Do you consider Michael to be an official Michael Jackson album?

Still gotta say thought that I enjoy many of the songs and most of the producers did a bang up good job. "Best of Joy" is freaking gorgeous!

This is an interesting question. I feel that Invincible was the last Michael Jackson album. Michael wasn't finished by him. It was a glimpse of the different things he was doing. Who knows what he would have picked himself. I think it's something to learn from for any future projects.

Of course not. It's the same as a compilation in my eyes.

Maybe if I could see that it contained much of MJ's vision, I might change my mind.

As others have said, it feels like a compilation. It always will be from now on. Every song, video or album will never be how he envisioned it. Unless something was left 100% completed, ready for the public.

I m not really satisfied wt the album but it's by michael anyway, so i still consider it as an official one..
btw, does anyone know abt the long-term project Sony intends 2 do?

For me "Invincible" was and always will be Michael's last album... anything else is just bonus material for me! To be honest the "Michael" album had lots of problems to my eyes (which i'm not gonna even get to right now hehe) ...but ironically enough "Best Of Joy" is one of my all time favorite songs from MJ, it represents so much to me and makes me feel quite emotional in a good way everytime I hear it, so it's not all bad for new releases to come through, but it will never take the place of Michael's true finalized work done in his own hands.

In my mind, Official means "approved by the artist" - and thats not a possibility anymore

For me "Invincible" was and always will be Michael's last album... anything else is just bonus material for me! To be honest the "Michael" album had lots of problems to my eyes (which i'm not gonna even get to right now hehe) ...but ironically enough "Best Of Joy" is one of my all time favorite songs from MJ, it represents so much to me and makes me feel quite emotional in a good way everytime I hear it, so it's not all bad for new releases to come through, but it will never take the place of Michael's true finalized work done in his own hands.

I so agree with that. It's so appropriate that "Best Of Joy" was one of the last songs that he ever recorded. It perfectly sums up the beauty, wonder, kindheartedness and innocence that was Michael Jackson.

I don't consider it a studio album but yes, I consider it an official compilation album of unreleased songs. Lets face it, Sony were promoting it as Michael's next studio album, and that is exactly what I was expecting before the tracklist was released. From 06-09 we heard so much about Michael recording new music and I expected the new album to be just that, songs Michael recorded specifically for his next album.

sure, but Monster, Keep Your Head Up.... I don´t like them.
Breaking news is a good song, but is not Michael

No, I don't consider it a true MJ album.
Some of the songs are finished very nicely (e.g. Best Of Joy) and if all the songs were up to that quality then maybe I would consider 'Michael' to be an official Michael Jackson album.
However, the ludicrous decision to include the Cascio tracks just ruined the whole album for me. Unfortunately Mike didn't really complete much in his last years and so the 'vast' legacy of unreleased music he was reported to have left doesn't exist. Things aren't going to get any better in the future and the public seem to have completely lost interest in MJ unreleased music. I put the blame on Sony's shoulders - their decision to include the Cascio tracks and the subsequent (justified) backlash from the family and fans killed the project. I doubt the general public will ever regain any significant level of interest unless somebody can put together a catchy dance track like the 'A Little Less Conversation' remix by JXL(?) a few years ago.
It wouldn't be truely 'MJ' but it would be nice to hear MJ vocals on pop radio all the time like in the old days.

No............

Michael would of never wanted to his fans to hear the Cascio rubbish...........

........it's a shame because Behind The Mask is a classic!!!!

No, I don't consider it a true MJ album.
Some of the songs are finished very nicely (e.g. Best Of Joy) and if all the songs were up to that quality then maybe I would consider 'Michael' to be an official Michael Jackson album.
However, the ludicrous decision to include the Cascio tracks just ruined the whole album for me. Unfortunately Mike didn't really complete much in his last years and so the 'vast' legacy of unreleased music he was reported to have left doesn't exist. Things aren't going to get any better in the future and the public seem to have completely lost interest in MJ unreleased music. I put the blame on Sony's shoulders - their decision to include the Cascio tracks and the subsequent (justified) backlash from the family and fans killed the project. I doubt the general public will ever regain any significant level of interest unless somebody can put together a catchy dance track like the 'A Little Less Conversation' remix by JXL(?) a few years ago.
It wouldn't be truely 'MJ' but it would be nice to hear MJ vocals on pop radio all the time like in the old days.

In ten, twenty years' time, when most of his latest music will have been released, you will see you were wrong. He did record enough material in the last decade for an 15 track album, an album that would be as good as any of his other solo LPs. I do not claim to be an insider, even though I've heard a few unreleased and unleaked recent tracks... that's just how it is. You'll see that the Estate fucked this up even more than you imagined.
Of coure there's not enough material for dozens of albums, there are no hundreds of songs as have been reported by the tabloids. However, there was enough brilliant work for this project, and it's just a shame it was handled the way it was.

There was no album completed by Michael himself, but all that was needed was a person with some common sense and creativity to make one.

I'll borrow the words of another : I guess it's a Michael Jackson album, it's not Michael Jackson's album. I dont consider it part of his legacy personally. On the other hand, an album of raw demos, I would.

Officially no, does it contain parts of michaels work yes!
Would michael have released this No - but that does not mean i have not been getting enjoyment listening to the parts he created!!!

In ten, twenty years' time, when most of his latest music will have been released, you will see you were wrong. He did record enough material in the last decade for an 15 track album, an album that would be as good as any of his other solo LPs. I do not claim to be an insider, even though I've heard a few unreleased and unleaked recent tracks... that's just how it is. You'll see that the Estate fucked this up even more than you imagined.
Of coure there's not enough material for dozens of albums, there are no hundreds of songs as have been reported by the tabloids. However, there was enough brilliant work for this project, and it's just a shame it was handled the way it was.

There was no album completed by Michael himself, but all that was needed was a person with some common sense and creativity to make one.

Agreed with everything you said. :clapping::clapping:

its offical however at best its a bunch of b sides and outtakes and nothing on here is seeing "sunset driver" or the way that you love me.

they goofed "behind the mask" imo which should have stayed with the more early 80's vibe

mj wouldn't have put 7 or 8 of these songs imo

depends what u mean by offical do u count greatest hits as offical say like the spin off from history when they releasesd the g.hits section as an album in its own right. its offical interms of it coming from mj ie his estate but its not an album i'd put along side mjs own albums cause he didnt create it

I don't. Any albums that are released now are just posthumous albums to me. Don't get me wrong i'm interested in hearing new MJ music but for me the last official album will always be Invincible

Same here. Anything released without Michael's authorization is not official as far as i'm concerned.

Back