Dating Within the MJ Community

This is a great thread! So I'm dating this guy who is a wonderful person to be around, and he even reminds me of Michael in little ways sometimes. But to be honest, I really haven't confessed the extend of my love for Michael to him yet. My boyfriend knows that I love MJ's music, but he isn't aware that it's SO much more than that. I'm not really sure how to even bring this up in a conversation... :hysterical: Michael is such a huge part of my life and who I am, and I just don't know how to explain it to him without sounding nuts! Any advice would be so helpful! LOL and the worst part is i'm not even sure how he feels about MJ. I'm ashamed that I haven't discussed this with him yet :sorry: This is my first serious relationship and I've just been lost for words on how to explain this fandom to him! :bugeyed

Well, everyone's situation is different so there's really no "one size fits all" answer or methodology lol. But for me personally, I've made the conscious decision to not discuss Michael (in-depth) with anyone but other fans. I decided this because I was tired of feeling anxious about how new people in my life (new friends or love interests) would take it, or if they'd understand. I've also had a few "friends" that I was really cool with for several months, start to act weird around me and even took it to the extent of making fun of me behind my back with others in our workplace; all because I wanted to share this valuable part of myself with people that I thought I could trust in the name of strengthening our friendship. I'm not a high schooler mind you lol, and I have ZERO tolerance for teasing or giggling and pointing at people or any immature garbage of the sort. I'm a grown a-- woman now, and I didn't do/take that when I WAS in high school lol, certainly not gonna tolerate it now.

My current bf is that last one that I told, I gave him the rough overview version tho lol, and I only told him because we started getting serious and I didn't want uncomfortable questions to start popping up about some of the items on display in my bedroom lol. I still haven't told him about everything and I don't think I plan to lol, he just knows that I'm a big fan and most of my friends are fans too. I once tried to talk to him about how deep of a fan I am and the conversation got very awkward. He wasn't mean about it, but he didn't understand it and though it wasn't said outright, he let on that he thought that I was wasting my time and energy for a stupid reason. The conversation got very uncomfortable for me and my feelings were more hurt by his reaction than I showed. He has since softened to my fan-ness lol, I think he sees that I'm still the same girl he fell in love with and that I'm not "crazy" (well everyone is crazy, but I'm you're normal brand of crazy lol), but I still won't talk about Michael unless he brings it up, and if it's brought up, it's about music/music business stuff in general. I told myself that that would be the last time I opened up when it came to Michael. Michael would be just for me.

All that said, I don't want what I've said to persuade you against what you personally may/may not be feeling. If you feel it's important to you to be completely transparent and forthcoming about all aspects of your life in regards to MJ and your romantic life, then I salute you lol, your spirit is heartier than mine these days lol. If you decide to tell him, you've got 1:4 odds. Your guy will either be totally understanding and supportive, be curious about it and possibly become a fan too, not get it but shrug it off as just being another part of you, or lastly not understand/outright dislike it and be a prick about it. Any of the four are possible realistic reactions. The outcome that you think is the most likely depends on your guy's personality.

I would actually really love to be open about it and share this precious piece of me with everyone in my life. But now, how people may or may not receive it just isn't worth the hassle anymore. If I'm asked about MJ, I'll answer, but my answers are purposefully very brief, unemotional and general; I don't volunteer that part of myself out anymore. Should you decide to tell him, good luck and I hope that he's warm and understanding about it. :flowers:

PurdyYungThang84- Thanks very much! It's helpful to hear other's views and opinions on this matter :) It's comforting to hear that other fans have this conflict as well :p I've been with this guy for less than 9 months right now, so I'm hoping that over time I'll be more comfortable to really discuss this with him fully. I've been waiting for Michael to magically come up in conversation lol. But for now, I agree with what you said about not really discussing Michael in depth with non-fans. It can hard to deal with people's reactions to something we love so dearly. Anyways, thanks again! I found your words very useful. :D

I'm single,and I have yet to find someone whose gay/bisexual living in my city and is as dedicated of an MJ fan as I am.
6o1.gif

Oh well.

I'm single,and I have yet to find someone whose gay/bisexual living in my city and is as dedicated of an MJ fan as I am.
6o1.gif

Oh well.
Stranger things have happened lol. I know a few hardcore MJ fan lesbian couples, so it's not as rare an occurrence as you may think.

The way I see it, there are serial killers that have found someone to love them lol, there's literally someone for everyone out there lol. Forums like this are great for networking; at least you know you have MJ in common with the members. Just keep your heart open to the possibility.

PurdyYungThang84- Thanks very much! It's helpful to hear other's views and opinions on this matter :) It's comforting to hear that other fans have this conflict as well :p I've been with this guy for less than 9 months right now, so I'm hoping that over time I'll be more comfortable to really discuss this with him fully. I've been waiting for Michael to magically come up in conversation lol. But for now, I agree with what you said about not really discussing Michael in depth with non-fans. It can hard to deal with people's reactions to something we love so dearly. Anyways, thanks again! I found your words very useful. :D
You're very welcome! :D I can deal with strangers' nasty reactions much better, cuz at this point, I've heard every hurtful comment/distasteful joke that there is lol; that sort of stuff rolls off of me like water off a duck's back. But when it comes from someone I care about or I'm emotionally invested in, it feels like a personal attack and I get super defensive and protective. Ah the woes of MJ fandom lol.

