Behind the Mask - Official Discussion Thread

wow :O i had no idea this was a cover song, but Mike's blows the original away. my fav on the new cd by miles.

what a f*cking great song.......this is the best most complete song on the album......HT is a close second though!! lol.

Gawd, he sings this song with such aggression, but fun joyful voice...I love way he sings..'all along i knew you were a PHONEY girl....'....He MEANS that...lol....So sexy too!

I just went over to YT to compare the tracks from Phillinganes and Clapton, and as I suspected there is absolutely no comparison. I know I'm biased, but Michael's version blows both of them out of the water by miles and miles! LOL

Michael's vocals are powerful- just unbelievable, and the beat and rhythmn are amazing. I felt the same with Come Together. I compared it to the Beatles and no comparison, Michael's way way better.

I just love how Michael could take a song and make it over the top. What an absolute genius, of course we all know that. LOL

I just went over to YT to compare the tracks from Phillinganes and Clapton, and as I suspected there is absolutely no comparison. I know I'm biased, but Michael's version blows both of them out of the water by miles and miles! LOL

Michael's vocals are powerful- just unbelievable, and the beat and rhythmn are amazing. I felt the same with Come Together. I compared it to the Beatles and no comparison, Michael's way way better.

I just love how Michael could take a song and make it over the top. What an absolute genius, of course we all know that. LOL

I did the same thing. I went to youtube to listen to the versions by Eric Clapton, Greg Phillinganes and Ryuichi Sakamoto. NO COMPARISON!!!

Michael's version is the best. Call me biased. But, Michael made Behind The Mask his own. He added energy and sexiness to the song.

I did the same thing. I went to youtube to listen to the versions by Eric Clapton, Greg Phillinganes and Ryuichi Sakamoto. NO COMPARISON!!!

Michael's version is the best. Call me biased. But, Michael made Behind The Mask his own. He added energy and sexiness to the song.

Hahahaha...I did the same thing! Actually, I deliberately listened to Clapton's version first before Mike's back to back because I knew MIke's would blow it out of the water....And, of course, no surprise! :punk:

He added both lyrics and melody. This is the original:

Phillinganes's and Clapton's version is a cover of Michael's version.

these are the original lyrics:

Now the mask you're wearing
Is stoney and staring
Lines and tears
Age and fears
Growing old
Passions cold
Is it me
Is it you
Behind this mask, I ask
Is it me
Is it you
Who wears another face
There's nothing in your eyes
That marks where you cried
All is blank
All is blind
Dead inside
The inner mind
Is it me
Is it you
Behind this mask, I ask
Is it me
Is it you
Who wears another face

PURE GENIUS= Commentary for today's greedy, rich worldwide bankers taking the money from poor taxpayers.

Dangerous Incorporated;3144903 said:
'Behind The Mask' {Lyrics} - Michael Jackson

All along I had to talk about it
Like a two-edged sword, he touched you and it stabbed, uh

All along I knew you were a phony girl (hee hee)
Sit behind the mask and you control your world

Sit around and I watch your face
I try to find the truth, but that's your hiding place, uh

You say you love me but it's hard to see, uh
'Cause when he's in your arms, you're throwing rocks at me

Who do you love? (Heehe Hehe)
Is it me? (Heehe Hehe)
With you?, uh
I don't know
I want (Heehe Hehe)
If he can have it
You know me (Hoo)​

(There is nothing in your eyes) There is nothing in your eyes
(But that’s the way you cry) But that’s the way you cry, girl (cry, girl)

(Always been on his side) Always been on his side)
(You're just studying my mind) (ay ay ay aaay)

I walk around, I'm suffering in my doom
When I come to you, sitting in your room

You sit around in the strangest place (Hee Hee Hee)
So take off the mask, so I can see your face

Is it me? (Heehe Hehe)
With you?
I dont know
Who do you love, babe? (Heehe Hehe)
I wantcha (Heehe Hehe)
If he cant have it
I know you (Hoo)

(Heaven must be weary) Heaven must be weary
(You've got me scared) You got me scared, girl
(Insincere, in your tears) Yeap he is, here with you
(Where's your soul? Where'd it go?)You got me scared, girl

(Heaven must be weary) Heaven must be weary
(You've got me scared) You know what you did
(Insincere in your tears) Yeap with you, na na na
(Where's your, where's your soul?) (Hay hay haaay)

{Saxophone Solo}

(Heehe Hehe) [How ya doin!]
(Heehe Hehe)

[How ya doin!]​

(Heehe Hehe) [Hee Hee]
(Heehe Hehe)(He He) [Hee Hee]​

[Aow]​

I walk around, I'm suffering in my doom
When I come to you, sitting in your room​

You sit around in the strangest place (Hee Hee Hee)
So take off the mask, so I can see your face​

Is it me? (HeeHe Hee)
With you?
I don't know
Who do you love, babe? (Heehe Hehe)
I wantcha (Heehe Hehe)
If he cant have it
I know you​

