Elvis Presley is the king of music?

I don't know how the rest of your music class is set up but if they want to teach you about composers that were significantly relevant for classical music than maybe those composers were deemed rightfully not significantly relevant enough by the teachers/experts.? Regardless of colour

If that is the case would you still want the school to teach you about them?
Maybe. But they are already teaching Franz Schubert, who wasn't appreciated in life. Among others. They allow us to use some of our own choices of music to demonstrate the principles of music elements and such.

They'll use Cyndi Lauper songs in Bardcore style because that's her preference. Nothing to hate about that.

I just don't see where the emphasis on European/Italian music is warranted where even so much classical music is influenced by African/African American/Pure American influence. You already seemed conditioned to accept it as an irrelevant/minority viewpoint so I don't expect you to see it that way.

Mr JT, you should go into class and challenge your teachers! Tell them that Marin Alsop has programmed William Grant Still as part of the 2023/24 season with the Philharmonia Orchestra. It's called Let Freedom Ring, it's dedicated to the sounds of America.

See what they say, lol.
Well I'm not gonna worry about it like that lol. I just do the work and move on. I've just noticed this is all.

It's not a race issue, it's just an issue that happens to involve race. Maybe it'll come up later.

If they just include it then nobody would care. It's just when it's brought up later some people seem to insist on complaining. Sorry the world isn't the exact same way you thought it always was.

Maybe. But they are already teaching Franz Schubert, who wasn't appreciated in life. Among others. They allow us to use some of our own choices of music to demonstrate the principles of music elements and such.
Seriously, Mr JT, I would love you to go in and challenge your teachers. They need shaking up, man!

"Horowitz, who has written numerous books about the history of music in America, pays special attention to George Gershwin — one white composer who did embrace black music — and a handful of African American composers who found genuine success in the 1930s, only to see it quickly fade. William Dawson's Negro Folk Symphony, premiered by the Philadelphia Orchestra with superstar conductor Leopold Stokowski, is held up in particular as a neglected American treasure."

This quote is from an article I just posted over on the Classical/Opera thread. Trying not to clog this thread up any more than I already have, lol. Actually, I posted 2 over there, one about Marin Alsop and the sounds of America season that she's doing with the Philharmonia Orchestra in London and then this one.

They'll use Cyndi Lauper songs in Bardcore style because that's her preference. Nothing to hate about that.
And that's fine. I love Cyndi, she's great. But, c'mon, they could try harder than that. Including Cyndi, Taylor Swift, anyone like that is too easy, too predictable.

I just don't see where the emphasis on European/Italian music is warranted
It really isn't, imo. Especially not in this day and age. They need to push the boundaries.

where even so much classical music is influenced by African/African American/Pure American influence.
I think that article I quoted above tackles this. I haven't read the thing in full but I'm pretty sure this is the gist of what this Horowitz bloke is saying. If the legendary Leopold Stokowski was happy to premiere a piece by William Dawson that should be good enough for your teachers.

Well I'm not gonna worry about it like that lol. I just do the work and move on. I've just noticed this is all.
Fair enough. I would love you to go in and blow their minds but I get your point.

It's not a race issue, it's just an issue that happens to involve race. Maybe it'll come up later.
Exactly so.

If they just include it then nobody would care.
Exactly. It doesn't even really need to be a 'thing'. It could just be a totally normal curriculum.

What MJ meant back in the day was totally different, for a different meaning. And they already have been saying he made "white" music, he "hated being black". It's necessary. To tip the scales to normalcy and just appreciation.
I personally would rather have focused on this part of my statement. Like, when you have a man whose skin quite literally drained of color, additionally being slandered by ignorants as black hating, why is that not what we're focusing on as much as possible? There's still way too many people saying it. That Bad and after sold out. That Dangerous was made by a man who hated his race.

That's a way bigger problem, and one that MJ certainly did not forsee.

When Elvis did what other artists did, legitimately with their approval, he still gets called a racist thief. This is basically the opposite. A legitimate artist being able to make music however he so desires being marginalized as a sell-out. @Victorious What do you have to say about that? Surely you've seen it more than not.

I personally would rather have focused on this part of my statement. Like, when you have a man whose skin quite literally drained of color, additionally being slandered by ignorants as black hating, why is that not what we're focusing on as much as possible? There's still way too many people saying it. That Bad and after sold out. That Dangerous was made by a man who hated his race.
Bc it's too depressing and heart-wrenching and I can't go there.

1200px-Elvis_Presley_Jailhouse_Rock.jpg

Why is this thread in this part of the site anyway? Is it because the OP thinks that it won't get much attention in the Anything Goes section, so put it here? There's already a bunch of old Elvis threads. It's the same with threads about the J5/Jacksons. There's a section for them called 2300 Jackson Street.

Please don't talk to me that way.

