Bad Tour DVD [CLOSED] Cont. discussion in The Estate Of Michael Jackson Re Wembley DVD Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bad Tour DVD (Disscussion Thread)

That's a good point. About 40 minutes will have to be cut from the cd so it won't be a live album of the whole show. That could only happen if it were a double disc live album.

Jesta;3648069 said:
http://www.mjjunderground.com/2012/05/30/bad-25-dvd-to-include-dirty-diana/

"We can also reveal the DVD video and sound quality have been restored to a very high standard… not high-def but a quality much higher than the video teaser released last week to various news outlets."

That's great news! But with that said, the quality of the footage shown in the teaser were pretty bad. So it doesn't take much to justify the remark about "much higher" quality. It's all relative.

If the DVD turns out to be of decent quality, i'll have a hard time to understand why they released the teaser in the first place. Why not wait until they can show off the real quality of the product? It doesn't make sense to me to release a promotional teaser that makes the product appear worse than it is.

MJJUnderground don't provide any source for that info.

If the quality is as good as the video that Dorian posted a couple of pages back, I'll be more than satisfied. As for the teaser, I guess they wanted to give fans something to hold onto while they're working on remastering the project.

As for the live album, either they cut a couple of songs or shorten a few to make it fit on the disc.

They're in contact with the Estate - I'd say it's safe to assume that they're the source in this matter.

To me his statement indicates that they had that much material for filming, so that they could experiment with different angles, shots, etc. . I mean, just look at the Another Part of Me Video ...

Someone sure had fun with all the close-ups on Michael's butt...

They're in contact with the Estate - I'd say it's safe to assume that they're the source in this matter.

How do we know that and specifically whom? Anyone can contact the Estate via twitter after all.

As for the live album, either they cut a couple of songs or shorten a few to make it fit on the disc.

They could cut the parts that weren't sung live. And the interlude of course...

How do we know that and specifically whom? Anyone can contact the Estate via twitter after all.

Only through the Online Team. I believe MJNA has direct contact with the Estate in the same way that Gaz does. MJNA has no reason to make stuff up on this matter and I'd say that they're trustworthy, so I see no reason to doubt them.

They could cut the parts that weren't sung live. And the interlude of course...

That would be good! Though I hope they leave Smooth Criminal alone, for personal reasons :p I wouldn't mind them some mimed verses to make space, so long as they don't shave too much off of a song.

you will not get a name in this instance. I know for a fact that several of us is trying to gather information from multiple parties - well Estate and Sony mainly- as soon as possible. This is kinda the reply sent to me , an off-record not official statement info that we can vaguely mention without giving the source.

These are aimed to ease the minds of the fans while waiting for the official detailed statements and such.

André89;3648077 said:
i'll have a hard time to understand why they released the teaser in the first place. Why not wait until they can show off the real quality of the product? It doesn't make sense to me to release a promotional teaser that makes the product appear worse than it is.

I was wondering about this and did draw a parallel with the Breaking News situation. Perhaps they were testing the waters on both occasions. They knew the Casico songs were the 'weak' elements of the Michael project, and similarly the quality of this DVD. Maybe they put out the respective teasers to test the reaction with a view to perhaps coming up with a plan B if the reaction was not positive...

If the overwelmingly negative response to Breaking News didn't get them to change their minds, I'm not gonna get my hopes up :p

I'd understand it if they'd only released the teaser to the fan boards, or even just put it up at michaeljackson.com. But by releasing it to the media, they're targeting a much wider audience, that might be put off by the quality. Even in the first scenario, I'd expect a disclaimer like "the footage in this trailer does not represent the final quality" or something like that.

I was wondering about this and did draw a parallel with the Breaking News situation. Perhaps they were testing the waters on both occasions. They knew the Casico songs were the 'weak' elements of the Michael project, and similarly the quality of this DVD. Maybe they put out the respective teasers to test the reaction with a view to perhaps coming up with a plan B if the reaction was not positive...

In that instance they completely ignored all fan feedback and managed to destroy the album and create mass distrust and animosity amongst the fan base. With such idiotic decisions, and a total lack of respect for their audience, it's no wonder fans are concerned now.

