Adele’s 25 Probably Isn’t Going to Sell As Many Copies As 21, and It Doesn’t Matter

What the heck Adele has to do with MJ?

Like I explained earlier, many people see 21 as her 'Thriller'. It's the followup to one of the biggest albums of the decade (by a longshot), the album all her future ones will be compared against. It's the closest thing we've seen to a Thriller this decade so naturally, comparisons are going to arise between 21/25 and Thriller/Bad because of this and other similar reasons I have gone on about in past posts.

You can argue as you have that 21 is not like Thriller, but the fact remains that many people do see it like that and being not only the biggest example, but also one that everyone is aware of, all the most increases the chance of a journalist utilising it.

Think about it-21 sold massive numbers and was a phenomenon. So this is a huge compliment. Michael is the pinnacle that everyone (then and now) was striving for artistically and commercially.
When Bruno Mars put out his last album it was praised like crazy, but I read several times that he "hadn't reached Thriller level quite yet".

Like I explained earlier, many people see 21 as her 'Thriller'. It's the followup to one of the biggest albums of the decade (by a longshot), the album all her future ones will be compared against. It's the closest thing we've seen to a Thriller this decade so naturally, comparisons are going to arise between 21/25 and Thriller/Bad because of this and other similar reasons I have gone on about in past posts.

You can argue as you have that 21 is not like Thriller, but the fact remains that many people do see it like that and being not only the biggest example, but also one that everyone is aware of, all the most increases the chance of a journalist utilising it.

Well, I have seen journalists call basically everyone with a remotely successful album "the new MJ" or the album itself "the new Thriller" these days. Just a couple of weeks ago Taylor Swift was the new MJ and 1989 the new Thriller. So it is getting a bit ridiculous IMO. Of course, being the best selling album of the decade 21 is closer to Thriller than 1989, but artistically MJ and Adele have hardly anything to do with each other and as a result of that their path does not have much to do with each other either, no matter how much some force these comparations.

Adele is more the Celine Dion of her generation, if we are so keen on comparations. Every generation seems to have this big blockbuster female adult contemporary artist with the big voice and with heart-breaking ballads that appeal to your mom just as much as to you and who sell big. I think Adele is closer to that than to who MJ was as an artist.

Think about it-21 sold massive numbers and was a phenomenon. So this is a huge compliment. Michael is the pinnacle that everyone (then and now) was striving for artistically and commercially.
When Bruno Mars put out his last album it was praised like crazy, but I read several times that he "hadn't reached Thriller level quite yet".

I can't take it as a compliment from that BBC article because I felt like it was rather a jab at MJ. Praising Adele about how "relaxed" she is about her follow-up album as opposed to MJ. Why even bring that up? They are two very different kind of artists and like InvincibleTal said MJ was ambitious and did not make a secret out of his ambitions. Maybe he should have because ever since it is used against him. While MJ was commercially ambitious and unashamedly so, I don't think his art suffered from it. I always found claims that he was trying to repeat Thriller unfounded because actually there are not many artists whose every album sounds different and MJ is one of those artists. I don't think he was ever afraid to renew and to try other directions than before.

Just finished listening to the album and it's actually pretty good! A great follow-up to 21 imho :)

Highlights:
Hello
Send My Love (To Your New Lover)
I Miss You
Water Under The Bridge
River Lea
Love in the Dark
Million Years Ago
Sweetest Devotion

I listened to it too. I think it is a mediocre album. The only song I remotely liked on it was Million Years Ago with its minimalist approach, the rest I found pretty generic stuff. And Hello (which I wasn't that impressed by) is actually one of the best songs on it. I think indeed she was trying to do the same as on 21, but this time it came out more bland and more try-hard. She is a very one-dimensional artist, but her fan base will certainly love her for this yet another load of yearnful ballads.

