Black History Book Suggestions

Have you read...

The Boy who Harnessed the Wind : Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba and Bryan Mealer (c2009)

Makes Me Wanna Holler by Nathan McCall (c1994)

Eye On the Struggle : Ethel Payne, the first lady of the Black Press by James McGrath Morris. (c2015)

Last edited:
I read some of "Willie O'Ree: Hockey's Black Pioneer" book. He was the very first Negro to ever play the NHL with the Boston Bruins in which he's known as the "Jackie Robinson" of hockey, he's battled with racial prejudice on and off ice by fans, which O'Ree stated that he recieved racial remarks and didn't bother him.

O'Ree is mostly blind on his right eye and played 2 games with the Bruins in 1958 and played again in 1960-61 with 43 games which is last season in the NHL, playing most of his hockey career in the minor league hockey.

Willie O'Ree's book is a good read learning about his history when plays hockey. Cuba Gooding Jr. wrote his foward in O'Ree's book.

Bit controversial, Morgan freeman said to do away with black history month

I don't know if you like biographies or autobiographies, but one of the very best I've ever read (and I've read it a couple of times now) is Berry Gordy's "To Be Loved." It's not just the story of his life, but you really get insight of the culture, the times that Berry was born in (as was Michael's father) and how those times created his vision of creating Motown. It's the story of the crossover dream and breaking barriers and really why people dreamed that-all entwined with the civil rights struggles as well as entertainment world struggles.

I just found it enormously interesting not only because Berry had a really interesting life and it's a great reflection of black history in America starting with the Depression. So much of it made me think of Joseph too-that you can see how Michael was a reflection of these enormously powerful and proud men. Quincy was born at the same time too-so his book is pretty good as well-not as good as Berry's though.

Back