B.o.t.d.f

you say "Susie" was a code word for drugs? Ok he used that name in 2 songs. Blood on the dance floor and SuperFly Sister.....

Well if thats the case is Billie Jean code word to? Because well he used it in 2 songs to... The title of his most famous song and WBSS. hmm could be a link there *rolls eyes*

I think you should all lay off sugarbunny! If you don't wanna discuss the lyrics from this point of view, then don't post in this thread. Simple. No need to be mean or rude, especially at a time like this. People don't need or can't handle being attacked! We need to be supportive in each other.

Anyway, to me when listening to this song in the past, I always thought that something didn't make sense or add up from a lyricists point of view, and always thought that it was something metaphorical in there, but could never put my finger on it. After the recent event, a metaphor for drugs, could well be the answer! Makes sense to me!

As for the baby part, this could be in reference to the seperation and isolation from his family and loved ones that some1 in his situation would feel. Im not quite sure when this was written, but it could be taken from the point of view of baby = distanced him from his children, baby = taken away his love, baby = him, taken away from his mother, all through the addiction.

you say "Susie" was a code word for drugs? Ok he used that name in 2 songs. Blood on the dance floor and SuperFly Sister.....

Well if thats the case is Billie Jean code word to? Because well he used it in 2 songs to... The title of his most famous song and WBSS. hmm could be a link there *rolls eyes*

if you dont like the discussion then stop reading. To ridicule someones opinion because its different from yours is low. I think you need to step away from your keyboard and find your supportive community spirit!!!

I think 'susie' sounds like an alter ego.... if that is the case, it makes sense for the song 'little susie' as well. That is kind of the back story of the alter ego... and how the drug persona was created. BOTDF is the 'grown up' susie

there is only 1 drug related song MJ has ever done. You are all going to far and you know it. Your looking for things that aint there your dissecting his music looking for hidden meaning in some that have none. I hate that this is going on. He has done nothing but give us wonderful music that you are now ripping apart trying to find code words for drug use. This is absolutely ridiculous.
Yes, this is silly..

:agree:Sorry guys, BOTDF is a song about one- night stands. It is about sex and not about drugs. The dance floor is the bed where the dance of sex takes place. The "blood" is the blood is the baby that is result of that affair. Think about it, "Its all about taking a chance and not about love and romance" says it all right there. I think this song may be about Debbie. I think the knife in the back is about her wanting her parental rights back although she had given them up and then asking for more money to give them up again. I think that may be why he feels she is stabbing him in the back. She had said it was all about friendship but it turned out to be all about money. I think there may be some regrets there too because of how it ruined his relationship with Lisa Marie so he says he wished he could go back and erase the past. You have to take into consideration that there is some poetic license in there too.:yes:

hmmm ... the literal interpretation i always took was the same as jacksonologist.

The song has always haunted me with meanings though. It could be any number of actual scenarios that he was metaphorically using in the lyrics. Instead of love for a person, it could be a tale of a relationship in general. Masking feelings for business partners or trusted 'friends' and pouring those thoughts out in the form of a tortured love affair.

This is the type of discussion i love and miss on the forums :D Thank you for posting this and thank you to everyone that is actively taking part.

Wow, very interesting! o.o It does have a different view on what it means if you think of it that way.

there's nothing wrong with analyzing Michael's lyrics - but why put this thread in this section?
it makes us look like a bunch of crazy loonies

:agree:Sorry guys, BOTDF is a song about one- night stands. It is about sex and not about drugs. The dance floor is the bed where the dance of sex takes place. The "blood" is the blood is the baby that is result of that affair. Think about it, "Its all about taking a chance and not about love and romance" says it all right there. I think this song may be about Debbie. I think the knife in the back is about her wanting her parental rights back although she had given them up and then asking for more money to give them up again. I think that may be why he feels she is stabbing him in the back. She had said it was all about friendship but it turned out to be all about money. I think there may be some regrets there too because of how it ruined his relationship with Lisa Marie so he says he wished he could go back and erase the past. You have to take into consideration that there is some poetic license in there too.:yes:

Oh, that's an interesting theory :yes:

hmmm ... the literal interpretation i always took was the same as jacksonologist.

The song has always haunted me with meanings though. It could be any number of actual scenarios that he was metaphorically using in the lyrics. Instead of love for a person, it could be a tale of a relationship in general. Masking feelings for business partners or trusted 'friends' and pouring those thoughts out in the form of a tortured love affair.

This is the type of discussion i love and miss on the forums :D Thank you for posting this and thank you to everyone that is actively taking part.

I like your theory here :) and appreciate you writing your thoughts and opinons clearly rather than "its about a girl" etc. I love reading and hearing people anylasis.
I would like to do this with some more of his songs post the lyrics and disscuss the connotations and metaphors hidden. It feels like your really picking into michaels mind. (without sounding gross :p ) im just worried as some people get offended if you look at Michaels song more than face value so to speak. Which is ashame as he definatley disgised messages in his songs with metaphors - Which is part of his genius!

@snowhite : This is a investigate forum section - and were investigating his songs :)

When you forget the music, and just read the lyrics as a poem at lot more is revealed.

the drug theory is interesting- i always knew it was about one night stands but i also thought that susie was fame, how she sucks you in and then takes your life. We need to remember that this song was an outtake of dangerous though, which was probably recorded in 90ish, before debbie and before his addiction- but we don't know his status with drugs in the early 90s because the pepsi accident was six year prior....

