Auction Yesturday: Michael Jackson Not Voted "Most Likely to Succeed" in High School Yearbook

Re: Auction Yesturday: Michael Jackson Not Voted "Most Likely to Succeed" in High School Yearbook

even doing a vegas act is success. i still don't see a convincing argument here. if you are a past success, like the Bay City Rollers, it's still too late to call them a failure, even if they are no longer popular, because they were already a success. even a one hit wonder, for only one time in life, is a success, let alone MJ's success. so..my feeling is, a 'never satisfied, never successful' is apparent here. perhaps, those who voted, are not successful because of their state of mind. but anyway..you know what? it's not smart for a person to listen to voices outside themselves. they should listen within.
I have no idea of what you're talking about. The yearbook doesn't say anything about anybody being a "failure". Someone else was picked as "most likely to succeed". You're just reading too much into that sarcastic article title. If you asked someone in 1976 if something like the "Thriller" album would have happened, the answer would have been no. The last few Motown albums didn't do anything, so why would someone think he would be a success in the future? Show business is fickle, its like Janet's song "What Have You Done For Me Lately".

Re: Auction Yesturday: Michael Jackson Not Voted "Most Likely to Succeed" in High School Yearbook

I have no idea of what you're talking about. The yearbook doesn't say anything about anybody being a "failure". Someone else was picked as "most likely to succeed". You're just reading too much into that sarcastic article title. If you asked someone in 1976 if something like the "Thriller" album would have happened, the answer would have been no. The last few Motown albums didn't do anything, so why would someone think he would be a success in the future? Show business is fickle, its like Janet's song "What Have You Done For Me Lately".

all i have to say is....LOL

I see Randy's picture is underneath him, but since Randy is a bit younger I don't know how they attended high school at the same time. Maybe Marlon, but not Randy.

Randy is only 3 years younger than Michael. So Michael was most likely a senior in high school and Randy a sophomore.

I didn't know Michael went to a real high school. I thought he had tutors the whole time. How come we haven't seen a graduation photo or heard high school stories about Michael from classmates? All I know is that Kathy Hilton went to school with him, so I guess high school.

I think we all know at this age that Michael had already succeeded in his life. I think they wanted to give some other guy a chance! LOL! But he should have been voted 'most musical'!

In regards to Motown, Motown was not really good to their artists. Maybe the Jackson's "weren't as successful" in the 70's because Gordy was busy trying to Make Diana Ross the Queen of entertainment. Look at what Berry did to Flo Ballard. :sad::cry:

The Jackson's did have success in the 70's though, it wasn't all bad. You have the Destiny album which was a huge success and the Variety show was popular. They were head to head with the Osmond's.

Well this was around the mid 70s when the Jacksons' popularity had died off and they weren't selling much.

That's not true - they had Dancing machine & Body language, which were HUGE HITS.

They also had their TV variety show around that time too.

Well, you're not going to vote someone who has already succeeded - Most Likely To Succeed. Seems a bit pointless. :lol:

That's what I said - it's redundant to vote "Most likely to succeed" to someone who's already successful.

That's not true - they had Dancing machine & Body language, which were HUGE HITS.

That's right, Dancing Machine was huge too. I forgot about that album.

exactly. the last time i heard, MJ is known for success in five decades. dipping ur spoon in each decade, even if it's only for one of the years of that decade is phenomenal. so happens it was for more than one year in the seventies. i have music from him from all five decades. all of it is memorable stuff. all of it, top ten, at least, and much of it, number 1. if anything...any time off he took was just enough for him to not be overexposed. so that makes his success to be even MORE perfect! lol. so those voters come off as being either stoned, or...average. lol

So anyway, is this the school he went to with that naughty Danny Bonaduce? :lol:

So anyway, is this the school he went to with that naughty Danny Bonaduce? :lol:

omg :bugeyed

Dancing Machine came out in 1973 on "Get It Together". Even the "Dancing Machine" album came out in 74. Body Language was no hit. I was around then, and it was never played on the radio. The Jacksons (- Jermaine) had left Motown and Gordy sued them, so why would the label bother promoting that album "Moving Violation". You can look up that album on Billboard and it says it never charted. If "Body Language" was so popular, why is it never on J5 hits compilations? If they were so successful during this period, why was Mike worried about becoming an "oldies act", and why did the group leave Motown in the 1st place? Everybody had a variety show in the 1970s. They're the equivalent of a show like "Dancing With The Stars" today. It was work for celebrities whose fame had dimmed somewhat or B-list. Mike didn't even want to do the show because he didn't think the Jacksons would be taken seriously afterward.

Dancing Machine came out in 1973 on "Get It Together". Even the "Dancing Machine" album came out in 74. Body Language was no hit. I was around then, and it was never played on the radio. The Jacksons (- Jermaine) had left Motown and Gordy sued them, so why would the label bother promoting that album "Moving Violation". You can look up that album on Billboard and it says it never charted. If "Body Language" was so popular, why is it never on J5 hits compilations? If they were so successful during this period, why was Mike worried about becoming an "oldies act", and why did the group leave Motown in the 1st place? Everybody had a variety show in the 1970s. They're the equivalent of a show like "Dancing With The Stars" today. It was work for celebrities whose fame had dimmed somewhat or B-list. Mike didn't even want to do the show because he didn't think the Jacksons would be taken seriously afterward.

uhmm...not everybody in the world had a variety show. i'm sure his classmates didn't. isn't it possible that MJ's success is so great that you are minimizing the 'low points' in his career?

any space..or..'hiatus' in MJ's career, really cannot be counted as a low point. face it. his success is that great. even if some of his songs were misses as opposed to hits...it's sorta like saying the new york yankees barely missed the playoffs, if you're familiar with baseball. the greatest artists of all time, including Beethoven, had misses. there are no absolute constant hitmakers. although there could be a different argument for MJ once he got space away from his brothers. an MJ loss is a lot of peoples' wishful win. him having fears and doubts doesn't denote a low point. if anything, it shows his genius in diverting true pitfalls. and like i said..chances are, if he was a constant in your face act, he might have been overexposed, and his career might have TRULY ended. so, even the 'spaces of nothing' in between his successful moments, can be considered beneficial to the blossoming of his career. he said that he 'never knew a time when he wasn't performing'. his success never stopped.

That's right, Dancing Machine was huge too. I forgot about that album.

A person with so much success that even makes us forget about a hit shouldn't be voted as most likely to succeed. =D

Randy is only 3 years younger than Michael. So Michael was most likely a senior in high school and Randy a sophomore.

I didn't know Michael went to a real high school. I thought he had tutors the whole time. How come we haven't seen a graduation photo or heard high school stories about Michael from classmates? All I know is that Kathy Hilton went to school with him, so I guess high school.

I think we all know at this age that Michael had already succeeded in his life. I think they wanted to give some other guy a chance! LOL! But he should have been voted 'most musical'!

I wonder how long he was in high school. I thought it was lke a couple of months but now I jus' don't know. The more you know...haha

Thanks for the persepctive Buddy. Aw man, if only they knew they was going to school with the biggest star of all time...u neva know who ya gunna meet in this life, huh.

Awww... Mike is soooooo cute... :wub:

I love that he's the shyest, most creative and best dressed. It's adorable! I can picture him exactly like that in high school.. If only I went to the same high school as him back in the day... (sigh)

Back