Ashley Banjo on Michael Jackson's 'Thriller'

Zakk

Proud Member
Airs Sunday April 19th on ITV & ITVHD! Featuring interviews with Quincy Jones/Bruce Swedien and more.

Zakk-is this a new doc? Do you know if it will show in the US? I'm trying to find it, but no luck.

Yeah, it's new. Ashely Banjo is quite well known in the UK. Don't think this would be on US TV although I might be wrong. :)

Ashely Banjo, sorry never heard of him and I live in the UK. Is he a musician? Zakk, did you see it in next weeks TV guide?

He's the lead dancer in Diversity, I heard about him filming this a while back but I didn't think he would be getting such great contributors.. As far as I know the only showing is for the UK.. Would be nice if someone can record the High Def screening and upload though

A short clip of Diversity performing to Michael's music, for those of you who don't know this group... They're a very talented set of dancers! Heavily inspired by the K.O.P

^^Wow-thanks Zakk. I'd never heard of Ashley Banjo, but "Diversity" sounded familiar maybe for one of those times a clip from something like "Britain's Got Talent" goes viral and plays over here-so, really thanks for the clip. While I was trying to find something on this, I ran across the really great article that gives more detail.
It sounds great-anyone who interviews Jeffrey, Bruce, and especially Greg P is ok in my book!! (Just sorry John Landis is in it-maybe he can restrain his ego for a moment). Gosh, I hope this makes it to YouTube.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week17/perspectives-0

The information contained herein is strictly embargoed from all press, online and social media use, non-commercial publication, or syndication until Tuesday 14 April 2015.

Series overview

The Perspectives documentary strand brings together powerful stories and unique insights into the arts from a range of well-known figures. Now in its fifth series, the strand will encompass six films from a rich variety of distinctive individuals offering their take on subjects for which they have a personal enthusiasm and fascination.

Episode 1: Michael Jackson’s Thriller with Ashley Banjo

It was one of the best days of Ashley Banjo’s life when Michael Jackson invited the young British choreographer and his dance group, Diversity, to support him at his planned London concerts in 2009. But the concerts never happened – the American superstar died following an overdose of prescription drugs – so Ashley never got to meet his musical idol. This documentary follows Ashley as he finds out more about the man who inspired him to dance and, in particular, Thriller - the album which sold a record breaking sixty million copies and catapulted Michael Jackson to global superstardom.

Ashley heads out to California to meet the people who Jackson worked with to create the best selling album of all time. Engineer Bruce Swedien recalls the first day of the recording when legendary producer Quincy Jones told the team that they were there to save the ailing music industry. It was a bold ambition which Michael Jackson accepted and fulfilled with room to spare.

We hear from Greg Phillinganes, the main keyboard player on the album about hearing the demo of Billie Jean for the first time, his explanation of why this track became a soul classic and the pressures of fame on Michael at that time. Michael Jackson chose Irish director, Steve Barron, to make the video for Billie Jean after seeing his work on The Human League’s Don’t You Want me. Steve shares what it was like to witness the explosive dance sequence for the video to very first time it was revealed to the world. The moonwalk became associated with Jackson’s live performances of Billie Jean but the first time he executed the move in public came some months after the video at the Motown 25 celebrations. Jeffrey Daniel talks about working with Michael on his dance moves, his own response to the famous Motown performance and the part the Michael Jackson and Thriller played in bringing Street Dance to a wider audience.

The follow up single to Billie Jean was another Michael Jackson composition: the rock inspired Beat It. Members of rock group Toto share the hilarious tale of how they came to work on this song – and helped to open up Michael Jackson to a whole new audience. Bob Giraldi, director of the video for Beat It, explains how Michael Jackson got members of two notorious Los Angeles gangs, the Crips and the Bloods, involved in the video shoot and the moment of film magic that saved the production. Dancer and choreographer, Vincent Paterson, talks to Ashley about working with Michael for first time on the Beat It video – and the way that life changed for the young singer after the phenomenal success of the Thriller album.

The next top ten hit off Thriller was Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’. Ashley meets up with famous backing singers the Waters Family to hear what it was like working on this track and their impressions of working with the soul superstar over many years. Steve Porcaro, the composer of yet another US hit single from Thriller, Human Nature, tells Ashley of the amazing stroke of good luck that meant that Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones listened to his demo and went on to select it for the bestselling album of all time.

