Hot topic Brad Sundberg Seminars: Making Music With Michael Jackson

He Was Just Michael….

michael-jackson-recording-bad-25.jpg

“What was he really like?”
“Did he know you by name?”
“What was it like to be at Neverland?”
“Why would someone have an amusement park in the back yard?”

It’s already been more than 30 years since I first met Michael Jackson. I have been asked every type of question. I have had people react in disbelief and amazement. I have been put down. I have heard incredibly hurtful comments – for a laugh. But I have also seen warmth and compassion. I have met people that made me sad through their sadness at the loss, and others who were filled with joy to a point of contagiousness. In describing Michael Jackson, someone once said, “It’s so hard to describe him to people, because he isn’t like anyone else.”

I first met Michael in late 1984, working on the music for Captain EO. For the next 18 years there were countless weeks when I spent more time with him than I did my own wife, and months when I never saw him. Albums, tours, short films, special projects – I was there if he or the team needed me. And I swear this is true – I don’t remember a single day, a single project – that I didn’t love going to work.

Being around Michael I was blessed to see many things, meet many people, and experience things that might be considered special by some. Vocal sessions. Late nights of mixing. Rolling out plans for new areas of Neverland. Building a giant outdoor theater in his backyard and cranking up my Pearl Jam CD for us both to listen to. I don’t live in the past, but I can see it all like it happened this morning. I wish it did.

When you work so closely with Michael, sometimes it not the “big” things you notice, it’s the little things. Of course it is amazing when Princess Stephanie of Monaco comes to the studio, but is it any less amazing to go down the super-slide at Neverland with Michael after he sprays some crazy spray on your burlap sack so you almost break your legs due to the high speed jumps? Just writing those words fills my head with his laughter. Yep, miss that. A lot.

You might think that the studio was about work, and the ranch was about play. But it wasn’t that simple. They were both about pushing the limits, not being satisfied with “almost”. They were both work, they were both fun – but even the work was a labor of love. You wanted to hear that laugh; you wanted to see that smile.

I don’t remember the first time I saw Peter Pan in the window at ranch. There were statues everywhere, and Disney memorabilia and items from all over the world. Truthfully, I was never a huge Peter Pan fan. I liked the ride at Disneyland, but the whole Peter Pan “persona” wasn’t really my thing. But I knew Michael loved Peter Pan.

It’s hard to put exactly what I am trying to say into words, but let me try. There were times when Michael Jackson – the global superstar – wasn’t that obvious to me. He was just Michael – boss, client and friend. I worked for him, I worked with him, and I enjoyed his company. But every now and then I was reminded who he was. One of those times was at the ranch, when I saw Peter Pan in the window.

I don’t know what it was, or why it struck me like it did. Michael could afford a fleet of Rolls Royces, several mansions, etc. He had Disney dioramas inside the theater, Disney topiaries, even a steam train of the same vintage and scale as Disneyland. But that Peter Pan in the window was different.

There were several Peter Pans at Neverland. They could be found in the main house, in the train station, in the video library, etc. I don’t really remember Michael and I really talking about Peter Pan, except maybe the ride at Disneyland we both enjoyed. But the Peter Pan in the window always seemed special to me, like it was watching over the back yard – keeping an eye on things.

11082657_413123565528210_1527050783581766605_n.jpg

Truthfully I had almost forgotten about window Peter Pan until I saw this photo a few weeks back. Suddenly it was like I was standing in the spot, just outside that window, looking at Peter looking at me. I can hear the music, I can hear the train whistle… I can hear Michael’s laughter.

So what was he like? There is no simple answer, nor should there be. I can’t describe what the Grand Canyon is like in a simple answer. I can’t describe what music is like in a simple answer. Or a bold Cotes du Rhone. Or love. Or Peter Pan. I just know I love them all – each for a different reason.

I’ll make you an offer. I’ll do my best to to give you a day you won’t soon forget, if you’ll join me for a day in the studio. I’ll take you through the recording and songwriting processes. I’ll take you behind the scenes into Captain EO, Bad, Dangerous and HIStory. I’ll bring you on a surround-sound tour of Neverland – an amazing place that I had the privilege of helping create with some incredibly talented people. I will do all I can to introduce you to a friend of mine. His name is Michael Jackson, and he is like no one you have ever met.

We’ll be at the Seattle Drum School in just 11 days, followed by Toronto in May, Germany in June and Spain in July.

Hear things you have never heard.
See things you have never seen.
Learn things you never knew.

Tickets: www.inthestudiowithmj.com

Will You Be There?

