Best of Joy - Original Version

I almost agree but Imo Neff-U dropped the ball really hard with his TWYLM remix, that's about the only thing that's stopping him from being amongst one of the best producers to have worked for the Estate.
I wouldn't say he dropped the ball. I love the lushness of it and the ending. And overall prefer it.

But changing the drums absolutely was the wrong move. And literally sampling the phone call of MJ dictating the drum pattern just to... Not do that. Is so egregious as to be almost hilarious tbh. Like you had one job. It doesn't ruin it but it just feels so much less affecting.

I wouldn't say he dropped the ball. I love the lushness of it and the ending. And overall prefer it.

But changing the drums absolutely was the wrong move. And literally sampling the phone call of MJ dictating the drum pattern just to... Not do that. Is so egregious as to be almost hilarious tbh. Like you had one job. It doesn't ruin it but it just feels so much less affecting.
I always found that so strange. MJ clearly saying what drums he wanted then it just not happening in the actual track lol. I do enjoy that remix for what it is as well though.

Yeah I can't stand the piano on that track lol. Besides, the outro of the demo is a lot better than the outro on the remix. That's why I dislike Neff-U's remix. Anything else he did was incredible though.

Yeah I can't stand the piano on that track lol. Besides, the outro of the demo is a lot better than the outro on the remix. That's why I dislike Neff-U's remix. Anything else he did was incredible though.
Those are all the reasons I prefer the new version lol. There's just no accounting for taste.

I will admit the biggest reason I dislike the original is because of how awful the compression was on TUC.

Last edited:
For years i've always thought about the perfect HT mix, getting the best parts of each one of the remixes, which in my opinion would be:
-the instrumental of the Album version (drums mainly)
-Bass from OG Ver/Neff-U Mix
-Vocals from Neff-U Mix
-Bridge from Throwback Mix
-Guitars from Neff-U Mix (if possible)

That kind of combination would turn out something like this; https://we.tl/t-8mUX6K8qIx
I didn't make the whole song cuz i am lazy and only did it till the bridge, however, i would enjoy a more "professional" version of this way more than any of the official mixes by themselves.
Oh yeah, this also has the "She's only fifteen" line too
Try this one... :) It is my 4th attempt on this song, trying combine the best parts and elements from all versions I know :) Note that I love 5:00 part...

It’s absolutely phenomenal. His vocals are absolutely stunning — partial strength at age 50, and he could still out-sing artists half his age.

I’m hoping another 2006-09 era song leaks soon. I’m dying to hear more late-in-life vocals and songwriting.
To be fair, Best of Joy is mostly sung in falsetto. It seems his high belting range was mostly gone by the end of his life, but that's common for male artists nearing 50. I have heard a story that when Steve Perry reunited with Journey in the 90s, and they were playing old Journey songs while rehearsing, they had to do them in lower keys. Perry's 94-95 solo tour, the last time he performed live other than some one-off performances of a few songs almost a decade ago, is done in Eb tuning instead of E tuning.

To be fair, Best of Joy is mostly sung in falsetto. It seems his high belting range was mostly gone by the end of his life, but that's common for male artists nearing 50. I have heard a story that when Steve Perry reunited with Journey in the 90s, and they were playing old Journey songs while rehearsing, they had to do them in lower keys. Perry's 94-95 solo tour, the last time he performed live other than some one-off performances of a few songs almost a decade ago, is done in Eb tuning instead of E tuning.
Even so, the tone of his voice was still in remarkable shape. “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’ 2008” is a better comparison—it’s a few steps lower and his voice isn’t exactly the same, but it’s astonishing how close it is given the 25 year difference.

So far from Michael's final years, we have heard Best of Joy & Hold My Hand. Michael sounds incredible in both of those songs, but I would like to hear a more uptempo song from those final years. I want to see how Michael sounds singing a fast song in his final years.