After nearly a year on the charts album sales finally started to drop away but Michael Jackson had one card left to play: the release of the album’s title track – and, perhaps most importantly, it’s ground breaking video…

Ashley meets John Landis the A list Hollywood director behind the Thriller film, Rick Baker the seven times Oscar winning makeup artist who made Michael into a monster and Ola Ray, the former playboy model who lost her heart to Michael as his co-star in the film. He sees the iconic red leather jacket from the video and gets his hands on one of the custom made fedoras that became a part of Michael Jackson’s on stage identity.

Ashley learns about the enduring legacy of Michael Jackson and his musical masterpiece from the creator of the London musical Thriller Live! and from leading choreographer, Travis Payne, who worked with Jackson on his ill-fated final concert rehearsals. The people who worked with Michael Jackson on his masterpiece reveal what made Thriller so special – and the price that he paid for his unprecedented success…

Directed/Produced by Gareth Williams for Blakeway North

Oh great, another thing Travis Payne has attached his name to...

barbee0715;4086153 said:
^^Wow-thanks Zakk. I'd never heard of Ashley Banjo, but "Diversity" sounded familiar maybe for one of those times a clip from something like "Britain's Got Talent" goes viral and plays over here-so, really thanks for the clip. While I was trying to find something on this, I ran across the really great article that gives more detail.
It sounds great-anyone who interviews Jeffrey, Bruce, and especially Greg P is ok in my book!! (Just sorry John Landis is in it-maybe he can restrain his ego for a moment). Gosh, I hope this makes it to YouTube.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week17/perspectives-0

The information contained herein is strictly embargoed from all press, online and social media use, non-commercial publication, or syndication until Tuesday 14 April 2015.

Series overview

The Perspectives documentary strand brings together powerful stories and unique insights into the arts from a range of well-known figures. Now in its fifth series, the strand will encompass six films from a rich variety of distinctive individuals offering their take on subjects for which they have a personal enthusiasm and fascination.

It was one of the best days of Ashley Banjo’s life when Michael Jackson invited the young British choreographer and his dance group, Diversity, to support him at his planned London concerts in 2009. But the concerts never happened – the American superstar died following an overdose of prescription drugs – so Ashley never got to meet his musical idol. This documentary follows Ashley as he finds out more about the man who inspired him to dance and, in particular, Thriller - the album which sold a record breaking sixty million copies and catapulted Michael Jackson to global superstardom.

Ashley heads out to California to meet the people who Jackson worked with to create the best selling album of all time. Engineer Bruce Swedien recalls the first day of the recording when legendary producer Quincy Jones told the team that they were there to save the ailing music industry. It was a bold ambition which Michael Jackson accepted and fulfilled with room to spare.

We hear from Greg Phillinganes, the main keyboard player on the album about hearing the demo of Billie Jean for the first time, his explanation of why this track became a soul classic and the pressures of fame on Michael at that time. Michael Jackson chose Irish director, Steve Barron, to make the video for Billie Jean after seeing his work on The Human League’s Don’t You Want me. Steve shares what it was like to witness the explosive dance sequence for the video to very first time it was revealed to the world. The moonwalk became associated with Jackson’s live performances of Billie Jean but the first time he executed the move in public came some months after the video at the Motown 25 celebrations. Jeffrey Daniel talks about working with Michael on his dance moves, his own response to the famous Motown performance and the part the Michael Jackson and Thriller played in bringing Street Dance to a wider audience.

The follow up single to Billie Jean was another Michael Jackson composition: the rock inspired Beat It. Members of rock group Toto share the hilarious tale of how they came to work on this song – and helped to open up Michael Jackson to a whole new audience. Bob Giraldi, director of the video for Beat It, explains how Michael Jackson got members of two notorious Los Angeles gangs, the Crips and the Bloods, involved in the video shoot and the moment of film magic that saved the production. Dancer and choreographer, Vincent Paterson, talks to Ashley about working with Michael for first time on the Beat It video – and the way that life changed for the young singer after the phenomenal success of the Thriller album.

The next top ten hit off Thriller was Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’. Ashley meets up with famous backing singers the Waters Family to hear what it was like working on this track and their impressions of working with the soul superstar over many years. Steve Porcaro, the composer of yet another US hit single from Thriller, Human Nature, tells Ashley of the amazing stroke of good luck that meant that Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones listened to his demo and went on to select it for the bestselling album of all time.

