Hot topic Brad Sundberg Seminars: Making Music With Michael Jackson

Re: Brad Sundberg seminars: Making Music With Michael Jackson

Thanks for the great review qbee! I was wondering: you mention that Brad played a number of tracks at their original tempo, which were later sped up for release. Could you maybe give some examples of the tracks he played?.
Hi SoCav the review wasn't mine. I posted it from a fan blog and left the source link. Wish I could have attended though.

Hi SoCav the review wasn't mine. I posted it from a fan blog and left the source link. Wish I could have attended though.
Ah.. Sorry qbee. I did see the link but didn't realize it was not your report.

Hope you get a chance to attend one of the seminars in the future!

For me there is only this evidence of For All Time being worked on in the Thriller era. If you listen to the writers demo of Human Nature, the opening sounds very similar to For All Time.

That's because Steve Porcaro, who co-wrote Human Nature, wanted to compose a "follow-up" recording, so to speak. He himself has said that For All Time was recorded in 1990.

From the In the Studio With MJ Facebook page, this sounds amazing!:woohoo:

It's Official: Matt Forger and I will team up for a very special "In The Studio With MJ" in Orlando! Matt was a vital part of Michael's studio team for many years, and Matt (among many other things) recorded and mixed Captain EO.

Here is what you can expect at this extended event:
>The complete "In The Studio With MJ" seminar.
>A special segment with Matt sharing stories from Captain EO.
>Our tribute to "Family Friday" studio dinner (and trust me, the food will be amazing).
>With Matt and I getting back together in the studio, anything can happen!
>Music. Studio. Stories. Laughter. Memories. Videos. Food. All Michael. All day.
>The next day you will have the option to meet up with us at EPCOT and (hopefully) see Captain EO with us. (Disney admission will NOT be inclusive in you ITSWMJ ticket purchase.)

January 25, 2014 - In The Studio With MJ
January 26, 2014 - Hang out all day at EPCOT
Orlando, Florida - USA

Start the new year at the one event you will remember and talk about for year to come. Tickets will go on sale this weekend.

Will You Be There?

Someone should really suggest to him to have this special seminar recorded so that he can sell a DVD. With the 2 of them, I know it's gonna be fantastic!

Someone should really suggest to him to have this special seminar recorded so that he can sell a DVD. With the 2 of them, I know it's gonna be fantastic!

I agree. There are a lot of fans who would like to go but can't.

Oh no, I can't believe there was one in Toronto and I was away! I wanted to go to new York for Ian McKellen & Patrick Stewart's play, but gosh this sounds amazing in Orlando. I wonder if I an save enough? How much do tickets usually cost for a regular seminar?

How can I get tickets before it sells out? There is no info on the FB page or on the website...

Lark

Last edited:

How can I get tickets before it sells out? There is no info on the FB page or on the website...

Lark

Here is some more info and link to buy tickets
Brad Sundberg's seminar is back in Florida!

In The Studio With Michael Jackson posted:
Brad Sundberg and Matt Forger, together for the first time ever in a very exciting "In The Studio With MJ" event! More music, more stories: Thriller, EO, Bad, Dangerous, HIStory and BOTDF. Hear what it was like from the two guys worked with Michael on countless projects.

This will be an extended seminar with "Family Friday" dinner included in the ticket price.

January 25, 2014, Starke Lake Studios Orlando. (Update changed to Feb 8th )

You asked for it, and you really do not want to miss it.

Tickets are now on sale for this one-of-a-kind event. See you next month!

https://inthestudiowithmichaeljackson.ticketbud.com/in-the-studio-with-mj---orlando

Exactly! And not just this one, cause it seems like every seminar is unique (to some extent) and he tells different stories/plays different demo's every time. From what I can tell a lot of this stuff is priceless and I feel like it should be documented!

Brad FB

Am I the only one that thought EO's control panel looked remarkably like a little recording studio? I might have to ask Matt Forger about that....

