Branca: Unreleased Music Unlikely in the Foreseeable Future

I know it will NEVER happen, but I would love to see Moonwalker released in cinemas. Smooth Criminal on the big screen would be fantastic

A re-release would be awesome. They could make it 3D and show the rumored 3D version of Thriller before it.

man, that is frustrating actually. unreleased music would be most important to me. :/

I hope this means they will focus more on his video material. - Concerts, shortmovies etc.

If the go through all his stuff - sure there must be more concerts ready to be released. Hope for more BAD and Dangerous concerts. In HD - and they could make a fan edition with an extra disc with rehearsal footage. - Would be awesome!

It's not illegal.
That doesn't necessarily make it right though does it? Why would you want to do that? Surely you want to take part in conversations with your own original thoughts? I see some incredible posts by others and perhaps it's cool to quote a person from time to time but including a quote box and giving the person props is the way to do it surely. Look I don't mean to be getting on your back about it but it's just not nice for a person who's spent time putting down their personal thoughts to have it lifted by some one else.

So... I guess no collectors label then? Screw the Estate. They've been terrible since day 1. They have no idea what they are doing (Cascio songs anyone??!!) , nor do they care anything about MJ.

Bringing Brighter Days;4176038 said:
2 seas records was like a group of fans here deciding to start a label of their own

the label was a joint venture between MJ and that Bahranian prince, the label didn't even exist before then

after Invincible, he was finished with that entire concept

when 2 seas was formed, media reported he was working on his first full studio album since Invincible. I didn't believe that at all.

Then it went from a studio album to a charity record, that right there indicate that joint venture wasn't going to last long

Bringing Brighter Days;4176049 said:
MJ had no plans releasing any bonafide music with 2 seas.....that was strictly PR.....I didn't beleive anything would materialize......not to say that he wasn't working on anything per se in relation to low scale projects but as far as a full fledge studio album of new material....that ended w/Invincible

It is certainly a fact that MJ began working on a new studio album at that time (2006).

Here is another example: in an interview that MJ gave to MTV UK News in 2006, when he was asked how his new album was going, he replied enthusiastically (“Excellent!... I'm mainly writing it myself…”).

Joint ventures obviously did not exist before their time of conception, but this does not make them fictitious when they are formed. Besides, MJ was no stranger to such ventures at all (‘Kingdom Entertainment’, for example).

Anyway, I am sure no amount of facts would sway your wrong opinion (about MJ’s retirement after ‘Invincible’).

I remember reading somewhere that Michael never said ''I need to start work on a new album'' because Michael never stopped working on new music. He was always writing songs, and coming up with new ideas.

Michael says at the start of this video that he never stopped making music

I remember reading somewhere that Michael never said ''I need to start work on a new album'' because Michael never stopped working on new music. He was always writing songs, and coming up with new ideas.

Michael says at the start of this video that he never stopped making music

this was the PR interview loll.....

this was vintage PR work......

MJ set that up to see what type of public reaction he would get a year after his trial ended

Also, this was right after the venture with 2 seas didn't venture out

when Billy Bush said that Willi I Am was going to take MJ's music to the next level, that even gave more confirmation, this was PR

Will I Am was aspiring to become a great producer but he was not a seasoned veteran like a Quincy Jones or even a Teddy Riley.

The longstanding legend stood where it was known MJ could tell if you knew what you were doing or not within seconds and if you were top level at your craft when it came to production

^^ I'm curious as to why you think your word is any more reputable over those who actively worked with Michael on the album...?

Billy Bush employed a common interview tactic: compliment the person you're speaking to. Watch any interview ever filmed and the vast majority will feature the author offering some sort of praise, whether earned or exaggerated, to the interviewee.

I see no logic in you continually bringing up the failure of the 2 Seas venture either. So because that attempt didn't pan out, somehow that equates to Michael deciding to retire and never changing his mind...?

Keep in mind Michael had plenty of opportunities to embark on a residency or world tour between 2006 and 2008 and continually said no, that he wasn't ready. And then in late 2008, he flipped on a dime and agreed to ten London shows.

The very same thing happened with new material. Immediately following the trial, he took a resting period. Then by the summer of 2006, he was hungry again and made progress, as dozens upon dozens have said.

will.i.am had been producing commercially-released music for eight years by the time he began working with Michael, whereas Riley had only been doing so for five years, and Rodney Jerkins for four. He was far more of a "seasoned veteran" than you give him credit for.

this was the PR interview loll.....

this was vintage PR work......

MJ set that up to see what type of public reaction he would get a year after his trial ended

Also, this was right after the venture with 2 seas didn't venture out

when Billy Bush said that Willi I Am was going to take MJ's music to the next level, that even gave more confirmation, this was PR

Will I Am was aspiring to become a great producer but he was not a seasoned veteran like a Quincy Jones or even a Teddy Riley.

