :) I was jamming to it. but I Love the demo. Im not getting anyone saying this is ruined. Its just different than the demo and still very powerful. Just because you may like the demo better as I do doesn't mean this isnt a great track. Listen to it a few times as Michael says. The more I hear it the better I like it :)

makes me laugh, if they never heard the demo it would be a different story, i like the new version and it wouldn't surprise me when it comes to the demos of Chicago and Loving You people will say the remake is better (because you are used to that version and see it as the original)

This track will be the one that is skipped over when I play the album with 0 plays in my iTunes.
Honestly, I'm happy we get to hear the full Slave to the Rhythm tonight because I know Timbaland will deliver unlike these Stargate guys. Also, the beginning of APWNN sounds like a club edit done on Virtual DJ with the looping of the ad-libs. Just a weird and messy production.:big_boss:

This track will be the one that is skipped over when I play the album with 0 plays in my iTunes.
Honestly, I'm happy we get to hear the full Slave to the Rhythm tonight because I know Timbaland will deliver unlike these Stargate guys. Also, the beginning of APWNN sounds like a club edit done on Virtual DJ with the looping of the ad-libs. Just a weird and messy production.:big_boss:

how many songs have been produced by Timbaland, and how many by stargate?

Ok after hearing the 30 second preview and seeing the polarized response to APWNN i decided to listen to it 1 time!(sorry guys over at the oldschool head thread )

Naughty!
h5F321DB5

:lol:

how many songs have been produced by Timbaland, and how many by stargate?
To my knowledge: Love Never Felt So Good (Duet), Chicago, Loving You, Slave to the Rhythm, Blue Gangsta and Do You Know Where Your Children Are all produced by Timbaland (6) and Stargate: A Place With No Name (1). The 3 full tracks we've heard from Timbaland (Love Never Felt So Good (Duet), Chicago, Loving You) all sound excellent to me, but we all have different taste. I just think this version of APWNN belongs on a maxi single and not the official album imo.

I'm really digging this a lot even with the obvious LMA influence, but it is JAMMIN' I'm going to play this tonight at the local skatepark.

I must say, without wanting to offend anyone, that I'm surprised that so many people like the Timbaland productions. To me, those sound pretty lifeless when compared to this song or LNFSG solo (too bad about the mastering issues there though). Chicago is a good song but I find the production to be pretty pointless (some of the background synth things are pretty nice though), and the drums sounds are horrendous.
Loving you could've been a lot better as well I think.

This song sounds a lot more lively to my ears, as do LVFSG.

Just finally listened to this song. I enjoyed the "desk clerk bell ding" goin' on.

I can see how the start of the song is...something to "get used to" and not what most of us would have imagined for the first few verses, but it blends better with the song as the song progresses. So it is important to take the song in as a whole unit when evaluating it, I should think. This could really be a song that improves with each listen.

It does build, and one thing I really thought was a tasty embellishment was at @2:00 when an organ that has that great deep sound, like one would hear on a carousel, comes in behind MJ singing the lyrics, "Where kids are playing and people are smiling..." A nice touch.

It is fun to be really listening for the sounds that these varied producers are bringing into these MJ songs. I'm sure MJ would be enjoying that; he so loved to experiment with sounds himself, and the layering of his songs. He loved art and creativity. Putting together songs is more than laying down lyrics and a little piano...they are creative, artistic pieces; it's very much like looking at a painting in a museum and watching for all the, what would MJ say, nuances...that the artist put in there.

So I will give the song my second listen now and enjoy picking out the other creative things these two guys did with the song. And I think I will enjoy and appreciate the song more and more as I do. :)

Well its a horse of a different colour, not my favourite on Xscape so far(Loving You is still the best)

Okay.... Honestly... They messed this one up. The original is so much better. They took the life out of the chorus completely!!

On second listen, okay, the verses are bad-ass, the vocals are really front and centre. The music is fascinating, a bold choice. But what did they do to the chorus?! It sounds so weak, diluted, why does it lack the punch and depth and bass of the original? It sounds so badly mixed, as if they turned the volume and treble down by accident. :/

Listening to the demo once again. Oh my God, I actually hate it. It's so unbearably boring. Don't know what Michael/Neff-U were thinking with it.

But so yeah, it sounds like Leave Me Alone. Big deal. Do you really think Michael himself NEVER copied musical ideas or lyrics in his own songs before? This comes from the man who rips off HIStory and I'll Be There in the lyrics to What More Can I Give. The man who reused the Dangerous performance technique of flipping a background dancer in the video to You Rock My World. The man who lifted "You are always in my heart" from You Are Not Alone for Speechless. The man who copied Unbreakable from another song without giving proper credit (can't recall the name of the song right now). He copied himself with quite a bit of his own music, and suggesting otherwise shows complete ignorance.

I'm not saying that people can't like it for what it is. I'm saying that accusing Stargate of copying Michael's music when Michael copied himself on various occasions isn't a valid argument.

The song itself isn't bad at all and actually very cool. However, when the transition at the end happens (to the "Nanana" part), my god, how they ruined that one. The "Nanana" voice sounds absolutely horribly mixed, the transition is horrible and the ending is just bad.

It sucks because the whole song, until that part, was actually pretty good.

The demo, however, is one of my favorite MJ songs. It was already almost perfect so I knew they wouldn't be able to make it better.

Okay.... Honestly... They messed this one up. The original is so much better. They took the life out of the chorus completely!!

On second listen, okay, the verses are bad-ass, the vocals are really front and centre. The music is fascinating, a bold choice. But what did they do to the chorus?! It sounds so weak, diluted, why does it lack the punch and depth and bass of the original? It sounds so badly mixed, as if they turned the volume and treble down by accident. :/

Two differing opinions. From first to second listening.

Really guys, give it a chance & and listen a couple of times at least. Before trashing it openly after one or even a half listen!

;)

Do we have the cover art from today in the same resolution as those from the last days (600x600)?
Can someone please point it out to me? Mine is only 400x400...

I listened to it a couple of times today and I still can't find a way to like it. I guess I'm just going to replace it with the original/demo on my playlists. I'm an instinctive music listener who needs emotions, passion - and that's why I love Michael so much, because he always delivers that. The original APWNN has that quality too, but this new remix does not in my view.

It would be interesting to know what America thinks of it. I know they praised Michael's demo.

Stargate seemed sincere telling how much they love Michael but they ruined APWNN. I don't imagine their version on clubs rather than the 3 previous songs. I listened to it complete and it sounds lifeless and non human, I can't stand it, sorry. We'll have our originals thankfully.

About the picture, more than a purse it seems like a bag-pack like the ones JW use to go door to door.

Last edited:
Back