Bad Tour DVD [CLOSED] Cont. discussion in The Estate Of Michael Jackson Re Wembley DVD Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bad Tour DVD (Disscussion Thread)

WHO'S BAD?!?!? ?@ballinandy24
@warreneagles i was wondering what Michael Jackson concerts were 35 mm on film? Thanks

Warren Eagles ?@warreneagles
@ballinandy24 35mm and 16mm Film

@ballinandy24 They were all edited to 1" videotape which was the SD broadcast standard in 1988

@warreneagles @ballinandy24 The VHS on the YouTube trailer was ripped from a dub copy, there will be good quality masters

Can someone explain what he said?

I wonder what he mean by "there will be good quality masters"

@warreneagles @ballinandy24 The VHS on the YouTube trailer was ripped from a dub copy, there will be good quality masters
I hope he is right

Hmmmm....The masters are out there then from this night? is it confirmed?

It's too vague to understand IMO. From his article we knew that it was recorded on film - hence masters. But it doesn't mean that the masters are still available and/or in the possession of Estate. Just because there were high quality masters in 1988 doesn't mean they are still available in 2012.

I do wonder what he means with "there will be good quality masters." This seems to imply that the masters still exist at present or even that the good quality masters will be used for release. Confusing.

I do wonder what he means with "there will be good quality masters." This seems to imply that the masters still exist at present or even that the good quality masters will be used for release. Confusing.

Not confusing. That the masters were lost or destroyed seems not logical. As if they would destroy the masters of the Thriller album back then. By the way, they used the another part of me master for the vision DVD. That was 2010.

It is a rumour started by a fan.

I think he is just assuming that there should exist good quality masters (without knowing for sure if that's the case). In my opinion, we also should assume that these masters exist (unless the opposite is proven) and should push the Estate to get them (if they don't possess them already) and to make a blu-ray release out of them.

I'll just give real life examples to show that it's not always that easy to get stuff

Did Michael draw some art? - Yes he did
Does the originals still exist? - Yes they do
Do we know where they are ? - In a airport hangar in LA owned by Brett Livingstone-Strong
Does the Estate have them? - No
Can the Estate get them right away? - No, they have to file a lawsuit and go through it for months-years to get them.

I'll just give real life examples to show that it's not always that easy to get stuff

Do we know where they are ? - In a airport hangar in LA owned by Brett Livingstone-Strong
Can the Estate get them right away? - No, they have to file a lawsuit and go through it for months-years to get them.

That doesn't make any sense to me. It should be different. Life is sometimes weird and incomprehensible.

That has nothing to do with his music and video recordings. Not the same.

The estate doesn't release his art, they don't need to.

It may be difficult (or easy, we just don't know), but should be give up because of that? We are just trying to let the Estate know, that we care about a BluRay release. Why should we assume that nothing can be done? We are just saying to the Estate: "Do what you can to get this released". Maybe the Estate already knows and is working hard to make this happen (but we just don't know if they do. At the moment we just know that they "unearthed a VHS copy" of one of the concerts).

Last edited:

It won't be sourced from a VHS in my opinion. I think the estate are using the the 'sourced from Michael's very own VHS' as a sort of romance and magic between fans, Michael and the tour. It's sort of backfired.

It's 2012 now, expectations of quality surrounding video is so high. I work in video production and literally nothing is shot in SD anymore, people just won't watch poor quality images and sub-standard sound. I'm 99% sure the video and sound will be sourced from the masters and will look great on DVD, and even Blu-Ray if they go that far, which they should.

Just my opinion anyway. But if it is sourced from VHS, it's a mistake. It definitely won't be from a standard VHS though as they can only hold 60 minutes, so possibly S-VHS or something of that nature.

^I love your optimism and hope you're right :)

Why are you constantly defending Sony and the Estate no matter what issue?

It won't be sourced from a VHS in my opinion. I think the estate are using the the 'sourced from Michael's very own VHS' as a sort of romance and magic between fans, Michael and the tour. It's sort of backfired.

This is exactly what I think too.
I believe the sourced from MJ's PERSONAL VHS copy and that the footage was ONLY RECENTLY unearthed and is the ONLY known COPY is just marketing in order to create more excitements.

I hope I am not wrong :D

I believe the sourced from MJ's PERSONAL VHS copy and that the footage was ONLY RECENTLY unearthed and is the ONLY known COPY is just marketing in order to create more excitements.

Yes, that makes sense. I had the same thought. Cause it would be really too ridiculous if that all was true. It's probably a market trick.

I hope Estate says something about this quality issue soon. They need to explain why they are not using the film footage for the dvd.

Indeed! It was the same thing with Indiana Jones. For a long time I had been waiting for a DVD release. I couldn't understand his stubborness not to release them in HQ. Especially Star Wars!

Finally, Star Wars have been released on blu-ray, yay! I still haven't bought them as I am looking for the 6BD box set.

Also for those who know how much MJ was demanding it's a shame we have to worry about the video quality. I of course have faith in SONY's technology, they did invent the blu-ray, but I am sad to know that we might face the loss of the HQ films of the biggest entertainer that has walked on the surface of the Earth.

I am also afraid that with low quality video release non-fans or potential new fans would just overlook it without bothering to buy it or if they buy it, not being able to see the "true magic" MJ was referring to in his letter.

We should not count only on the Estate, but on ourselves as well. We should act united and track down where those films could be and who has them. And yes, just like Michael himself, we shouldn't be satisfied as long as it's not perfect and spare ourselves from patronizing remarks for being demanding.

It is true MJ is not here, but the releases can be done without him. It is up to us to watch over those releases to be up to MJ's standards.

p.s. I hope I won't need to call Chuck Norris.

Chuck Norris is our only hope :D

Wow, I'm having a huge deja vu!
But I hope you're right though :)

If that's true, they would not release those awful quality trailers! It's not market trick.

If that's true, they would not release those awful quality trailers! It's not market trick.

Check what MJJUnderground stated. For me that's enough to believe it will be better than teaser. Not amazing maybe but it will be better.

Then the latter of three you mentioned!

Definition of PESSIMISM:
an inclination to emphasize adverse aspects, conditions, and possibilities or to expect the worst possible outcome

So a person who is full of pessimism is not negative?

Thought I'd come and correct myself - VHS can be longer than 60 minutes.. there are many different types of VHS and can have Standard Play and Long play.. more than enough to hold a concert. BUT.. doesn't take away from my point that there is no point in sourcing from a VHS.

I'm sticking by my guns and will say 99% sure that it will come from an original source. Not a VHS copy. This is MJ we are talking about, there are masters everywhere, for his music and his videos. Why release something on DVD from a VHS.. it just doesn't make sense to me.

Then the latter of three you mentioned!

Definition of PESSIMISM:
an inclination to emphasize adverse aspects, conditions, and possibilities or to expect the worst possible outcome

So a person who is full of pessimism is not negative?

Lol why does it matter to you anyway? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back