The longstanding legend stood where it was known MJ could tell if you knew what you were doing or not within seconds and if you were top level at your craft when it came to production
And the public reaction was good. Thriller 25 was warmly received, King of Pop built on the positive reaction getting fans to vote what tracks should be on their countries album. Why would MJ set up an elaborate PR situation to see what the reaction was like if he was retired? That dosent make any sense. Looking at the footage with Will-I-Am, MJ seems genuinely happy and excited to be in the studio. I don't believe 2seas was ever at the forfront of what he wanted longterm but why would he be going to these lengths if he was retired?

^^ I'm curious as to why you think your word is any more reputable over those who actively worked with Michael on the album...?

Billy Bush employed a common interview tactic: compliment the person you're speaking to. Watch any interview ever filmed and the vast majority will feature the author offering some sort of praise, whether earned or exaggerated, to the interviewee.

I see no logic in you continually bringing up the failure of the 2 Seas venture either. So because that attempt didn't pan out, somehow that equates to Michael deciding to retire and never changing his mind...?

Keep in mind Michael had plenty of opportunities to embark on a residency or world tour between 2006 and 2008 and continually said no, that he wasn't ready. And then in late 2008, he flipped on a dime and agreed to ten London shows.

The very same thing happened with new material. Immediately following the trial, he took a resting period. Then by the summer of 2006, he was hungry again and made progress, as dozens upon dozens have said.

will.i.am had been producing commercially-released music for eight years by the time he began working with Michael, whereas Riley had only been doing so for five years, and Rodney Jerkins for four. He was far more of a "seasoned veteran" than you give him credit for.

Whose musical style and production is more memorable and longstanding

Teddy Riley or Will I Am

Im not even suggesting 2 seas was a failure because I felt nothing was ever going to materialize

I hope this means they will focus more on his video material. - Concerts, shortmovies etc.

If the go through all his stuff - sure there must be more concerts ready to be released. Hope for more BAD and Dangerous concerts. In HD - and they could make a fan edition with an extra disc with rehearsal footage. - Would be awesome!

YES! This is exactly what they got to do!

^^

You didn't mention longevity. You said that will.i.am was not a seasoned veteran in the way that Teddy Riley was, despite the fact that will.i.am had three more years of experience producing and writing by the time he and Michael began working together.

I'm so confused overall by this argument.

^^

You didn't mention longevity. You said that will.i.am was not a seasoned veteran in the way that Teddy Riley was, despite the fact that will.i.am had three more years of experience producing and writing by the time he and Michael began working together.

I'm so confused overall by this argument.

Compare the list of major acts Teddy Riley produced and Will I Am produced

The tell tale that it was a PR maneuver....

In 30yrs of solo recording, MJ never allowed footage to be seen of him working on a new album during the production stage

Last edited:
As Branca outline in his interview, when conducting the estate they want to keep on growing the fan base by gathering new fans.

In that aspect, nothing will work any better than showing the world what catched our attention in the first place back at the time.

So a new thriller release is clearly not to be considered as something new. It is something that will gather new fans discovering how fantastic Michael was.

Best example for me to see is my 4 years old son. I listen and watch Michael a lot at home, in the car.....and so does he and so do we together.
But guess what's his favorite short film ? Thriller no doubt. Then Ghost.
What's his favorite performance ? Billie Jean no doubt. Then Beat It...or Bad.

All of them are iconic Michael's music, film, dance moves or outfits. And the trick still work the very same than it worked on us 20 or 30 years ago.
This is magic....he just gets mad when he sees the hat, gloves, moonwalk, the thriller werewolf or zombies. He recently asked me to teach him how to make a fingersnap.....no doubt where this is coming from.

So I am not necessarily happy to say it, but I think the estate are well conducting their business. Because it is what it is.....a business. Nothing else.
The only true alternative to me would be a collector label through which they could release something different than in mainstream media.
Really great post-
And this is what it's all about and why I don't have any issues with Branca's interview here.

Introduce Michael to the young by showing him what caught everybody on fire in the first place-absolutely. That's what I did with my little nephews back in 91 when we watched "Black or White" premiere together and then started showing them Moonwalker, The Making of Thriller, etc. One of them has a three year old himself, so it won't be long til that gets passed down. That's how you live forever. That's what makes you immortal.

This is the same as when my mother first called me in to see "Singing in the Rain" one Sunday afternoon-she made a MGM musical junkie out of me.

I'm sorry for everybody that there hasn't been a proper Dangerous 25 celebration, but it could have been as bad (IMO) as the Thriller 25 remix stuff, . I'd rather them take their time and do something really great.

