Dissecting Fandom

Re: Dissecting Fandom - What MY take of it is...

Some wonder what MJ's appeal is. Let me explain this in my own words...

The appeal of MJ goes far beyond the music. It touches you on a human level. He is such a humanitarian, and I look up to that so much. He has been hurt and betrayed a lot, and that is another reason why he appeals to me.

You see, when I was young, I was teased, ridiculed, humiliated and harrassednon-stop for about 8-9 years during my time in grade school...for this reason, MJ appeals to me, cause I felt like I was robbed of feeling good about those years of my life. One day, the WHOLE BUS decided to pick on me, pushing me and verbally abusing me, INCLUDING THE SCHOOL BUS DRIVER!!

It got to the boiling point one day when I was in school. I got excused from class to go to the bathroom..I was about 12 or 13 at the time. Well, this one girl (the chief instigator all along) got wind of that, and she and her girlfriend posse followed me in. I was already in one stall, with my panties down at my ankles doing my personal business. Well, SHE decided right then and there to try to open the stall door by kicking it!! My God, I couldn't even go to the BATHROOM alone!! She kicked the door open, and I just saw her and then I saw red. I calmly wiped myself, put back on my personal clothing, straightened up, then proceeded to WIPE the FLOOR with her. I think I cold-cocked her. It was scary, I was that mad. I even entertained thoughts of KILLING her, I was that angry. HOW DARE SHE INVADE MY PRIVACY LIKE THIS?

I left her in a heap on the bathroom floor, with her little girlfriend posse fawning over her saying "Poor Baby"...I just wanted to VOMIT on her at that point. I then went to the sink, calmly washed my hands (as calmly as I could, I was trembling uncontrollably - tried to keep my tears at bay...) and looked down at her and said "Number one, Do NOT EVER harrass me ever again, do you hear me AND Number TWO, IF you want to CONTINUE this little fight, we can meet after school - I'll FINISH THE JOB - COUNT ON IT!"

I went back to class, trembling and trying hard not to cry. It really irritated and hurt me that I had to hurt someone like that to get them to stop the harrassment. I didn't feel that I should have been pushed into doing something like that. It was depressing. I hate hurting ANYONE. And I did NOT like the idea of feeling out of control like that.

Yeah, it happened a long time ago - but I just wanted to share. Sharing makes the hurt less unbearable. I am 49 years old now, and I still think about all of that harrassment and humiliation even to this day...

But getting back to the topic at hand, and that is, why is there such an appeal to Michael Jackson? I think it has to do a lot with fans finding some bit of his persona that they can identify with. For some, it is the black heritage. For others, it is the outcast, the misfit. For even others, it is identifying with their inner child. Whatever the reason, you will find every fan has a good one. That is my personal opinion. Just the other day, I got a personal message from a fan who has cerebral palsy. Not only does this fan identify with MJ with regards to being a "misfit", but also on a social outcast level too.

MJ has many wonderful, fantastic, devoted fans...each one has their own personal reason why they adore him. Michael Jackson hits you in a visceral level....down to the very pit of your soul. If you love the music, you start looking past that and find a very deep connection with the man..It would be very interesting to one day try to meet as many fans as possible, and compile this list of the special qualities that Michael Jackson possesses that keeps fans loyal and enduring...

Michael, If you are coming across my blog, you definitely need to remember these two quotes...I know I do...
My mother taught me such an important lesson while I was growing up and having to endure teasing and humiliation...she said "Sticks and Stones will Break My Bones, but Names Will Never Hurt Me"....I still live by that credo even today...take care!

Remember that famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche - LOVE reading him...he has such great quotes...):

"That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

and THAT is so true also!

