Documentation of Michael Jackson's Dance Style

ShineGloveShine

Proud Member
Michael Jackson, one of the pinnacle and greatest dancers of all time, and one of the greatest entertainers in the world. A man that created his own type of dance style and incorporated dance moves from dances such as Jazz, Tap, Popping, Locking, Hip-Hop, Mime and Ballroom dance. A type of freestyle that many dancers have been inspired by Michael to do, and to dance like him for some would be a dream come true.

Videos of Style's That Michael Has Used
Salsa:
Blood on the Dance Floor

Jazz:
Billie Jean
The Way You Make Me Feel
Beat It
Smooth Criminal

Pop/Lock:
Billie Jean
2 Bad/Ghosts
Thriller
Dirty Diana
Bad
Smooth Criminal
Remember the Time

Tap:
Billie Jean
Black or White - Panther Dance
Smooth Criminal

All others were basically Michael's own type of style, it's a shame there is no specific name given to it... all it is referred to is "Michael Jackson Dance" or "Style".

Michael's Teachers
One of Michael's most notable teachers would be streetdancer Bruno "Pop N' Taco" Falcon, Falcon had worked with Michael on works such as Ghosts, and him teaching general dance moves to Michael such as the "King Cobra" and general popping. Bruno had also choreographed Captain Eo along with "Poppin' Pete".

Cooley Jaxson Teaching the Backslide/Moonwalk:
[youtube]lIaLkKHxm9Q[/youtube]

[youtube]-5zbfO_4R6o[/youtube]

[youtube]BVrWDPi12zE[/youtube]
Moonwalk/Backslide at 0:16.

[youtube]-lewtdcVeKQ[/youtube]
I think he takes a lil' bit too much credit, but he did definitely teach Mike some moves.

Michael Dancing During The Time With The Jacksons:
[youtube]90qR3OmHTxQ[/youtube]
[youtube]2Uc0plr-tiU[/youtube]
[youtube]tICestGPPbs[/youtube]
[youtube]lD2OsUcgb00[/youtube]

How Michael's Dancing Had Hit Mainstream:
Michael Jackson first took his own unique style into his performances of Billie Jean, during Motown 25 Michael Jackson took it to the mainstream with his slick dance moves and infamous moonwalk. A glide that was first taught to Michael by Derek 'Cooley' Jaxson and Geron 'Casper' Candidate, 2 streetdancers who were streetdancers for a number of years, however at first; Michael wanted Jeffrey to teach him, however he was busy in Europe with Shalamar at the time, and instead, sent Derek and Geron to help Michael with the moonwalk/backslide. Michael had learnt that backslide a number of years before Motown 25, but was waiting for the right moment to use it. Others who had "allegedly" showed Michael the moonwalk are dancers such as: Michael "Boogalo Shrimp" Chambers. Michael had of course also danced during The Jackson 5 and The Jacksons during their variety show, although Michael was definitely known everywhere for his dancing in the 80s.

A quote from Michael on what he was going to do on Motown 25:
"But the night before the taping, I still had no idea what I was going to do with my solo number. So I went down to the kitchen of our house and played "Billie Jean." Loud. I was in there by myself, the night before the show, and I pretty much stood there and let the song tell me what to do. I kind of let the dance create itself. I really let it talk to me; I heard the beat come in, and I took this spy's hat and started to pose and step, letting the "Billie Jean" rhythm create the movements. I felt almost compelled to let it create itself. I couldn't help it. And that -- being able to "step back" and let the dance come through -- was a lot of fun.

I had also been practicing certain steps and movements, although most of the performance was actually spontaneous. I had been practicing the Moonwalk for some time, and it dawned on me in our kitchen that I would finally do the Moonwalk in public on Motown 25."

Michael practicing his Billie Jean moves:
[youtube]lbtWB4PqjZA[/youtube]

[youtube]1_oNEi6H-Jw[/youtube]

Dance Tutorials:
One:
"Secrets of Moonwalk". The main choreographer and dancer is a talented man named Ramady.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/secretsofmoonwalk

Second would be another talented dancer named Adam on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mjcldplyrw

Tip: For the sake of your own mind, please always do it the opposite way as it is on videos, so if it is something you are watching on the screen and Michael or a teacher does it with the right on the screen, it is your left. I remember for a looong time I did something wrong with this.

Michael's Influences:
Michael had many influences, mainly entertainers as he had put it.
Entertainers such as James Brown, Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Sammy Davies Jr., Jackie Wilson, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Frank Sinatra and Bob Fosse... although Michael has ALWAYS listed James Brown as his greatest inspiration, you can see this video on how Michael had incorporated his dance with some of James' moves:
[youtube]rD-4CDVcjCc[/youtube]
[youtube]Zdz88MBWomo[/youtube]

and of course Bob Fosse!:
[youtube]eUTEhEPONgc[/youtube]

Have something to contribute to his style of dance? Feel free to post, I'll add it in.

CONTRIBUTORS:
Jabz - For the information on how Michael learnt the moonwalk through Derek 'Cooley' Jaxson and Geron 'Casper' Candidate, and as well as bringing Bob Fosse to my attention as definitely one of Michael's influences.
tricia70 and Arklove - Confirming the ballet in The Way You Make Me Feel; as well as Arklove introducing a new influence that Michael had: Mikhail Baryshnikov.
windy09 and Jabz - Michael's influence with Frank Sinatra.

