Elvis Presley

You can't be serious?! Singing in a studio doesn't count as real work?! That's just a ridiculous thing to say.

You really need to research Elvis as your comments about him are ignorant (I don't mean that in a nasty way). Elvis didn't have 'some influence'. He was the biggest artist of his generation. Rod Stewart, Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and many more are all influenced by him. Nor would there had been The Beatles (the biggest band ever) without Elvis.

Bob Dylan's highlight of his career is Elvis covering one of his songs. That's the impact Elvis had on a generation!

The man was a superstar. He holds the record for the most UK number ones (21) despite 1. being American and 2. never touring there!

It's good that you don't believe the nonsense written about Elvis as a person.

I didn't know that any nonsense about Elvis existed (I'm not a fan so I don't no much About him), so I've never read any.

Overall, I personally think that he's overrated as an artist because the only thing that really impresses me about him is his voice.
I don't care how many records he holds, he didn't write a single one of his own songs to earn them (had he at least wrote one maybe just maybe I could give him a pass).

For you to understand where I'm coming from you would have to disregard how people saw him or how he "defined a generation".
You would have to look at what he was capable of as an artist.

Also, please elucidate on how Elvis is responsible for the Beatles existence.

Last edited:
Pink Diamond Princess;4144958 said:
I didn't know that any nonsense about Elvis existed (I'm not a fan so I don't no much About him), so I've never read any.

Overall, I personally think that he's overrated as an artist because the only thing that really impresses me about him is his voice.
I don't care how many records he holds, he didn't write a single one of his own songs to earn them (had he at least wrote one maybe just maybe I could give him a pass).

For you to understand where I'm coming from you would have to disregard how people saw him or how he "defined a generation".
You would have to look at what he was capable of as an artist.

Also, please elucidate on how Elvis is responsible for the Beatles existence.

There is nonsense such as he was a racist, but it's totally unsubstantiated and also makes no sense whatsoever.

It's fine to think he's overrated. Every major singer ever will be overrated to some people. Likewise anybody highly regarded in other fields.

Yes, he didn't write his hits, but then neither did Whitney Houston. Nor has Meat Loaf. Does that make the those pair overrated also? Did those pair not earn any of their number one hits because they didn't write them? It doesn't make sense to say that. In that case all singers who ever had a song get to number one, that didn't write that specific song, didn't earn it then.

Not to bring MJ into this, but The Jackson 5 never wrote a lyric of their songs (they weren't allowed to, but still they didn't write them) does that mean the three consecutive US number ones (I Want You Back, ABC and The Love You Save) weren't earnt?

As for no Beatles without Elvis, John Lennon said the following: ' “Nothing really affected me until Elvis,” John Lennon would later say. “Without him, there would be no Beatles.” '

Last edited:
writing

he didn't write a single one of his own songs to earn them (had he at least wrote one I could give him a pass).
The idea of self writing being important was started in the late 1960s by rock magazines like Rolling Stone and Creem. Pre-Beatles, most popular acts didn't write their own songs and no one cared. Afterward, that is usually the case too. That's why Rolling Stone praise Bob Dylan, British Invasion bands, and 1970s singer-songwriter acts like Paul Simon, Carole King, Cat Stevens, & James Taylor. R&B/soul acts usually did not write their own songs but had producer-writers like Motown, so the rock press did not take it as seriously as the guitar bands. They also did not give the same praise to rock bands who did a lot of remakes like Vanilla Fudge.

Bad7;4144961 said:
There is nonsense such as he was a racist, but it's totally unsubstantiated and also makes no sense whatsoever.

It's fine to think he's overrated. Every major singer ever will be overrated to some people. Likewise anybody highly regarded in other fields.

Yes, he didn't write his hits, but then neither did Whitney Houston. Nor has Meat Loaf. Does that make the those pair overrated also? Did those pair not earn any of their number one hits because they didn't write them? It doesn't make sense to say that. In that case all singers who ever had a song get to number one, that didn't write that specific song, didn't earn it then.

Not to bring MJ into this, but The Jackson 5 never wrote a lyric of their songs (they weren't allowed to, but still they didn't write them) does that mean the three consecutive US number ones (I Want You Back, ABC and The Love You Save) weren't earnt?