Thank you to my early ticket buyers! I knew this event was going to generate interest, and it certainly has.

So check it out: I was just a kid in 1984, and I got my first studio job at Westlake Studios. It was not by accident - I wanted to work at Westlake because that was the studio Bruce Swedien recorded "Thriller." Any record that sounded THAT good had to come from an amazing studio, and Westlake was all that and more. It was a cool dysfunctional family of musicians, geeks, comedians, hard workers and some of the most incredible people I have ever known. I still refer to my education as a graduate of the University of Westlake Studios.

Anyway, I think it was my first week of being a runner at Westlake, and they put me over at the remote studio location (Westlake still has two locations) on Beverly Blvd. I'm walking down the hallway, and who pops out of Studio A but Michael Jackson. Seriously. He was by himself, and he greeted me like a shy kid. Day after day we would pass in the hallway and he got used to seeing me and got comfortable with me being around. He was working on "Captain EO," and Matt Forger was his engineer. Matt and I became friends, and Matt was amazingly generous with his time, knowledge and humor. He brought me into the control room (which looked like something out of the Starship Enterprise) and explained how he was mixing the project in true "surround sound", to make the studio sound like the theater at Disney eventually would.

True fact: Captain EO was the FIRST true digital surround-sound movie ever made!

So that was how my story begins, but Matt has a few years on me in terms of his time with Michael. He worked on a little project called "Thriller" before "EO." (I might suggest you come to the seminar to hear the story continue.)

I did some quick math, and to the best of my knowledge Matt and I have a combined work-span of more than 40 years with Michael.

If you want tabloid garbage and rumors, this is not the place. We will bring you music, stories, laughter and history. Even I have no idea what is going to happen, and that's how I like it.

Join us on a ride that you will not forget: One day in the studio, and one day at EPCOT.

>>>EPCOT admission is not included in the ticket price, nor can I guarantee that Captain EO will still be shown.

I agree also-I've always loved watching or reading anything about "behind the curtain" since I was a kid (whether it be music, or about old Hollywood musicals, movies, and stars, Broadway theatre, etc) and I KNOW this would be absolutely fascinating to most of us-the reason BAD 25 doc was so thrilling. I'm sure it would be a huge seller after he finishes his seminars.

I just signed up for the Orlando Feb 8th seminar! Looking forward to it! :)

(Also if you have been to a previous seminar, Brad offers a 15% discount.)

Jamba, I am going too! I will see you there!

I got a beautiful e-mail fro Brad yesterday, perhaps you got it to?

He said he loves receiving letters from fans and he even talked about a dream he had about Michael recently... it was very sweet. I think he is someone who would bend over backwards for the fans, he is putting a lot of effort into this and when the date had to change, he could have just sent out a Facebook message but he called me himself on the phone, all the way from Orlando. He must have been stressed, but he took the time to answer my questions, and even tried to help me get the time off so I could attend.

I so look forward to meeting you!

Lark

Jamba, I am going too! I will see you there!

I got a beautiful e-mail fro Brad yesterday, perhaps you got it to?

He said he loves receiving letters from fans and he even talked about a dream he had about Michael recently... it was very sweet. I think he is someone who would bend over backwards for the fans, he is putting a lot of effort into this and when the date had to change, he could have just sent out a Facebook message but he called me himself on the phone, all the way from Orlando. He must have been stressed, but he took the time to answer my questions, and even tried to help me get the time off so I could attend.

I so look forward to meeting you!

Lark

Yes, I got that email and it inspired me to sign up!

I look forward to meeting you too, Lark!! :) Should be fun--can't wait!

In The Studio With Michael Jackson posted:
Who wants a quick Bill Bray story?

Bill.. what a character. He was funny, dry, loyal and a genuinely good man. Back in 1988 we had just wrapped up Bad tour rehearsals in Pensacola, FL, and the whole team was in NYC for the Grammys ("TWYMMF/Man In The Mirror) and Michael's series of concerts at MSG.

