Votes: 34 26.8%
  • Dangerous

Votes: 48 37.8%
  • HIStory

Votes: 51 40.2%
  • Invincible

Votes: 14 11.0%

• Total voters
I'd love to see a Triumph Tour release, but unfortunately I think the estate won't/can't release any material from The Jackson's. They can only release stuff from Michael's solo work.

Last edited:
To me, HIStory is the best most insightful interview Michael ever gave.

Instead of sitting down with one reporter, he sat down with everyone and said it all through those 15 songs and we learned more about him through that album than he ever could have tried to get across in a regular setting.

Instead of sitting down with one reporter, he sat down with everyone and said it all through those 15 songs and we learned more about him through that album than he ever could have tried to get across in a regular setting.

Great post man. I love the HIStory album and era. With all it's flaws.

I post this latest tidbit from Billboard here too:

“I’d like to see a movie about the History album and tour,” Branca, who’s also co-executor of the Michael Jackson estate, told Billboard. “It was his last tour, and his most underappreciated album. Michael was out of favor in the U.S. at the time. But if you listen to it start to finish, it’s one of the greatest albums of all time.”

But what about Jackson’s biggest blockbuster, Thriller -- which Lee, who also directed the Bad 25 documentary, has said he’d love to give the doc treatment? “That’s definitely a candidate,” said Branca, who added that there will Halloween-themed events around the album next year, its 35th anniversary.
---------------------------------------------
I wonder if there is Thriller 3D that John Landis mentioned a while ago?

Perhaps certain words used to describe the History tour have been a bit excessive. But it's straightforward honesty.

No one in this world is immune to criticism no matter how much I personally care for them. There are parts of Michael's career that I personally think are an embarrassment to his name, because they simply do not showcase the talent that I know he has. I won't sugarcoat anything simply because it's Michael Jackson, because he was not perfect. He deserves criticism just as much as any other artist.

If a beloved family member of mine did something reprehensible, I would call them out for it and be brutally honest. That doesn't mean I don't love or care for them; it's the truth. And I'm sure many of us would do the same thing.

If I'm willing to do that for a family member, my own blood, I will undoubtedly do that for Michael Jackson, someone who I'm simply a fan of. And the fact of the matter is, I simply cannot find any redeemable qualities within the History tour and don't think it should be released. Money does not matter. Attendance does not matter. The fact that it is Michael Jackson does not matter.

Michael Jackson doesn't matter when you give your opinion:D

I'm sorry but this post was so pompous and you are so full of yourself that it is worth of repeating:clapping:

This is worth of repeating for all the right reasons.

Speaking of the HIStory era, when is Ghosts going to be released on Blu Ray/DVD? Why they haven't released it yet it beyond me

Speaking of the HIStory era, when is Ghosts going to be released on Blu Ray/DVD? Why they haven't released it yet it beyond me

Whoever makes a documentary about HIStory must include something about Ghosts!

With all the things that have to be in a HIStory movie maybe they need to make two :lol:

With all the things that have to be in a HIStory movie maybe they need to make two :lol:

Ghosts/BOTDF should get substantial time IMO.

Ghosts/BOTDF should get substantial time IMO.

I tend to agree because they're definitely part of the HIStory Era. This movie has to be very precise with the timing considering HIStory and BOTDF together have 20 tracks. Double of what we have on Bad/OTW.

Where did you hear about History tour 3D being planned?
I thought that Branca meant similar release than Bad 25 and something like OTW?

3 years ago Branca said it was one of their ideas for HIStory 20th anniversary. I don't think that's still their plan.

Where did you hear about History tour 3D being planned?
I thought that Branca meant similar release than Bad 25 and something like OTW?

Yes, that's how I understood it as well. The tour being a part of the documentary just like you saw stuff about and from the tour in Bad25 and presumably we will see stuff from Destiny/Triumph tour in the OTW docu. If that happens I hope they will pick stuff like Earth Song from Brunei where the live ad-libs are fantastic.

Yes, that's how I understood it as well. The tour being a part of the documentary just like you saw stuff about and from the tour in Bad25 and presumably we will see stuff from Destiny/Triumph tour in the OTW docu. If that happens I hope they will pick stuff like Earth Song from Brunei where the live ad-libs are fantastic.

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes when they (whoever is going to be at charge) have to decide what to include and what not to include, as it was very controversial time and controversial album.

Perhaps they should did deeper if they do History and 90 minutes won't cover that time, so I agree to do some kind of big fat release, Album, concert, Ghosts, behind the Ghosts, and some other stuff:)

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes when they (whoever is going to be at charge) have to decide what to include and what not to include, as it was very controversial time and controversial album.

The album is not controversial, here among fans at least, IMO. It's the tour and how much it should be featured that is controversial.

This would be a missed opportunity to delve into controversial territory if the Branca decided to portray saint MJ over MJ the human. I want an honest portrayal of the times. I want accusations to be front a centre of the docu with archive of the man at lowest point. Ya'll need to accept that the was flawed and imperfect and stop trying the portray him as a god-like figure.