After nearly a year on the charts album sales finally started to drop away but Michael Jackson had one card left to play: the release of the album’s title track – and, perhaps most importantly, it’s ground breaking video…

Ashley meets John Landis the A list Hollywood director behind the Thriller film, Rick Baker the seven times Oscar winning makeup artist who made Michael into a monster and Ola Ray, the former playboy model who lost her heart to Michael as his co-star in the film. He sees the iconic red leather jacket from the video and gets his hands on one of the custom made fedoras that became a part of Michael Jackson’s on stage identity.

Ashley learns about the enduring legacy of Michael Jackson and his musical masterpiece from the creator of the London musical Thriller Live! and from leading choreographer, Travis Payne, who worked with Jackson on his ill-fated final concert rehearsals. The people who worked with Michael Jackson on his masterpiece reveal what made Thriller so special – and the price that he paid for his unprecedented success…

I'm so going to watch this:clapping:
It is only an hour but he seemed to fit lots of interviews to it.

I shall put my alarm on for 10:15pm, Sunday 19 April 2015

@Dam2040, I hardly think Travis Payne searched Ashley and begged for him to interview him:)
I think Ashley searched Travis, because both of them are choreographers and dancers, and Ashley naturally wanted to talk to him.

ITV are broadcasting an hour long programme tonight on Mj's Thriller album presented by ashley banjo (the lead dancer in diversity dance troupe), it's part of their 'perspectives' arts series. The line up of people he interviews sounds really good. Great to have a mj uk documentary that focuses on the music and doesn't feature plastic surgery and/or uri geller.

Series overview

Re: ITV Perspectives: Michael Jackson's Thriller @ 10.15pm

I'm not in the UK so I won't be able to see it. I hope its fair and balanced.

Hopefully we will have it on YouTube soon.

EVERYBODY IN THE UK!!! Don't forget! 10:15 tonight!!! We (who can't see it) will be waiting for reviews and YouTube!!! :)

I saw it, just finished. Eh, is all I can say. It was nice to talk about the music, showing the demo's and Wembley '88 footage. It seemed to me, at least, they were taking away Michael's sheer genius and having it down to the collaborators because Michael was shy and they all proceeded to do the pathetic MJ voice attempt we're all more than familiar with. Plenty of great people in it, but the overriding message was that even though he became a media spectacle, at least he'd made Thriller. Positive at times, but still couldn't focus on the music entirely.

I posted my review in the 'Michael Mania' section, but in short it had cool people, cool use of demo's and the like but there were too many "It wasn't MJ's work, the collaborators devised it" especially the Beat It video. Definitely wouldn't be missing much if you didn't see it. The only thing I was unaware of was the Steve Pocarro (??) Human Nature demo for about 10 seconds. It ended by saying basically how no matter how odd/sad/quiet/private he got in the media he still had Thriller. Wasn't overly negative by any means, just not a full representation of just how genius Michael Jackson was, especially considering how a lot of the album deviated from his mind.

Thanks for the info. Think I'll skip it then if it does show on You Tube. I'll be impressed if they ever do anything which really showcases his genius.

:(. What?!! With that many of his greatest collaborators, this better be one of the best docs of all time. I don't expect much out of Landis these days, but expect the rest to be good. (And truthful).

Your 2 reviews have been darn disappointing.

:(. What?!! With that many of his greatest collaborators, this better be one of the best docs of all time. I don't expect much out of Landis these days, but expect the rest to be good. (And truthful).

Your 2 reviews have been darn disappointing.

Far, far from it. Didn't really have anything special in there, the rest were ok, just talking about how Michael didn't really do much himself and the others were helping Michael do everything. Celebrated MJ but didn't acknowledge just how big his contribution was.

I posted my review in the 'Michael Mania' section, but in short it had cool people, cool use of demo's and the like but there were too many "It wasn't MJ's work, the collaborators devised it" especially the Beat It video.

Wasn't overly negative by any means, just not a full representation of just how genius Michael Jackson was, especially considering how a lot of the album deviated from his mind.
Well, this is incredibly disappointing, since I can't really think of anyone who collaborated on the Beat It video except Bob and Michael Peters.

And after today, having a small debate about Michael being Pinocchio to Quincy's Gepetto, (and I'm one who considers Q a musical genius also) the last thing I want to hear is more of how Michael wasn't really involved in Thriller. Earlier today, while trying to find something I ran across another article where Quincy is quoted as saying "Michael didn't know what in the hxxx we were doing with Thriller, man". So maybe all of these people have been reading these articles. Very sad.

