Are there still some so called “ hidden gems” left in the vault?

Regarding the existence of 'Why' (solo version):

TJ Jackson revealed on multiple occasions that 'Why' (solo version) exists.

During the 'HIStory' album recording sessions, Michael Jackson wanted to take a rest for a while.

It was then when the singer called 3T and he played to them two songs that he had recorded for that album, 'You Are Not Alone', and 'Why' (solo version).

Sony Music had told him that he should choose 'You Are Not Alone' for the album, so he gave 'Why' to 3T.

"…Yes, there is a version of 'Why' with my uncle. First of all, he played two songs. I think it was in New York City at The Hit Factory where he was doing a string session for 'Childhood', I believe. On a break, he brought us to the back room and said he had some music he wanted to play and share with us. So he played 'You Are Not Alone' and 'Why'. He said he could only keep one, and he wanted to give the other to us. He asked us if there was one we liked more, or one we thought he should do or we should do. We loved them both! He said Sony thought he should keep 'You Are Not Alone'…" (TJ Jackson interview to Brice Najar)

Or from another interview:

"…At first, it ['Why'] was one of our uncle's songs for the 'HIStory' album. He made the mistake to let us listen to it before the release of the album and we fell in love with this track - as it happens with all of his songs - but he gave us that one … So we could have the song, but under one condition: we should keep his voice on it. So we kept the chorus as it was, sang by Michael, and we re-sang the verses. Uncle Michael was with us during the recording, he helped us with our singing as well as getting into the atmosphere of the song. You should hear Michael's version of 'Why', that would be cool…" (TJ Jackson)

Or from another interview:

"…The song ['Why'] was supposed to be on Michael's 'HIStory' album, but we loved it so much that we kinda ended up stealing it from him … I mean, once he played it for us and saw our faces he was like, 'You guys want this song?', and that's exactly what happened…" (TJ Jackson)

The last 2 quotes come from the 'Brotherhood' album era (1995-1996).

Can’t Get Your Weight Off Of Me :ninja:
I've agreed to every Invincible take of yours but this is where I'll have to stop lmao. It's an ok song at most and it isn't anywhere near one of the best unreleased songs in the vault. If it ever gets released I'd rather have it be released on an anniversary album than it to take the spot on a studio album.

I think it depends on what constitutes a gem to you. If you are only really interested in fully or nearly finished tracks, there won't be much. If you, like me, would consider a rough idea with only vocals for the chorus or 1 verse, or even just a quick instrumental sketch, a gem too, then I'm sure there is quite a bit.

tbh Why sounds like a boyband type of song. I think it was a good call to keep it away from the album.
This actually can be said also for the following 10 songs:

- 'Don't Walk Away'
- 'On The Line'
- 'Whatever Happens'
- 'You Are Not Alone'
- 'Break Of Dawn'
- 'You Are My Life'
- 'Liberian Girl'
- 'Heaven Can Wait'
- 'Girlfriend'
- 'Human Nature'

All of them would have been more suitable for a boy band.

I think it depends on what constitutes a gem to you. If you are only really interested in fully or nearly finished tracks, there won't be much. If you, like me, would consider a rough idea with only vocals for the chorus or 1 verse, or even just a quick instrumental sketch, a gem too, then I'm sure there is quite a bit.
Yep, there's plenty of interesting stuff left. Whether we will ever get to hear it is another matter.

This actually can be said also for the following 10 songs:

- 'Don't Walk Away'
- 'On The Line'
- 'Whatever Happens'
- 'You Are Not Alone'
- 'Break Of Dawn'
- 'You Are My Life'
- 'Liberian Girl'
- 'Heaven Can Wait'
- 'Girlfriend'
- 'Human Nature'

All of them would have been more suitable for a boy band.
michael-jackson-king-of-pop.gif

As for any gems left, I'm almost certain of it. I think we've been really fortunate in the last 13 years to hear so many truly special demo's. I imagine there must be some still left

It's been 10 years but I'm still overjoyed we've heard Price Of Fame and Don't Be Messin' Round

You know tracks that are highly praised by those that heard it or worked on it?
If somebody worked on a song, they're always gonna hype it up. People from the estate or Sony can't be trusted to give an impartial view on something they want to sell.

For what it's worth, I personally think You Are Not Alone was a better fit for the HIStory album than Why, because it fit the general album theme much better IMO. That being said, if an MJ solo version truly exists, I do need it in my life.

Can’t Get Your Weight Off Of Me :ninja:
'Can't Get Your Weight Off Of Me' is a very ordinary, generic song, let alone a hidden gem.

It is also musically very similar to the first 3 songs from the 'Invincible' album.

It sounds like you placed 'Unbreakable', 'Heartbreaker' and 'Invincible' inside a blender, and what you got is that track.

'Can't Get Your Weight Off Of Me' did not even make the 'The Ultimate Collection' box set, although the track is said to have been mastered for inclusion on that box set.

'Can't Get Your Weight Off Of Me' is a very ordinary, generic song, let alone a hidden gem.

It is also musically very similar to the first 3 songs from the 'Invincible' album.

It sounds like you placed 'Unbreakable', 'Heartbreaker' and 'Invincible' inside a blender, and what you got is that track.

'Can't Get Your Weight Off Of Me' did not even make the 'The Ultimate Collection' box set, although the track is said to have been mastered for inclusion on that box set.
what in the fuck is this analogy lol

Did you heard get your weight off of me and which better one u prefer ?

I wanna hear his version of joy...& I also wanna hear Lucy is in love with linus....I just have a feeling in my head that the tune might sound like the chorus to "mind is the magic"

Dang, part of me would love to hear the OTW-era version of Little Susie. It's one one of my favorite MJ songs and I had no idea it went that far back! Of course I know Michael would often work a long time on songs, but still. Interesting how little the music apparently changed during all that time. Shows that even back then, Michael already had some grand ideas for songs.
I definitely wanna hear otw vocals on little susie. Smh the estate missed out with otw 35 as well

I suppose it's perspective at what a hidden gem is too.

Behind The Mask has one of the strongest vocals of any unreleased song I've heard thus far, but a song like Don't Be Messin' Round meant just as much to me personally because of the years of waiting to hear it and to hear Mike having fun on the track was a joy.

I would say there's only been a very small handful of songs, that we've heard, that I am shocked Michael didn't release. Most of them aren't as strong as what was on the album they were intended for, in my opinion

I’m surprised at the lack of post invincible songs mentioned. I heard glowing praise for rocker, adore you and dark lady

Because most of the more complete unreleased stuff comes from BAD and Dangerous sessions.
But rocker and adore you are supposedly releasable as well! Dark lady was described as a come back track with a great chorus and bass line but not complete verses
Then there was also an experimental track with a beat based on water drops or something weird.

Rocker I'm unsure of as I have no verifiable info for that one, but the rest aren't releasable tracks, from what I've been told.

Back