I listened to it too. I think it is a mediocre album. The only song I remotely liked on it was Million Years Ago with its minimalist approach, the rest I found pretty generic stuff. And Hello (which I wasn't that impressed by) is actually one of the best songs on it. I think indeed she was trying to do the same as on 21, but this time it came out more bland and more try-hard. She is a very one-dimensional artist, but her fan base will certainly love her for this yet another load of yearnful ballads.

^^Not just her fanbase, but critics and general public - the majority of reactions do seem to be quite positive (it's at 77 on Metacritic last time I checked). Been reading comments on social websites like Reddit too and they seem to have pretty similar reactions.

I mean, it's pretty obvious you're not a fan of Adele's work so it doesn't really come as much of a surprise her new album does little for you. But hey, different strokes for different folks :)

Last edited:
I am not surprised the overwhelmingly positive reactions considering the massive hype. (BTW, I have read fan reviews on LSA and there have been many disappointed ones.) Regardless, to me it is a mediocre album. But then I don't think 21 is that exceptional either, to be honest. But 25 is definitely weaker than 21. Of course, it will sell, because it is hyped like hardly anything else these days. Of course, many people want to be a part of that hype. But we will see the true legacy of 25 in 10-20 years.

I have just finished listening to the album.

Not impressed, definitely not on the same level of 21.

"Hello" is the best song along with "River Lea", the rest is pretty average and boring.
She has not taken any risk with this record.

I just read an article on my newsfeed that 'All I Ask' was co-written by Bruno Mars. It was a summary of fan reactions to it.
Think I'd like to hear that one since it referenced "luscious chord changes" and I both liked/could relate to the lyrics.

I love Adele. The new songs I've heard so far sound great, I haven't heard All I Ask yet but I'm curious about that one as well (love Bruno too :)). This one is absolutely stunning:

[youtube]HJSBUcbaZYY[/youtube]

She's one of those rare artists (nowadays) that sound even better live than on record. And she's very down to earth and funny too. I loved this:

[youtube]OHXjxWaQs9o[/youtube]

:D

I saw her BBC special with Graham Norton and she was superb. I'll admit I wasn't a fan but I'm getting 25 and I may as well pick up 19 and 21 as I'm at it. Her album 21 literally kept my mate Ray's music shop (Musiczone) going for 6 months, he was selling 25 to 30 copies a week during the worst period of his business, so he's delighted she's put out a new album.

I agree with much of what Historic has said. As for Adele herself, she's freely admitted she's not actually an ambitious person and happy to do what she does best, which is make big epic heartbreak songs. She's happy in her genre and not particularly fussed. She's even said 'when they were putting the album together she was gonna put Skyfall on there to fill out the album. Adele isn't pretending to be anything or striving for anything and her success is a surprise to her more than anyone. I find her attitude quite refreshing.

Adele's '25' Official First Week U.S. Sales: 3.38 Million

It’s official: Adele’s 25 album sold 3.38 million copies in its first week in the U.S., according to Nielsen Music. That’s the largest single sales week for an album since Nielsen began tracking point-of-sale music purchases in 1991. 25 is the first album to sell more than 3 million copies in a week in Nielsen history, and only the second to surpass 2 million sold in a single frame.

Nielsen Music’s tracking week runs from Friday to Thursday each week, so 25’s opening frame ended at the close of business on Nov. 26. The new set, which is Adele's third studio album, was released on Nov. 20 through XL Recordings/Columbia Records.

Earlier in the week, 25 beat the previous single-week sales record, held by *NSYNC’s No Strings Attached, when it launched with 2.42 million sold (in the week ending March 26, 2000). 25 is also just the 20th album to sell at least a million copies in a week. In addition, 25 is already the biggest selling album of 2015 (surpassing the 1.8 million sold of Taylor Swift’s 1989).

25 will debut atop the Billboard 200 albums chart dated Dec. 12, marking the singer/songwriter’s second No. 1. The Billboard 200 chart ranks the most popular albums of the week based on multi-metric consumption, which includes traditional album sales, track equivalent albums (TEA) and streaming equivalent albums (SEA). The top 10 of the chart is scheduled to be announced on Nov. 29, along with 25’s total consumption figure for the week.

