Controversial topic: Did Michael squander his talent in his latter years?

Did MJ waste his talent in his latter years?

• No, he worked from a kid, he deserved the break.

Votes: 70 66.7%
  • Yes, although I understand why he wanted to take a break.

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Yes, I think he became complacent and lacked motivation.

Votes: 9 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sometimes I wonder if people expected him to be standing on stage at the age of 80, grabbing his crotch?
I know that Michael Jackson would have been the last person on the planet to be sitting on a bar stool, accompanied of pictures of the Dangerous and HIStory tour.

I've heard a lot of commentators assume and project a 'fear of age' on him- but a lot of people didn't exactly help that, did they? Always digging up pictures of Thriller times. Always bemoaning 'how much' he changed- yet when he did change, a lot of people seemed to have issues with it. How often did he have to say that he wanted to move into movies? How many people are mentally stuck on "Thriller" and "sold copies", as if this number of sales (that of course is phenomenal) was the only measurement of creativity and talent.

Seems to me like certain people have more issues with their own expectations, than with him actually. He wanted ballet lessons with his daughter, signed up for art history courses, wanted to do movies. His creativity always found outlets. An artist doesn't have an 'obligation to the world', only an obligation to himself/herself to be who they truly are. And if anyone dared to be himself, it's Michael Jackson. His 50% are other people's 200%.

I find it rather patronizing to speak about Michael squandering his talent- the guy accomplished so much in 50 years, that other people don't accomplish in 3 lives. I would like to ask anyone who thinks he 'squandered' his talent to please write just a few melodies that are not only recognized all over this planet, but that are also much beloved.

Then please overcome a few physical ailments and all the adversity he faced.

I'll stop because I get rather upset how somebody would accuse Michael (of all people!!) to have wasted his talent.

EXACTLY! When I learned he was going back on tour, I went Uh, oh...here we go. This is going to end badly.

Great post by Pace. And no, Michael didn't waste his talent by any means, as others said, not only was he always working, but he didn't have an obligation to us to continue to release music and tour. I would've very much preferred if he had never agreed to the O2 shows and just did what he initially wanted to do (move into movies). Besides artists like Michael deserve to take a step back, when they already made a name for themselves in history, and Michael and his talents became an eternal part of history before he was even 30.

^Very true, but I'm still glad he went on after thirty though. I can't imagine Michael history without his nineties achievements. Because he suprised everyone and topped himself over and over again, people came to expect more and more of him. And he sort of did feed into this by saying things like 'you ain't seen nothing yet'. But I agree, he should not have felt this pressure and just relax a bit. It would have kept him here longer, I'm afraid.

I just find this thread to be offensive. Michael Jackson? Waste? Where have you been?

I shall repost what I posted many days back because everytime I see this thread "It makes me wanna SCREAM"!!!

I'm truely astonished that someone would even ask 'that' kind of question or think on those lines, i.e., the topic of this thread!

Michael Jackson DID NOT waste ONE BIT of his talent or his special gifts EVER, and I do not just mean as the most extraordinary, divinely talented, creative genius, but also as one of the greatest, most generous, committed humanitarians and the most beautiful human being that he continued to be TILL THE VERY END!

As a child, Michael realized that he was supremely talented, that "music came out" when he opened his mouth, but he never took this special ability for granted. Even as a little child, he understood that he had a grander purpose than just to use that talent to sell millions of records and make and break many world records along the way. He knew he was here for a far loftier purpose, and he NEVER LET GO of that mighty purpose, even though it cost him his life eventually. Michael Jackson's real and true purpose was to be a messenger of God and His goodness and he took this mission seriously, and inspired many of us from across the world to do the same in our own little ways. He knew his "God-given" talent was to be "trained and cultivated", honed, polished, nurtured for it was the means by which he could accomlish his grand purpose---of uniting people of the world, of helping and healing our palnet and "put some L.O.V.E. back in this world". Throughout his life, his goodness, his graciousness, his innocence was taken advantage of, he knew it, he had that wisdom, and yet he gave ALL he had- His talent, time, resources to make this world a better place, and he did succeed in blessing us and this world in ways no one else has. Millions of people around the world have been inspired by his greatness and goodness both as an exceptional artist and human being, to mould our lives around the virtues he taught us by living them out himself, and by inspiring us to be the best we could be. And we are here to take his message forward to the new generations. We are here now, just as we were here then for him, dedicating ourselves to the L.O.V.E he gave us, and taught us to be.