And you wonder why people still fail to acknowledge Michael's creative genius. With all these falsehoods left and right about him not being involved in anything that he actually created and with people with big egos always trying to take credit for Michael's work. So this documentary was yet another wasted opportunity? Sad.

Sad to hear that this turned out to be yet another wasted opportunity.

I remember when a couple of months ago the Beat It demo which shows Michael in the process of creating that song went viral and how impressed people were - and how surprised they were. To us fans it's natural, but in the mainstream media his creative genius has been played down so many times (just to stroke the egos of some other people around him who contribute to these documentaries) that people do not even know that side of him and it comes as a surprise to them.

There are much more positive responses on Twitter:

yvonne steele @heavenlymj · 14m 14 minutes ago
@AshleyBanjo @MJDoggoneLover Brilliant doc, loved it, this is what we all want, no rubbish just MJ's amazing talent

Tamel Mei @tamelMei · 1h 1 hour ago
Michael Jackson in his sexy days on ITV...Forever thankful for his inspirations #MichaelJackson #Thriller #AshleyBanjo

Michelle Griffiths @MichGGsy · 1h 1 hour ago
My two favourite things... Michael Jackson music and @AshleyBanjo on @ITV #stayingup

Musha @kimmitmarshall · 1h 1 hour ago
Itv. perspectives. Michael Jackson #legend #seenhimtwice #LUCKYBITCH

rose. @subtlerose_xo · 1h 1 hour ago
Itv is so interesting, this documentary on michael jackson and the making of the thriller video.

15 Yemen Road, Yemen @Scissorhands86 · 1h 1 hour ago
Loving this Michael Jackson Thriller documentary, amazing! ���� @itv

Smooth EmJay @Jenbot78 · 1h 1 hour ago
Michael Jackson, a true legend who will live FOREVER in his music. Thanks again @AshleyBanjo for the ITV doc and for respecting him.

christina morgan @lowerbullens · 1h 1 hour ago
Still miss Michael Jackson he was amazing!! #ITV #Perspectives

Vin Moses @vinmoses · 1h 1 hour ago
#Mum & #Dad Recommend: Living With #MichaelJackson , https://itvstudios.com/programmes/li...ichael-jackson …, #ITV , #Mj is definitely the greatest, #music to accompany #life

Martin Girtley @Martin_MGirtZ · 1h 1 hour ago
@AshleyBanjo @ITV amazing documentary #Perspectives very insightful look into the genius that was and always will be #MichaelJackson thanks!

Graham McKee @Keesy2411 · 58m 58 minutes ago
the michael jackson doc on itv was class! good to see toto on it. steve lukather is a legend!

Ami Chatha @amichatha · 1h 1 hour ago
Michael Jackson - what a phenomenal talent - privileged to have seen him perform live #ITV #TheKing

rach @cartwheelashton · 27m 27 minutes ago
I'm so fascinated by Michael Jackson

o @apostrophediva · 2h 2 hours ago
This documentary on Michael Jackson's Thriller is really good. Worth switching over for #ITV @AshleyBanjo

Kevin Hughes @Popprince · 2h 2 hours ago
Watching (& loving) #Perspectives @itv now-examining Michael Jackson's Thriller with @AshleyBanjo Nice hearing the Beat It demo again..

Paige ☮ @KingMJsFangirl · 1h 1 hour ago
You don't realise how much I love a documentary being aired on a big TV channel about Michael and not one bad thing is being said ��

Jordan Banjo @Jordan_Banjo · 1h 1 hour ago
Man Like @AshleyBanjo �� Slaying This Documentary Bro! #inspirational #KingOfPop #Mj

Sam Geden @KaisaJesta · 1h 1 hour ago
Finally, a British-made Michael Jackson documentary that cuts the BS and focuses on the artistry. Well done @AshleyBanjo! It was great!

Steven (MJFFC)
‏@MJFFC_Steven
Ashley Banjo, thank you for being awesome. Great doc!

