Hot topic Brad Sundberg Seminars: Making Music With Michael Jackson

Re: Brad Sundberg seminars: Making Music With Michael Jackson

Brad on the ending of Captain EO at Disney:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Captain EO

September 1986 - 29 years, 2 months and 20 days ago.

Tonight I went to EPCOT and saw Captain EO for what will likely be the last time in "Magic Eye Theater". It is slated for closing this weekend, and ironically I'll be in Boston with Brad Buxer and Michael Prince - more on that in a moment.

I don't know how many times I have seen EO, but it was the true beginning of my time - my nearly two decades - of working in and around the Michael Jackson team. I was both excited and a bit sad when we went into the theater tonight, but thanks to sitting with my 12-year-old daughter, I decided to enjoy it like it was the first time seeing it. We even sat in the front row at her urging.

I think I first saw the raw footage of Captain EO in early 1985. Matt Forger was working at Westlake Studios, and I got a job as a runner - a "gopher". I was so young and new to LA, finding my way in the music industry. A very young Michael Jackson would drive himself to the studio and buzz the back door until I let him in.

Looking back at it now it all seems so surreal, yet there he was, in his big white Chevy truck, working on Captain EO.

A few months earlier Michael had been producing an album for his sister Rebe called "Centipede". Matt Forger recorded much of it, and Michael offered his voice for some of the background vocals. As the album was winding down, Michael started talking about a huge project for Disney - a 3D movie - being produced by George Lucas and directed by Francis Ford Coppola. He asked Matt and John Barnes to work on the music, which would need two pop songs. Soon they were in the studio again, working on demos in early 1985.

Matt remembers John came up with about six song grooves, which were quite simply called "Song 1", "Song 2", and so on. This was fairly typically for Michael. Most of the songs were simply ideas, waiting for direction and production. Only two of them started to emerge as leaders - "We Are Here The Change The World" and "Another Part Of Me".

Now - here is where it get's interesting. Matt did the bulk of the recording on those two songs at Westlake, then Michael delivered the music to Disney. Matt moved back to the Havenhurst studio to begin the pre-production of what would eventually become the "Bad" album. Michael split his time between Havenhurst and the EO filming for a couple months. Then the film went into post production for all of the special effects, and Michael focused on the "Bad" album. Special effects - according to Matt - took nearly a year to finish, then Matt returned to Westlake for the final mixes. Did you catch that? Special effects and video post-production for EO took nearly a full year. For a 17-minute movie.

On the weekend of Sept 12, 1986, my wife Debbie and I went to Disneyland and watched the fully-finished movie for the first time. Matt had even been brought down to tune the speaker system in the Magic Eye Theater at Disneyland. It looked, sounded and felt amazing. Disney even gave us T-shirts!

I remember the line stretched all the way down Main Street USA almost to the train station. I think the park was open for two or three continuous days - just to allow everyone to see EO for the first time.

29 years, 2 months and 20 days later I watched the movie again tonight - more than 10,000 days since it first opened. I didn't produce it or write the music, but I am proud to have been a very small part of EO.

As I walked around EPCOT thinking about EO, my mind couldn't decide whether to be happy or sad. I kept walking, and remembering.

A flood of songs and experiences started filling my mind. Hearing him sing "Man In The Mirror" for the first time. Seeing him perform at Madison Square Garden - with me standing just off stage watching his every move. Hearing his laugh at Neverland on the little train. Working on demos like "Jane" and "Family" and "Little Susie". Sharing meals. Holding Bubbles while he sang. Popcorn fights.

29 years, 2 months and 20 days.

I asked Brad Buxer tonight what Michael used to say about EO to him, and Brad reminded me of something very interesting. He said that when Michael loved something that he worked on - like EO - he was quietly proud of it. He didn't talk about it or bring it up in conversation, it was just good. When he didn't like something - like the video for "Blood On The Dancefloor", he would talk about it on and on. And on.

I kept walking.

