Beliefs/Morals/Values vs SEX

There is no doubt that our culture is highly sexualized. Sex has been packaged and repackaged time and time again but the most startling part of it all is the sexualization of children. Sex is being marketed towards youth, getting younger and younger, which I believe has also contributed to a break down in the human connection.

I'm a libertine in mind, to be thoroughly honest. I don't see any point or reason for marriage to exist except maybe as a legal consolidation of property under a common name. Other than that, marriage is absolutely useless.

I am of the opinion that one should exercise proper analytical skills when selecting a partner (both in heterosexual and homosexual relationships). One should always use protection and know that the person in question is free of diseases. This is basic self-preservation in order to minimize or completely avoid any negative experiences which may occur after the action is performed.

I understand that, for some people, sex and morality are
two things which are connected on a very deep level, whether due to their religious teachings or parental teachings. Having come from a family of Christians who generally believe in morality in regards to sex, I can understand how such a viewpoint becomes popular. However, this isn't the case for me. I don't view sex as any more immoral an act than crossing the street. Both are permissible so long as caution is exercised, but neither is 100% safe.

So, act at your own discretion, I say.

I'm a libertine in mind, to be thoroughly honest. I don't see any point or reason for marriage to exist except maybe as a legal consolidation of property under a common name. Other than that, marriage is absolutely useless.

I am of the opinion that one should exercise proper analytical skills when selecting a partner (both in heterosexual and homosexual relationships). One should always use protection and know that the person in question is free of diseases. This is basic self-preservation in order to minimize or completely avoid any negative experiences which may occur after the action is performed.

I understand that, for some people, sex and morality are
two things which are connected on a very deep level, whether due to their religious teachings or parental teachings. Having come from a family of Christians who generally believe in morality in regards to sex, I can understand how such a viewpoint becomes popular. However, this isn't the case for me. I don't view sex as any more immoral an act than crossing the street. Both are permissible so long as caution is exercised, but neither is 100% safe.

So, act at your own discretion, I say.

I do respect your opinion but I whole heartedly disagree.

Sex isn't a handshake or the crossing of a street. Sex is or should be a much more spiritual and personal act. It should take thought and be treated with care. Sex is a very powerful thing and can either make or break you. Some try to be robotic about sex (acting with no emotion) but believe me when I say it has ramifications. Whether anyone realizes it or not, hearts can lie, hearts can connect, and hearts can break. You can't always be cool and shut off your feelings. The heart wants what it wants regardless of what our brains are telling us. That's why we have both. To think and to feel.

As for marriage, millions of people around the world hold their marriages near and dear to their heart. Marriage is something that has been performed since the dawn of mankind. It's the sealing of two hearts as one. Marriage is from God himself (if you're a believer). Marriage is something that peoples of all kinds have fought for. It's something that should be cherished and treated with respect. It takes time, love, and care to work. Only the ones who are strong in love, heart, and mind make it work.

It's that very train of thought that marriage is irrelevant which is part of what this topic is all about. The breakdown of sex, love, and human emotion. Where has the intimacy gone? I'm not saying marriage is for everyone or should be. I don't care if anyone wants to get married or not. That's not what I mean. I'm talking about a common breakdown of connection. The devaluing of the most basic human emotions.

I didn't used to want to get married. I was actually against it, but then I met my husband and my life changed. I started wanting things that my heart never had before (or maybe it did and I didn't know any better). Love is a crazy and beautiful thing. It's not always easy and you do have to work to maintain it but it's so worth it.

The "wam, bam, thank you mam" mentality only works for so long. Eventually, you'll be left feeling alone and empty.

Love is where it's at.

Why do you think MJ was so magical? L.O.V.E.

Last edited:
I do respect your opinion but I whole heartedly disagree.

Sex isn't a handshake or the crossing of a street. Sex is or should be a much more spiritual and personal act. It should take thought and be treated with care. Sex is a very powerful thing and can either make or break you. Some try to be robotic about sex (acting with no emotion) but believe me when I say it has ramifications. Whether anyone realizes it or not, hearts can lie, hearts can connect, and hearts can break. You can't always be cool and shut off your feelings. The heart wants what it wants regardless of what our brains are telling us. That's why we have both. To think and to feel.

As for marriage, millions of people around the world hold their marriages near and dear to their heart. Marriage is something that has been performed since the dawn of mankind. It's the sealing of two hearts as one. Marriage is from God himself (if you're a believer). Marriage is something that peoples of all kinds have fought for. It's something that should be cherished and treated with respect. It takes time, love, and care to work. Only the ones who are strong in love, heart, and mind make it work.