Now, let me set the scene for you: Michael posters, music and memorabilia were all over the city. The tour production team, band and crew were in town. Bruce Swedien and I were in LA putting the finishing touches on a dance mix, and we missed our flight to New York. (My wife Debbie caught our flight without me, and I caught up with her the next day.) Now keep in mind, I was just a kid - Bruce was Michael's engineer, I was Bruce's assistant - but Michael (and Bill) knew me, liked me, trusted me and knew how hard I worked.

The morning after I arrived Deb and I were walking out of our hotel - which I think was the Omni Park Central in midtown. It was not a great hotel, but it was paid for and it was OK. Purely by chance we walked onto the sidewalk and ran into Bill Bray. He looked at me and said, (in his awesome gravely voice):
"What are you doing here??!!"
I said, "Um, we're here for the Grammys and to work with Michael at Hit Factory..."
He said, "No... what are you doing HERE? At the Omni? This is for the crew! You're not crew... you need to be with the band!"
I said, "OK... what do you mean?"
He explained the ABC's of touring: A - Artist, B - Band, C- Crew. Artist stays in the best hotel, Band in a good hotel, Crew stays at places like the Omni.
He moved us to the Parker Meridian, down the hallway from Jennifer Batten, Cheryl Crow and Ricky Lawson. (Deb and I watched the Grammy's with the band in Jennifer's room). Oh, and by the way, the Meridian was WAY better than the Omni!

But here's the thing - Bill didn't have to do that. I wasn't complaining - I was just happy to be in NY. I never forgot that nod of kindness on Bill's part. What a cool guy! He was always kind, funny, and a pleasure to be around.

Here's to the Grammy's, and to an often unsung hero of Michael's team: Bill Bray. He was truly a class act.

Hear things you have never heard.
See things you have never seen.
Learn things you never knew.

In The Studio With MJ
February 8, 2014
Orlando, Florida

Special guest Matt Forger to discuss Thriller and Captain EO!

Tickets on sale now - http://tinyurl.com/kskq6np

Some wonderful memories.

[h=5]In The Studio With Michael Jackson
[/h]Friday at last!! So check it out - yesterday I hung out over at Universal Studios Orlando for a fun day with Deb and my girls before their winter break from college is over. Anyway, Universal is tightly connected to the Simpsons, as you may or may not know. We were walking through a section with huge Simpson's figures everywhere, and suddenly this song from my past starts pumping through the speakers: "Do The Bartman."

Bryan Loren and Michael Jackson produced the song at Record One in 1990, during the early days of production of the "Dangerous" album. You can read all about it on Wikipedia if you like, but the song was never released as a single in the US, however it charted in Australia, New Zealand, Sweden and Spain, among others. Michael loved the Simpsons, and we had so much fun when the team came in to do their vocals.

Tickets for the Feb 8 "In The Studio With MJ" have been selling well, so thank you! We are just 22 days away from the big day, and it is going to be awesome!

Enjoy your weekend with a throwback to 1990, and a great Bryan/Michael groove - Do The Bartman !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKC7Oz6ZrRU

In The Studio With MJ

February 8, 2014
Orlando, Florida

Special guest Matt Forger to discuss Thriller and Captain EO!

Tickets on sale now - http://tinyurl.com/kskq6np

Brad Sundberg ‏@InStudioWithMJ 17 Std.

Elephants at Neverland? Just another day... https://www.facebook.com/inthestudiowithmj … pic.twitter.com/KeHAQk5xkH
7538_246590475514854_1780808993_n.jpg

We are just one "Like" away from 2100!! I have been very busy on projects these past several days, but the clock is really ticking down to the Orlando seminar in Feb 8th! I have told you about the seminar, about my special guest Matt Forger, Captain EO, Starke Lake Studios, etc. You KNOW this is going to be an awesome event with music, home movies, stories, memories, and so on. Oh - and the dinner is going to be amazing, but again... this is all old news, right?

So I need two things from you.