Songs like "Streetwalker", "Dangerous" and "Someone Put Your Hand Out" kept floating through my head - as did "Moscow". Songs that I love, songs that I am proud of.

Michael and Neverland have been a significant, powerful part of almost all of my adult life. You want to know something funny? I wasn't a Jackson-5 or a Jacksons fan as a kid. I wasn't even a huge Michael fan in my teens - he was a voice on the radio, along with hundreds of other voices. Until 29 years, 2 months and 20 days ago.

As I look back on it, it makes sense that EO can't be at EPCOT forever. 29 years, 2 months and 20 days is a long time for those special effects to look somewhat relevant. Still, it made me happy to hear people cheer when Michael rose up on the elevator in his entrance scene. He wasn't the greatest actor of all time, but he had a very powerful presence. And he was - and is - loved.

When I was young I learned about men who had worked on skyscrapers in New York, or the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, and how they would point to them with their kids and proudly say, "I helped build that." Tonight, as I sat in the front row of Captain EO, I was proud to tell my daughter that I helped build that.

Yeah, maybe I'm a bit sad, but here's the thing:
The songs I worked on are here to stay.
The short films I was a part of are still works of art.
The time I spent with Michael, helping him record songs, build Neverland, dream about bigger projects, or simply being a friend, is irreplaceable. I miss him.

This weekend my friends Brad Buxer and Michael Prince will be joining me for a very special day of music and memories in Boston. "In The Studio With MJ" is coming to the Sound Museum this Saturday, from 11am to 7pm. You will hear, see and learn things you have never heard, seen or knew. I hope you will consider joining us if you are in the Northeast US. For the rest of you - have a blessed week, and do what you can to help Change The World.

Thanks Captain EO. I think you've earned a break after 29 years, 2 months and 20 days.

See you in Boston this weekend.
www.inthestudiowithmj.com/events

Did I miss where he talked about Michael not liking the Blood on the Dancefloor video??

Another great story. I hope he's working on his book while he's doing his tour.
And yes, anybody know this back story on the Blood on the Dance Floor video?

Brad S. is such a special person. I had the luxury of having not only him but Brad Buxer and Michael Prince at the seminar today in Boston. All I can say is WOW.

From Brad: New big event in LA next June - MJ University

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What if...

What if we did something like never before... in a huge studio in LA?

What if we built an event that stretched out over four days - with special guests and one-of-a-kind experiences?

What if we brought in the guys who helped make iconic records like "Off The Wall", "Thriller", "Bad", "Dangerous", HIStory", "Invincible" and "BOTDF"?

What if we had a full day focused only on the tours, and brought in some of the people who traveled and worked on those amazing shows?

What if we offered special evening get-togethers like watching "Moonwalker", "Ghosts" and "EO" in a studio full MJ fans, with a monster sound system?

What if is was a place for learning, laughing, feeling what it was like - from the people who were there?

What if we called it "MJU"?

What if is about to become a reality.

MJU will be offered next June 20th - 23rd, 2016, Hollywood, CA.

Four full days of music, stories, learning, laughing and feeling what is was like working and touring with Michael.

Each day will be different and a new experience. Special guests will share behind-the-scenes memories and stories.

MJU - Summer 2016.

In just 189 days - Class will be in Session.

Tickets go on sale tonight (Edit: Changed to weds 16th Dec US time)

http://inthestudiowithmj.com/

Last edited:

Who's planning to go to this?

I desperately want to, but I'm just wondering if I can justify the expense of travelling from the UK. I have promised myself to go to LA one day though, so I suppose it would make sense to go when this is on...

Who's planning to go to this?

I desperately want to, but I'm just wondering if I can justify the expense of travelling from the UK. I have promised myself to go to LA one day though, so I suppose it would make sense to go when this is on...

I'll be going and meeting up with Reibish again? I adore LA. I was just there for 2 weeks during Halloween and I can't get back soon enough. Brad already agreed to put a payment plan in place (for lack of a better word), so if you can save the money, I think it'll be worth the trip? I was in LA July 1st - 5th 2009, but I haven't been there on the 25th of June yet. Apparently LA goes bananas for MJ tributes during that time, so it should be ... interesting?