25 follows Adele’s 21, which racked up 24 nonconsecutive weeks atop the Billboard 200 (the longest run at No. 1 for a woman in the chart’s history) and has sold 11.2 million in the U.S. It’s the 10th-largest selling album in Nielsen history.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6777905/adele-25-sales-first-week-us

Adele's '25' Sets Biggest U.K. Opening Sales Week, Most Downloaded No. 1 Album

Adele has officially rewritten the U.K. chart record books, as confirmation arrives Friday, Nov. 27 from the Official Charts Company that 25 (XL Recordings) has recorded the biggest opening sales week in history. Unavailable on any streaming services, it has also become the most-downloaded No. 1 album ever.

The album ended the week with sales of 800,307 copies, smashing the previous record of 696,000 created by Oasis' Be Here Now in 1997 -- although it must be added that that disc was released on a Thursday, when the chart sales week ran until a Saturday night, so it reached its mark in only three days.

25 sold more than the next 86 albums on the artist chart combined, and moved 252,423 downloads; the previous best was 95,709 for Ed Sheeran's X last year. The OCC reports that 68 percent of Adele's sale were physical, at 548,000 of the total. 25 thus gets an immediate double platinum certification from British trade body the BPI.

Adele's sales may have dwarfed everybody else's, but the entire market bathed in the glow of her success. Sales of the rest of the top 40 album chart increased by 21 percent over the week before, at a total of 674,000.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ed-no-1-xl-recordings-official-charts-company

Re: Adele's '25' - RECORDS BREAKER - First Week U.S. Sales + Biggest U.K. Opening Sales Week

So... the question is... will this album break the ultimate record? The Thriller record?
Is this album able to reach more than 40+ million copies?

Well, I honestly do not understand the hysteria a and hype about the album and Adele..
She is a great singer but the songs are... soooo "ordinary".... kind of ... boring..., I personally just dont get it, but I see the impact of the multi-media internet world and various sources of selling records + the global biz machinery: YouTube, social nets, FB and the net where all the info and hype can be spread within seconds...

This era can no be compared to the 60s/70s/80s even 90s where there was the physical sales of records the only entity to count the charts, but there was no exact sales by statistics since Nielsen began tracking point-of-sale music purchases in 1991.

Well, Shania Twain will be the second.... very soon.
Twains third album, Come On Over, became the best-selling studio album of all time by a female act in any genre, selling around 40 million copies worldwide

Last edited:
Re: Adele's '25' - RECORDS BREAKER - First Week U.S. Sales + Biggest U.K. Opening Sales Week

I think they are trying very hard with PR hype in the hopes that it will top Thriller.
Personally I've listened to her and while I agree she is certainly talented I don't find her extraordinary.
I mean, nothing can take away what Michael achieved with that album. No matter how they manipulate numbers, nothing will ever erase what he accomplished. Fact is Michael did it first and held the record for decades without the internet and that will never change.

Isn't it a bit too early to worry about Thriller's record? Thriller sold 29 million copies in the US. It is not so easy to beat it.

I already said it in another thread, so let me copy it here:

Today album sales are massively first week heavy. Her selling 3+ million copies in the first week doesn't mean she will continue to sell that many every week. N'Sync sold 2.4 million copies the first week but the album did not catch Thriller either. It stopped at around 10 million eventually. I am sure 25 will continue to sell well for a couple of weeks and especially Christmas (the release date has very good timing marketing wise: Black Friday, Chrismas etc), but for 25 to beat Thriller it would need to sell 2.5 times as many in the US as 21 did and to me it is even doubtful if 25 will eventually catch 21 since it does not have as a song like Rolling in the Deep which was the big pull for 21. But even if it will catch 21 I don't think it will sell 2.5 times as many as 21.