Source: http://vallieegirl67.com/
https://www.facebook.com/inthestudiowithmj/posts/413140378859862

Latest from Brad:
-------------------------------------------
Greetings everyone, and Happy Wednesday!

I have had very little time for posts and updates lately, and I am sorry, but let me make a couple quick announcements and rambling thoughts, then I need to get to my day.

1) Tickets for "The Lab" seminar in Toronto on May 23rd are now on sale on the website. "The Lab" will be an extended seminar - very similar to our normal presentation - but with a chance for me to try some new segments and get immediate feedback. I am including the new "Neverland" segment in the standard ticket price. Everyone is a VIP in the Lab! Nine full hours in the studio - bring a cushion and a sandwich.
http://inthestudiowithmj.com/events/

2) Tickets to our large four-day event in Germany (June 25th - 28th) featuring Brad Buxer and Michael Prince are also selling steadily. Dieter's team is kicking into high-gear to promote the event all through Germany. Currently we are in contact with RTL TV, Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger, EXPRESS Köln, BILD Köln, WDR Köln Radio and WDR Köln TV. This is a very exciting event and capacity is limited n the studio, so please don't wait too long to buy your tickets.

3) I am very excited to announce that the following weekend (July 4th and 5th) we will be in Madrid, Spain at Estudio3 http://www.estudio3plato.es/sonido/. What a cool place this is! I have been working with my Spanish Team to work out the details, and we hope to launch ticket sales this weekend. Brad Buxer and Michael Prince will not be part of this event, rather it will be "In The Studio With MJ" seminars both days. We are looking at some options for Friday night also, but I can only juggle so many balls at once, so give me a few days to figure that one out.

4) Chicago (Gary, Indiana) will be bubbling to the surface here very soon, with an event on Sunday, Aug 30. There are events in Gary on the day of Michael's birthday (Aug 29), so we will respect those and offer our seminar the next day in the windy city. I lived in Chicago long ago, but I was pushed around in a stroller so my memory has faded just a bit. Luckily we have visited a few times since then, so I think I'll be OK. I have never been to Gary, so I look forward to visiting his birthplace and meeting people in his hometown. More information will be coming soon.

It's going to be a busy few months, so thank you for your support, enthusiasm and patience. As I keep saying, I am very blessed to share these stories, memories and experiences, but the return of meeting Michael's fans all over the world is rewarding beyond description. The impact he had on music and entertainment (he always used to call it "Show Business") is enormous, but the impact he had on individual people on a very personal level is what I continue to learn about, and be amazed at.

Give me a day and I will do all I can to introduce you to someone I called a client, a boss, a co-worker and a friend. 18 years is a long time to watch someone create, laugh and grow. 18 years of trying new things, searching for new sounds, recording four albums, building a ranch beyond imagination, launching world tours, sweat, laughter, tears, hugs.

Isn't that what friends do for each other?
See you soon, and Keep The Faith!

inthestudiowithmj.com

myosotis;4088405 said:
Latest from Brad:
-------------------------------------------

2) Tickets to our large four-day event in Germany (June 25th - 28th) featuring Brad Buxer and Michael Prince are also selling steadily. Dieter's team is kicking into high-gear to promote the event all through Germany. Currently we are in contact with RTL TV, Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger, EXPRESS Köln, BILD Köln, WDR Köln Radio and WDR Köln TV. This is a very exciting event and capacity is limited n the studio, so please don't wait too long to buy your tickets.

I am not sure if this is a good idea.

RTL TV, EXPRESS Köln, BILD Köln this is pure tabloid press.

Just in case anyone missed this suggestion on Brad's FB page:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In The Studio With Michael Jackson

A Chance To Say Thanks To A Living Legend

Greetings Everyone!

I have some news to share with you, and I want to read this post very carefully as I have an idea that needs your participation.

My dear friend Bruce Swedien fell last week and broke his hip, requiring major surgery. I visited him in the hospital yesterday and he is doing very good and on the road to recovery. He is in very good hands, but he will have a painful recovery ahead. To be clear: He looked and sounded great, and is in good spirits.

He and I swapped many stories and laughs about Michael, Quincy and the countless projects we worked on, and it was great being able to spend time with him and Bea.

I was driving home and thinking about the impact that he has had on so many people, based on his incredible ability to make music sound amazing. From the Chi-Lites to Quincy Jones to Barbra Streisand to Michael Jackson, Bruce Swedien helped forge their sound. From the drum sounds on "Billie Jean" to the Andre Crouch Choir on "Man In The Mirror" - no makes music sound better than Bruce Swedien.