Brad on the ending of Captain EO at Disney:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Captain EO

September 1986 - 29 years, 2 months and 20 days ago.

Tonight I went to EPCOT and saw Captain EO for what will likely be the last time in "Magic Eye Theater". It is slated for closing this weekend, and ironically I'll be in Boston with Brad Buxer and Michael Prince - more on that in a moment.

I don't know how many times I have seen EO, but it was the true beginning of my time - my nearly two decades - of working in and around the Michael Jackson team. I was both excited and a bit sad when we went into the theater tonight, but thanks to sitting with my 12-year-old daughter, I decided to enjoy it like it was the first time seeing it. We even sat in the front row at her urging.

I think I first saw the raw footage of Captain EO in early 1985. Matt Forger was working at Westlake Studios, and I got a job as a runner - a "gopher". I was so young and new to LA, finding my way in the music industry. A very young Michael Jackson would drive himself to the studio and buzz the back door until I let him in.

Looking back at it now it all seems so surreal, yet there he was, in his big white Chevy truck, working on Captain EO.

A few months earlier Michael had been producing an album for his sister Rebe called "Centipede". Matt Forger recorded much of it, and Michael offered his voice for some of the background vocals. As the album was winding down, Michael started talking about a huge project for Disney - a 3D movie - being produced by George Lucas and directed by Francis Ford Coppola. He asked Matt and John Barnes to work on the music, which would need two pop songs. Soon they were in the studio again, working on demos in early 1985.

Matt remembers John came up with about six song grooves, which were quite simply called "Song 1", "Song 2", and so on. This was fairly typically for Michael. Most of the songs were simply ideas, waiting for direction and production. Only two of them started to emerge as leaders - "We Are Here The Change The World" and "Another Part Of Me".

Now - here is where it get's interesting. Matt did the bulk of the recording on those two songs at Westlake, then Michael delivered the music to Disney. Matt moved back to the Havenhurst studio to begin the pre-production of what would eventually become the "Bad" album. Michael split his time between Havenhurst and the EO filming for a couple months. Then the film went into post production for all of the special effects, and Michael focused on the "Bad" album. Special effects - according to Matt - took nearly a year to finish, then Matt returned to Westlake for the final mixes. Did you catch that? Special effects and video post-production for EO took nearly a full year. For a 17-minute movie.

On the weekend of Sept 12, 1986, my wife Debbie and I went to Disneyland and watched the fully-finished movie for the first time. Matt had even been brought down to tune the speaker system in the Magic Eye Theater at Disneyland. It looked, sounded and felt amazing. Disney even gave us T-shirts!

I remember the line stretched all the way down Main Street USA almost to the train station. I think the park was open for two or three continuous days - just to allow everyone to see EO for the first time.

29 years, 2 months and 20 days later I watched the movie again tonight - more than 10,000 days since it first opened. I didn't produce it or write the music, but I am proud to have been a very small part of EO.

As I walked around EPCOT thinking about EO, my mind couldn't decide whether to be happy or sad. I kept walking, and remembering.

A flood of songs and experiences started filling my mind. Hearing him sing "Man In The Mirror" for the first time. Seeing him perform at Madison Square Garden - with me standing just off stage watching his every move. Hearing his laugh at Neverland on the little train. Working on demos like "Jane" and "Family" and "Little Susie". Sharing meals. Holding Bubbles while he sang. Popcorn fights.

29 years, 2 months and 20 days.

I asked Brad Buxer tonight what Michael used to say about EO to him, and Brad reminded me of something very interesting. He said that when Michael loved something that he worked on - like EO - he was quietly proud of it. He didn't talk about it or bring it up in conversation, it was just good. When he didn't like something - like the video for "Blood On The Dancefloor", he would talk about it on and on. And on.

I kept walking.

