Drake featuring Michael Jackson (TONIGHT)

Dear DuranDuran,
I truly hope you are an employer/boss yourself, otherwise the neoliberal ideology underlying your argument would be rather sad. Michael was the real deal where artistry is concerned and I'd rather have artistic integrity and the artist's vision over the concerns of corporatists any day, thank you very much.
That said, I quite like Don't Matter...

Pretty much this, some fan's obsessions with profits is very strange, it's as if they're acting like they have a stake in it. I care more about MJ as an artists rather than a faceless corporate brand tbh (which is what the estate are turning him into with Xscape and now this).

Pretty much this, some fan's obsessions with profits is very strange, it's as if they're acting like they have a stake in it. I care more about MJ as an artists rather than a faceless corporate brand tbh (which is what the estate are turning him into with Xscape and now this).
I never said I cared about a company making money. People here thinking that record labels sign artists to be friendly and kind to them and for artist integrity are being unrealistic. That has never been the case for most labels for the entire existence of the recording business. Acts have also gotten ripped off by managers & concert promoters. This kind of thinking is how many artists have gotten ripped off all this time and most of them died broke. Geffen Records sued Neil Young because they claimed he turned in an uncommercial album after it flopped. Now since records don't sell as well as in the past, labels have 360 deals that take profits from artists tours and merchandising. The only way to really have complete artist integrity is for an act to release it themselves. Labels also sometimes release albums to fail on purpose either for a tax writeoff or if an artist is planning to leave the label and sign with another.

I never said I cared about a company making money. People here thinking that record labels sign artists to be friendly and kind to them and for artist integrity are being unrealistic. That has never been the case for most labels for the entire existence of the recording business. Acts have also gotten ripped off by managers & concert promoters. This kind of thinking is how many artists have gotten ripped off all this time and most of them died broke. Geffen Records sued Neil Young because they claimed he turned in an uncommercial album after it flopped. Now since records don't sell as well as in the past, labels have 360 deals that take profits from artists tours and merchandising. The only way to really have complete artist integrity is for an act to release it themselves. Labels also sometimes release albums to fail on purpose either for a tax writeoff or if an artist is planning to leave the label and sign with another.

The Michael Jackson Estate make these decisions, Sony can only use what they give them, if the Estate don't want something to happen it won't. I don't understand why people seem to think the Sony have much of a say. They are in control of Michael's public perception as an artist and they're just making him into a brand imo.

This track is absolutely killing it in the UK. I didn't know about it until I saw it trending on Spotify. If it weren't for the resurgence of Three Lions it probably had a good chance of knocking George Ezra off the number 1 spot on Friday. After what I read here about the vocal manipulation I really wasn't expecting to like it, but I think the effect they used fits well. The music and vocal together are quite haunting.

The ethics of giving MJ's vocals to other artists is always going to be a murky area, but keeping his music current for as long as possible is important.

Nite Line;4225795 said:
Don't Matter to Me debuts at #9 on the Billboard Hot 100. It's Michael 30th top 10 in the US and his second after his death. Amazing.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en-gb"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Billboard Hot 100: #9(new) Don't Matter to Me, <a href="https://twitter.com/Drake?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Drake</a> Feat. <a href="https://twitter.com/michaeljackson?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@michaeljackson</a>.</p>— chart data (@chartdata) <a href="https://twitter.com/chartdata/status/1016384781146193921?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">9 July 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That`s great.

This song is doing great - even before it's released as a single or got radioplay.

Will the song be released as a single? - And if it's released as a single will it then get radioplay?

If so, the song could be a massive hit the next 2-4 weeks. It already has momentum.

When will there be a Video release? (Youtube-Link needed)

This song is doing great - even before it's released as a single or got radioplay.

Will the song be released as a single? - And if it's released as a single will it then get radioplay?

If so, the song could be a massive hit the next 2-4 weeks. It already has momentum.
I think it gets sent to radio in US today.

At least release the original demo. I had no complaints with Xscape. It was all MJ, the new 're-makes' are for sales and they kept the fans happy with MJs originals. That was spot on.

At the end of the day the Estate seem laser focused on 'contemporizing' Michael. If they're going to try and do that, at least give us fans the original material. If all we get is a poorly DIY filtered processed acapella it will be a real shame. Not hearing the original 7 songs on 'Michael' sucked.

Pretty much this, some fan's obsessions with profits is very strange, it's as if they're acting like they have a stake in it.

It's actually frightening to see fans on here repeatedly assert "well the Estate is a business". It comes up everytime to shut down any sort of caring, thoughtful approach to the handling of Michael's legacy.

It's frightening to me because if we give the Estate that kind of licence then who will fight for the quality and respect Michael deserves?

The bold button got dusted off today haha

It's actually frightening to see fans on here repeatedly assert "well the Estate is a business". It comes up everytime to shut down any sort of caring, thoughtful approach to the handling of Michael's legacy.

It's frightening to me because if we give the Estate that kind of licence then who will fight for the quality and respect Michael deserves?

The bold button got dusted off today haha

Thank you.

It&#8217;s probably a good idea for now anyway but hopefully when the momentum around In My Feelings drops they can then re-introduce Don&#8217;t Matter To Me as a single.
englishhooligan;4225848 said:
Such bull! In My Feelings seems to be only popular because of some dance and social media. The song itself is not like the MJ one at all!

Hope Don't Matter To Me will be released as a single - but I don't really care.

It has momentum now and should it have a chance at being #1 it should have been released now I think.

So no need for a single release in a month or two IMO...

Weird The Estate says - thru Alicia - that a Statement will come soon and then NOTHING... Not very profesionel...

Why are we still waiting for a statement from the estate? We already know there's a new release and its back story?

Why are we still waiting for a statement from the estate? We already know there's a new release and its back story?

Don't think they will have anything new to say regarding the song, but they said a statement will come - then I think it's fair to expect a statement to actually come.

Who knows, maybe they will give some details about the original song made with Paul Anka - maybe even tell us if the original demo will be released? Doubt it...

Thats too bad. I started hearing the song on radio. I must say it was nice to hear MJ. I doubt they would rerelease it in a month or two. Must have decided it wasn&#8217;t strong enough. That sucks.

Hess;4225875 said:

It has momentum now and should it have a chance at being #1 it should have been released now I think.

Weird The Estate says - thru Alicia - that a Statement will come soon and then NOTHING... Not very profesionel...

Who&#8217;s Alicia?

Weird The Estate says - thru Alicia - that a Statement will come soon and then NOTHING...

The Estate may have to co-ordinate with Drake's team to make a statement.

Such bull! In My Feelings seems to be only popular because of some dance and social media. The song itself is not like the MJ one at all!

I confess I don't know "the rules" for releasing singles, but I would think that an artist (e.g. Drake) would prefer to release a single that is just himself alone, rather than himself plus a featured artist. It's possible that "Don't Matter to Me" was used to kick start interest in the album and get people talking about it, as a prelude to releasing a single that is more in keeping with Drake's usual genre/style.

I confess I don't know "the rules" for releasing singles, but I would think that an artist (e.g. Drake) would prefer to release a single that is just himself alone, rather than himself plus a featured artist. It's possible that "Don't Matter to Me" was used to kick start interest in the album and get people talking about it, as a prelude to releasing a single that is more in keeping with Drake's usual genre/style.

Well, if this is true, this makes the Estate look even worse. Whoring out MJs name and voice to promote the current trend. When MJ was alive it was so so different. His music wasn't even allowed on compilation albums. [Now thats what I call music - UKs biggest compilation of the year's songs had MJ on once when he was alive]

Back