This is on my blog...and remember, these are my own personal insights as to why fans are fans....I do not consider MJ to be some sort of deity...I just identify with several parts of his public persona....and of course, I know nothing about him personally...just what I have seen and heard..

this is a wonderful observation. i think that the idea that people would think that other fans treat MJ as a god, is ludicrous, and based on envy that he is so loved. i mean.. lindsay lohan called him a god, but if he really acted like he was god, don't u think lindsay would be the first to think something was hella wrong with him? i think so. i think that she just used an expression to compliment how talented he is. but the spirit behind it clearly states that lindsay would have a problem with him acting like he's greater than all humankind. so would all these peeps who use that expression. now...i know there are some people who do think he is a true god...but those are few and far between. a lot of those people don't even believe in religion, so they're not gunna claim anyone to be a god..but...i digress...i think a lot of people in the media and in jealous circles who built him up to tear him down, are having a problem with the fact that he has such a longstanding loyal fanbase, and they appease themselves by accusing them of making a god out of mj, when they know, full well, that mj represents someone who has traits that they can relate to, and they embrace that....plus in a world of terrible things..he occupies space to do goodwill. and the fanbase loves that. that is all...along with his immense talent. and yes..the persecutory aspect...but...i disagree about words...and i think that's why they embrace him so... tho there are those who don't bellieve the bible..i think they will agree with something that it says...'life and death are on the tongue'...in reality, words DO hurt. words cause wars. may i reach a little and say that your need to cold cock that girl is partly based on an accumulation over a long time period, which included the use of negative verbiage. your reaction is tame compared to the guns that kids use today to retaliate to a long term buildup which includes devastating verbiage. i dare say, that some people can take a punch in the face more than they can take someone talking about their mother, for example. because of that...fans love MJ for going thru what he went thru, including the harsh destructive verbiage. indeed, like u said..it's visceral.. it's intense...and envious people want to put a negative light on it, to make themselves feel better..so, they 'mistake' it for worship.

Re: Dissecting Fandom - What MY take of it is...

this is a wonderful observation. i think that the idea that people would think that other fans treat MJ as a god, is ludicrous, and based on envy that he is so loved. i mean.. lindsay lohan called him a god, but if he really acted like he was god, don't u think lindsay would be the first to think something was hella wrong with him? i think so. i think that she just used an expression to compliment how talented he is. but the spirit behind it clearly states that lindsay would have a problem with him acting like he's greater than all humankind. so would all these peeps who use that expression. now...i know there are some people who do think he is a true god...but those are few and far between. a lot of those people don't even believe in religion, so they're not gunna claim anyone to be a god..but...i digress...i think a lot of people in the media and in jealous circles who built him up to tear him down, are having a problem with the fact that he has such a longstanding loyal fanbase, and they appease themselves by accusing them of making a god out of mj, when they know, full well, that mj represents someone who has traits that they can relate to, and they embrace that....plus in a world of terrible things..he occupies space to do goodwill. and the fanbase loves that. that is all...along with his immense talent. and yes..the persecutory aspect...but...i disagree about words...and i think that's why they embrace him so... tho there are those who don't bellieve the bible..i think they will agree with something that it says...'life and death are on the tongue'...in reality, words DO hurt. words cause wars. may i reach a little and say that your need to cold cock that girl is partly based on an accumulation over a long time period, which included the use of negative verbiage. your reaction is tame compared to the guns that kids use today to retaliate to a long term buildup which includes devastating verbiage. i dare say, that some people can take a punch in the face more than they can take someone talking about their mother, for example. because of that...fans love MJ for going thru what he went thru, including the harsh destructive verbiage. indeed, like u said..it's visceral.. it's intense...and envious people want to put a negative light on it, to make themselves feel better..so, they 'mistake' it for worship.

Yeah. It was pretty bad...I was feeling some pretty intense hatred for that girl...and I hated that feeling. I want to love and respect others, and I want them to do the same to me. It is the "Golden Rule" is it not? So that is why I identify with MJ. He believed (and probably STILL believes) in the Golden Rule, yet he just gets crap.

The love is visceral (meaning natural, instinctive) and intense. And some can go overboard with their fandom....and that is not good.

im feeling the last one, its sounds beautiful, i beleive mj is partly the reason for me seein the world better than i used to, and for treated people with more respect.

thanks. Jackiex

Not only does this fan identify with MJ with regards to being a "misfit", but also on a social outcast level too.

- mj anit a mis-fit!!!!!!!!! wot r u on

Not only does this fan identify with MJ with regards to being a "misfit", but also on a social outcast level too.

- mj anit a mis-fit!!!!!!!!! wot r u on

You are right MJ is not a misfit. It's just all of the harrassment he has been getting...I feel for him..

Back