Songs like "Streetwalker", "Dangerous" and "Someone Put Your Hand Out" kept floating through my head - as did "Moscow". Songs that I love, songs that I am proud of.

Michael and Neverland have been a significant, powerful part of almost all of my adult life. You want to know something funny? I wasn't a Jackson-5 or a Jacksons fan as a kid. I wasn't even a huge Michael fan in my teens - he was a voice on the radio, along with hundreds of other voices. Until 29 years, 2 months and 20 days ago.

As I look back on it, it makes sense that EO can't be at EPCOT forever. 29 years, 2 months and 20 days is a long time for those special effects to look somewhat relevant. Still, it made me happy to hear people cheer when Michael rose up on the elevator in his entrance scene. He wasn't the greatest actor of all time, but he had a very powerful presence. And he was - and is - loved.

When I was young I learned about men who had worked on skyscrapers in New York, or the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, and how they would point to them with their kids and proudly say, "I helped build that." Tonight, as I sat in the front row of Captain EO, I was proud to tell my daughter that I helped build that.

Yeah, maybe I'm a bit sad, but here's the thing:
The songs I worked on are here to stay.
The short films I was a part of are still works of art.
The time I spent with Michael, helping him record songs, build Neverland, dream about bigger projects, or simply being a friend, is irreplaceable. I miss him.

This weekend my friends Brad Buxer and Michael Prince will be joining me for a very special day of music and memories in Boston. "In The Studio With MJ" is coming to the Sound Museum this Saturday, from 11am to 7pm. You will hear, see and learn things you have never heard, seen or knew. I hope you will consider joining us if you are in the Northeast US. For the rest of you - have a blessed week, and do what you can to help Change The World.

Thanks Captain EO. I think you've earned a break after 29 years, 2 months and 20 days.

See you in Boston this weekend.

Shed a tear reading this, beautiful.

I'll be going and meeting up with Reibish again? I adore LA. I was just there for 2 weeks during Halloween and I can't get back soon enough. Brad already agreed to put a payment plan in place (for lack of a better word), so if you can save the money, I think it'll be worth the trip? I was in LA July 1st - 5th 2009, but I haven't been there on the 25th of June yet. Apparently LA goes bananas for MJ tributes during that time, so it should be ... interesting?

It's my dream to go, especially for 'MJ Week'.

Where do you stay when you're there? Do you have any recommendations for cheap accomodation?

Also, I don't drive - I've heard it's really difficult to get around there without a car and getting to Neverland would be impossible, I suppose.

If you would be there for his birthday I could drive you around to the places you want to visit, even Neverland.

More detail about the June LA event from Brad:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MJU - Our biggest event yet.

Back in LA: Familiar streets, food, studios and faces.

Special guests and old friends - quite a few in fact.

June 20, 21, 22 and 23 - 2016

Four totally different days, each one bringing Michael's music to life like never before.

Tentative schedule:

Day 1 - In The Studio With MJ - the full seminar. A blend of new stories and segments mixed with some of Brad's favorites.

Day 2 - The Early Years. Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad. Hear from some of the engineers, songwriters and production team that brought these projects to life.

Day 3 - On Tour With Michael. Learn about life on the road from some of the musicians and team members who brought the Bad, Dangerous and HIStory tours to cities all over the planet.

Day 4 - The Later Years. Dangerous. HIStory. Invincible. BOTDF. Again - hear from the musicians and production teams involved.

Tickets go on sale on Wednesday night. 16th Dec 2015

Class is now in Session.

http://inthestudiowithmj.com/

https://ticketbud.com/events/1e09ae8c-a39f-11e5-a8bd-cf820a90fe6f
(30-day deposit scheme for a 4-day pass)

Last edited:

If you would be there for his birthday I could drive you around to the places you want to visit, even Neverland.

Are you going to the seminar too :ph34r: ?