Take a look at his partial discography - http://www.allmusic.com/…/bruce-swedien-mn0000639655/credits

So I came up with this crazy idea, and I hope you will consider being a part of it. (And please - if you are in direct contact with Bruce - try not to say anything about this as I want it to be a surprise).

I want to give you a chance to write Bruce a thank you note. I want to give you a chance to share a memory about a favorite song he worked on, or how a song had an impact on your life. Maybe draw a picture or take a photo or write a poem - it's up to you. If you want to write it in your native language - that is fine!! I think that would make the book even more interesting.

It can be as long or as short as you like. This is not about me, it is not about my seminars - this is about Bruce, and his amazing gift of recording, mixing and producing music. I want to present him with a book of notes, letters, poems, photos and drawings from you.

Now - listen carefully please. I think it would be really cool if they were hand-written and scanned, instead of a stack of printed emails. I want them to reflect your personality, your love of music, your country, your traditions, and your love and respect for Bruce.

I opened a gmail account this morning to receive your notes. They will come to me and I will print and deliver them next week.

Does that make sense? This is a small way that you can say "Thank You" to a pioneer in the music world, a living legend and a good friend.

Please send your notes, drawings and photos (preferably as PDF or jpg attachments) to:

notesforbruceswedien@gmail.com

PLEASE mention where you are from and a something about yourself if you like.

Please try to send them by Tuesday, June 9th. I will then print them up and deliver them to Bruce and Bea next week.

Please do not send them to my facebook page or my "In The Studio" account.

Send them to: notesforbruceswedien@gmail.com

Please feel free to share this post on your page, on fan pages, groups, etc.

I know your notes will be respectful and fun, and I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Thanks in advance for working on this project with me, and keep Bruce and Bea in your prayers. They are an amazing couple, and his talent has touched countless music lovers around the globe.

Have a great week - and Keep The Faith!

Brad Sundberg

Re: Brad Sundberg seminars: Making Music With Michael Jackson

What a great idea. And this is why the tributes to Michael are always so touching. The hand made cards, letters, art work come straight from the heart.
Bruce would really love this, I think.

I was thinking about some stuff this evening. I was thinking about Michael's birthday, his life in Gary, his early years. I didn't meet Michael until he was in his mid-late 20's, living in LA. It seems so young just to write that sentence. I was in my early 20's, just over five years younger than him. He had see so much and been through so much by the time I started working with him.The funny thing was he rarely talked about the past. He was focused on the now, on the future, on the current project. He rarely discussed "the old days." But sometimes... he did.
I've told this story before, so feel free to skip to the next post if it sounds familiar - but I feel like writing, so here it comes.
One night Bill Bottrell, Michael and I were in the studio - likely at Larrabee North. Bill was strumming his guitar, we had the lava lamp all lit up, and we were just talking. Three friends in a control room - what I would give to go back.
Michael was always remarkably curious. He wanted to know about the schools we went to, where we grew up, the music we listened to, our family life, etc. It was funny having these conversations with him because it was sort of like I knew more about his childhood than he did mine. But in truth, since I wasn't a huge J5 or Jacksons fan, I really didn't know that much. Sure, he was in every Teen Beat-type magazine for years, but I didn't really read those. You might say we had slightly different pasts.
So somehow we got to talking about flying and travel - things I have always loved. To my surprise he said he did not like flying, as it brought back bad memories of his childhood. He went on to tell us a story of when he was very young, flying late at night with his brothers and dad from one city to another between shows. He described the plane as having propellers, and being very noisy.
The plane flew into a storm, and there was lightning and thunder outside of all of the windows. The plane was shaking and bouncing around in the rainy sky, and - he described - he was scared and started to cry.
He didn't say where his dad was sitting on the plane, but he said his dad ignored him and let him cry. Finally a stewardess (that's what they were called back then) came and sat next to him and held him in her arms until the storm passed.
Listening to Michael tell that story in the studio, you could see the fear and tears in his eyes, along with the anger. Maybe that's why he kept so many of those memories to himself.
I've never been to Gary. I've been to Chicago many times, but never Gary. I think it is only fitting to visit his birthplace on his birthday, and hold a seminar to celebrate his creative genius the next day.
The seminars are always a balancing act of focusing on the work, the drive, the techniques - yet it's very personal. He was a brilliant musician and a nervous kid at the same time. He had seen so much, yet his laughter was as innocent as a child.
And this is where it started - in Gary. This was where Michael was a kid, but a kid like no other kid. Concerts and clubs and bars and overnight flights and buses and studios. He has written about it, so there is no need for me to elaborate. Other kids in Gary (or LA) were playing in the neighborhood, while had had to practice or perform. I think it's going be interesting to see his house, to hear his laughter in my mind (I hear that a lot), to maybe see what a little boy saw many years ago.
I'm excited about Chicago, but also slightly uneasy. The studio will be great, my team will be ready, the playlist is solid - it's just different. I remember when Deb (my wife) took me to her hometown in New Jersey. I pictured her riding her bike, catching the bus to school, being a kid. It was fun seeing it through my eyes, but having her with me to describe what those places meant to her. Seeing Michael's hometown without Michael there to describe will be missing a key element, but we'll see how it goes.
Will You Be There?
August 30, 2015
Gary/Chicago
Icon Studios