It's that very train of thought that marriage is irrelevant which is part of what this topic is all about. The breakdown of sex, love, and human emotion. Where has the intimacy gone? I'm not saying marriage is for everyone or should be. I don't care if anyone wants to get married or not. That's not what I mean. I'm talking about a common breakdown of connection. The devaluing of the most basic human emotions.

I didn't used to want to get married. I was actually against it, but then I met my husband and my life changed. I started wanting things that my heart never had before (or maybe it did and I didn't know any better). Love is a crazy and beautiful thing. It's not always easy and you do have to work to maintain it but it's so worth it.

The "wam, bam, thank you mam" mentality only works for so long. Eventually, you'll be left feeling alone and empty.

Love is where it's at.

I respect the fact that we both hold drastically different views on the topic at hand. Your views on sex and marriage seem to be dependent upon a belief in a god figure and on more-or-less "traditional" and romantic ideas of marriage. Of course, you are fully entitled to hold whatever opinions you please. My views, however, are not those which are endorsed by our increasingly sexualised media. My problem with it has nothing to do with any sort of morality connected with sex, but with action/consequence aspects of it.

The media does its best to portray casual sexual relationships as something desirable (which they are to some people). It does not, however, do a competent job in informing its viewers on the possible risks and consequences which are attached to the action, such as pregnancy, etc. In fact, they seem to even glamourize pregnancy by having shows like 16 and pregnant, in which the majority of the girls concerned are of middle to high-class background and have little to no visible struggles in their progression to giving birth, and beyond.

I am of the opinion that people should look for information themselves, however, the media holds responsibility in providing such information if it intends to glorify sexual relationships in the manner they presently do.

I will tell you that marriage is, in practice, a very individual-oriented experience. There are people (such as yourself) who wish to marry for love, which is fine. Others, however, see marriage as an opportunity to advance their finances or social status, which is the "traditional" ambitious realist (perhaps even excessively so, but that's up to interpretation) manner of viewing it.

Sex is similar to marriage in that way, at least in my opinion. There are those who seek an emotional connection in addition to a physical one (most commonly women, but some men desire this too), while there are those who are perfectly content with receiving and giving physical gratification (sometimes in exchange for money) without becoming emotionally attached to the partner. If this wasn't true, successful, high-class, self-employed prostitutes would not exist.

The pros and cons go both ways. In my personal opinion, neither viewpoint is either "right" or "wrong". In theory, they (and a myriad of other viewpoints which doubtlessly exist in between) function for the individual who holds them, generally speaking. That's the beauty of different stances and opinions on a topic. None are definitively right or wrong, and they can be successfully applied in accordance with one's own circumstance.

I would also like to clarify my previous post's statement. I compared sex to crossing a street when it comes to morality. In other words, that aspect of the equation is completely irrelevant, as I do not believe that morality needs to be linked to sex. The proper use of one's intellectual faculties, however, is of vital importance.

I think people should refuse to place themselves in risky situations or casual sex with a stranger not because it is "wrong", because it really isn't, the way I see it. It is simply an incredibly stupid course of action to take which can endanger one's own well-being. The preservation of the self is the most important thing, as I said.

I totally agree with you. It's not only my moral beliefs, but I'm a Christian and was brought up being taught that sex is a gift from God, created by God to bind two people together for life. It's like an act of love and an act of worship for God at the same time.
Sure, I've made my mistakes - I have engaged in sexual acts, but never intercourse. Not making that mistake again.
And I'm proud to be a virgin and I'm happily waiting until I'm married to the man I will love for the rest of my life so I can give him that gift.

by the way...for the kids out there, under 10..and for that matter, till at least 13..but mainly for the kids who are single digits in age..since we're talking about how society is trying to sexualize the extremely young(and that is terrible)..i figure there may be single digit aged kids out there.
don't let anybody fool you. this may be a little sex education, since i know kids are going everywhere for info these days, and there is no stopping them from seeing it from all sources. i know there are corrupt adults out there, trying to sexualize our very young. and they're giving kids wrong info, in order to truly hurt them.

know this.
if anybody tells you little kids out there, that oral sex is NOT sex, they're LYING to you. oral sex is an OFFICIAL act of sex. just like intercourse. if you have oral sex, you will have lost your virginity. even if you did NOT have intercourse. you would be surprised at how many people think that oral sex is not sex, even though the word sex is in the term. Bill Clinton, knowingly denied that it was a sex act, when he committed it with a woman other than his wife, but his wife let him know otherwise, the hard way. and so did the nation. He was impeached for it. It WAS an act of cheating on his wife. anybody tries to tell these little kids any different is corrupting the morals of a minor.

