Behind the Mask - Official Discussion Thread

Very cool song. Best one on the album by far imo, according to the polls here and at other forums too. Best of Joy and Hollywood Tonight are the next favourites for me, and in the polls too. I guess I agree with the majority. How boring. :p

BTM is one I tend to listen to on repeat. :)

It reminds me a bit of that song from the 60's recorded by the Turtles, written by Garry Bonner and Alan Gordon, called Happy Together. Both have the main verse sections in a minor key, giving an edgy feel, and then a liberating, major key for the chorus section (or whatever). Works great. :yes:

MJ's vocals are perfect here, portraying the lyrics in a bitter and disillusioned way.

This would make a great single; there are some updated sounds in there, freshening it up a bit. I'd give it a shot, if it were up to me. Second choice would be Hollywood Tonight. Not a fan of Monster at all, not that it's a terrible song.

Edit- Just read up a bit on Happy Together, and the song actually beat the Beatles' Penny Lane on the charts! Another argument in favor of BTM as second single. :)

Last edited:
I must admit that the song did not imediatly grab me especially after hearing about everyone's original reactions but it grew on me and I absolutly love it. It's just awesome and would be a great single.

I was wondering if anyone can hear this sound also:
I just LOVE this particular sound ( best hearable with headphones)
It goes like:

toink titatoinktoink toing toing toing toingtikitoingtong

from 0.44 minutes till 0.58 minutes( here the sound transforms)
also in the saxsolo

LOVE IT!!
BTW: Is it Michael who makes this sound?
I hope someone knows what i mean

^for a second i thought you were talking about the beatboxing....you're talking about the voice that is mimicking the guitar.....it sounds like mike, so i'm going to guess that is him.

But does it really have a chance as a single? I don't know. According to insiders singles are between hollywood tonight, monster and another day! And that there only will be 3 to 4 singles.

How does a company like sony pick singles? How does that work?

Do they know we want it as a single? That many think it's the best song.

And how well does it on I-tunes? When the album was released, monster, hollywood tonight and another day were high, but behind the mask?

I don't think the song is that great. Maybe if it was mixed differently...Like the sax part is annoying! I don't feel it fits in at all so I just skip it. This song makes my head hurt. Sorry...I don't understand why so many like it.

This song should have launched the new album. It's just fab, and is probably the best 'new' MJ song since HIStory was released.

His voice is just superb and the production is fantastic. I too had reservations at first over the sax and a guita solo may have worked better but I'm growing to love it.

The use of the Bucharest concert is a stroke of genius, especially the 'How yo doin'?' & 'hee hee' parts!

Just love it. The last 3 tracks on the album are fantastic. I never thought I would be as thrilled with the album as I am.

I dig the saxaphone and the live crowd. I have never been bothered by it,because I knew it intertwined to the song well. :punk:
You can hear...feel the emotion from Michael so strong in this song. It just makes me want to get up and dance...to move. I 'feel' while listening to the song what Michael might have been doing while recording this..what his hands might have been doing..how his feet most likely moved...how his head bobbed. That's what Michael's voice does..it penetrates through and grabs you. My favourite upbeat track on the album.

:wub:
souldreamer7

I did a more thorough analysis of the chords, and here's what I've got:

Intro & Verse : F Db Eb Cm

Chorus : Dbmaj7 Abmaj7

I guess I was hearing the contrast between the last chord of the verse (Cm) against the major 7th chords of the chorus. The chorus sure gives a cool, soaring or floating effect.

I love that song so much.

In fact, I think the album should have been called "Behind The Mask" instead of "Michael." It's just more creative.

^ Given the horrible connotations some have of Michael, "Behind the mask" would be a great title. Kind of like, this is the guy, what you thought you knew was a lie. But..it could have also just ended up with the conspiracy theorists..

I was wondering if anyone can hear this sound also:
I just LOVE this particular sound ( best hearable with headphones)
It goes like:

toink titatoinktoink toing toing toing toingtikitoingtong

from 0.44 minutes till 0.58 minutes( here the sound transforms)
also in the saxsolo

LOVE IT!!
BTW: Is it Michael who makes this sound?
I hope someone knows what i mean

I hope it is Michael , that part just brings the song to a new level, totally groovy and AH! I just LOVE this song. Took me so long to love it, but it is really one of the best on the album. Should have been released on Thriller!!!

Love the electronic beepy sounds throughout the track, and the slight echo in his voice.

BTM is a very powerful MJ song and one with the most potential, I have played it for friends who are not even MJ fans and they LOVED the song- the most out of all the other songs on the album! When they release singles they release different mixes and one without or reduced BG crowd noise will surely be a hit.
A classic Michael Jackson tune, catchy, heavy bass mixed with an energetic, pumped up Michael Jackson singing his heart out with spot on vocals.

I've just found a BTM mix of Philinganes instrumental and MJ vocal...if anyone wants the link.

I just heard a version of what is said to be an early version of behind the mask. Sound is a bit weird and I'm wondering if it's authentic.

Anyone else heard this version too?

I just heard a version of what is said to be an early version of behind the mask. Sound is a bit weird and I'm wondering if it's authentic.

Anyone else heard this version too?

It's a fanmade mix with Mike's acapella on top of Greg's instrumental.

Midnight©;3163906 said:
What does it say in the final screaming?

MJ: 'I don't wanna talk about it'
Shanice: 'Let's talk about it'

...then a final howl from Shanice!

...then a final howl from Shanice!

Thanks, I'm talking about the Shanice scream, seems to say "I love you Michaellllllll", it is just me hearing that? :)

Midnight©;3163917 said:
Thanks, I'm talking about the Shanice scream, seems to say "I love you Michaellllllll", it is just me hearing that? :)

I'm pretty sure it's just a pro-longed ....iiiiiit transforming into a scream.

Back