Tickets available now -
www.inthestudiowithm j.com/events

https://www.facebook.com/inthestudiowithmj/posts/455633471277219

A little look ahead for Brad's 'In the Studio' plans:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 ctd Vegas is solid, but I have not researched studios yet. I am so busy prepping for Chicago/Gary, Orlando and Brazil, I have not spent much time working on Vegas yet. Once I find a venue that I like I will put tickets on sale - hopefully sooner than later.

We are also planning 2016 already, with MJ camps slated for both Germany and Orlando, plus possible stops in Helsinki, London and Seoul. We are working a few more surprises for 2016 - you guys will be the first to know.

If i live in Spain, I could go... :(

So, question: Who will be going to the Chicago Seminar?

Brad Sundberg ?@InStudioWithMJ Aug 14th

Who's going to #Gary for Michael's B'day? I'll be there on the 29th before the #ITSWMJ event on the 30th in Chicago.

CMVH_RmUkAAjguu.jpg

Please come to the UK next :yes:

Not to be missed: Brad ITSWMJ at the 'Thriller Villa': Michael's last home in Las Vegas:

https://www.facebook.com/inthestudiowithmj?fref=ts

http://[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/eyFee7A6p][/URL]

The Studio With MJ - The Vegas Sessions

Welcome To The Thriller Villa
Three amazing days.
Three unique hosts.
Three very different events.
One very special location.

Day One - Friday, Oct 9th
In The Studio With MJ
Brad Sundberg and Michael Prince will team up bring you the Thriller Villa version of the seminar that started it all. Learn about projects like Captain Eo, Bad, Dangerous and HIStory. Additionally you will enjoying hearing Michael Prince discuss working in Vegas at the Thriller Villa and the Studio At The Palms. Michael will share stories about the "This Is It" rehearsals plus many of the tours he worked on with MJ. Sundberg brings humor, music and stories that help explain why Michael Jackson's music resonates with so many people around the globe. A light lunch and snacks will be provided.

Day Two - Saturday, Oct. 10th
Bradx2 + Michael Prince - The Early Years
Brad Buxer joined the MJ camp in 1989, so we will start at the Dangerous album and go through HIStory, Blood On The Dancefloor and Invincible. Michael Prince will join us for added insights. Sundberg will host and moderate. A light lunch and snacks will be provided.

Day 3 - Sunday, Oct. 11th
Bradx2 + Michael Prince - The Later Years
We will pick up at Invincible, then cover many of the unique projects the team undertook: The Beacon HBO show, 9/11, The Elizabeth Taylor Tribute, the MTV Special - these concerts were called "one-offs". Buxer and Prince will describe these events, tell the back-stories, and discuss their time working with Michael in the Thriller Villa.

About "In The Studio With MJ"
Four studio albums. Countless sessions. Video mixes. Dance mixes. Three world tours. A ranch called "Neverland." This was Brad Sundberg's life and career for nearly 18 years, working closely with the King of Pop himself, Michael Jackson. This is your chance to hear of the music, the stories behind the music, and what it was like to be a part of Michael's team. This is a one-of-a-kind music, photo and video-filled seminar.

Brad had the opportunity to work closely in the studio and at Neverland Valley Ranch with Michael Jackson. He was Michael's technical director and one of the engineers on four studio albums including "Bad", "Dangerous", "HIStory", and "Blood On The Dancefloor." (Michael even gave Brad the nickname "Really, Really Brad".) These mammoth projects (including production, tour-prep and countless remixes) took upwards of 16 months each. You will see and hear what it was like to be in the studio with Michael and the team of engineers and producers who created these songs, through a carefully crafted timeline of music, video and behind-the-scenes info. From "Captain Eo" to "Man In The Mirror" to "Smile", Brad was there, and you will hear about the production process.

Additionally, Michael tapped him to help in the early days of designing and building Neverland Valley Ranch, his incredible home. The ranch was filled with rides, music and surprises waiting to be discovered. He commissioned Brad to bring music to virtually ever corner. Michael would even give him specific playlists for certain areas of the ranch, to create just the right environment. Brad is generous with his insights and knowledge, and there will be time for questions.
If you are a fan of Michael's music, or are curious about how those albums were recorded and the staggering amount of tapes, tracks and time invested, you will want to attend "In The Studio With MJ."