Is it me? (HeeHe Hee)
With you?
I dont know
I want it (Heehe Hehe)
If ya can't have it
I know you​

I don't wanna talk about it (let's talk about it) (Heehe Hehe)
I don't wanna talk about it (let's talk about it) (Heehe Hehe)​

I don't wanna talk about it (let's talk about it)

"Behind the Mask" is so deep that it is almost scary.
Don't you feel it in the music, in the lyrics?:ph34r:

I LOVE THIS SONG SOOOOOO MUCH!!!
best on the album without a doubt! Michaels voice is so strong and i love the sax in it (i tihnk its a sax) lol ive always wanted to hear a really prominent sax sound in a MJ song coz i love it! the whole song is just perfection i cbf hearing the original im sold on this one :D!!!!

He added both lyrics and melody. This is the original:

Phillinganes's and Clapton's version is a cover of Michael's version.

are we sure about this.
Because some are saying that Chris Mosdell wrote most of the song and MJ just some of it.
i just wanna know :p

Last edited:
This song was my favorite instantly, but it still is a grower. Meaning I keep on loving it more and more!! My husband thinks I may grow tired of ot as I play it so much, but I think it might end up in my MJ top 5 ever. Although I do have to admit my MJ top 5 changes weekly...

This song was my favorite instantly, but it still is a grower. Meaning I keep on loving it more and more!! My husband thinks I may grow tired of ot as I play it so much, but I think it might end up in my MJ top 5 ever. Although I do have to admit my MJ top 5 changes weekly...

I know the feeling! :D

Looking at different MJ forums most fans are calling Behind The Mask the best song on the album. This must must must be a single.

Anyone who says that this shouldn't be a single needs to get they're ass kicked.

From "FOR THE RECORD":

BEHIND THE MASK

Song written by Chris Mosdell and Ryuichi Sakamoto, with additional lyrics by Michael.
Original instrumental version, with choral backing, recorded by the Yellow Magic Orchestra, for their 1979 album, SOLID STATE SURVIVOR. Quincy Jones heard Yellow Magic Orchestra’s version during the Thriller sessions, and brought it to Michael’s attention.
‘I didn’t know who Michael Jackson was – I wasn’t into that whole soul disco stuff,’ confessed Chris Mosdell. ‘When Michael Jackson recorded it, he also added an extra melody line and a few extra lyrics, so they wanted to split the royalties – which is quite impossible. You can’t take a Beatles song and add a melody line, a few more lyrics, and ask for fifty percent.’
Legal battles meant Michael’s version didn’t make his THRILLER album.

Michael’s keyboardist, Greg Phillinganes, did record a version for his album, PULSE, issued in 1985. Released as a single, it achieved no.77 on the R&B singles chart in the States, but failed to make the Hot 100 and wasn’t a hit in the UK.

Phillinganes first met Michael and his brothers during the sessions for the Jacksons’ DESTINY album in 1978, and went on to serve as musical director for Michael’s Bad World Tour.

Phillinganes, who also played with his band, brought the song to Eric Clapton’s attention. Clapton’s cover version, on which Phillinganes played keyboards and sang backing vocals, hit no.15 in the UK in 1987.
This version, curiously, failed to credit Michael as one of the song’s cowriters – but Chris Mosdell has confirmed Michael does takes 50% of the song-writing royalties.

Last edited:
Looking at different MJ forums most fans are calling Behind The Mask the best song on the album. This must must must be a single.

Anyone who says that this shouldn't be a single needs to get they're ass kicked.

But does it really have a chance? I don"t know. According to insiders singles are between hollywood tonight, monster and another day! Ans that there only will be 3 to 4 singles.

How does a company like sony pick singles? How does that work?

Do they know we want it as a single? That many think it's the best song.

And how well does it on I-tunes? When the album was released, monster, hollywood tonight and another day were high, but behind the mask?

Noewi;3156331 said:
From "FOR THE RECORD":

Phillinganes, who also played with his band, brought the song to Eric Clapton’s attention. Clapton’s cover version, on which Phillinganes played keyboards and sang backing vocals, hit no.15 in the UK in 1987.

This version, curiously, failed to credit Michael as one of the song’s cowriters – but Chris Mosdell has confirmed Michael does takes 50% of the song-writing royalties.

Maybe MJ was not in the credits for the same reason he's not in Do The Bartman's credits???? :scratch:

what do you guys think ?
has michael ever heard this music of the song or has Mr McClain produce it after his dead
I'm really curious

whoever did the final makeover for the Michael album of this song.
he ruined it for good with adding this repetitive "eee-eh hee hee" sample
that was obvisouly not a part of Michaels original song.
its out of key. damn deaf fools... was that john "producer" mcclain?
just as amateurish as the the live concert crowd was added.

would love to hear Michaels original version. its a great song.

Back