And could people stop bad mouthing others opinions in here, we'r all entitled to express what we think- there is nothing malicious or disrespectful in this thread, except for the knocking of others opinions- michael left us a lot of songs to enjoy, and its up to us to take what we want from them, if we want to. Eg if i say that i think wanna be starting something is about a car not starting in the morning, who is to say i'm wrong!?!

I clearly don't think that though!

This wouldn't suprise me

I never looked into these lyrics quite like that, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Everyone seems to be taking Mike's lyrics to literally and not giving a deeper meaning or a metaphorical meaning a chance. I also believe Mike had a lot of ambiguous meaning in his lyrics, so you have no choice but to look a bit deeper.

In my years of listening to him and learning about his life, I've always found tidbits of songs to be extremely autobiographical or that the songs could have multiple meanings. Take "Who Is It" for instance...

The song is about a woman, a relationship gone awry. I would not deny that, but a few parts of this song have always stood out to me as deeply personal

I Am The Damned
I Am The Dead
I Am The Agony Inside
The Dying Head
This Is Injustice
Woe Unto Thee
I Pray This Punishment
Would Have Mercy On Me

To me, that has always been about more than the fact that "she found someone else"

The same could be said for "Is It Scary." On the surface its a song about ghouls and ghosts ala "Thriller." If we take a deeper look at some of those lyrics, its obviously about himself and the hurt he's felt from people. Its like "You guys keep saying all of this shit about me, fuck it, I'll be that person if thats what you want"

I'm gonna be
Exactly what you wanna see
It's you whose haunting me
Your wanting me
To be the stranger
In your life

Am I amusing you
Or just confusing you
Am I the beast
You visualised
And if you wanna to see
Eccentrialities
I'll be grotesque
Before your eyes

Let them all materialise

I agree that with many songs you could try to hard to make song lyrics into something else. A song such as "Blood on the Dance Floor" seems to have enough drug references to warrant that discussion. Actually reading the lyrics, I would agree that their is a deeper meaning with this song. Couple that with the timeframe in which it was written and released, I would agree that something more is being said that "that bitch is crazy and has a knife!"

I never knew that about Debbie Rowe..i thought she had given up on any parenting rights , right away and accepted money from MJ. The media
always tried to say it as if MJ offered her money to 'go away' so he could have the children..but in fact it was her that asked for money so then she would let him be? damn.

Anyway...about Is it scary. In my opinion definitely not only about 'Thriller' like things. He says things in that song 'See the evil one is you...' and the lyrics that were posted. It's definitely about him, and in the way how the media and lots of people in general see him. I really do believe he means that as well.

Don't know about the drug story in Blood on the dancefloor though, i truly don't see that.

:doh::doh::doh:

weren't they still married? and wasn'tmorphine written for dangerous? i thought these songs were teh scraps left over from dangerous and he just threw them on a record to waste up one cd in his contract w/ sony

Sugar, i think the only cry if he ever was doing one, was in Morphine but i think that could be something argued as well.

T

Eg if i say that i think wanna be starting something is about a car not starting in the morning, who is to say i'm wrong!?!

I clearly don't think that though!

Hehehe, that was funny! Michaels car won't start in the morning, he just "damn!" and starts writing a song about it! ;)

I never looked into these lyrics quite like that, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Everyone seems to be taking Mike's lyrics to literally and not giving a deeper meaning or a metaphorical meaning a chance. I also believe Mike had a lot of ambiguous meaning in his lyrics, so you have no choice but to look a bit deeper.

In my years of listening to him and learning about his life, I've always found tidbits of songs to be extremely autobiographical or that the songs could have multiple meanings. Take "Who Is It" for instance...

The song is about a woman, a relationship gone awry. I would not deny that, but a few parts of this song have always stood out to me as deeply personal

I Am The Damned
I Am The Dead
I Am The Agony Inside
The Dying Head
This Is Injustice
Woe Unto Thee
I Pray This Punishment
Would Have Mercy On Me

To me, that has always been about more than the fact that "she found someone else"

The same could be said for "Is It Scary." On the surface its a song about ghouls and ghosts ala "Thriller." If we take a deeper look at some of those lyrics, its obviously about himself and the hurt he's felt from people. Its like "You guys keep saying all of this shit about me, fuck it, I'll be that person if thats what you want"

I'm gonna be
Exactly what you wanna see
It's you whose haunting me
Your wanting me
To be the stranger
In your life

Am I amusing you
Or just confusing you
Am I the beast
You visualised
And if you wanna to see
Eccentrialities
I'll be grotesque
Before your eyes

Let them all materialise

I agree that with many songs you could try to hard to make song lyrics into something else. A song such as "Blood on the Dance Floor" seems to have enough drug references to warrant that discussion. Actually reading the lyrics, I would agree that their is a deeper meaning with this song. Couple that with the timeframe in which it was written and released, I would agree that something more is being said that "that bitch is crazy and has a knife!"

I have also though about that part of Who is it and Is it scary... To me, Is it scary is so obviously about him and the media who wants him to be a weird monster that they have the right so say whatever they want about.

Am I amusing you
Or just confusing you
Am I the beast
You visualised

But if you came to see
The truth the purity
It's here inside
A lonely heart
So let the performance start

Am I scary for you
I'm tired of being abused
You know you're scaring me too