Initial plans from Brad for ITSWMJ in 2016
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy BTTF Day! Looking back, looking ahead.

Just under two weeks ago we had an amazing weekend at the Thriller Villa in Las Vegas. I met guests from Australia, Russia, Canada, Europe and all over the country. Brad Buxer, Michael Prince and I all had an amazing weekend, and I want to give them, my amazing team and all of our guests a huge "Thank You!" It was a very memorable weekend, and Vegas proved to be a very welcoming city.

We have had many discussions about the future events for "In The Studio With MJ", and our plans for 2016. It's only October, but the new year is just around the corner, so planning is underway.

The seminar will be undergoing some significant changes and improvements for 2016, and I think you will be very pleased with the results. We hope to be bringing some of our guests with us to certain locations - some you are familiar with, others who will be new to the ITSWMJ family.

We will be starting the new year by returning to Paris (essentially where ITSWMJ was born), followed by a weekend of seminars in Helsinki, Finland - both in January. In Helsinki we will be offering one day with a Russian translator for our Russian friends.

In the spring will are planning our first trip to Brazil. We had hoped to come to Brazil next month, but my work schedule (yes, I have a day-job!) made that nearly impossible. The Brazilian Team has been very understanding and flexible, which is much appreciated. We very much look forward to bringing ITSWMJ to South American next year!

In June we are working on our first 'MJU" (Michael Jackson University) in LA, followed in August by a similar event in Cologne, Germany. These will feature guests and topics covering a variety of projects. Michael was a busy guy, so we have a lot of material to draw from. Think of an intensive four-day experience filled with music, laughter, friends, movies, education and school cafeteria-food. OK, maybe we'll work on the food, but the rest of the curriculum is pretty solid

I am grateful for your continued interest in the events we are putting together for our guests and friends around the world. My team and I continue to search out new venues, guests and topics to share and hopefully offer experiences unlike anything else available. MJU will raise the bar - even for us.

One other idea we are working on is a pop-up evening of music and stories. Not quite a seminar - just a place for MJ fans to gather in a music studio and dive into some mixes. Make some new friends and hear things they have never heard before - not a bad way to spend an evening. Boston - get ready. Soon.

Maybe we don't have flying cars just yet, but the future is looking pretty bright. Happy BTTF Day!

Brad

In the Studio With Michael Jackson (on FB)

Sounds interesting. I couldn't make the Vegas one but maybe I can do LA next year.

I leave for LA from Van on Wednesday to hang with Reibish. Haha. Janet Jackson will be doing her Hollywood Bowl show in June of next year too, so it looks like I'll be going to LA next Summer.

I leave for LA from Van on Wednesday to hang with Reibish. Haha. Janet Jackson will be doing her Hollywood Bowl show in June of next year too, so it looks like I'll be going to LA next Summer.
Be sure to go look and take pix of Michael's elementary school. She lives down the street!! :)

Be sure to go look and take pix of Michael's elementary school. She lives down the street!! :)

So I'm told. She has a whole thwack of MJ things for me to do. WestLake, the Dangerous Eyes graffiti, gonna go up to NL. We're going to San Fran too. If I make it back from Alcatraz, I'll let you know how my trip went ;)

Latest from Brad:

Who's afraid of a little cold weather?

Boston (with Brad Buxer and Michael Prince): December 5, 2015

Helsinki: January 16 & 17, 2016

Stockholm: January 18, 2016

Paris (special Music First Weekend): January 23 & 24, 2016

Brussels: January 25, 2016

Tickets go on sale today

Bring your favorite winter coat.

In The Studio With Michael Jackson

Last edited:

I don't remember ever being so hesitant to write a post. I have thought about it, prayed about it, started it, deleted it many times these past 48 hours. But I want to talk with you, just for a minute.
The first time I visited Paris was in 1997. I was building a studio for Rod Temperton in Cannes - in the south of France - and we tagged on a few extra days at the end of the trip to explore Paris.
By pure coincidence Michael was in town for the HIStory tour in late June. I reached out to his office and let them know I was in town. Michael arranged for my family to visit Disneyland Paris(!) and come to both of his concerts at Parc des Princes. We spent a bit of time with Brad Buxer and the band, and on the second night my daughter Amanda ("Granny") went on stage during the finale - Heal The World. (You can see her at the end of the clip in the pink top and white bow in her hair).
Perhaps many of you have been to Paris, perhaps many have not. It truly is a beautiful city with a personality all its own. The history, the architecture, the welcoming cafes and the beautiful people are relentless in pulling you in.
We returned in 2005 and 2008 for various projects and our love for the city and it's people only increased.
In June of 2012 we returned to Paris to launch what would eventually become "In The Studio With MJ". It was a very small gathering and a bit emotional as we dug through my box of tapes. It was an amazing weekend of music, memories and new friends. Once again I was in Paris, and Michael was the reason.
Since then we have had more seminars and events in Paris - among many other amazing places - but Paris will always hold a special place for me, particularly in relation to Michael.
On Friday night, November 13, 2015, Paris was attacked. Many lives were lost, much blood was shed, and my heart hurt. (Nigeria and Kenya were also victims of this wave of insanity, among many others.)
I have heard from all of my friends in Paris, and thankfully they are OK - for lack of a better word.
This seminar "journey" goes much deeper than I would have first imagined. Friendships form, bonds are built, trust is extended and returned. What was first a room full of unknown faces soon became people I genuinely cared about and loved. The seminars became reunions, meeting places, a gathering of friends from all over the world.
I was talking to Deb (my wife) today, and saying how Michael was an idealist. He truly believed that every child could be fed, and sickness could be cured, and the world could live in peace. He would write song after song about people loving each other - being brothers - regardless of color or nationality. And he believed in those concepts and wanted them to be true.
Heal the world
Make it a better place
For you and for me
And the entire human race
There are people dying
If you care enough
For the living
Make a better place
For you and for me
I have said many times in my seminars and to my friends that "Heal The World' is far from my favorite song. We worked on it perhaps longer than any other song I remember. It was finessed and massaged to a point of microscopic detail. Bruce mixed it and remixed it and remixed it - countless times. The phrase "you and for me, you and for me, you and for me" would pound in my head relentlessly.
You and for me.
You and for me.
After Michael died, I started listening to the song again. Through my travels I learned how much the world loves that song. Children's choirs sing it. It is considered a Christmas song in Germany. It gets played on radio stations around the world. Many critics love the song, along with countless MJ fans. I kept listening to it.
Create a world with
No fear
Together we'll cry
Happy tears
See the nations turn
Their swords
Into plowshares
As I hear the words now, I think back to the night that I was with my friends in Paris, with tears in my eyes, explaining the process of recording it in 2012.
And the world we once believed in
Will shine again in grace
I think back to that night in 1997 when Amanda was on stage with Michael - during "Heal The World".
I think back to being in the studio as Michael sang it, with his scribbled lyrics in a red sharpie on a yellow legal pad in 1991.
I think back to last Friday night when innocent people enjoying dinner, shopping, watching a soccer game or at a concert were killed or injured - robbed of this gift of life.
Create a world with
No fear
Together we'll cry
Happy tears
See the nations turn
Their swords
Into plowshares
Michael was a dreamer, an idealist. He wanted the world to be a better place.
This morning I was checking Facebook and one of my friends in Paris posted several photos of a big dinner party at his home from Saturday night - Nov 14. There were children laughing in the photos, and adults enjoying each other's company. There were smiles, food and love. I got that lump in my throat that happens when emotions sort of bump into each other. Life goes on, evil will not win. (Micah 4:3)
Heal the world we live in
Save it for our children
Save it for our children
Save it for our children
My prayers and deepest sympathies to out to those who are grieving and wounded - physically and emotionally.
We will be coming back to Paris in January, along with Helsinki, Stockholm and Brussels. I look forward to hugging my friends and meeting new ones. Maybe there will be some happy tears, and maybe that's OK.
Blessings and Keep The Faith -
Brad

https://www.facebook.com/inthestudiowithmj/posts/497622667078299

There's another seminar coming up in Boston on December 5th.

See inthestudiowithmj.com for more info.

It's with Brad Buxer, Michael Prince together with Brad Sundberg, of course. And Joe Vogel will be there as well as another MJ scholar Marie Plasse.

Latest from Brad:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was thinking about the Boston event in two weeks - and it looks like it will be in the high 30's when we are there. That may as well be 40 below zero to this Orlando boy.

Michael Jackson was always cold. Freezing. It could be 85 in LA and he would show up in thick corduroy pants, long sleeves and a parka. Seriously. He used to wear this giant black coat around the studio during the Dangerous album - remind me and I'll show you a picture sometime.

Studios, by their nature, are always warm from all of the gear, but they have air conditioners blowing all the time to keep the gear cool. A constant battle. So to help Michael out I sent out for a few quartz heaters. Do you remember those? I think they were popular in the 80's because they would "heat the furniture, not the air", or some such slogan. Anyway, I got a few for him, and he would carry them around from room to room at the studio so one was always close. We liked them because they were silent, so he could have it on during vocal recordings. Everyone wins!