The album is not controversial, here among fans at least, IMO. It's the tour and how much it should be featured that is controversial.

I kind of meant that:)
Tabloid media is going to throw full blown hissy fit no matter what comes out.

I kind of meant that:)
Tabloid media is going to throw full blown hissy fit no matter what comes out.

I don't care about that. A HIStory documentary is never going to be as cheerful and uncontroversial as an OTW era one. Probably not going to be as popular with the general public either. And especially not with the media, for obvious reasons (they hate that mirror that is held up for them on this album and on BOTDF) :p .

This would be a missed opportunity to delve into controversial territory if the Branca decided to portray saint MJ over MJ the human. I want an honest portrayal of the times. I want accusations to be front a centre of the docu with archive of the man at lowest point. Ya'll need to accept that the was flawed and imperfect and stop trying the portray him as a god-like figure.

Huh? No one said anything remotely what you are talking about here.

How about you first stop telling people what to do and while you're at it you can also start to learn how to have a civil discussion. It looks like you want to start an argument out of nothing.

I don't care about that. A HIStory documentary is never going to be as cheerful and uncontroversial as an OTW era one. Probably not going to be as popular with the general public either.

Then they have to decide whether to make a that release only for the fans, so then there is no point to add controversies because we know all that as they''ll be preaching to the choir in that sense. Or whether the make a release that appeal to wider audience and go with Bad 25 and OTW route. I can see they do have dilemma there.

Then they have to decide whether to make a that release only for the fans, so then there is no point to add controversies because we know all that as they''ll be preaching to the choir in that sense. Or whether the make a release that appeal to wider audience and go with Bad 25 and OTW route. I can see they do have dilemma there.

I don't think they have to make any kind of choice like that. Not at all. It should be aimed at both the general public and the fans. It just probably won't be an as celebratory and uncontroversial release as OTW. That doesn't mean they should hide it. And how do you make a HIStory album documentary without mentioning the controversies? That would not be a truthful portrayal of the era and circumstances and whether it is aimed at fans or the general public, either way that would be wrong. It does not have to be all about the controversies but they cannot be unmentioned in a HIStory documentary. How do you talk about songs like DS or Stranger in Moscow without presenting the context?

I don't think they have to make any kind of choice like that. Not at all. It should be aimed at both the general public and the fans. It just probably won't be an as celebratory and uncontroversial release as OTW. That doesn't mean they should hide it. And how do you make a HIStory album documentary without mentioning the controversies? That would not be a truthful portrayal of the era and circumstances and whether it is aimed at fans or the general public, either way that would be wrong. It does not have to be all about the controversies but they cannot be unmentioned in a HIStory documentary. How do you talk about songs like DS or Stranger in Moscow without presenting the context?

If they take that route, it is going to be long documentary - hopefully.
At least, then Michael is finally heard.

If they take that route, it is going to be long documentary - hopefully.
At least, then Michael is finally heard.

If it's not going to be about that, don't make one at all. You can't seperate HIStory from Michael's personal life and the "controversies".

I think they should do Thriller next, followed by Dangerous/HIStory+BOtDF/Invincible docs in chronological order.

Michael wasn't the only one flawed and imperfect.
We know Michael had problems during the History time, and to portray MJ with farts and all, they would have to tell the truth what drove Michael to that point. They will have to have tell the story where it all began and why, and that leads us to his family members. Lets portray them honestly too, what did they do to drive MJ away and look for another family.

He wanted have a family, but not his own, and found other families that he though would be his new family, which lead to accusations towards him, which lead him to write songs and finally tour that he wasn't at his best and that everybody seems want to pick apart. There is always cause and then effect, and HisStory doesn't start from MJ being on stage miming, it began long before.

Last edited:
It seems everyone has there opinions on these documentaries. I think History would be a good one to do after all the wade and safechuck crap is over. Going foreword if they want a big audience to watch these they need to pick someone other than Spike Lee. I in no way am being racist but in general and I'm not saying all, but most white people in the U.S do not like Spike. I for one am glad he supports Mj but I want these stories to reach a larger audience and that will not happen with Lee, I'm sorry to say. Don't shoot me for saying this but there is some truth there. It's generally because of the films he make and the audience he is trying to reach. I listened to him on GMA last week and I had a hard time with his attitude still complaining about driving miss daisy beating out do the right thing? Do the right thing? Come on get over it dude.

Has this been posted here?

Bubs;4130763 said:
Are More Michael Jackson Movies on the Way?

Are you ready for more Michael Jackson movies? At the Jan. 24 premiere of the Showtime documentary Michael Jackson’s Journey From Motown to Off the Wall at the Sundance Film Festival -- attended by director Spike Lee, Questlove and Glassnotes Records founder Daniel Glass -- producer John Branca hinted that more could be on the way.

“I’d like to see a movie about the History album and tour,” Branca, who’s also co-executor of the Michael Jackson estate, told Billboard. “It was his last tour, and his most underappreciated album. Michael was out of favor in the U.S. at the time. But if you listen to it start to finish, it’s one of the greatest albums of all time.”