As for no Beatles without Elvis, John Lennon said the following: ' “Nothing really affected me until Elvis,” John Lennon would later say. “Without him, there would be no Beatles.” '

That's the thing though I'm not saying that Elvis isn't a good singer but his status doesn't match his talent.
Unlike Whitney Houston and Meatloaf (I'll have to google him) Elvis is regarded as one of the cornerstones of music when all he did was sing.

Additionally, we all know that MJ was more then capable of writing songs.
Michael wrote songs for himself and for others. :yes:

I've never really understood MJ Elvis comparisons considering that Elvis is a singer and MJ is an all around entertainer, but hey people will compare I guess. :yes:

That's the thing though I'm not saying that Elvis isn't a good singer but his status doesn't match his talent.
Unlike Whitney Houston and Meatloaf (I'll have to google him) Elvis is regarded as one of the cornerstones of music when all he did was sing.

Additionally, we all know that MJ was more then capable of writing songs.
Michael wrote songs for himself and for others. :yes:

I've never really understood MJ Elvis comparisons considering that Elvis is a singer and MJ is an all around entertainer, but hey people will compare I guess. :yes:

Whitney Houston and Meat Loaf are highly regarded in music. All three earnt their achievements. As Duran Duran said, years ago lot's of artists didn't write their own music. That must mean they all didn't earn their achievements then?

The point still stands. The Jackson 5 didn't write their own music, does that mean they didn't earn their achievements?

I wasn't comparing MJ to Elvis. Both are totally different artists. I used The Jackson 5 as an example. They were popular, had success but didn't write their own songs.

P.S. What country are you in? Meat Loaf is quite a well known artist. His Bat Out Of Hell album is one of the best selling of all time. In the top ten I believe.

You sound like Prince fans who say Mike is only a singer who didn't play instruments or made as many types of music as Prince. I've never understood this kind of logic. It's music, not a competition like sports.

You sound like Prince fans who say Mike is only a singer who didn't play instruments like Prince. I've never understood this kind of logic. It's music, not a competition like sports.

This is an excellent example.

That's a great example. Singer/songwriters really didn't exist until the 60's. Remember Sinatra and the other vocal greats of that time didn't write music. That all came from Broadway and Tin Pan Alley. 60s pop came from the Brill Building writers. Motown had their writers on payroll. That's how Gordy got his start.

And speaking of performing, I've heard women who saw him live in his youth wax rhapsodic over Elvis's performance skills, not his recordings.

Again the statement that started this was Not a diss against Michael.

You sound like Prince fans who say Mike is only a singer who didn't play instruments or made as many types of music as Prince. I've never understood this kind of logic. It's music, not a competition like sports.

The difference between me and those prince fans is that they know full and well that there lying when they say that, but what I'm saying about a Elvis is truthful, no matter how you look at it his only real talent was singing.

Michael created music in many different genres along with being able to dance, sing, and make the most iconic music videos in history.

Lastly, you're comparing a band to a solo artist which doesn't make much sense, and I do believe that Michael and his brothers worked on some of the later songs they released as a group.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_The_Jackson_5

That's a great example. Singer/songwriters really didn't exist until the 60's. Remember Sinatra and the other vocal greats of that time didn't write music. That all came from Broadway and Tin Pan Alley. 60s pop came from the Brill Building writers. Motown had their writers on payroll. That's how Gordy got his start.

And speaking of performing, I've heard women who saw him live in his youth wax rhapsodic over Elvis's performance skills, not his recordings.

Again the statement that started this was Not a diss against Michael.

He could emote and knew how to work a stage but he couldn't actually dance in the sense that people such as, Fred Astaire, bob fosse, James Brown, and gene kelly could. :yes:

Last edited:
The difference between me and those prince fans is that they know full and well that there lying when they say that, but what I'm saying about a Elvis is truthful, no matter how you look at it his only real talent was singing.

Michael created music in many different genres along with being able to dance, sing, and make the most iconic music videos in history.

Lastly, you're comparing a band to a solo artist which doesn't make much sense, and I do believe that Michael and his brothers worked on some of the later songs they released as a group.

Why do you keep bringing up Michael in a thread about Elvis? Like someone said, this is not a competition. Why does it bother you so much if people consider Elvis a legend? It doesn't take anything away from Michael. And yes, saying Elvis is "just a singer" is just as silly as people saying Michael was "just an entertainer" because he didn't play musical instruments. I couldn't name more than 3 Elvis songs off the top of my head but it's obvious the man has a lot of admirers. If you're not one of them that's fine but I don't see the point of talking down artists even if I don't care for their music.