Fastest selling albums in the US (of course now 25 is #1 ):

RankYearTitleArtistSalesReference
12000No Strings Attached*NSYNC2,415,859[SUP][33][/SUP]
22001Celebrity*NSYNC1,879,955[SUP][34][/SUP]
32000The Marshall Mathers LPEminem1,760,049[SUP][35][/SUP]
42000Black & BlueBackstreet Boys1,591,191[SUP][36][/SUP]
52000Oops!... I Did It AgainBritney Spears1,319,193[SUP][37][/SUP]
620141989Taylor Swift1,287,000[SUP][38][/SUP]
72012RedTaylor Swift1,208,000[SUP][39][/SUP]
82005The Massacre[SUP]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest-selling_albums#endnote_50Cent[/SUP]

[TD="align: left"]50 Cent[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]1,140,638[/TD]
[TD="align: center"][SUP][40][/SUP][/TD]

[TR]
[TD="align: center"]9[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]1999[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Millennium[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Backstreet Boys[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]1,133,505[/TD]
[TD="align: center"][SUP][41][/SUP][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]10[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2011[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Born This Way[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Lady Gaga[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]1,108,000[/TD]
[TD="align: center"][SUP][42][/SUP][/TD]
[/TR]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...selling_albums

As you can see most of those albums were released between 2000-2015, not earlier, even though most of the really huge blockbusters come from earlier times. These were good selling albums, but all of them stopped eventually at around 10-13 million or lower. Lady Gaga's album sold 1.1 million in its first week, but eventually ended up selling only twice as many altogether. That is an extreme example, but point is that in the 2000-2010s album sales are very first week heavy. Yet, none of the above albums came anywhere near Thriller. Heavy first week sales is simply how sales dynamics work since the 2000s. Before that people had to learn about an album through the radio playing some of its songs before they bought it and because of that an album's sales weren't as much concentrated on its first weeks on the charts.

As for Adele's music. I already said this in another thread as well, that to me she is a very one-dimensional and boring artist. I heard all of her three albums and they are all the same musically and thematically alike. There is no variety in her music, no real artistic growth or development. But it works for her obviously and she knows it - that's why she keeps repeating it. I think she is popular because people are kind of fed up with "plastic pop stars" who sell uninspiring music with senseless lyrics about sex and "hoes" and showing off your wealth, and because of that she is considered a breath of fresh air on today's music market. Well, to those who only know what is on the charts currently, at least. In a bigger, historical context she is nothing special IMO. She is basically an adult contemporary artist singing about heartbreak. Not unlike other female adult contemporary artists before her, like Celine Dion, for example. It is an advantage for her that she is young so ageism does not affect her despite of her music appealing to older generations as well. (And it is adult people who still BUY music if they like it! So it is also a demographic thing that she is such a big seller and it has to do with the demographics she appeals to.) I also think race is a factor here. I know some people do not like to hear it, but I do think that a black artist often have to be ten times as talented to get the same hype and same success as a white artist. Adele is not more talented than many other artists before her who never got this hype or success. It is what it is, I guess. And I think there is a hype overdrive around Adele currently, that I do not think the content of her album justifies.

I have seen Adele being compared to Amy Winehouse as well. I think Amy's music was a lot more exciting and interesting than Adele's. Give me Amy any time over Adele! She was also more talented IMO. She was pretty successful, but nowhere near as Adele. One article I think said it well: Amy was too druggy, too problematic. Adele is watered down compared to her, but she is less problematic. She doesn't sing about bothering stuff like drug addiction or alcholism like Amy did. But I do not mind Amy's themes and I think her music was a lot better and more varied and more exciting. Too bad she died young.

Last edited:

Stop with the Thriller freak out each time somebody breaks a record MJ didn't even hold in the first place.

Last edited:

^^Agreed. They touted Taylors 1989 sales record too and the fact that she yanked all her albums from Spotify. I don't think the album even hit 3 million total.
I'm not sure why all the articles about Adele say she appeals to all ages-I can't imagine kids liking depressing ballads-but again, that's all I've heard from her.

Good time to put out the album and smart on Adele's part. Everyone who loved 21 will get it and give one as a Christmas gift. Easy present.

