BAD25 | Charts & Sales History

Sony's initial estimation was way overly optimistic it seems and created high, unrealistic expectations. I don't think we should be all that surprised, this is for the fans, the package is too expensive for the general public. I would say making the top 10 is pretty decent.

Dunno if their projection was unrealistic, but I am sure they took into consideration that the album re-charted after MJ passed, only 3 years ago. Unless Sony has the worst forecasters on its payroll...I would have preferred a top 5... But I guess top 10 is good too.

Looking forward to Spike Lee's documentary which I am sure will boost sale for the holidays.

Last edited:
Just went to a music/chart forum and it seems the initial final chart HITS posted did not include Bad25 (guess that's why memefan did not see it at first). Seems they updated it quickly though to include it. It makes me wonder if they had some difficulties counting the sales for this release?

We just have to wait for the official numbers tomorrow.

I would think probably they didn't include it as it was a previously released album but then added it when the fans were asking about it.

But nooooo, Bad 25 has to sell more than Bob Dylon! I don't get it either :(

I would think probably they didn't include it as it was a previously released album but then added it when the fans were asking about it.

Not at all. HDD counts EVERYTHING....they even made fun of Billboard in 2009 when MJ's albums were top sellers but Billboard would exclude them because of that ridiculous rule. HDD either forgot MJ or they didn't have the numbers when they twitted the final chart this afternoon. Seeing at how quickly they corrected the mistake after we tweeted them, I am leaning towards the 1st explanation.

Also, HDD don't include QVC numbers until the following week, it might be the same for Myplay.com . So I am feeling a bit iffy about HDD, best we wait for BB tomorrow

Is it serious? Fans have to call them so that they won't forget MJ off the charts? And if fans had not called them MJ would not have been on next week's Billboard at all? And if this works like that then why isn't there someone at Sony/Estate to monitor the charts and make that call if needed? Why fans have to do the job?

Is it serious? Fans have to call them so that they won't forget MJ off the charts? And if fans had not called them MJ would not have been on next week's Billboard at all? And if this works like that then why isn't there someone at Sony/Estate to monitor the charts and make that call if needed? Why fans have to do the job?

HDD is not an official chart. I would think that they would only follow and report Billboard charts. (as they did with IJCSLY single)

Not at all. HDD counts EVERYTHING....they even made fun of Billboard in 2009 when MJ's albums were top sellers but Billboard would exclude them because of that ridiculous rule. HDD either forgot MJ or they didn't have the numbers when they twitted the final chart this afternoon. Seeing at how quickly they corrected the mistake after we tweeted them, I am leaning towards the 1st explanation.

Also, HDD don't include QVC numbers until the following week, it might be the same for Myplay.com . So I am feeling a bit iffy about HDD, best we wait for BB tomorrow

really? This link tweeted (http://prince.org/msg/7/92696?pr) however says that they only get partial sales data and then approximate the numbers. Such as get info from 25% of the sources and then multiply it by 4 to come to the sales number.

- Ive looked and dont see anything like that mentioned about Billboard. Im confused can you please explain your post - Thanks

Let's clarify something

HDD (Hits Daily Double) and Billboard charts are two totally different things.
Billboard is seen as the official and a lot more prestigious chart because they get the actual sales data from almost all of the stores.
HDD does a pretty good job as well but it might differ from Billboard.

Today HDD first said the final list for the week done - and it didn't have MJ on the list. Shortly after fans tweeted "where's MJ" they modified the list and put MJ on Number 10 for the week. No one knows why they added MJ later on. Whether they forgot / it was a mistake, whether they got the sales number late, whether they did not include previously released albums but later changed their minds. No one knows.

We'll get the Billboard list either Wednesday or Thursday morning.

Thank you Ivy . I was the one who tweeted HDD becuase I thought it very strange BAD25 wasnt included on the list

I just get this feeling the charts just dont want too include mj at all anymore

Why say that he is on all the official charts :)

I dunno its just a feeling i have i feel like the ppl in charge of he charts just dont want michael to be in it or something

Sorry if i seem to be rambling i just have this feeling

It's interesting that the number projected by HDD is at about the same rage as Bad25's Japanes sales. And it's Nr 10 in both countries. Strange that Japan kind of "catches up" to the US in record sales.

HDD is not an official chart. I would think that they would only follow and report Billboard charts. (as they did with IJCSLY single)

really? This link tweeted (http://prince.org/msg/7/92696?pr) however says that they only get partial sales data and then approximate the numbers. Such as get info from 25% of the sources and then multiply it by 4 to come to the sales number.