Last edited:
Why do you keep bringing up Michael in a thread about Elvis? Like someone said, this is not a competition. Why does it bother you so much if people consider Elvis a legend? It doesn't take anything away from Michael. And yes, saying Elvis is "just a singer" is just as silly as people saying Michael was "just an entertainer" because he didn't play musical instruments.
Ask Bad7 not me, they brought up MJ, Whitney Houston, and Meatloaf when none of those people had anything to do with the conversation.

And it really isn't silly to say Elvis as an artist is just a singer because he is.
I never said he wasn't a legend because he was indeed a legendary singer.
Why does it bother you that I think Elvis is just a singer when it's the truth.
And of course Elvis being a legend doesn't take anything away from Michael (Michael is better then Elvis honestly, a lot of people are but that's here nor there).

Last edited:

I'm not comparing a solo artist to a band. I'm comparing the fact The Jackson 5 didn't write their hit songs. Which, going by what you say, means they didn't earn those achievements.

MJ making music videos is irrelevant when speaking about Elvis at the same time. Videos weren't often made. There was no platform such as MTV to show them on.

It also makes no sense to say 'Elvis could only sing'. He could play instruments also. Add to that you're basically labelling every artist who doesn't dance, nor write their own songs, just singers which is disrespectful and wrong.

Ask Bad7 not me, they brought up MJ and Prince when neither had anything to do with the conversation.

No, I didn't bring up MJ. I cited The Jackson 5 as you were saying Elvis didn't earn his achievements as he didn't write the songs. I also brought up Whitney Houston and Meat Loaf as two other artists who, by your logic, aren't deserving either.

Nor did I mention Prince, DuranDuran did. He mentioned Prince as an example.

I'm not comparing a solo artist to a band. I'm comparing the fact The Jackson 5 didn't write their hit songs. Which, going by what you say, means they didn't earn those achievements.

MJ making music videos is irrelevant when speaking about Elvis at the same time. Videos weren't often made. There was no platform such as MTV to show them on.

It also makes no sense to say 'Elvis could only sing'. He could play instruments also. Add to that you're basically labelling every artist who doesn't dance, nor write their own songs, just singers which is disrespectful and wrong.

No, I didn't bring up MJ. I cited The Jackson 5 as you were saying Elvis didn't earn his achievements as he didn't write the songs. I also brought up Whitney Houston and Meat Loaf as two other artists who, by your logic, aren't deserving either.

Nor did I mention Prince, DuranDuran did. He mentioned Prince as an example.

You did bring MJ into the conversation ( MJ took over as being the main vocalist as after Jermaine).
The Jackson 5 had nothing to do with the convo nor did whitney Houston, and I'm sorry but if you don't dance, or write your own music you are just a singer (there's no shame in just being a singer if your good at it).
Also yes Elvis played a few instruments but he isn't exactly known for it which makes it irrelevant (except for maybe the guitar, I'll give him that, but he isn't exactly a world renowned guitarist).

As for whether or not Whitney and Meatloaf deserved their success, yes they did.
The difference between Elvis and the aforementioned people are that they aren't part of the big three (MJ the Beatles, and Elvis), nor are they regarded as one of the people that created music and pop culture as we know it.

Elvis is good, but once again I don't feel as though his status matches his talent.
If he were regarded on the same level as Whitney Houston I would think he more then deserved his success.

All in all I just don't think Elvis is as good as everyone else seems to think he is, and I have realistic grounds for thinking so. *shrugs*

At this point I'm done with the conversation because my mind hasn't and most likely won't be changed.

Last edited:
You did bring MJ into the conversation ( MJ took over as being the main vocalist as after Jermaine).
The Jackson 5 had nothing to do with the convo nor did whitney Houston, and I'm sorry but if you don't dance, or write your own music you are just a singer (there's no shame in just being a singer if your good at it).
Also yes Elvis played a few instruments but he isn't exactly known for it which makes it irrelevant (except for maybe the guitar, I'll give him that, but he isn't exactly a world renowned guitarist).

As for whether or not Whitney and Meatloaf deserved their success, yes they did.
The difference between Elvis and the aforementioned people are that they aren't part of the big three (MJ the Beatles, and Elvis), nor are they regarded as one of the people that created music and pop culture as we know it.