Adele can sing indeed but I don't see her standing the test of time TBH. Céline has a great voice as well but many people are already tired of her thinking she didn't deserve any of her awards because she's not a composer. Adele writes her lyrics but those doesn't offer different themes, she just relies on her powerful voice. I too prefer Amy any day.

I don't know why the media is obsessed over others beating Thriller, most of the records and achievements he made are unbeatable. Michael created a timeless monster (I mean it as a compliment, of course.)

^^Snow White, you an Amy fan? I love Amy. Did you see the docufilm?

With regards Adele, I actually like the girl. Check out her BBC special with Graham Norton if it's on YouTube. I have to say she really blew me away with some beautiful vocals and great feeling in her lyrics. I think we need to realise that a lot of these Artists are not in any competition with Michael Jackson and the Thriller album. It's all media driven hype to whip the publics imagination up into a frenzy. Yes she's of the Internet/YouTube generation but MJ was of the MTV/Motown25 generation that was just as important in propelling his success. Of course he was a much more interesting and all round mysterious, artistical and genius artist, but Adele is just being herself, not trying to be anything more than she is, as a person and artist and a lot of people find her refreshing in that sense. The girl is humble and down to earth which are traits MJ also had, and for a lot of us she's a tonic for the Kimyea Beyoncé/Jay Z generation where you've got Kanye types proclaiming their God. Adele could be any girl/woman from next door. I think people just like a great singer without all the grandstanding needles gestures.

For or most of us here MJ is number 1, but other artists are entitled to be successful also.

Last edited by a moderator:

^^I agree with that. People are pretty sick of the rap/poppy/sexpot types and she is a breath of fresh air. Think that might be why Taylor went over so well-there's something old school about her look.
I'd compare Adele to the shock and awe people felt when Streisand burst on the scene but I don't think she's at the same level yet. Maybe Celine is a better comparison.

(Speaking of being sick of today's music, I watched most of the AMAs this year to my surprise and most of the new music was melodic old school pop/rock. I was shocked. And Demi Levato and Nick Jonas can sing. Maybe music is swinging back and Adele can help do that.)

Saw something cute on the news today talking about Adele breaking NSYNCs record.
NSYNC wrote on their social media page:
"Bye, bye, bye.
Adele-hello!!"

Cute and classy.

^^^Classy and humble from Nsync. Fair play to them and nice the way they worked both their own and Adeles track into it. I watched a few album reviews on 25 today on YouTube and lol theirs sooo many people hating on Adele in the comments under the videos. Maybe not all out hating but certainly critical. But it's the part of the price of success I guess. For an Artist that's described as bland, boring, power balled singer she isn't doing too bad. The sales figures speak for themselves. Everyone's a critic in this day and age I guess.

Yeah, I bought Taylor's album this year and really like it. She's definitly got a sort of 50's old school look going on. And speaking of Celine, does she still perform in Vegas or is that done? I'm gonna be in Vegas in March and would love to see Celine! Will be definitely seeing MJ One of course.

^^^Classy and humble from Nsync. Fair play to them and nice the way they worked both their own and Adeles track into it. I watched a few album reviews on 25 today on YouTube and lol theirs sooo many people hating on Adele in the comments under the videos. Maybe not all out hating but certainly critical. But it's the part of the price of success I guess. For an Artist that's described as bland, boring, power balled singer she isn't doing too bad. The sales figures speak for themselves. Everyone's a critic in this day and age I guess.

Yeah, I bought Taylor's album this year and really like it. She's definitly got a sort of 50's old school look going on. And speaking of Celine, does she still perform in Vegas or is that done? I'm gonna be in Vegas in March and would love to see Celine! Will be definitely seeing MJ One of course.
I believe Celine is still in Vegas-or about to start back-I saw something about her anniversary on ET the other day.

Adele's '25' Officially Scores Record Million-Selling Second Week in U.S.

It is the first album to sell a million copies in two different weeks since Nielsen began tracking sales data in 1991.