David Boakes @DavidBoakesMJ · 1h 1 hour ago
After so many years finally happy to see a nice clean amazing documentary :) R.I.P MJ

DAVID RICHARDSON @SEXYDAVE28 · 2h 2 hours ago
Watching a documentary on itv about Michael Jackson he really was an amazing artist can't beat a bit of MJ sad loss for music

sophie jones @sophsjonesy · 1h 1 hour ago
that MJ documentary was brilliant, well done @AshleyBanjo @ITV ❤️

tim_eph @aobm123 · 58m 58 minutes ago
#ITV just watch a documentary on the late great @michaeljackson on the Album Thriller, we forget how ahead of his time he was. RIP MJ WE❤️U

Louise @louisecm91 · 2h 2 hours ago
Love a good, positive documentary about Michael Jackson!

Chris Penfold ✂️ @chriscutshairuk · 1h 1 hour ago
Enjoyed that MJ program on ITV. #refreshinggoodtv

Helen @lasttear4mj · 1h 1 hour ago
@shellys_Wellie @AshleyBanjo How refreshing to watch a documentary that focussed on Michaels artistry. Great job Ashley u did our hero proud

Katie Piper @KatiePiper_ · 2h 2 hours ago
MJ- what a man!

Ashley Banjo @AshleyBanjo · 59m 59 minutes ago
Wow a lot of love for the MJ doc tonight. Feel Inspired all over again and also very proud to focus on his artistry over his personal life

oë Powell @ZOEboeyxx · 1h 1 hour ago
So lovely to watch a documentary on #MichaelJackson where the music and legacy is the main focus!! No mention of any BS!! #brilliant

Shoot! I forgot to watch this docu and was a sleep when it aired:(
Have to find a place when I can see it, or wait until its uploaded on utube.

I watched the docu Liked Ashley.Loved Bruce Swedian saying he misses MJ so much and thinks of him every day. Quincy was not there - thank goodness.
What annoys me is when people say MJ died of "overdose of prescription drugs" like he did it to himself,when in fact we know he died under the care of his doc.

Bonnie Blue, can you post your review if you watched it and if possible can you find out how many viewers this program got?

I'm happy that UK tv shows a program that has nothing to do with Michael's autopsy report or (alleged)plastic surgery. If this program got good amount of views, maybe they think showing more proper documentaries of MJ.

I'm surprised itv is actually showing a postive Mj show for once
They usually put typical slandering type documentaries bout mj

Well, maybe I jumped the gun. Good remarks on twitter so maybe more reviews will come in today.

Sorry mods, did quickly check to see if there was a thread on this when i posted but didn't notice the mjmania thead. Do please merge.

Totally disagree with dam2014's reveiw. Thought it was a great little documentary, was very respectful of mj's genius, was focused on the music and was very sympathetic towards mj as a person having to cope with the unprecedented level of fame. Didn't know much about Ashley banjo apart from the fact he was a member of diversity but he was a really personable presenter and was so clearly a huge fan of mj.

He had great access, no quincy but you had swedian, phillinganes, the waters family getting back together to sing the backing vocals on wbss again, interviews with toto (and example #248 of how mj found it completely impossible to have anyone believe that it was actually him on the phone when guitarist steve lukather had to eventually be told by quincy on the third attempt to please accept that it was mj on the phone). For the thriller 'short films' you had interviews with the directors of thriller, beat it and billie jean, and for the dance, there was vincent paterson and jeffry daniel. Even orla ray got a walk on part, literally, showing ashley how she did the famous walk past the graveyard. It covered a bit about thriller mj's influence on fashion with a segment in the grammy museum and a look at his thriller jacket and fedora. They used the music from thriller, including a couple of the demos, and showed clips of the thriller short films as well as a few clips from bad/off the wall videos, and a few clips of mj performing thriller songs during the bad tour, as well as the motown 25 moonwalk.

Found it a really enjoyable documentary, wasn't dumbed down in an itv-ish like way ( ie no olly muirs saying how much he loved mj) but had a really fabulous collection of people who actually had worked on thriller and who could contribute meaningfully. I'm not sure how anyone could have come away from it not believing that mj was the driving force behind it all - his drive and ambition to make it the biggest album of all time was constantly stressed and his multi-talents in songwriting, dance and performing were front and centre. I'm usually pretty defensive of slights against mj but nothing rattled my cage. It was fabulous to have a primetime(ish) postive respectful documentary on mj and his music on a major tv channel, i would have hoped mj fans would be behind it.

It's on itv player for a month, but i think just for uk peeps.
https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/persp...-michael-jackson-s-thriller-with-ashley-banjo

Last edited:
Back