"A flood of songs and experiences started filling my mind. Hearing him sing "Man In The Mirror" for the first time. Seeing him perform at Madison Square Garden - with me standing just off stage watching his every move. Hearing his laugh at Neverland on the little train. Working on demos like "Jane" and "Family" and "Little Susie". Sharing meals. Holding Bubbles while he sang. Popcorn fights."

"JANE"!!! Titles of unreleased songs we never heard of just make we want to sit thru more and more seminars and find out the origins of these songs.

TinnyandOdd;4122304 said:
Are you going to the seminar too :ph34r: ?
No I´m not. I prefer to be in LA around his birthday instead of June..

Wow, that is so kind of you! Do you live in the U.S?

It is definitely something to consider, though I think flights and accommodation might get too expensive in August with it being school holidays.

One way or the other I will get to LA sometime this year!

No, I live in the UK at the moment, but I´m from Denmark but my family lives in Sweden. I try to travel to LA every year around his birthday, it would be fun to meet other fans.

Latest from Brad:
----------------------------------------------------------------

Happy and Blessed 2016!!

It is hard to believe but in just two weeks we will be in a warm studio in Helsinki for the weekend.

I was thinking about the HIStory project these past few days and our time in New York. (Forgive me if you have heard this before.) We moved the MJ "Team" - including Brad Buxer, Bruce Swedien, a semi-truck full of microphones, tape machines, tapes, track sheets, drum risers, notes, track sheets, mixes, endless cases of gear and cables, etc., from LA to New York in early 1994. Michael and his security team followed a few weeks later, after we got the studios set up.

We moved into the Hit Factory on West 54th, and immediately started setting up Bruce's equipment, Michael's lounge, etc. I was told we would be there for maybe three months, which of course I knew was not true. Michael albums never lasted three months. Ten months maybe, but not three. (By the time the final video mixes were complete I had worked in NY for nearly 16 months, but that's another story.)

The early spring of 1994 in New York was incredibly cold, with snow storm after snow storm. I hadn't lived in snow country for many years, so this was so great! If you have ever tromped through the streets of New York, or any very large city, when it is blanketed in snow and no cars can move, you know what I mean. It makes the city quiet and clean. And cold.

I love the cold; Michael hated it.

Back in our home in LA we had something called a quartz heater, which was fairly popular for a time in California. It threw off a crazy amount of heat, yet was completely silent. I wanted to get one for Michael in the studio, but I had no luck in the stores in Manhattan. I searched and searched (this was before Google and Amazon - so it was actual foot-shopping), but came up empty handed.

Finally I called my wife's mom - who was an amazingly kind woman - in central California and asked her to do me a huge favor. I asked if she would buy a quartz heater from a store I remembered and have it Fed-Ex'd out to us. She was amused at the request, but also knew that we took very good care of Michael, so she accepted the challenge.

A few days later a big box showed up at the studio with my heater in it! I plugged it in and was thankful it worked. Michael loved that silly heater, and would often carry it with him from room to room, so it was always close by.

There is solid connection in my mind between cold weather - snow in particular - and the HIStory album. No, I will not go all intellectual on you and compare the weather to Michael's frame of mind at that point in his life - rather I will keep it simple and practical.

We would slog through the snow, sipping coffee (before Starbucks invaded Manhattan) to get to the studio from our hotel, then kick the snow off our boots in the lobby (I am sorry to the Hit Factory staff for the mess we made), and go into the warm studios and start working on songs like "Scream", "2Bad", and of course "Stranger In Moscow".

The connection is as strong as ink on a page for me - cold weather and the HIStory album. Yes, it did warm up that year, and yes - we ironically did a Christmas song on hot summer day, but I still like the memories of the cold air and that warm studio.

In just two weeks I have a feeling we will recreate the feeling in Helsinki and Stockholm. Some people think we are crazy to go to Finland and Sweden in January, but I can't think of a better time! I want to feel the cold on my face and see people struggling to get their jackets off - all with a backdrop of MJ music.

The new seminar is so exciting - we have poured countless hours into preparations. The music, the visuals, the stories - I will do everything I can to help you see what I saw, hear what I heard, and feel what I felt.