Elvis is good, but once again I don't feel as though his status matches his talent.
If he were regarded on the same level as Whitney Houston I would think he more then deserved his success.

All in all I just don't think Elvis is as good as everyone else seems to think he is, and I have realistic grounds for thinking so. *shrugs*

At this point I'm done with the conversation because my mind hasn't and most likely won't be changed.

I never brought up MJ. I brought up The Jackson 5, as a band. They did have something to do with the conversation as I cited them as an example of your logic. Yet you denied it, most likely because Michael Jackson was part of that group. Yet they match how you described Elvis. If Elvis was 'just a singer' as he 'didn't write his songs' and he 'didn't earn those achievements' then the same can be said of The Jackson 5 whether you want to admit it or not. You can't have it both ways.

It's nonsense that somebody is 'just a singer'. It's simply disrespectful and ignorant. You also ignore the era. As DuranDuran said artists writing their own music in those times wasn't as prominent. Elvis could play instruments also, so actually he wasn't 'just a singer'. That description would fit Whitney Houston, however deeming her 'just a singer' would be disrespectful and totally wrong. Yet that's how you'd basically describe her. When actually she was phenomenal.

Somebody in a band that only plays an instrument must be even less worthy of praise in your eyes then.

Sorry, but you really don't have realistic grounds. They're just disrespectful and don't make any sense. Is a song writer who can't sing, 'just a song writer'? Is a drum player 'just a drum player'?

Likely you won't change your thinking, but it's really ignorant. Likewise you believing Elvis didn't have much of an influence when he did. You clearly haven't researched the impact Elvis had if you think it's overstated. Asking 'what work?' Elvis did is just mind blowing.

Last edited:
music

There is no truth. None of it is facts. You can go to the site of any act and their fans will say they're the best. You can't prove one act's music is better than another. It's an opinion of the listener and what kind of music they're into. Some people don't care about dancing or music videos, so that is irrelevant to them. People don't go to a folk, jazz, classical, or blues concert to see dancing. Miles Davis didn't dance. People might go to a Madonna concert to see dancing. People might go to a heavy metal concert and expect a pyro show & headbanging or a light show and props at a Pink Floyd concert. A rock fan might be into the guitar solo and a prog fan might care about the keyboard solo or 20 minute songs. Some of the late 1970's punk rock audience would spit on the band and each other, but you're not going to see that at a gospel show.

I never brought up MJ. I brought up The Jackson 5, as a band. They did have something to do with the conversation as I cited them as an example of your logic. Yet you denied it, most likely because Michael Jackson was part of that group. Yet they match how you described Elvis. If Elvis was 'just a singer' as he 'didn't write his songs' and he 'didn't earn those achievements' then the same can be said of The Jackson 5 whether you want to admit it or not. You can't have it both ways.

It's nonsense that somebody is 'just a singer'. It's simply disrespectful and ignorant. You also ignore the era. As DuranDuran said artists writing their own music in those times wasn't as prominent. Elvis could play instruments also, so actually he wasn't 'just a singer'. That description would fit Whitney Houston, however deeming her 'just a singer' would be disrespectful and totally wrong. Yet that's how you'd basically describe her. When actually she was phenomenal.

Somebody in a band that only plays an instrument must be even less worthy of praise in your eyes then.

Sorry, but you really don't have realistic grounds. They're just disrespectful and don't make any sense. Is a song writer who can't sing, 'just a song writer'? Is a drum player 'just a drum player'?

Look this is my last post in here.

Yes Whitney is just a singer but she's dang good at it (one of the best).
Yes a drummer is just a drummer if that's all they do, but if they're one if the best at it where's the shame.

I linked you to a page where there was proof the the Jacksons did write some of their songs as a group but I suppose you didn't look at it.

And if you were implying that you can't be part of a band and do more then play an instrument then that isn't true (look at Paul McCartney).

My opinion of Elvis stands.
He was good, but not that great.

J5

I linked you to a page where there was proof the the Jackson did write some of their songs as a group but I suppose you didn't look at it.
"The Jacksons" & "Jackson 5" are different. The Jackson 5 had Jermaine and were on Motown. The Jacksons had Randy and were on Epic. The Jackson 5 did not write the songs on their albums, The Jacksons did.

Yes a drummer is just a drummer if that's all they do, but if they're one if the best at it where's the shame.