André89;3648090 said:
I'd understand it if they'd only released it to the fan boards, or even just put it up at michaeljackson.com. But by releasing it to the media, they're targeting a much wider audience, that might be put off by the quality. Even in the first scenario, I'd expect a disclaimer like "the footage in this trailer does not represent the final quality" or something like that.

they didn't release it to the media as much as you portray. the first video was only posted in michaeljackson.com, it wasn't included (or linked) in the official PR release (we get those too) sent to mass media.

The second video was only given to UK Daybreak by Sony UK I believe. So it's not really a widely circulated promotion teaser. most media only got the written press release.

Just to specify. When I said "the media", I meant Daybreak, which does target quite a wide audience.

André89;3648097 said:
Just to specify. When I said "the media", I meant Daybreak, which does target quite a wide audience.

in UK.

there hasn't been a single trailer shown in USA for example. and that's what I meant by not given to "mass media" or not "widely circulated"

I never did argue that the teaser was widely circulated on a worldwide scale. I originally refered to Daybreak, and that's why i specified it in my previous post to avoid confusion. And from my understanding, this show do target a wide audience in the UK.

Jesta;3648069 said:
http://www.mjjunderground.com/2012/05/30/bad-25-dvd-to-include-dirty-diana/

"We can also reveal the DVD video and sound quality have been restored to a very high standard… not high-def but a quality much higher than the video teaser released last week to various news outlets."

This is good. I'm gonna chill and look forward to Bad 25 again! We'd all love HD but it must not be possible right now which is a shame. I can enjoy it as long as it's "a very high standard". There seems to be sooooooooooo many issues when it comes to MJ's catalogue/material that in this instance, becasue it's Bad 88 Wembley, I'm willing to settle for mediocrity. It's something I thought would never see the light of day. And as bad as the Estate have been, I can't believe that their choosing to release a VHS rip over a Film copy. Theres got to be more to it and it's surely out of their control right now. I also don't think they would hold back on a HD version over a lower quality version just to make money. That makes no sense. I really do feel their trying to give the fans what they want. If, between now and September they can locate and upgrade the dvd, great. But if not, I'm still gonna enjoy this.

hahaha, like "you wear michael jackson's own sweaty shirt". it makes you feel like you are michael.
or for the ladies, it's like michael is hugging you.

singing:
I'm dreaming of Michael's t-shirt and watching the wemley dvdddddd"
Pervert, i know.

Where's Wemley?? What performance is that? I wonder if it's in good quality...,if so, they should use that one :fear:

:p :D

This situation is all too familiar for Star Wars fans.

For those not in the know, Star Wars fans have been begging George Lucas for the original, unaltered versions of the original Star Wars trilogy on DVD. Finally, in 2006, we got our wish... in the form of a bonus feature on a DVD. The problem: they threw a crappy laserdisc transfer onto the discs. In 2006, it was unacceptable. Today, it is UNWATCHABLE.

We face the same situation here today as MJ fans. A VHS rip, even if "remastered", simply isn't going to cut it in today's day and age. To make things worse, the original Star Wars film exists in the form of ageless technicolor prints, and Empire and Jedi are definitely in a vault somewhere. It's simply stubbornness by the part of George Lucas, in a case where millions of fans would gladly pay anything to get these films.

As MJ fans, we observe the incredible quality of the Bad Tour footage recorded for Moonwalker. My jaw dropped when I saw the blu ray for the first time. THAT kind of respect is what not only the fans deserve, but Michael Jackson himself deserves. Anything less for probably the greatest concert of all time is unacceptable.

I thought that this thread was made to talk about the quality of the DVD/VHS. Now how come when people are doing just that they are reprimanded?

There has been no moderation (reprimends) in this thread that I know of. Now various people posting in this thread may have different views about the discussion or opinions on the negativity, but all opinions are welcome unless they are disrespectful in tone.

BAD tour finally being released is great. But this quality issue is indeed worrying. I hope the quality will be so good that people with 60" and more can still enjoy the concert!