I hope you will consider joining us in Helsinki, Stockholm, Paris or Brussels this month. Learn about songs you love, how we recorded and mixed them. Part technical, part personal - all real.

Come celebrate the new year with me and a fellow group of music-lovers in the studio. It's cold outside, but it's always warm in the studio. Tickets are on sale now.

Happy New Year, and blessings on you and your family!

Brad

^^he's so interesting. Hope he brings one of those old quartz heaters with him to the seminar.

Is there anyway to contact Brad directly? I tried the FB page and website to no avail.

I'd like to know if they plan to bring this to Asia at some point.

Is there anyway to contact Brad directly? I tried the FB page and website to no avail.

I'd like to know if they plan to bring this to Asia at some point.

The best way to contact Brad is to add a comment to his MJ events FB page (In the Studio with Michael Jackson) . People often ask about other locations while discussing the next planned venues. Brad doesn't often reply directly...he is very busy.....but suggestions can go on the 'possibilities list' for consideration.

Brad hasn't mentioned any plans for Asia yet , as far as I recall. The nearest is a possible future trip to Australasia, with no dates suggested as yet. A trip to South America has also been in the planning for a while. Brad usually holds overseas events in a recording studio or similar, so if you know of one locally which is available to hire, you could always comment on his page and let him know, especially if you know a group of fans who are guaranteed to buy tickets. (Costs need to be covered by ticket sales).

^Thanks myosotis, I don't expect him to come to my country actually - it's a bit off radar.

I'm willing to travel to any Asian destination to attend this, Singapore or Hong Kong for example.

While I can't vouch for ticket demand, Michael is popular in these countries, so a good demand is foreseeable.

In the week of the CES tribute in Las Vegas, latest from Brad...about 'Monster' cable....which were apparently 'monsters'! :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A quick story about Noel Lee, Michael, Bruce and Monster Cable.

This year at CES in Vegas (no, I won't be there this time) Monster Cable is hosting a huge tribute event for Michael Jackson. Noel Lee is no stranger to hosting these monster events (are two catch-words in one sentence too many?), and I take my hat to his quest for perfection and showmanship.

I met Noel many years, as you might expect, in the studio. In the early days of the Bad album there was some sort of sponsorship agreement between Monster Cable and Michael, so before we knew it there was a truck behind the studio unloading case after case of some of the most beautiful cables you have ever seen.

Now, I admit that I am a bit of a geek with this sort of thing, but these cables were amazing, in every style and format imaginable. That was the good news. The Bad news (catch-word number three) was that Bruce actually wanted to use them. All the time.

OK, it wasn't bad - but it was work. Studios are wired in such a way that all of the cables are hidden in the walls, feeding patch bays and mic panels. Typically all the engineer needs to touch is the microphone, a short mic cable, and maybe a patch cord.

Now Bruce wanted me to drag hundreds of feet of Monster Cable for recording vocals, drums, guitars, etc. No need for the gym - these cables were like small fire hoses, only heavier.

And yes, they did sound great.

Bruce was so particular about using these cables - I swear this is true - that he would record drums on a fat 2" 16-track analog machine, then IMMEDIATELY look at me and say, '"OK, let's transfer them to digital."

This would mean I would have to get the Monster Cable "harness" which weighed about 9000 lbs, and connect the outputs of the analog machine directly into the inputs of the digital machine. I still remember my hands getting sore from unplugging and plugging in all of these cables, over and over again. We took this stuff very seriously. (By transfering those "fresh" tracks right after recording, we were forever capturing the analog sound on a digital format - the best of both worlds so to speak.)

For vocals we would run a long Monster Microphone Cable from the Michael's mic in the studio to Bruce's Preamp in the control room. I would have to jam it under the doors and remind Michael not to trip on it in the dark. (Jam and Trip - two more points.)