I linked you to a page where there was proof the the Jacksons did write some of their songs as a group but I suppose you didn't look at it.

And if you were implying that you can't be part of a band and do more then play an instrument then that isn't true (look at Paul McCartney).

Wow! You really do have no clue about Elvis, at all, whatsoever! You're comments are quite possibly some of the most ignorant I've read.

To really understand the greatness of Elvis you need to understand the state of music and popular culture back in the mid-50's, and to understand that you need to understand that the "album" was in its infancy and not the fully formed concept that it eventually became. Elvis was part of that musical eveloution that gave us the album as a rock n roll or even a pop concept. The impact he had on culture which was extremely conservative at the time was innovative, revolutionary and extreme.

If Elvis didn't happen Dylan never would have and the birth of songwriter as fully formed artist wouldn't have happened that way and at that point, as that's what Dylan brought to the table. The Beatles wouldn't have happened either as would The Stones have not happened. It was Elvis' impact that charged that generation which inspired them to go out and buy instruments and start bands.

You also asked 'what work did Elvis do?' Let me see, 57 albums on RCA, many more on Sun Records and recorded sessions at Stax, well over 30 feature films, years and years of touring America and residencies and actually served for his country in the Army for two years. The man worked Damn hard!!

'Elvis was JUST a singer?' Elvis Presley was one of the most charismatic human beings to ever grace the planet. I would say his charisma alone is something very few people posses, certainly MJ possessed it too. He played guitar moderately but then so do thousands of great folk entertainers, it's not about being technically the greatest player, it's about having the ability to connect with your audience; key deference.

As you've said yourself 'you have your mind made up and it won't be changed, but I got to say how ignorant and small minded is that?! Keep your opinions by all means, but if your going to propagate a fully formed one at the very least, educate yourself.

And one more point I just want to make, not nesscesarly to you but in general, don't blame Elvis for the racial issues that held back black people from being suscessful musicians in the 50's, Elvis was simply a young southern kid whom happened to be white and talented and whom a lot of white corrupt elitests leeched onto. The system and the powers that be held those musicians back, and Elvis loved those musicians and would mimic them as a kid in adulation. He was highly influenced on black music and gospel music. Indecently, Whitney Houstans mother was one of his backing singers.

I'm not saying there's shame in having one specific attribute musically. You are deeming a person with one talent to be 'just' whatever their talent happens to be.

I never said 'The Jacksons' didn't write their own material. I said 'The Jackson Five' didn't. There's a difference between the two.

Also, how did you think I was implying that a member of a band can't do more than play an instrument exactly?

I didn't dispute whether you believe Elvis was good or great. I was disputing the fact that you didn't think Elvis had a huge influence. He did, it's simply undeniable. It's not an opinion either. I also disputed you saying 'he's just a singer' it makes no sense.

Re: J5

"The Jacksons" & "Jackson 5" are different. The Jackson 5 had Jermaine and were on Motown. The Jacksons had Randy and were on Epic. The Jackson 5 did not write the songs on their albums, The Jacksons did.
J5 also had randy. He joined the group in 1972

Anywho, more positively:

(My personal favourite song Elvis ever did)

(Adore this)

J5 also had randy. He joined the group in 1972
He wasn't official, just like Ronnie Rancifer & Johnny Jackson weren't. Randy is not on any of the album covers and didn't change their name to Jackson 6. Ronnie does have a writing credit with The J5 though, on I Am Love and a song on one of Jermaine's solo albums Come Into My Life. Jermaine did become an official member of The Jacksons on their final 2 albums on Epic.

He wasn't official, just like Ronnie Rancifer & Johnny Jackson weren't. Randy is not on any of the album covers and didn't change their name to Jackson 6. Ronnie does have a writing credit with The J5 though, on I Am Love and a song on one of Jermaine's solo albums Come Into My Life. Jermaine did become an official member of The Jacksons on their final 2 albums on Epic.

official or not, he was still a member of the group and was presented as such

I am not an Elvis fan.I like some songs of him .But i must say that he was a big influence to many singers.His work is big.Maybe without him Rock would not happen.Cause we are Michaels fan that doesnt mean that we erase influence from other artist like Elvis, beatles, Doors. etc.Everyone had their part in Music History.

Elvis & Nixon

Here's a featurette/trailer on the upcoming movie Elvis & Nixon. I wonder what made someone to decide to do a movie on this.