Compare the list of major acts Teddy Riley produced and Will I Am produced

In 30yrs of solo recording, MJ never allowed footage to be seen of him working on a new album during the production stage

Again, completely irrelevant. I'm speaking of time, not major acts. will.i.am has been producing for longer. Fact.

2005-6 was when making fun of Michael Jackson simply for being Michael Jackson was at its zenith. His PR was absolutely atrocious at the time, and he was in desperate need of something positive. He was never so desperate for the world to be back on his side - in thirty years of solo recording, simply attaching his name to something almost guaranteed a success.

He didn't need to focus on improving his PR until 2005-6.

Eh, this is pointless. Got myself involved in a brickwall argument. Guess proven facts isn't enough!

Teddy Riley and Will.i.am are simply different... Riley started a music craze which Michael saw that he was innovative... Will.i.am was never an innovator in that sense but understood feel good rhythms that Michael was going for..

Again, completely irrelevant. I'm speaking of time, not major acts. will.i.am has been producing for longer. Fact.

2005-6 was when making fun of Michael Jackson simply for being Michael Jackson was at its zenith. His PR was absolutely atrocious at the time, and he was in desperate need of something positive. He was never so desperate for the world to be back on his side - in thirty years of solo recording, simply attaching his name to something almost guaranteed a success.

He didn't need to focus on improving his PR until 2005-6.

Eh, this is pointless. Got myself involved in a brickwall argument. Guess proven facts isn't enough!

He didn't need to improve his PR until 2006?

Rewind the clock back to 1993 because that's when those efforts really started.

This is why he started making all those public appearances, performing at the super bowl, attending the 93 Grammy Awards and last but not least, the interview with Oprah Winfrey, especiallly the latter......those efforts were all designed w/the hopes of improving his PR and to boost sales of his album Dangerous domestically.

Same thing with his prime time interview with Diane Sawyer in 1995 right before his upcoming release of the History album

and most definitely when he decided to do the documentary with Martin Bashir in 2003, going into it, it was said he was hoping to achieve the same thing

just because you do something longer doesn't mean you're a seasoned vet on the level that MJ was accustomed to working with (The Corporation at Motown, Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff, and Quincy Jones) because if that was the case, MJ would have called upon Will I Am to produce the album we know as Dangerous

what's ironic about the supposed collaboration between MJ and Will I Am, Will I Iam was talking about the idea of reverting back to what MJ had done starting out when he cut his very first adult solo album when he said "Those Off The Wall kind of strings"

all that being said, after that trial, Michael Jackson should have just set aside his career and chilled out

Last edited:
MJ retired after Invincible

I really don't see how you can come to this conclusion when everything points to the contrary...!!

Best of Joy is made in 2008... - Why on earth would he still make music if he was retired??

ALSO - the list found in his house when he died - all songs he wanted to finish.. - Wht would he if he was retired??

MJ wrote and produced so many songs from 2006-2009... - Can you please explain why a retired musician would do that???

AND - ALL the people close to him said he still made music - Heck some people even went to the studio with MJ and made music... How can you say he retired???

I really don't see how you can come to this conclusion when everything points to the contrary...!!

Best of Joy is made in 2008... - Why on earth would he still make music if he was retired??

ALSO - the list found in his house when he died - all songs he wanted to finish.. - Wht would he if he was retired??

MJ wrote and produced so many songs from 2006-2009... - Can you please explain why a retired musician would do that???

AND - ALL the people close to him said he still made music - Heck some people even went to the studio with MJ and made music... How can you say he retired???

contrary to what was posted about trying to get a reaction, I'm strictly basing the trajectory of MJ's career exactly how it was playing out.

after Invincible, the handwriting was on the wall that he was never going to make another full fledged studio album ever again....I'm not referring to low scale projects, or compilation albums, or isolated singles.......the career as he knew it and everyone else knew it was no more

Thriller 25 was a given considering it was a commemoration of what the original album achieved back in the early 80s, that was a cinch

Number Ones was a compilation,

The Ultimate collection which was released a year after the Number Ones, that was another compilation

in the context of what should have been and could have been vs what became and what actually was, there was literally nothing else to give and that's what led him to say "This is It, when I say this is it, I mean this is really it.......this is the final curtain call"

after Invincible, the handwriting was on the wall that he was never going to make another full fledged studio album ever again....I'm not referring to low scale projects, or compilation albums, or isolated singles.......the career as he knew it and everyone else knew it was no more

in the context of what should have been and could have been vs what became and what actually was, there was literally nothing else to give and that's what led him to say "This is It, when I say this is it, I mean this is really it.......this is the final curtain call"

The only writing on the wall was the three lists of song titles in Michael's bedroom that he wanted to finish.