It would suck if quality was so bad you'd have to watch the concert on the laptop small screen...

On what the DVD's setlist and hopefully the quality of it and if I hope release it on Blu Ray

Can't wait for SONY to release a track list of the DVD - and the extra material!

For those not in the know, Star Wars fans have been begging George Lucas for the original, unaltered versions of the original Star Wars trilogy on DVD. Finally, in 2006, we got our wish... in the form of a bonus feature on a DVD. The problem: they threw a crappy laserdisc transfer onto the discs. In 2006, it was unacceptable. Today, it is UNWATCHABLE.

We face the same situation here today as MJ fans. A VHS rip, even if "remastered", simply isn't going to cut it in today's day and age. To make things worse, the original Star Wars film exists in the form of ageless technicolor prints, and Empire and Jedi are definitely in a vault somewhere. It's simply stubbornness by the part of George Lucas, in a case where millions of fans would gladly pay anything to get these films.

As MJ fans, we observe the incredible quality of the Bad Tour footage recorded for Moonwalker. My jaw dropped when I saw the blu ray for the first time. THAT kind of respect is what not only the fans deserve, but Michael Jackson himself deserves. Anything less for probably the greatest concert of all time is unacceptable.

Indeed! It was the same thing with Indiana Jones. For a long time I had been waiting for a DVD release. I couldn't understand his stubborness not to release them in HQ. Especially Star Wars!

Finally, Star Wars have been released on blu-ray, yay! I still haven't bought them as I am looking for the 6BD box set.

Also for those who know how much MJ was demanding it's a shame we have to worry about the video quality. I of course have faith in SONY's technology, they did invent the blu-ray, but I am sad to know that we might face the loss of the HQ films of the biggest entertainer that has walked on the surface of the Earth.

I am also afraid that with low quality video release non-fans or potential new fans would just overlook it without bothering to buy it or if they buy it, not being able to see the "true magic" MJ was referring to in his letter.

We should not count only on the Estate, but on ourselves as well. We should act united and track down where those films could be and who has them. And yes, just like Michael himself, we shouldn't be satisfied as long as it's not perfect and spare ourselves from patronizing remarks for being demanding.

It is true MJ is not here, but the releases can be done without him. It is up to us to watch over those releases to be up to MJ's standards.

p.s. I hope I won't need to call Chuck Norris.

Last edited:
16mm & 35mm
the reason i think why the used both is cause 16mm camera is less heavy. so its problably used by cameraman that walks around the stage.
the difference in quality is that 16mm has more grain, because of the less detail.
if you watch mitm more precisely, you'll notice that some shots are grainy then the rest. mostly close-up's. still the result is great and no need to jump on that. you see in moonwalker is handeled very well.

someone mentioned the imax with 35mm like the dark knight. the differences there are very well notible. its like day and night. 70mm is much more fine and looks perfect almost real.

From the article

16 mm is lower quality than 35mm. the mixture - not maintaining a certain quality - makes him think it was shot for fun and necessarily for a release.

so not every concert was filmed.

16 mm can still produce HD. If 35mm can go to 4K then I think 16mm can go up to 2K so HD is fully possible.

The dates he mean are 15th and 16th (I just know.)

Last edited:

Yeah, BUT although he edited them (and as some say ''ruined'' ) he released Blu-Ray editions last year. MJ fans have no BR nor edited, nor unedited.
(and there were HDTV broadcasts before BR release anyway)

StellaJackson;3647934 said:
Proof that Bad Tour Wembley exists on film in good quality, better than VHS: http://icolorist.com/grading-michael-jackson/

"The concert was shot on a mixture of 35mm and 16mm film, it seemed at times they were shooting film for fun! The crew filmed 2 nights out of the 5 Wembley stadium gigs

The single “Another part of me” was cut from some of my early telecine work. The music video was cut from footage shot in London and Paris, that shows you how tight Jackson’s performance was. As far as I know the complete concert and documentary has never been released. A disappointing waste as the film managed to capture Jackson at his peak"

They should release that film footage. It is sad to think that they might not have them. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back