NONE of us could have survived the endless pain, anguish, heartache he had to suffer almost all his life, and yet he continued to create, L.O.V.E., bless, heal, forgive. He continued to challenge himself, setting milestones, mesmerizing us all and despite being torn apart by the evil in this world over and over and over again, was willing to give this world another chance. He was still willing to give us his all with those O2 performances...he was still willing to hope for this hopeless world that never truly deserved him in the first place...

In the midst of all the darkness that was trying to dim his Light, he continued shining with all his might...all because he continued being true to himself, continued giving us ALL he had, untill he could no more, and God called him Home.

I have said this before, and I shall say this again..
Michael,
You did the best you could, you lived the best you could my darling...and your absolute goodness, resilience, compassion, graciousness, courage, honesty, integrity are a shining example for all of us! Future generations will love, honour and thank you for being the Light that you've always been, and continue to be for all times...

Thankyou forever for your beautiful life sweetest one...we are and shall forever be proud of you!

I can see why Michael decided to take a break, it wouldn't be fair for him to be constantly working and neglect his kids. It seems enough isn't enough for some people when it comes to MJ's Music

He didn't waste his talent in his latter years, he couldn't be bothered to use it, simple. For whatever reasons that isn't the issue.

Invincible 2001
TUC 2004?
trial
2007 Sony said his songs wasn´t radio-friendly enough, I guess it means he was working on an album
Songs were leaked and Michael asked fans not to listen to them ,but they didn´t listen.We don´t know what would have happened if the songs weren´t leaked

He was working on songs with other artists/producers
He made music for an classical album, videogames

We don´t know how much he did.Maybe he was working on ideas for movies
Thriller 2008
This is it 2009 and plans for albums

Was was very busy, he was making, creating, looking after, attending awards.

I am still happy how he left us, a legacy of music, the energy of his soul.

Just amazing, and we still have more to come!

He gave us over 40years of music and still, music is being released. Nobody can accuse Michael Jackson of wasting his talent or being lazy because in music history, nobody achieved like Michael Jackson. He sweated blood to go from Gary to History.

He's more than a man could be.

Some fans think that Michael owe them something, well he didn't. He was a human being after all and he deserved a break. He went through hell since 1993 and after 2003 it was worse..so I think we can understand. Michael was also busy with the kids. And lets not forget that the man was a perfectionist!

No, he didn't waste his talent in his later years. He did deserve a break, though, because he had kids and wanted to spend time being a father before going back in the spotlight. How would you feel if you had a father that you never saw because he was working every day or probably coming home late at night? So, no, Michael didn't waste one bit on his talent.

Interesting topic.

I don't think he exactly utilised his talent to it's maximum potential from 98-09. I think he knew he'd reached his peak by that time and was happy to take a step back.

It was frustrating watching his peers continue to tour and record new music on a regular basis whilst Michael just turned up at the occasional award show to accept his gazillionth lifetime achievement award. But I respect that Michael had a lifetime of it and the same cannot be said for Prince or Madonna.

Agreed 100% with this. I couldn't have got my own thoughts out better than that

Just further to that .. I think it was more frustrating (as MattyJam said) for me because I wanted to hear new music, watch him perform etc. But that's just me being greedy for more of Michaels talent. I 100% understand why he took the time away that he did, and all that he went through. He deserved to do whatever the hell he wanted to do

I voted that Michael did not squander his talent in his latter years as I dont believe he did:no:

I totally agree with you...I didn't vote because this option is not in the poll...it should be introduced...

If he had wanted to make his "comeback" before 2009 he did. But I don't think he wanted. He wanted time with his children and time to relaxe. - But he never stopped writting music, and we also know for sure he recorded lots of music from 2005-2009.

There were many music event he could have participated in. Earth concert or what it was called. - The concert for Princess Diana. - The Live Aid. and more.

But since he wanted time with his children and time to write and recdord music and then come back with a huge concert (This Is It) I don't think he wasted any talent, he polished it and made sure the time was right. - And as he said himself he never stoppede making music. (only it wasn't released)

Had MJ released an album prior to the TII concert I don't think it would have gotten much attention. But after TII MJ would have been back on top, and the album released after or in the middle of the concert series would have gained super attention. - So maybe MJ wanted to take advantage of the regained popularity and attention the TII tour would have given him.

Back