P.S. I know that WBSS is an uptempo song, but Michael only re-recorded a small portion of the song for Thriller 25.

To be fair, “Best of Joy” is mostly sung in “Falsetto.” It seems his high “belting” range was mostly gone by the end of his life.
I very strongly disagree with your view. Are you saying that Michael sang “Best of Joy” in “Falsetto” at nearly 51 years old, but didn’t use it on the ORIGINAL close to 30-years-earlier version (entitled as, “The Toy,” after the movie of the same name), that he first recorded while still in his Early-20’s? That’s just plain ridiculous, what you’re saying, here.

First, of all, it is already well-known, understood and considered as a given, that he occasionally sang in “Falsetto” at different times throughout his long career, every once in a while, on some songs, just not on every song he ever recorded in the studio and at each time he ever performed LIVE onstage. The song, “Don’t Stop’Til You Get Enough” (from the “Off the Wall” album, released when Michael was 21), used quite a lot of very high “Falsetto” vocals, according to sources claiming he sung it that way. His own voice-teacher (Seth Riggs) said, point-blank, however, that he was quite capable of hitting and singing very high notes (such as “ ‘A♭aboveHigh-C,’ ” for instance) without the need to even use “Falsetto,” in his 1990’s “HIStory”-album training sessions, when he was almost 40 (around the
14:24 to 14:27 mark in the Video, when we hear Seth Riggs actually saying this, what he said directly to Michael about him hitting that high note).
Think of this, @Kanye East: His career was at least some 40 to 45 years long (most of that length of time, much of the general public eventually having known and been somewhat familiar with who he and his brothers/siblings were and are, on a national and worldwide scale). He occasionally used this technique as a means of conveying the meaning of the lyrics —— expressing certain emotions and feelings through and with his voice —— on whichever songs he used it, no matter the stage he was (were it physically, chronologically, or otherwise) in his life. This wasn’t mainly because of any such “deterioration” of his voice and vocal cords, but the fact that he was in rehearsal at his more “mature adult” age, and he hadn’t performed onstage in any LIVE shows in over a decade, at that point.

The “This Is It” shows in London were to have been his very last ones ever, and he didn’t want to waste and use up his energy trying to put on a full-blown LIVE concert while still in rehearsal —— thus, him having wanted to “save” his voice —— and so, he wanted to be completely prepared for when time came for the REAL “moment of truth,” when he was expected to give his all and do his best. I feel that it’s extremely unreasonable for anyone to have expected him to perform in rehearsal as if he were in an actual show, in front of a paying audience who came to see him. It makes NO kind of sense at all. Why not him having saved his energy for THE “moment” when it would have counted? What is YOUR honest personal opinion, on this? I’d really like to know.

Last edited:
Korgnex when please u will release third verse from best of joy i loved the snippet i repeat it lot please
Given how annoying you've been lately, do you think Korgnex's gonna bow to your demands and upload his video? Be paitent, and you'll eventually get your third verse.

Given how annoying you've been lately, do you think Korgnex's gonna bow to your demands and upload his video? Be paitent, and you'll eventually get your third verse.
I did not talk with you can u go away

This mix ended my belief that the 2008 demo of BoJ is the exact same as The Toy, although the essence of the 2 songs are basically the same this mix sounds too out of place.
Edit: Misread post. Can't seem to find any delete button anymore on this site

It’s subjective I suppose. “The Toy” is pretty mediocre in my opinion, whereas “Best of Joy” is phenomenal. Of course the production is different and the magic had to be on the original track, but Neff-U did wonders with it and turned it into something memorable.
I can no longer listen to just BOJ. I have to play the Toy first to compare.

Agreed. Even when he’s taking a bare bones demo and building a new track around it, like with “This Is It” and “Love Never Felt So Good,” it still holds true to the MJ style and tonality. I was so excited when it came out that he was leading the charge on new music before LN dropped.
Paul Anka's This is It also sounds pretty classy.

Back