I just found it funny that they consider Janet to be better than the likes of Elvis , that's all 😂
It's who we rank over Elvis, as in who we enjoy more. This ain't Rolling Stone magazine. Hence the vitriol.

Why is this thread in this part of the site anyway? Is it because the OP thinks that it won't get much attention in the Anything Goes section, so put it here? There's already a bunch of old Elvis threads. It's the same with threads about the J5/Jacksons. There's a section for them called 2300 Jackson Street.
I assumed the post was to compare him to MJ.

Dunno. This was the original question.
Why do most people call Elvis Presley the king of music when he didn't write a single song?

Elvis is a quite overrated, Suspicious Minds is such a good song i tend to give him a pass though
Tbh I'm not the biggest fan but can acknowledge greatness and he was clearly one of the greats.

That's my biggest issue with some MJ fans, there's no acknowledgement for other legendary artists, it's just MJ and nobody comes close, he's the best ever etc.

I used to think like that too when I was younger (and still do) but can also appreciate the impact that others had on the industry.

Tbh I'm not the biggest fan but can acknowledge greatness and he was clearly one of the greats.

That's my biggest issue with some MJ fans, there's no acknowledgement for other legendary artists, it's just MJ and nobody comes close, he's the best ever etc.

I used to think like that too when I was younger (and still do) but can also appreciate the impact that others had on the industry.
In terms of performing Live and nothing else, Elvis is the clear #2 behind MJ, dude's cool as fuck, he sounds cool and looks cool.

Elvis Presley is the defacto greatest artist of all time. He's a casual reference on children's TV at this point. MJ is just about there but obviously criticized far more often and easily, for no real legitimate reason other than people just know more about what he did.

Elvis Presley is the defacto greatest artist of all time. He's a casual reference on children's TV at this point. MJ is just about there but obviously criticized far more often and easily, for no real legitimate reason other than people just know more about what he did.
The media makes it's living comparing other new artists to Michael Jackson, as we've seen with Taylor Swift, Drake etc. He's basically what Michael Jordan is for Basketball, doubt it will ever change

Mr JT, you should go into class and challenge your teachers! Tell them that Marin Alsop has programmed William Grant Still as part of the 2023/24 season with the Philharmonia Orchestra. It's called Let Freedom Ring, it's dedicated to the sounds of America.

See what they say, lol.
I see this right now!

I came back to tell you lol

I'm gonna do a project about innovations in the Opera. The first black Opera, all sorts of things like that. I guess we're getting to this portion finally lol

There is a lot of retroactive hatred for Elvis which I don't understand. it is only now an expectation that he would have grovelled to black artists for "stealing" their art. The fact he grew up in poverty in a black neighbourhood and that this was the music HE grew up with seems to miss everyone. Also the fact he did fight for black artists. He refused to do concerts that wouldn't allow him to bring his black back up singers. He also, inadvertedly opened the floodgates for black music and make it acceptable for white Americans to listen to a form of music that was, until then, seen as somehow savage. There is no evidence whatsoever that Elvis was a racist. And how can you steal the music you grew up with? It's not like Elvis was some corporate machine made in the suburbs that didn't have roots in black music.

But beyond that if we're talking the king of music, probably not either. What Elvis was was an entertainer who could sing. He's not known to have written a single song in his life. He could play a few instruments. But he was magnetic. The guy was magnetic and he was different. There was something "special" about Elvis that people know when someone with it enters a room. Elvis was made to be an icon, and that he was. I don't think Elvis holds a candle to Michael Jackson as an artist or musician but they both had a special quality that made them stand out.

There is a lot of retroactive hatred for Elvis which I don't understand. it is only now an expectation that he would have grovelled to black artists for "stealing" their art. The fact he grew up in poverty in a black neighbourhood and that this was the music HE grew up with seems to miss everyone. Also the fact he did fight for black artists. He refused to do concerts that wouldn't allow him to bring his black back up singers. He also, inadvertedly opened the floodgates for black music and make it acceptable for white Americans to listen to a form of music that was, until then, seen as somehow savage. There is no evidence whatsoever that Elvis was a racist.
I do not "hate" Elvis, I simply have no interest. Right now. I don't see the appeal. I mean, I kinda do. But I have no reason to engage. I would not say he needed to "grovel" to acknowledge that his roots were urban, not that that is groveling. He did do it. It just fell on deaf ears.

I think the only issues with Elvis is that way his clinger onners made him so significant, when yes, he was a compelling artist. But many others are as well. He deserves his shine. So do the others. It's the stigma around him more so than the man himself. Though his own conduct, I do find questionable, more so than MJ's as a matter of fact. It's unfair the same questions aren't asked. By no means should you "cancel" him though, or even can.

Anyway, I've personally been enjoying the Beatles. Those guys, I finally understand now. They were good, when they were good. So good. George was the best though. That is made clear.

Back