Last edited:
by the way...for the kids out there, under 10..and for that matter, till at least 13..but mainly for the kids who are single digits in age..since we're talking about how society is trying to sexualize the extremely young(and that is terrible)..i figure there may be single digit aged kids out there.
don't let anybody fool you. this may be a little sex education, since i know kids are going everywhere for info these days, and there is no stopping them from seeing it from all sources. i know there are corrupt adults out there, trying to sexualize our very young. and they're giving kids wrong info, in order to truly hurt them.

know this.
if anybody tells you little kids out there, that oral sex is NOT sex, they're LYING to you. oral sex is an OFFICIAL act of sex. just like intercourse. if you have oral sex, you will have lost your virginity. even if you did NOT have intercourse. you would be surprised at how many people think that oral sex is not sex, even though the word sex is in the term. Bill Clinton, knowingly denied that it was a sex act, when he committed it with a woman other than his wife, but his wife let him know otherwise, the hard way. and so did the nation. He was impeached for it. It WAS an act of cheating on his wife. anybody tries to tell these little kids any different is corrupting the morals of a minor.

Your message is strong and good, and children should certainly take heed, but I must make a correction- Bill Clinton was never impeached for his sexual rendezvous in the White House. He served full terms as President despite the controversy.

know this.

Agreed. I have engaged in those acts and was left extremely confused after I did so. The guy ended up hurting me terribly, was abusing me and was seeing other girls as well. I'm glad I didn't totally give myself to him, as I would have ended up getting hurt even worse. I was willing to give that much of myself to him and I made that mistake. ORAL SEX IS SEX, no matter what ANYONE says.

know this.

Oral sex is sex= agreed.

I applaud your message on grounds of somewhat informing the general public who may be confused as to whether to consider this sex or not. It IS sex, and it has its risks, just as any other form of sex.

Bill Clinton was not impeached, however. Some Republicans wanted impeachment, on grounds of lying to the nation in general in his official statement. Cheating on your wife does not get you impeached, as it has nothing to do with politics. Lying to the nation in an official statement, however, gets a lot of people angry at you for understandable reasons, such as, "If Clinton is lying about something as meaningless as this, who is to say that he isn't lying about stuff that is of national importance?"

I don't care about morality one shred, however, I do care about posting the right information for those who read to reach their own conclusions. I am more interested in clarifying that sex has its consequences, as everything in life does, and if someone is careless about it or not prepared for it, things can (and most likely will) become troublesome.

I won't lie and tell you that I don't have a problem with people who tell kids that if they do it some guy in the sky is going to barbeque them when they die, because I really do. If that is a personal belief, that's one's perogative and if it works it works. However, I think scare tactics like that are thoroughly ineffective (and I am not accusing anyone here of doing that, I am just generally speaking). I think information is vital above all else. If someone finds they need Xtian morals, etc. then by all means do whatever works.

However, those are just beliefs in the end and serve no purpose beyond that. What serves a real purpose to the population at large is information, such as the fact that even while using protection, there is still risk of pregnancy and STD's. Children and young adolescents are not biologically prepared to have those kind of relations, so they should be told so. The consequences are physical, emotional (if you happen to believe in the sanctity of virginity, etc.), and can last an entire lifetime.

The media fails to properly inform the public and sends mixed messages to its audience, something which is (the way I see it) unacceptable.

I've seen too many kids being misinformed about this issue, from both sides. You either have religious scare tactics or media mixed/misinformation about what it means to have those sorts of relations.

I say a neutral, age-appropriate, informative approach is the way to go about things, but that's only MY personal opinion. Others will do as they see fit, just as I do.

OMG I remember everyone teasing me in middle and high school because I hadnt had sex yet. It was nuts. Everyone was seriously having sex at that point and drinking too. I was taught that sex got you pregnant and it scared the hell out of me. I had my first drink in college. I rarely drink nowadays.

This world is a hot mess. Babies having babies. I dont get it.

Like MJ says, "If you cant feed the baby then dont have the baby, and dont think maybe if you cant feed the baby!!!" Soooooooooo true!

Back