First, I need you to spread the word on your Facebook pages, in fan groups, to your family and friends. See the poster below? Share it!!

Second, I need to get serious about how many people will be joining us, so I can arrange the catering, etc. If you are PLANNING on buying a ticket or tickets in the next two weeks, please let me know via comment or IM. A lot of work goes into these events, and I need to have everything as prepared as possible. Last minute purchases are always welcome, but I like to have some idea of what to expect.

Lastly, there are several people travelling in from out of town, out of state and out of the country. I have not had much time to research hotels, etc., but I can work on it a bit this week. But... if you want to connect with other ticket holders and check on their travel plans, etc., feel free to use the comment section below. I am happy to help as much as possible, but it might be more efficient for you guys to connect sooner than later. I am happy to launch a separate page if that helps, but I thought it might be easiest to start here.

Last fun thought for the day: One day we were up at Neverland for a family event, at the end of the HIStory album. My wife Debbie and I and our daughters were in the back yard near the trampoline when the trainers brought two elephants (a mother and baby) across the lawn... like that was normal. Deb made the comment to our girls, "Only at Neverland do elephants stroll across the lawn!" It was a place like no other...

In The Studio With MJ
Orlando, Florida
Feb 8, 2014

In The Studio With Michael Jackson

1013301_246884245485477_661735642_n.jpg

Guys, check it out: I just had great phone call with Matt Forger, and he is pulling out some stuff that is going to be amazing - I can't wait to hear what he brings on Feb 8th! This is real-deal stories and music from the man who was there for Thriller, and who recorded and mixed Captain EO. Then we will tag-team through Bad, Dangerous and HIStory.

Do you know who was in the room for the Thriller album? Michael Jackson, Quincy Jones, Rod Temperton, Bruce Swedien and Matt Forger. This is your chance to hear stories and ask questions about the biggest selling album of all time.

Then Captain EO! Matt and Michael were back in the studio for the incredible production of Captain EO for Disney. Matt will fill you in on behind the scenes stories and production mixes from that incredible production.

Top that off with my expanded program of ITSWMJ, with Matt and I swapping stories and experiences - THAT is going to be a lot of fun!

My rock-star caterer Linda is preparing an awesome feast for you; I will bring my Westlake speakers (used by Bruce and Michael to mix Dangerous and HIStory) to give you the most vivid sound you have ever heard; there will also be some very rare memorabilia for you to see; this is going to be a day not to be missed by any MJ fan.

In The Studio With MJ
Starke Lake Studios
February 8, 2014

Tickets are on sale now.
https://inthestudiowithmichaeljackson.ticketbud.com/in-the-studio-with-mj---orlando

Source: Brads Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...03639509.25695.128278317346071&type=1&theater

Be7snEvCYAAk9aw.jpg

OK, it's time for a quick story about something you are not expecting: Headphones. You may not have thought about headphones ever, but when you work in the studio with Michael Jackson, headphones are actually a very important element. OK - stop yawning, give me a chance to explain.

Before the world had ever heard of "Beats By Dr. Dre", we had to have headphones in the studio the fulfilled at least three criteria: sound good and be comfortable to wear; be able to handle loud volumes; and be durable enough to withstand studio life.

Here's the thing with many musicians - they can nearly deaf from years of rehearsals, concerts, etc. Drummers in particular (unfortunately) can really abuse their ears if they are not careful, but singers, guitar players, etc., are all subject to being around very loud music for extended periods of time. Back to my story.

Michael had remarkably good hearing when I worked with him, all things considered, but he loved having his headphones painfully loud. If you have never worked in a recording studio, the reason singers and musicians use headphones is so they can hear the song, their voice, etc., but the microphone only hears their voice, or the instrument they are playing. It became a bit of a challenge for us, because Michael would crank his headphones louder and louder during a session, then he would call out, "Brad... my headphones don't sound right... can I get another pair?" I would bring him another pair, only to discover he had blown the previous ones. Now, you can't really tell Michael he needs to turn his headphones down, so the challenge was to find a set that would please his ears and be comfortable to wear, and be loud enough for his liking.