3/27/2017 by Mike Barnes Hollywood Reporter
al_hal_wallace_paul.jpeg_copy.jpg

From left: Allan Weiss with producers Hal B. Wallis and Paul Nathan in the 1960s

He was there in 1956 for the singer's first Hollywood screen test and later penned 'The Sons of Katie Elder.'

Screenwriter Allan Weiss, who was on hand to witness Elvis Presley's first Hollywood screen test and worked on six of the singer's movies in the 1960s, has died. He was 90.

Weiss died Thursday at a nursing facility in Mission Viejo, Calif., his nephew, Ken Maas, told The Hollywood Reporter.
Weiss provided the story for Presley's Blue Hawaii (1961) and wrote or co-wrote the screenplays for the films Girls! Girls! Girls! (1962), Fun in Acapulco (1963), Roustabout (1964), Paradise, Hawaiian Style (1966) and Easy Come, Easy Go (1967).

Weiss once noted that to write a screenplay for an Elvis movie, "You had to make room for 12 songs, and they had to be integrated." He and Anthony Lawrence's script for Roustabout was nominated for a WGA award for best movie musical that year, losing out to Mary Poppins.

Weiss received credit for just one other screenplay during his career — for The Sons of Katie Elder (1965), the Henry Hathaway-directed film that starred John Wayne and Dean Martin.

Weiss was an associate of renowned producer Hal B. Wallis, whose credits included The Maltese Falcon (1941), Casablanca (1942) and several films starring Martin and Jerry Lewis. The writer was present when Wallis, then based at Paramount Pictures, made Presley's screen test in March 1956.

"No one had any expectations; [Presley] was such a strange, quiet fellow — so completely foreign," Weiss said in the 2004 book Elvis Presley: The Man. The Life. The Legend. "But he sang and read a scene from [the N. Richard Nash play] The Rainmaker and answered questions asked from off-screen — and it was phenomenal. It was an amazing experience to be there, one of those life-changing experiences."

A native of Sharon, Pa., Harry "Allan" Weiss served in the U.S. Army, was stationed in Germany and was as a translator during the Nuremberg trials. He then graduated from UCLA and worked as a sound engineer and in journalism.

Weiss' partner, producer Paul Nathan, who also worked alongside Wallis, died in 1977. The two are buried near each other at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery, Maas said.

tumblr_osj5cwZka61rw606ko1_r4_1280.jpg

Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, and RCA Records will release Elvis Presley – A Boy From Tupelo – The Complete 1953-1955 Recordings on Friday, July 28, 2017.

Available as a 3CD deluxe box set and a digital collection, A Boy From Tupelo – The Complete 1953-1955 Recordings is the most comprehensive collection of early Elvis recordings ever assembled, with many tracks becoming available for the first time as part of this package and one performance–a newly discovered recording of “I Forgot To Remember To Forget” (from the Louisiana Hayride, Shreveport, Louisiana, October 29, 1955)–being officially released for the first time ever.

A Boy From Tupelo – The Complete 1953-1955 Recordings includes–for the first time in one collection–every known Elvis Presley Sun Records master and outtake, plus the mythical Memphis Recording Service Acetates–“My Happiness”/”That’s When Your Heartaches Begin” (recorded July 1953) and “I’ll Never Stand in Your Way”/”It Wouldn’t Be the Same (Without You)” (recorded January 4, 1954)–the four songs Elvis paid his own money to record before signing with Sun. A Boy From Tupelo – The Complete 1953-1955 Recordings includes every Elvis live performance and radio recording known to exist from the period.

Essential to the understanding and appreciation of Elvis and his explosive impact on pop music and culture, A Boy From Tupelo – The Complete 1953-55 Recordings presents–in the best possible sound– every known Presley recording from his early career, when the world’s first atomic singer fused blues, pop and hillbilly country swing to create an electrifying new music that changed the world.

A Boy From Tupelo – The Complete 1953-1955 Recordings also includes a 120-page book formatted as an illustrated travelogue and datebook chronicling the genesis of Elvis’ early career via facts, anecdotes, memorabilia and many rare photos. Independence Day 1954 is when this unique American saga begins, less than 24 hours before his first professional recording session, and it ends in December 1955, when the singer leaves Sun Records to record for RCA. The material is organized by calendar entries. During the months July through October 1954, the majority of the calendar is empty, as Elvis had his daytime job with Crown Electric, and music making was confined to the weekends and evening hours. This is Elvis Presley before he becomes world-famous, and an account of how this amazing young man readies himself for stardom, a young man on the pinnacle of an unprecedented level of success. “A boy from Tupelo” would become much more than a world-famous superstar, he would become ELVIS!