But what about Jackson’s biggest blockbuster, Thriller -- which Lee, who also directed the Bad 25 documentary, has said he’d love to give the doc treatment? “That’s definitely a candidate,” said Branca, who added that there will Halloween-themed events around the album next year, its 35th anniversary.

But for now, it’s all about Michael Jackson’s Journey, which hits Showtime on Feb. 5. “It’s a part of Michael’s career and life that few people know about,” Branca says. “Everyone knows about the meteoric rise of Jackson 5 and Michael having his first No. 1 single at the age of 10. But they don’t know what came after. The Jacksons had to split away from Motown, and many people thought their career was absolutely over, that they were yesterday’s news, that they were a boy band whose time had come and gone. This shows the story of Michael resurrecting the Jacksons and making his first solo album -- and we all know what happened after that.”

The film consists of present-day interviews mixed with some pretty incredible vintage footage. Branca’s favorite old clip? “There was this tap-dance team called the Nicholas Brothers -- the greatest tap dancers of all time. And there’s footage of Michael going toe to toe and step to step with them. Who knew Michael could tap-dance?”

Before the premiere, Lee also spoke about his call to boycott the Academy Awards after all 20 acting nominations went to white stars. It’s bigger than the Oscars, he explained; it’s an industrywide issue. “You have to get diversity among the people who have green-light votes. We’re gonna keep having this problem at the Oscars because they can only vote on the films that were made. So we gotta go up, [to] the people in the room who decide what we’re making and what we’re not making. There are no people of color in those rooms."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/e...hael-jackson-more-movies-showtime-documentary

He says tour. It looks like the HIStory Tour 3D project is still in works.

^^What a silly thing to say! Spike has given the stans what they want already, he'd done two documentaries of MJ without the controversy and now you want him taken off future releases?

Last edited:

who here portray him as a god-like figure? I haven't seen any posts that does that? and even if, that's how some people see their idol, and let them do that if they want, it's none of your business. you be a fan the way you want, and let others be fans the way they want...no one is telling you how to be a fan, so stop telling others...

^^What a silly thing to say! Spike has given the stans what they want already, he'd done two documentaries of MJ without the controversy and now you want him taken off future releases?

If your replying to me. Why is it a silly thing to say? I want more people to watch these documentaries. Not that many people watched bad25 and it will be the same with this. Reason being? Because it's made by Spike Lee. He hardly gave us what we want. I don't care to listen to stars of today talking about Mj. I know I know it's bringing in new fans, that's BS. Agree or disagree more people won't watch these because of Spike Lee. Sorry but that's pretty much the truth. We would be better off with Ratner or someone else. It's not that I personally don't like Spike. When you pair up two individuals that people either love or hate your not striving for success. That's why it would be best if Spike was left out. im not trying to start a fight here I just want the proper exposure these albums deserve.

But anyways. as for the documentary -if it will be made- I hope that whoever is going to make it isn't scared to address the allegations. In this case I want them to talk about the controversies for once, because I see it as a chance to redeem Michael's name.
Haters gonna hate, but I'd love to see a documentary about this period in his life use decent, factual background information (not just opinions e.g. 'I never saw anything') not only to provide context and add meaning to the music, but hopefully to change the minds of those who are willing to listen while doing so. It's an important part of his legacy and I want his side of the story - the truth!- to be well represented for once, he deserves it so much.

Let me share something with you guys. When Bad 25 came out, I saw a person on Twitter, a close family member of Jordan Chandler praise it. He said something along the lines that it moved him to tears. Odd enough, right? So it would be interesting to see his reaction to a HIStory documentary. :p

If your replying to me. Why is it a silly thing to say? I want more people to watch these documentaries. Not that many people watched bad25 and it will be the same with this. Reason being? Because it's made by Spike Lee. He hardly gave us what we want. I don't care to listen to stars of today talking about Mj. I know I know it's bringing in new fans, that's BS. Agree or disagree more people won't watch these because of Spike Lee. Sorry but that's pretty much the truth. We would be better off with Ratner or someone else. It's not that I personally don't like Spike. When you pair up two individuals that people either love or hate your not striving for success. That's why it would be best if Spike was left out. im not trying to start a fight here I just want the proper exposure these albums deserve.

what kind of bull crap is this? BAD25 didn't sell well because no one outside the core fan based gave a rats ass. Stop with this cognitive dissonance and accept that not all things can go your way. Anything with MJ's name on it will get more that enough exposure.

Obviously for Germans a show in Germany means a lot. It's like Queen's Hungarian Rhapsody charted the highest in Hungary. And you said it: they played it on TV over and over again. So wouldn't you want if the public in Germany would see something else from MJ as well? Not just HIStory tour over and over again? Like I said, it's his other tours that are underrepresented and underexposed to the general public, not HIStory tour. Maybe if they discovered there are actually better performances by MJ they would be even more impressed with him.

I'm always am bemused by the Euro fan obsession with HIStory. Like do they not know or care about Triumph or Destiny or Victory? These tours show MJ at his best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back