We tried several models from AKG and Sennheiser, only to send them to the shop with smoke coming out of them after an MJ vocal session. Finally we discovered the solution: The Fostex T20. Michael tried them and reached for the volume control. Now, I like loud music, I really do - but the volume that Michael would listen to and sing along with on those T20's was mindblowing! He loved them, and they became our must-have in every studio we worked in.

So, if you want to listen to Michael's music through the same headphones that he was listening to when he created it, skip the Beat's By Dre and pick up a pair of Fostex T20's. (They cost 1/3 as much!) You may not look like everyone else, but you'll know the back-story - these were the headphones that Michael used). Michael always marched to his own drumbeat - shouldn't you?

In The Studio With MJ Orlando with special guest Matt Forger -
February 8, 2014

Optional day at EPCOT to watch Captain EO with Brad and Matt -
February 9, 2014

Get your ticket right!

E14-0127-mj-forger_400x300.jpg.pagespeed.ce.NVJgerB4Ny.jpg

http://enewschannels.com/2014/01/28...xperiences-working-michael-jackson-studio-mj/

Brad Sundberg welcomes Matt Forger to recount experiences working with Michael Jackson for ‘In the Studio with MJ’

What was it like to be in the recording studio as Michael Jackson created the iconic tracks for such monumental albums as “Thriller,” “Bad,” “Dangerous,” and “HIStory”? Truly dedicated fans will find out from two of the recording engineers who were there with MJ, Quincy Jones, and all the famous musicians as Matt Forger joins Brad Sundberg for the next “In the Studio with MJ” session scheduled for Feb. 8, 2014, in Orlando, Fla.

Together and separately, Forger and Sundberg worked with Michael Jackson on studio recording sessions, video mixes, dance mixes, world tours, and more. In addition, Forger recorded and mixed “Captain EO,” the groundbreaking film and music project that involved Jackson, Francis Ford Coppola and George Lucas.

“Recalling some of the musical moments from the making of this legendary music will be great fun for us and should be enlightening for everyone who attends,” Forger states. “It is going to be terrific to play some of the large number of mixes of tracks from all the projects we worked on. Brad and I have enjoyed so many different aspects of the creative process of Michael’s singles and albums and it will be exciting to share them,” Forger adds.

Sundberg has presented his “In the Studio with MJ” sessions all over the world and says he loves the “no script” approach that concentrates on the “stories, music and home videos” of many extraordinary sessions.

“With the presentations of music, videos, personal behind-the-scenes stories and photos, this is a unique opportunity for people interested in the music industry, and in Michael Jackson in particular, to see, hear and learn what it was like to work side-by-side with a true music legend,” Sundberg states.

The event will be held in a professional recording studio and limited to 50 attendees. “This event is ideal for anyone who is a fan of Michael’s music, or who is curious about how those albums were recorded and the staggering amount of tapes, tracks and time that was put into them,” Forger notes.

“In The Studio with MJ” will take place from Noon to 8 p.m. on Saturday, February 8 at Starke Lake Studios, 275 North Lakeshore Drive, Ocoee, FL 34761. Tickets are $249, dinner included.

Hopefully all this sessions are recorded, and at some stage he could sell DVD of these sessions. I would really like to see and hear Matt F as he was absolutely lovely guy and seemed genuinely caring about Michael in the BAD 25, and his tears made me cry:-(

^ Brad is writing a book if I understood it correctly on FB. This is a book I'm interested in.

^ Brad is writing a book if I understood it correctly on FB. This is a book I'm interested in.

Is he really? That should be good :clapping:
Book or DVD of his sessions, both of them would be something I would buy.

I just wonder would he have enough stories to make up one book, and if not, he could add stories from other people like Matt F etc?

Yeah, he hinted at that in a FB group.

I am loving these little anecdotes and all so positive, such a pleasant change.

Back