Behind the making of A Boy From Tupelo – The Complete 1953-55 Recordings lie more than 1,500 hours of restoration work and nearly 200 hours of additional studio time devoted to the painstaking remastering of the material. The results are stunning.

A Boy From Tupelo – The Complete 1953-55 Recordings is produced, researched and written by Ernst Mikael Jørgensen.

Disc one of A Boy From Tupelo – The Complete 1953-1955 Recordings covers the masters Elvis recorded for Sun Records, some variations, and the four sides he paid for himself. Disc two covers all known outtakes, even just the smallest surviving fragments. Disc three covers all the live and radio recordings known to exist.

On July 28th, Legacy Recordings will also release A Boy From Tupelo: The Sun Masters, a single disc 12″ vinyl package that chronicles the rise of Elvis Presley before he became The King of Rock and Roll. Recorded with producer Sam Phillips, guitarist Scotty Moore and bassist Bill Black during his first incredible year as a professional recording artist (July 1954-July 1955), this collection includes Elvis’ complete single A and B-sides for Sun Records, plus additional songs recorded at Sun Studio and released on his landmark self-titled debut album in 1956.

Disc 1
1 My Happiness
2 That’s When Your Heartaches Begin
3 I’ll Never Stand in Your Way
4 It Wouldn’t Be the Same (Without You)
5 Harbor Lights
6 I Love You Because (unprocessed master edit)
7 That’s All Right (45 rpm master)
8 Blue Moon of Kentucky (45 rpm master)
9 Blue Moon
10 Tomorrow Night
11 I’ll Never Let You Go (Little Darlin’)
12 I Don’t Care if the Sun Don’t Shine
13 Just Because
14 Good Rockin’ Tonight
15 Milkcow Blues Boogie
16 You’re a Heartbreaker
17 I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone (slow version)
18 Baby Let’s Play House
19 I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone
20 I Forgot to Remember to Forget
21 Mystery Train
22 Tryin’ to Get To You
23 When It Rains It Pours
24 That’s All Right (RCA single version)
25 Blue Moon of Kentucky (RCA single version)
26 I Love You Because (RCA LP version)
27 Tomorrow Night (RCA LP version)

Disc 2
1 Harbor Lights (takes 1-2, 3/M)
2 Harbor Lights (take 4)
3 Harbor Lights (takes 5-8)
4 I Love You Because (takes 1-2)
5 I Love You Because (take 3)
6 I Love You Because (takes 4-5)
7 That’s All Right (takes 1-3)
8 Blue Moon of Kentucky (slow tempo outtake)
9 Blue Moon (takes 1-4)
10 Blue Moon (take 5)
11 Blue Moon (takes 6-8)
12 Blue Moon (take 9/M)
13 Dialogue (fragment before “Tomorrow Night”)
14 I’ll Never Let You Go (Little Darlin’) (incomplete take)
15 Good Rockin’ Tonight (fragment from vocal slapback tape)
16 I Don’t Care if the Sun Don’t Shine (takes 1-3/M)
17 I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone (slow version, take 1)
18 I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone (slow version, take 2)
19 I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone (slow version, take 3)
20 I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone (slow version, take 4-5)
21 I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone (slow version, takes 6-7)
22 How Do You Think I Feel (guitar slapback tape, rehearsals + take 1)
23 When It Rains It Pours (vocal slapback tape, take 1)
24 When It Rains It Pours (vocal slapback tape, take 2 – rehearsal 1 – takes 3-4)
25 When It Rains It Pours (vocal slapback tape, take 5/M)
26 When It Rains It Pours (vocal slapback tape, take 6-8)

Disc 3
1 That’s All Right
2 Blue Moon of Kentucky
3 Shake, Rattle and Roll
4 Fool, Fool, Fool
5 Hearts of Stone
6 That’s All Right
7 Tweedlee Dee
8 Shake, Rattle and Roll
9 KSIJ Radio commercial with DJ Tom Perryman
10 Money Honey
11 Blue Moon of Kentucky