I don't believe that we would have received a new album with the usual fanfare Michael's releases usually got, no. But all signs point to him having the encouragement and enthusiasm to put a complete studio record out. Not to mention that, once again, there is not a single reliable person who has ever suggested anything otherwise.

Michael's whole "final curtain call" thing was pure PR, as well. He had a ton planned.

A classical album was in the early stages of pre-production. He was still speaking about starring in/writing films. He had about thirty to forty songs on his radar for a new album.

His retirement from performing also wasn't going to be as immediate as he suggested, considering that there were discussions of bringing the tour to another country after the O2 residency (which may or may not have panned out depending on how the first fifty shows went).

Bottom line is, every single piece of evidence points to Michael Jackson still chugging forward and seeing a revitalization. Whatever you THINK should have happened or WANTED to happen is irrelevant. Whether or not it would have been successful is unclear. But all I've ever heard was that Michael Jackson had renewed energy and passion in the final years of his life. And that's all it takes.

I've always been sceptical about the work will.i.am and RedOne supposedly did with MJ. I mean, firstly, neither of them have shown the slightest bit of interest in handing over any tapes of their recordings to MJ's estate. And secondly, it would be in their interest to let people believe they worked with MJ, after all, it's a pretty impressive name to add to their CV. Do you really think will.i.am would come out and admit "nothing really came out of it, but it was great just to be with him in the studio"?

RedOne stated way back in 2010 that he would gladly release the material he and Michael recorded together, but the Estate would need to ensure the money would go to charity. I assume that's a main reason we haven't heard it yet.

will.i.am has worn down in his resistance over the years. He started off by saying he'd never release it, then he said that he would only release it if Katherine asked him to do so personally, then he attempted to get "I'm Dreamin'" onto his #willpower album in 2013 (which the Estate shot down).

Whilst I'm not convinced MJ thought in terms of "retirement", I don't necessarily believe he was planning a new album either. I think he associated albums with long touring, and promotion, and I think he'd had enough of that. I think any music he was making in his final years, was more for his own desire to create, rather than for a new album.

Who knows what would've transpired had MJ lived into 2016. I'm pretty sure eventually we might've had a new record from him. But I've always been sceptical about the work will.i.am and RedOne supposedly did with MJ. I mean, firstly, neither of them have shown the slightest bit of interest in handing over any tapes of their recordings to MJ's estate. And secondly, it would be in their interest to let people believe they worked with MJ, after all, it's a pretty impressive name to add to their CV. Do you really think will.i.am would come out and admit "nothing really came out of it, but it was great just to be with him in the studio"?

I'm not saying categorically that nothing was recorded with will.i.am (none of us know for sure), but I have a hunch that they didn't get much done together.

these are my exact points, and this is what I was pointing out

MJ wasn't making any more studio albums after Invincible, there was no doubt in my mind that wasn't going to be the case, that was it on that front, right along w/longstanding concert tours.

it's like you can retire from something in terms of being actively participated on the scale that you once used to be and still be involved in it in some capacity, a professional athlete comes to mind that would be a perfect example of that

when he worked with Gamble and Huff, that music was released because the music was there to be released, that's especially the case with Quincy Jones, same result with Teddy Riley, Bill Botrell, Dallas Austin, and Rodney Jerkins

If there was some music that was really there to be had featuring MJ and Will I Am, we would have heard it by now

If the work on Thriller25 was any indication of what MJ and Will would have sounded like I'm glad MJ decided not to release any of there other work. There are a few BEP song that are ok but the majority of them are not my cup of tea. Red one track may have been interesting but we may never know.

A lot of people thought David Bowie retired after his heart attack in 2004. A couple of live appearances.

Then nothing.

Then 2013 happened. The Next Day. Brand new album, complete surprise. First album in 10 years.

Released some singles. Made a few videos. No interviews. No performances. No appearances.

Then nothing.

Then 2015 happened. Blackstar. New single. New album. Both complete surprises again.

All on his own terms. What's to say Michael couldn't have done what he wanted when he wanted post 2009/10?

Yet, there are people here who seem to think they know everything. When I say people, I mean person.

giphy.gif

This one annoying user who thinks he/she knows everything has completely ruined this thread.

contrary to what was posted about trying to get a reaction, I'm strictly basing the trajectory of MJ's career exactly how it was playing out.

Thriller 25 was a given considering it was a commemoration of what the original album achieved back in the early 80s, that was a cinch

Number Ones was a compilation,

The Ultimate collection which was released a year after the Number Ones, that was another compilation

the releases you keep mentioning were contractual obligations

Back