Last edited:
Thank you this could be good for someone that wants to learn to dance:yes:

Nice thread, but there are a few errors.

Derek 'Cooley' Jaxson and Geron 'Casper' Candidate did teach Michael the moonwalk. Jeffrey Daniel admitted it, originally Michael wanted him to teach it to him, but he was in Europe touring with Shalamaar, so he sent Cooley and Casper to teach Michael instead. Michael had learnt the moonwalk a couple years before Motown 25 but was waiting for the perfect moment to use it.

Also popping and locking are two different dance styles and neither of them are present in the Motown 25 performance. You also forgot to highlight his influence from Bob Fosse.

Lastly, ballet is not in any of the videos mentioned. Dirty Diana really? I'd go over all the styles specifically but I got a dance class to go teach myself lol.

Great thread though! Keep up the good work.

Dirty Diana would be when he goes on his tip toes and does that sort of body wave on his tippy toes. I don't think I'll include Dirty Diana, I'll remove it now. Thanks for your contribution. I always thought that Ballet was in The Way You Make Me Feel, just that end dance though. What do you think?

Oh and WOW, thank you for bringing Bob Fosse to my attention, definitely some influence by Michael right there... thank you!
Added.

Regarding Bob too:
[youtube]lbtWB4PqjZA[/youtube]
Definitely some of Bob's moves in there.

Also a statement from Michael regarding Motown 25:
"But the night before the taping, I still had no idea what I was going to do with my solo number. So I went down to the kitchen of our house and played "Billie Jean." Loud. I was in there by myself, the night before the show, and I pretty much stood there and let the song tell me what to do. I kind of let the dance create itself. I really let it talk to me; I heard the beat come in, and I took this spy's hat and started to pose and step, letting the "Billie Jean" rhythm create the movements. I felt almost compelled to let it create itself. I couldn't help it. And that -- being able to "step back" and let the dance come through -- was a lot of fun.

I had also been practicing certain steps and movements, although most of the performance was actually spontaneous. I had been practicing the Moonwalk for some time, and it dawned on me in our kitchen that I would finally do the Moonwalk in public on Motown 25."
Source:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTn22DfCK5k

Last edited:
Dirty Diana would be when he goes on his tip toes and does that sort of body wave on his tippy toes. I don't think I'll include Dirty Diana, I'll remove it now. Thanks for your contribution. I always thought that Ballet was in The Way You Make Me Feel, just that end dance though. What do you think?

Oh yes, when he raises his arms and his leg, it certainly looks like a ballet move to me. Also, think about BAD, he does something similar when he raises his arms and one leg, what do you think?

The tap I see in Smooth Criminal at the very end right before he starts firing. And tapping in Black or White, in the Panther Dance, I think to me that is def. tapping, MJ style!

Oh yes, when he raises his arms and his leg, it certainly looks like a ballet move to me. Also, think about BAD, he does something similar when he raises his arms and one leg, what do you think?

The tap I see in Smooth Criminal at the very end right before he starts firing. And tapping in Black or White, in the Panther Dance, I think to me that is def. tapping, MJ style!
There is tap in the panther dance yes. As well as Michael's own style. The type of walk that Michael does is an indian walk.

Thank you very much for that article Arklove!

Michael also does Salsa in Blood on the Dance Floor.

^^ Right! The tapping in the Panther Dance...I hadn't really clued into that before :lol:

:wild:

Indian walk where? :scratch:

Last edited:
Oh he does it in Man in the Mirror too... you know in Black or White when there's cowboys and Indians and he's doing this cool jumping walk? That's an Indian Walk.

No, its not ballet, end of. I know exactly what moves your talking about in Bad and TWYMMF but its more jazz than ballet. There is a set technique in ballet, jazz and contemporary dance and though some moves may look similar they are not the same. None of Michael's moves are ballet.

That lil taping move is something Frank Sinatra done, but I forget what video its in, its virtually identical except Frank gets a lil more height.

Thank you so much for this thread. Wow Bob Fosse! I see Michael when I watched the snake in the grass video. I do see Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire in the Bad video. I immediately picked up on that due watching many musicals in my time. Well done! :cheers:

No, its not ballet, end of. I know exactly what moves your talking about in Bad and TWYMMF but its more jazz than ballet. There is a set technique in ballet, jazz and contemporary dance and though some moves may look similar they are not the same. None of Michael's moves are ballet.

That lil taping move is something Frank Sinatra done, but I forget what video its in, its virtually identical except Frank gets a lil more height.
Alright, thanks Jabz.

Removed Ballet.

Oh yes we can't forget Frank Sinatra...:yes:

Judging from the bolded part, I assume you've discussed with Michael his different techniques?

Not that I know much about dance technique and what not...But judging from that fact that he was influenced by Baryshnikov , wouldn't it be safe to say that some of those moves do have some light ballet in there? Obviously not highly technical or anything, but ballet influenced mixed with his own style...Just as he did with other types of dance....Just curious....I think if he was that interested in Baryshnikov's art, it seems that there is some influence in there...no?

Same, it does seem to be inspired by Ballet... I do know that Jabz is a dance teacher but I'm nearly 100% positive and sided with Ark's post.

^^ That was his gift in dance....The ability to use his influences to create his own style....They're not all clear-cut, technical moves, but a result of whatever his body and the music told him to do....So the different dances and influences blend into that unique style we see every time we watch him dance...

Last edited:
Back