Awkward dance move in 'Beat It'?

prettyyoungthaang

Proud Member
I love 'Beat It', both the song and the video. However, whenever I watch it I can't help but wonder what's happening at 2:20? I always thought that move was very underwhelming and wasn't sure what purpose it served. Not trying to be overly-critical just wondering if I'm the only one who noticed this.

^^You mean where he looks over the bar counter? I always assumed he thought he was late to the fight and was checking it out to see if anyone was still there-hiding, dead after the rumble, or something like that. It's not awkward.

Last edited:
He misplaced his Gameboy, and he checked over the counter to see if it was there.

He's checking the place out after everyone left so infusing 'looking over the counter' with dance.

He was pushed by his own ghost sent back from the future.

- Michael wants to see if there´s anyone left behind the counter who needs help ...

- He´s looking for a PEPSI, ´cause our man is thirsty from all the dancing :cheeky:

I never gave that part too much thought.. did not think it was awkward until you brought it up.. now we awkwardly are in an awkward standoff battling if this move was awkward or not. You say it's awkward I say it's not awkward... How awkward!

;)

Michael´s art never ceases to give us something to think about.

The "look over the counter" may not be a dance move, but Michael does it so gracefully and completely incorporates it into his masterful dancing.

Beat-it-michael-jackson-9603579-250-200.gif

No!

He's just looking over the counter, wondering where the hell everyone has gone. No one sitting at the counter, no one behind the counter...Then he's checking the pool area at 2:29 etc. It's not just a dance, he's acting out a story.

Now I'm gonna be wondering if there's a specific reason for this glance over the counter. Maybe there's a back story from Bob Giraldi/Michael Peters somewhere. (I never knew, after all this time, that this came out on my birthday!)

Just MJ being spontaneous. Alot of the moves you see in the Billie Jean and Beat it (before dance routine section) were him dancing without thought. He applied the same method in DSTTYGE and RWY videos.

I'm sure there's a scientific explanation for why Michael looked over the counter

Just looking over the counter to see where the hell brother Jermaine "the next Marvin Gaye" Jackson's career went....

Dewey-we have that Tom Joyner interview on the Beat It set where he does this exact part. But Bob is yakking it up to the crew and not paying attention. Ha.

Back