By everything I meant they don't exclude re-releases or catalogs. They include every album sold to make up their top 50 regardless of when it was first released.

But nooooo, Bad 25 has to sell more than Bob Dylon! I don't get it either :(

I'm sorry, but was this post a joke? Bob Dylan damn well deserves to be selling millions every time. The man is a legend.

MJ.com sales are not included in HDD or BB, unless Sony takes it upon itself to inform each & every country's charts how many bought the CD from their home country.

I doubt Sony will bother with this ...but they might surprise me. I wish I had known this...I would have purchased my sets from Amazon, not Myplay.

From IFOP via MJDatabank

France BAD 25 # 5. DVD #1

I'm sorry, but was this post a joke? Bob Dylan damn well deserves to be selling millions every time. The man is a legend.

are we supposed to pretend the man can sing? He's not f my generation I couldn't care less but I KNOW he can't sing to save his life.

Songwriting is another issue. If Gen X & Y barely know the guy, No way will AD-prone future generations remember Bob Dylan. Watch once all baby boomers die...

Last edited:
Japan Hot 100 Singles:

6 [31] - Bad

"Bad" [remix featuring Pitbull + main version] made the Top 10!!! :busted::chillin:

I just checked on UKMIX that ~1% of the total UK sales for Bad25 are box-sets, which means less than 100 copies! :eek:

So now we're sure that MJJ.com and MyPlayDirect didn't report sales to OCC, and the same will probably happen about Billboard.

That's why sales are low! :bugeyed

MJ.com sales are not included in HDD or BB, unless Sony takes it upon itself to inform each & every country's charts how many bought the CD from their home country.

I doubt Sony will bother with this ...but they might surprise me. I wish I has known this...I would have purchased my sets from Amazon, not Myplay.

From IFOP via MJDatabank

France BAD 25 # 5. DVD #1

are we supposed to pretend the man can sing? He's not f my generation I couldn't care less but I KNOW he can't sing to save his life.

Songwriting is another issue. If Gen X & Y barely know the guy, No way will AD-prone future generations remember Bob Dylan. Watch once all baby boomers die...

Honestly, you're speaking rubbish. You seemingly don't know enough about Dylan to make such a comment, but hey, it's a free world I guess. I'm no baby boomer and Dylan is one of my all time favourite artists.

I just checked on UKMIX that ~1% of the total UK sales for Bad25 are box-sets, which means less than 100 copies! :eek:

So now we're sure that MJJ.com and MyPlayDirect didn't report sales to OCC, and the same will probably happen about Billboard.

100 is very low...Sony/Estate needs to come clean on whether or not they reported the sale.

of coursed they pushed their own store from the beginning because they get a bigger margin from those sales, not having to share it with Amazon or Walmart etc. but this shouldn't be at MJ's statistical expense.

Honestly, you're speaking rubbish. You seemingly don't know enough about Dylan to make such a comment, but hey, it's a free world I guess. I'm no baby boomer and Dylan is one of my all time favourite artists.

Ok this will be my last comment on Dylan:

might seem rubbish to you, but facts are facts.

And the highlighted section basically SUPPORTS what you deemed RUBBISH.

Last edited:

That percentage seems strange if HMV have sold out of deluxe box sets.....does this refer to the deluxe cases only perhaps? (are they available from anywhere except MJJ.com and elsewhere online?)

100 is very low...Sony/Estate needs to come clean on whether or not they reported the sale.

of coursed they pushed their own store from the beginning because they get a bigger margin from those sales, not having to share it with Amazon or Walmart etc. but this shouldn't be at MJ's statistical expense.

Ok this will be my last comment on Dylan:

might seem rubbish to you, but facts are facts.

And the highlighted section basically SUPPORTS what you deemed RUBBISH.

The world is a lot bigger than you. Look, no offence to you, I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, I just don't like it when people dismiss artists without knowing anything about them. People do it to MJ all the time. There are a lot of people who acknowledge, respect and admire the artists of the past. I'm 27, and I realise what a brilliant artist Bob Dylan was, so trust me, he will not be forgotten. And while not a conventional singer, he was very unique and I do enjoy his singing from the 60's and 70's quite a lot. And trust me, I'm not alone in that. Anyway, that's my last comment on that. Don't want to derail the thread.

Back