Bruce even went to so far as to have Monster make custom blue and yellow patch cords for the patch bay, because Bruce (and I) are Swedish, and those are the colors of the Swedish flag. (And the Ikea sign, but that's not part of this story.)

Noel Lee used to make occasional visits to us in the studio. We had various guests who would stop by, friends of Michael, Bruce or Quincy, but not too many. Noel was a pro at knowing how often to visit and how long to stay. He was always friendly and upbeat, with a huge smile and endless curiosity. And - he loves music. He was allowed to hear mixes and production tracks that we were working on, something that I think he very much appreciated.

There were other guests - who shall forever remain nameless - who I was perhaps less "enthusiastic" when they arrived, but Noel was always a pleasure to be around. In no small way does he represent the "American Dream" of building a huge company from nothing. And he's a blame nice guy to boot!

I wish Noel nothing but ongoing success in his business ventures as well has his tribute event for Michael this week. I wish I were in Vegas to see what he has put together!

We will be in Helsinki, Stockholm and Paris in less than two weeks. My new edits and segments are almost finished (although the seminar will always be changing and trying new things), and I am very excited to spend a few days in the cold!

I hope you will consider joining us in the studio - it's always warm in here.

Tickets on sale now at www.inthestudiowithmj.com/events
Will You Be There?

Latest from Brad: (This post made me cry :( )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goosebumps.

It happened again this afternoon, working on some edits. I heard a section of a guitar solo by Slash and I I was thrown back in time, back into the studio. It was weird and amazing.

Michael was complicated in many ways. He wasn't just a singer, he wasn't just a dancer. He didn't just love pop music, he didn't just love classical. He didn't just love statues, he didn't just love books. He loved it all and wanted more. He pushed the limits constantly in terms of music, dance, creativity, philanthropy and fashion. He was complicated, and loved extremes. "More guitar!" he pleaded with Bruce during mixes. "More strings... I love the strings!!"

I have mentioned this before, but Michael had this habit - for lack of a better word - where his emotion would get the best of him and he would throw his head back and shriek or howl if he loved something. And it wasn't an act - it was him fully letting go of what he was feeling. Since I am a stoic Swede, this took me a while to understand. If you are not ready for a Michael Jackson shriek next to you, it will wake you up.

Over time I started to love seeing him light up over a mix, or a new ride, or a even a piece of classical music. I remember clearly building him a giant sound system at the ranch - which filled an area about the size of a football field - and bringing him out to hear it. I chose DeBussy as my demo music, as I knew how much he loved that composer. As the music swelled he clenched his fists, closed his eyes and raised his face to the sky - and let out the loudest "HOOOOOO!!" you can imagine.

Goosebumps.

So this afternoon I was listening to some of the music with Slash's guitar. Slash and Michael had the coolest friendship. Michael wasn't going to be pigeonholed as a pop singer, or an R&B artist, or a great dancer. He blew the doors of genre. He brought in Steve Stevens and Slash and Eddie Van Halen. And the New York Philharmonic. And Biggie Smalls. And Babyface. And Paulinho. It was hard to keep up with him musically.

But today it was Slash. I heard a song I had not listened to in quite a while, and Slash owned it. He owned it, battered it, deep fried it and served it. And even though it isn't on the track, in my mind I could hear Michael howl. And I got goosebumps. It stopped me in my tracks. My daughter Amanda has been working with me on some of the show edits and production, and I made her stop and let me listen to it again. Just for fun. Just for that momentary throwback into the studio. I didn't want to leave.

It's funny when I am somewhere unexpected and I get thrown back into the studio with Michael. It might be in a grocery store when I hear Smooth Criminal while picking out a bag of spinach. Or ice skating in New York (this actually happened a few weeks ago) when they decided to play You Are Not Alone. Just for a few seconds the world stops and and I'm back in a session from more than two decades ago, listening to Michael record a vocal.

I don't have a time machine. I can't take you there, though I wish I could, because I think you would really like it. I think you would get goosebumps.