Stranger things have happened lol. I know a few hardcore MJ fan lesbian couples, so it's not as rare an occurrence as you may think.

The way I see it, there are serial killers that have found someone to love them lol, there's literally someone for everyone out there lol. Forums like this are great for networking; at least you know you have MJ in common with the members. Just keep your heart open to the possibility.

I would like to date a girl who is a MJ fan! :)
It would be cool to share some MJ moments! haha
Ive been single all my life :( (I'm 21 in July lol) In my "area" there is like NO girls my age who is a fan... Where are YOU girls!? haha ;)

I'm 15 about to be 16 in another 11 months and I still haven't found a good person that could be a potential boyfriend. Maybe it's because they're not really fans. I always made that promise of no matter who I end up with, they were gonna be just as much a fan as me. Just so we can sit up all night and have those special things where we talk about Michael and understand each other--and not feel all awkward. :blush: I'll be waiting.. lol

I would like to date a girl who is a MJ fan! :)
It would be cool to share some MJ moments! haha
Ive been single all my life :( (I'm 21 in July lol) In my "area" there is like NO girls my age who is a fan... Where are YOU girls!? haha ;)

Don't feel bad boy, I've been single all my life as well. The difference is that I turn 28 next month... :beee:
If only I met a guy who were atheist/secular humanist or at least agnostic and respected my love for Michael, that'd be great!

I dont think it s good to date another MJ fan. fan compete with each other about MJ....
When you date a non MJ fan its what make you different. The girl will always say to her friend that you are a MJ fan and deep inside they ll find this cute.

I'd love nothing more than to be in a relationship with a fellow Michael fan. A match made in heaven!! ? I've adored him for over 40 years and have yet to find my MJ Braveheart.....
L.O.V.E.

I've always wanted this
Let's bump this ?

Last edited:
When I was trying a dating site a while back, I'd try to search for girls who were Michael fans but nothing ever came of that. Maybe we just need a Michael Jackson dating site.

I dont think it s good to date another MJ fan. fan compete with each other about MJ....
When you date a non MJ fan its what make you different. The girl will always say to her friend that you are a MJ fan and deep inside they ll find this cute.

Do you see it like this? Ok fair enough your view.
Yet I think it wouldn't be about competing though .. It's about understanding, surely?
I embrace the idea aww it might be quite sweet. ???

I can't lie, it's a tempting idea!

On the one hand, I don't mind if my date isn't a fan, but I cannot date someone who hates him. However, as time goes on, I find I get more involved and passionate about it - and let's face it, for us it is a subculture and experience beyond normal fanship of other musicians or entertainers. It borders on religion (not like Michael is a god, but just the involvement I guess) which is pretty important when matching someone.

Makes it all the harder when I'm a lesbian lol. But to be fair I do happen to find a TON of lesbians who are big fans. Yay!

When I was trying a dating site a while back, I'd try to search for girls who were Michael fans but nothing ever came of that. Maybe we just need a Michael Jackson dating site.

I really like that idea. I would go for the MJ Dating site.

I'll just say this.... A lot of issues can later arise after the love of something that two people share becomes explored.

or example, two people share a love for fitness, they bond at first because of it and once that settles.. Then reality sits in, well ok.. Aside from that we are very different people... I think it can be beautiful to share a common interest but its very easy to be blinded by that - ignoring challenges that could come down the road.

This looks like a nice idea....But dating isn't my thing and I am single and will always be single.

I wanted MIKE, not some other dude, bahahahahaha! :blush:

That said, it really doesn't matter to me if a man I choose to date likes Mike or his music. What I won't tolerate is the dude I'm with talking sh*t about or disrespecting Mike.

Last edited:
I wanted MIKE, not some other dude, bahahahahaha! :blush:

That said, it really doesn't matter to me if a man I choose to date likes Mike or his music. What I won't tolerate is the dude I'm with talking sh*t about or disrespecting Mike.

Amen. If any woman I would date says crap about Michael or reveal hatred towards him, she's out of my life. I too refuse to tolerate it.

My girlfriend... well, fiancee now (still getting used to calling her that, lol) is very supportive of my appreciation for Michael. She was even open enough to watch the Oprah interview when I asked her, which IMO effectively tackles a lot of the preconceptions most people have, and shows Michael's soul in a nutshell. Might convert her eventually... :D

I think if someone is not open-minded with what you have to say about anything really, then I think there might be a problem that should be addressed :/

EDIT: It honestly doesn't matter whether or not she/he is a fan, if she/he respects your interests and hobbies, and supports whatever you do in life, go for it :) If there's anything I have learned from Michael, it's that you should search within and be happy with yourself first, and your own goals in life. Michael's work/spirit is a part of yourself, not all of it; meeting an MJ fan would just be a nice bonus :)

Last edited:
Back