In less than two weeks Brad Buxer, Michael Prince and I (Brad Sundberg) will be at the Sound Museum in Boston presenting "In The Studio With MJ" - Boston.

Joe Vogel will also be joining us, so it promises to be a fun day. I have a feeling this will be one of the more eclectic venues we have ever brought one of my seminars to. http://www.soundmuseum.net/

Three guys with roughly 55 combined years with the King of Pop, in one place, sharing stories, music, songwriting and recording styles for our guests. And the crazy thing is - we are all good friends. For real.

I joined the MJ team during Captain EO and worked on countless recordings sessions, remixes, music videos (short films) and many personal projects for Michael at Neverland Valley Ranch.

Brad Buxer joined us during the Dangerous album, and become Michael's Musical Director on world tours and numerous songs and special events. Brad and Michael were incredibly close, particularly when Brad essentially lived at Neverland for an extended period of intensive songwriting.

Michael Prince first met Michael during rehearsals for "One Night Only" - the HBO special that was scheduled but never happened at the Beacon Theater, in 1995. Michael Prince stayed with Michael Jackson through the end - including the final "This Is It" rehearsal in June of 2009.

Our guests will learn about how we recorded projects and what Michael was like in the studio. It's not a college lecture, it's not a formal class; it's three friends talking, laughing and sharing memories about working with someone who only comes along once in a lifetime.

If you are in the Boston area the weekend of December 5th, I highly encourage you to spend a day with us - In The Studio.
If you know someone who loves Michael's music and is curious about the "behind the scenes" methods and stories, this would be an amazing gift for them to receive.

There will be music. There will be laughter. There will be memories. And there will be heaters.
Come out of the cold and join us "In The Studio With MJ" in Boston.
Tickets are still available

www.inthestudiowithmj.com/

I still hold on to hope that the slow intro of TWYMMF the Grammy's 1988 performance will be released by Brand Sundberg someday.

Latest from Brad, with a 'black Friday' offer for Boston Tickets:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy Thanksgiving to my friends all over the globe! Thanksgiving in our home includes an amazing meal, a house filled with family and friends working on puzzles, sharing stories and enjoying each other's company. I have much to be thankful for, but faith, family and friends top my list. I have been very fortunate to meet many new friends these past 3+ years of bringing my seminars to so many groups and studios around the world. To those of you who have attended, a sincere Thank-You. I hope to see many of you again in 2016.

Speaking of 2016, tickets on now on sale for Helsinki, Stockholm, Paris and Brussels. My friends in Paris and Brussels have had rough couple weeks, so please keep them in your prayers. We'll kick the journey off in mid-January, and yes - the studios are heated. It's always warm in the studio!

Boston - in just nine days Brad Buxer, Michael Prince and I will be bringing music, stories and a lot of fun to the Sound Museum. Bradx2 + Michael Prince is a day unlike any other. The script and schedule pretty much get tossed, and we just get down to business of telling stories from the tours, albums, one-offs and special events.

Curious about the HBO special at Beacon Theater "One Night Only" that never happened? Or songs written at Neverland? Or "This Is It"? How about Stranger In Moscow? Or how the albums were recorded? Yeah, you might like this event.

Tomorrow in the US is something we call Black Friday. "In The Studio With MJ" decided to offer our Boston guests our first Buy-One-Get-One at 50% special.
No getting up early.
No long lines.
No drama.
Just a few clicks to buy a pair of tickets and save.
Why? Blame it on the BOGO.

BOGO tickets go on sale tomorrow. Will You Be There?

www.inthestudiowithmj.com/events

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oct. 1995
Michael Prince joins the MJ family.

My first contact with Michael Jackson was during the production of Captain Eo. Brad Buxer joined the team during the Dangerous album. But Michael Prince chose a slightly more dramatic time and place: October of 1995, at the Beacon.

The studio team (Swedien, DeLena, Buxer, Scheps, Forger, Vibberts, Hoffman and I) had been in New York at the Hit Factory the previous year working on HIStory, and post production/quality control lasted until about April of '95. Michael was married to Lisa Marie, the album was selling, and I went home to LA.

I didn't know Michael Prince (MP) at the time, but he was an established musician/engineer/programmer in LA. He got a call to go to New York to work as a drum tech for a big production at the Beacon Theater for Michael Jackson. Here's the funny thing - to paraphrase MP, he had never worked as a drum tech nor even installed a drum head in his life, but the gig was a bit more technical than it sounds. Ricky Lawson was the drummer for "One Night Only", and Michael wanted to make sure that the drum sounds the audience heard were the same sounds the team had created for his albums.