After listening to Slash a couple more times I regained my focus and continued with some of the last-minute edits. But it's weird. You know that dumb saying, "It's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all?" OK, maybe it's not dumb, but hear me out. In my daily life I very rarely play Michael music. Don't get me wrong - I love many of his songs, and dislike a few also. But I don't just hear the song. I feel the memories, like they happened yesterday. I hear his laugh. I hear his curious questions. I hear his ideas. I hear the vocal layers. I hear the snare and the kick. And, sometimes, I get the goosebumps. Like today.

I'm not a dancer, I'm not a singer, and you really don't want to hear me shriek. But maybe Michael's style of taking a big bite out of everything you do is something I can learn from. Don't just hire a guitar player - get Slash! Don't just dance - Moonwalk! Don't just sing a song - own it with every fiber of your being!

Yes, I loved being in the studio with Michael, and yes, I miss it. I can't go back, but I can appreciate, study, learn and teach what it was like, what we did right, how we did it, and why. But teaching will only go so far - at some point you have to feel. You have to close your eyes and raise your head and feel. The goosebumps will come.

When something is good, you want to tell your friends - you want to share the experience. I am so excited to share the new seminar with you that I want to grab your arm and pull you into the studio, dim the lights and crank the volume to 11!! I want you to be there, to hear, see and feel. Trust me, it's good - and you will be blown away.

Helsinki, Stockholm, Paris - Brace yourself!

Hear things you have never heard.
See things you have never seen.
Learn things you never knew.

The Winter Tour kicks off next weekend, but it's always warm in the studio.

Tickets are on sale now.

www.inthestudiowithmj.com

^^I saw this on a Facebook page yesterday and made the comment that I love the way he writes because he really makes you feel like you are there. And I'll run, not walk, to the bookstore if he ever writes a book.
And HE answered me!! I absolutely freaked out.

I honestly love his stories and writing style tho.

Now I'm even more bummed I couldn't make the Vegas seminar. :(. And yes, he should write a book!

Now I'm even more bummed I couldn't make the Vegas seminar. :(. And yes, he should write a book!
He said that yes, it was his plan. But it would take a long time due to family, friends, work and the seminars.
I was delighted to read that.

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask this, I don't know so excuse me but I just bought tickets and I was sent an email from Ticketbud Orders with the info of the event and the ticket as a pdf file. Now I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm supposed to print it out right??? Or am I supposed to do anything else with it? I'm having issues with my printer that's why I wonder if there are any other ways. This is probably a dumb question. :doh: Any kind soul who can help a non technical person like me?

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask this, I don't know so excuse me but I just bought tickets and I was sent an email from Ticketbud Orders with the info of the event and the ticket as a pdf file. Now I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm supposed to print it out right??? Or am I supposed to do anything else with it? I'm having issues with my printer that's why I wonder if there are any other ways. This is probably a dumb question. :doh: Any kind soul who can help a non technical person like me?

I seem to remember printing my ticket out...I didn't have a printer at the time so I went somewhere else that had computer facilities and printed it there....maybe you have a 'computer cafe' / library with computer facilities for public use or similar nearby?

I expect that that Brad will have access to his Ticketbud records on the day, so will be able to check who has purchased, if you are stuck for printing. (Maybe take some ID / proof of purchase with you, just to be sure that you can be matched up?)

(Sometimes tickets can also be checked from codes directly from your phone...I can't recall if Ticketbud does that.)

I seem to remember printing my ticket out...I didn't have a printer at the time so I went somewhere else that had computer facilities and printed it there....maybe you have a 'computer cafe' / library with computer facilities for public use or similar nearby?

I expect that that Brad will have access to his Ticketbud records on the day, so will be able to check who has purchased, if you are stuck for printing. (Maybe take some ID / proof of purchase with you, just to be sure that you can be matched up?)

(Sometimes tickets can also be checked from codes directly from your phone...I can't recall if Ticketbud does that.)

Thank you, that's very helpful! I already found someone to help me print it out but it's nice to know there might be a backup plan in case I mess up. :)

Back