After its record 3.38 million-selling debut week, Adele's 25 has surpassed 1 million sold in the U.S. in its second week, according to Nielsen Music. It makes more history bybecoming the first album to sell a million copies in two different weeks since Nielsen began tracking sales data in 1991.

25 surpasses the mark with slightly less than one day of data remaining to be processed by Nielsen in the tracking week (ending Dec. 3).

25 became just the 20th album to sell a million copies in a single week (in Nielsen history) when it arrived with 3.38 million sold in the week ending Nov. 26. Until this week, no album had ever sold a million copies in more than one week.

Billboard is scheduled to report 25's final second-week sales on Sunday, Dec. 6, once Nielsen has finished processing the full week of data.

Adele Continues Reign Over U.K. Albums Chart, Justin Bieber Unseats Himself

Adele continues to rule the charts with 25 (XL Recordings), locking down her second week atop the U.K. albums chart on Friday (Dec. 4) and becoming the fastest million-selling album in U.K. chart history.

The Official Charts Company reported 439,000 copies of 25 sold this week, outselling the rest of the top 10 combined.

This brings Adele's total U.K. sales for 25 above 1.2 million, following her record breaking debut last week. It took just 10 days for the LP to hit the million milestone -- a record previously held by Oasis' Be Here Now, which took 17 days to hit the figure.

Adele's LP also overtook Ed Sheeran's X as the U.K.'s biggest album of 2015.

Elsewhere, Elvis Presley's If I Can Dream (Sony Music CG) continues to perform well at No. 2 on the chart for its second week, marking its fifth week in the top five.

Justin Bieber's Purpose spent its second week at No. 3, following a week at No. 2. On the singles chart, Bieber managed to unseat himself with his third U.K. No. 1 single "Love Yourself" bumping "Sorry" 1-2.

The last living act to replace itself at No. 1 were the Beatles in 1963 with "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand." Presley did it posthumously in 2005.

Rounding out the top five, Little Mix's Get Weird climbed two places to No. 4 and Jess Glynne’s I Cry When I Laugh jumped 3 to No. 5.

The week's highest new entry was the Vamps' Wake Up at No. 10, followed by the Corrs' White Light -- their first album in 10 years -- at No. 11.

Last edited:

As for the "the first album to sell a million copies in two different weeks since Nielsen began tracking sales data in 1991"... yes, since 1991 it can be the first album, but as far as we know, Thriller during its highest sales peak in 1983/1984 sold more than 1 million copies per week for a few weeks, afaik by articles and interviews, Thriller sold 1 million copies for 6 consecutive weeks per week.

Billboard should KNOW that and now they are making it a big deal with 25!?

Its like nothing relevant existed before 1991 since Nielsen began tracking sales data?

Also is that 3.38 million number of units equivalent or actual album? Because now Billboard started counting streams, digital singles sales and other shit like that that should not be counted as album sales. Because if we are going to talk like that, counting units, not actual records, Thriller did not sold reported 68 million, but over 100 million copies. Also to weekly sales of Thriller, than it should be added The Girl Is Mine, Billie Jean, Beat It physical singles sales and "streaming" the song on MTV. Stupid modern digital age and Billboard that keep changing the rules of the game just to **** MJ over.

^Elvis Presley is at #2 in the UK? I had no idea he was still selling, much less well. I thought those millions they earn were from tickets to Graceland.

^Elvis Presley is at #2 in the UK? I had no idea he was still selling, much less well. I thought those millions they earn were from tickets to Graceland.

In fact, its not his "regular" album, but the songs are played by The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, its kind of a GHs compilation

Billboard that keep changing the rules of the game
They've always changed with new technology. Billboard used to have charts for jukeboxes, 78s, EPs, disco songs, maxi singles, VHS tapes, laserdiscs, etc. Albums sold through record clubs (12 albums for a penny!) were never counted on the charts or as sales by the labels, nor were cutouts which were sold at a cheap price.

Back