This is very common in the industry, where an original drum sound which has been previously recorded is "triggered" by the impact of a drum stick hitting a drum. This also takes a bit of pressure off of the sound guy, who might otherwise have a nearly-impossible task of replicating the incredible drum sounds of each song. Let me rephrase that - it would be impossible.

So enter a guy like a Michael Prince who has access to MJ's drum library, and it just becomes a very complex sequence of connect-the-dots, where each drum sound from each song is assigned to the trigger of each drum head in real time, during the performance. You with me? MP is a master of his craft, so he was a great choice.

Now, MP had never met Michael to this point, but like most people on planet earth he had seen the videos, heard the music and was very aware of who Michael Jackson was. He noticed that during the first couple of rehearsals, Michael was not at the Beacon. He figured he might have been working with the dancers in another location.

Brad Buxer was working with the band and the show was coming together. MP mentioned that it was a slightly unusual set-up as the band was very spread apart around and over the stage, to give as much floor-space to Michael for the show. That said, the monitoring system - to say nothing of the musicianship of the band - were tight and sounding great.

When Michael finally made it to a rehearsal, MP said he looked very tired and performed only a couple of songs, with far less energy than expected. He (MP) remarked that it seemed pretty obvious that Michael was not feeling well, and was perhaps coming down with the flu. Still, there was a huge show to put on, so the rehearsals continued.

Michael was under tremendous pressure during that time. The new album was out, a tour was coming, he was newly married - and the previous couple of years had brought their share of unimaginable hardship. This show was very important, yet Michael's body was exhausted. And now he was getting sick.

MP was in the Beacon that night, in a little riser just above the stage, with a direct view of Michael. He seems to remember that Michael was singing "Black Or White", but his voice was very weak during the first verse and chorus. Then it happened.

If you have ever been on a stage, you might have seen that they sometimes have iron grates, which are flush with the floor, out of eyesight of the audience. These grates serve many purposes - they can have have giant fans under them, or lights or smoke machines - even water jets. From the audience they basically look like part of the stage floor, but they allow the production a method to add visual effects to the performance.

As MP was watching Michael sing "Black Or White", Michael raised his hand after a cue or musical transition had been missed. The band stopped, and he raised the microphone to his mouth. MP doesn't remember the exact words, but he noted that Michael spoke in very halting, clear, soft words, like you might when you are sick. He said something to the effect of, "You guys (the band)... need to ...watch me... and stay... with me..."
Then Michael froze for a moment, brought the microphone down to his side, and fell - face first onto the iron grate.

I asked MP if Michael tried to break his fall with his hands, but he said no - he fell full weight onto his face, right in front of everyone. MP said it was unbelievable, as people rushed to help him, called for an ambulance, and watched in disbelief.

The production actually continued for what he estimates was another three days. The band continued rehearsing, the dancers kept working, everyone hoping that Michael would walk back through the stage door. But he didn't.

After about three more days "One Night Only" was officially cancelled, and everyone started packing up to go home. Ricky Lawson and Michael Prince shared a flight back to LA, and Ricky told MP he was the best drum tech he had ever had, which they both found amusing.

One of the biggest shows ever planned was cancelled as Michael Jackson recovered from extreme exhaustion and illness. Quite the first chapter to Michael Prince's tenure with the MJ team.

Yes, he toured with Michael.
Yes, he worked at Neverland.
Yes, he worked at the Thriller Villa.
Yes, he was part of the team for project after project.
Yes, he was at the "This Is It" rehearsals.
Yes, he was one of the last people to talk to Michael that final night.

Yes, he was a trusted friend and an amazing part of the MJ family.
Yes, he will be with us next on December 5th in Boston.

There are plenty of articles, books and blogs about what it might have been like to work with Michael Jackson, but this is the real deal. "In The Studio With MJ" is bringing Brad Buxer and Michael Prince to the Sound Museum in Boston to tell you stories about songwriting, recording, touring and special events.

Good times.
Bad times.
Packed stadiums.
Empty studios.
Laughter.
Tears.
Music.

Three guys - all friends with Michael - all friends with each other.
Special guest Joe Vogel will also be with us.
One very unique day.

Tickets are still available for "In The Studio With MJ" at the Sound Museum in Boston, including our Black Friday Weekend Buy-One-Get-One 50% ticket.
Will You Be There?
www.inthestudiowithmj.com/events

Last edited:

It's very interesting. Waiting for the next.

Back