Can't Let Her Get Away appreciation thread

'Can't Let Her Get Away' is not even a song that lyrically Michael Jackson was connected to it.

Actually, these new jack swing songs on that album (like 'Remember The Time', 'Can't Let Her Get Away', etc) are songs that lyrically are about a woman to whom Teddy Riley was attracted at that time.

That woman is American actress Salli Richardson, and she provided the inspiration for Teddy Riley to write these songs.

Salli Richardson was even in the studio with Teddy Riley everyday as he wrote and produced these songs for Michael Jackson.

"…'Do You Remember the time when we fell in love', 'I Can’t Let Her Get Away', 'She Drives Me Wild' … do you see how I’m cutting you off? She [Salli Richardson] was my inspiration!" (Teddy Riley, 2016)

This of course also means that Michael Jackson took undue songwriting credits (in terms of lyrics) for these songs, as confirmed by Teddy Riley in one of his other interviews.
Im not surprised Michael never wrote these songs lol :3 I admire his singing,dancing and showman qualities and talents,but him as a songwriter is always like a dreamy,tricky thing. For me its enough to have him as a great showman,who used to sing and dance even at the same time during the Bad Tour:D

Can’t Let Her Get Away has a nice funk sound to it and the baseline is absolute killer, but lyrically it leaves a lot to be desired.

It also baffles me that the Jacksons brothers decided to sing it live during the unity tour. I understand them wanting to sing a song by Michael, but why Can’t Let Her Get Away? It’s a non-single that Michael himself never performed live. So why did his brothers decide to perform it?

Can’t Let Her Get Away has a nice funk sound to it and the baseline is absolute killer, but lyrically it leaves a lot to be desired.

It also baffles me that the Jacksons brothers decided to sing it live during the unity tour. I understand them wanting to sing a song by Michael, but why Can’t Let Her Get Away? It’s a non-single that Michael himself never performed live. So why did his brothers decide to perform it?
Maybe because they simply liked it?Teddy Riley has given the song a kind of James Brown feeling to it (for me its kinda similar to James Brown's "S#x Machine").And James Brown being the huge inspiration that made Michael discovering his showman and dancing talents it's maybe another reason. I don't know anything for sure,just speculating:0

Maybe because they simply liked it?Teddy Riley has given the song a kind of James Brown feeling to it (for me its kinda similar to James Brown's "S#x Machine").And James Brown being the huge inspiration that made Michael discovering his showman and dancing talents it's maybe another reason. I don't know anything for sure,just speculating:0
It was weird choice to do it live. I bet most of the people who attended the show didn’t even know about the song and thought it was some new Jacksons track.

This of course also means that Michael Jackson took undue songwriting credits (in terms of lyrics) for these songs, as confirmed by Teddy Riley in one of his other interviews.
False. Just because Teddy’s inspiration for his parts of the lyrics or even the general concept of the song came from his attraction to that woman doesn’t mean that Michael didn’t contribute to the lyrics. Teddy never said this. There is proof that Michael did in fact write some of the lyrics for Remember The Time. Check out this thread:

https://www.mjjcommunity.com/threads/in-the-closet-apprecation.138595/page-4

It was never a single but did get airplay on R&B radio stations in the USA. I still hear Can’t Let Her Get Away occasionally on the local R&B oldies station today. Back in the 1970s & 1980s it was common for radio stations (in the USA) to play album tracks & B-sides of singles. Several B-side songs by Prince were played a lot like 17 Days & Erotic City. R&B stations also played The Lady In My Life, Baby Be Mine, She Drives Me Wild, Butterflies, This Time Around, & Heaven Can Wait. Also The Hurt from Victory & She from 2300 Jackson Street. Jermaine as a solo act was more popular on R&B radio, he didn't get a lot of crossover to pop radio. Marlon's single Don't Go made it to #2 on the R&B chart.

It just has to grow on you. Takes a bit more from the listener.
It's certainly not one of my favourites but I appreciate it a lot since I don't listen to it that often, so it's more fresh to me.
For me, it's a perfect background song when driving or doing stuff.

Love, Love, LOVE I Just Can’t Let Her Get Away. I always loved the funky beat, lyrics and Michael’s vocals.I think Michael’s American fans may appreciate it more than his European fans. That’s just MY opinion. I never skip this song. It makes me feel good and makes me want to dance. I’m so glad that it was included on the album.💕🔥❤️👏

I think Michael’s American fans may appreciate it more than his European fans.
Probably because New Jack Swing in general was really popular in the USA from the late 1980s to early 1990s. It was all over the radio, until it got oversaturated and died out around 1994 or 1995. I don't know if it was a big thing outside of the US. There were some UK acts who released New Jack Swing songs and/or albums. David Bowie did a song with Al B. Sure!, who was one of the more popular NJS singers. NJS was sort of an offspring of hip hop, which was starting to blow up in the mainstream in the mid-1980s. A few years ago, hip hop replaced rock n roll as the most popular genre in the US. Country music is probably 2nd.

Pupil Thriller : Relax Clown. We see you. And your ways.
You disqualified yourself already:
So many wrong statements.
And this:
"the track its horrible lol.maybe decent at best" <<< so what is it?? horrible or decent? LOL!
Your opinion not only lacks facts, but you also seem to not know how to express yourself properly. Try (or is it troll) again, baby. ;)

And mj-frenzy is at it again.. Oh boy, where to begin?? LOL!!!

Last edited:
And this:
"the track its horrible lol.maybe decent at best" <<< so what is it?? horrible or decent? LOL!
Your opinion not only lacks facts, but you also seem to not know how to express yourself properly. Try (or is it troll) again, baby. ;)

Amen!

Im not surprised Michael never wrote these songs lol :3 I admire his singing,dancing and showman qualities and talents,but him as a songwriter is always like a dreamy,tricky thing. For me its enough to have him as a great showman,who used to sing and dance even at the same time during bad tour 😀

Last edited:
I love this song, the strings in it are indeed devine, it's very minimal, a huge beat accented with some kind of a synth stabs and then just these lovely strings, Michael's vocals simply float over the foundations of the instrumental. It's a really fun one to dance to, cause the beats are intense, i can see why it not appeal to everyone if you just sit and listen to it, you've gotta move, feel the beat :)
I agree with you. Allow me to add the song "Can't Let Her Get Away" also has this DEEP MYSTERIOUS AURA:cool:

Last edited:
And this:

Relax yourself. No need to call someone a clown because they have different opinions.

Back