Estate, Cascio and Porte Sued Over Three Songs on the "Michael" Album - Vera Senova Class Action

Re: Estate, Cascio & Porte sued - Forensic Analysis says MJ is NOT singing the 3 songs on "MICHAEL"

Any news?

Re: Estate, Cascio & Porte sued - Forensic Analysis says MJ is NOT singing the 3 songs on "MICHAEL"

Can anyone tell me any news about the courtcase between a fan (member on here) and the estate about the Cascio songs? Or give me a link? How is that developing?

No major news to report. It's still in initial phases. parties served and 2 status hearings happened. there even hasn't been a reply to the complaint yet.

Has anything happened with this now?

^^

regular status hearings, other than that not much development

Thanks Ivy

I hope this pans out and they all get sued good and proper

Ah! So many good posts in this thread!

Unfortunately, I lost interest in this lawsuit after reading the weak claims (all parties are not held accountable) and remedies (there will be no demand for a public apology and Cascio tracks can remain in Michael's catalog so long as they are not placed in positions to be sold) and have not regained interest.

No victory for Michael here in my view and I do not see reason for Michael to not be victorious as he is the true victim here.

Me too .

It is ridiculous that this is still a debate this far later since the release.. This should have been behind us by now, it would solve so much pointless debates in this forum if we just had substantial proof for either party (Michael voice vs. non Michaels voice fans)

Unfortunately, I lost interest in this lawsuit after reading the weak claims (all parties are not held accountable) and remedies (there will be no demand for a public apology and Cascio tracks can remain in Michael's catalog so long as they are not placed in positions to be sold) and have not regained interest.

No victory for Michael here in my view and I do not see reason for Michael to not be victorious as he is the true victim here.
I hate to ask this, because I myself get irritated when people don't go back through threads before asking questions-and I tried, but it was taking SOOO LONG-(it is 83 pages). What are the remedies that you are talking about-or where can I find that in the thread. I did not realize that if they were found to be truly fraudulent, they wouldn't be removed from Michael's discography. Isn't that the only possible recourse?

And do you mean a public apology from the Cascios and LaPorte? (if proved fraudulent).

It's sad that The Cascio's still to this day have many fans tricked

It is ridiculous that this is still a debate this far later since the release.. This should have been behind us by now, it would solve so much pointless debates in this forum if we just had substantial proof for either party (Michael voice vs. non Michaels voice fans)

Totally agree. Unfortunately the Estate will never freely admit fault on their end because that would mean a lot of people asking for their $$$ back and they ain't gonna pony it up :unsure:

Totally agree. Unfortunately the Estate will never freely admit fault on their end because that would mean a lot of people asking for their $$$ back and they ain't gonna pony it up :unsure:

The estate can keep their money as far as I'm concerned. I just want to see those songs removed from Michael's official discography

barbee0715;4109031 said:
I hate to ask this, because I myself get irritated when people don't go back through threads before asking questions-and I tried, but it was taking SOOO LONG-(it is 83 pages). What are the remedies that you are talking about-or where can I find that in the thread. I did not realize that if they were found to be truly fraudulent, they wouldn't be removed from Michael's discography. Isn't that the only possible recourse?

And do you mean a public apology from the Cascios and LaPorte? (if proved fraudulent).

I do not feel irritation "when people don't go back through threads before asking questions." I am glad you asked because the question unasked is the only foolish question.

I do not remember where I read the document.

For the remedies I will quote myself because it is my understanding of the document. If others understood the document differently, I cannot speak to that.

Tygger;4021887 said:
Regarding the legal remedies being sought, it is basically reimbursement of court costs and such, monies for the class, and the defendants would not be allowed to continue to sell the Cascio tracks.

Provided this goes to trial and results in a favorable verdict, it will not be mandatory that any defendant issue a public apology and these songs can still remain in Michael’s catalog, just not sold. Michael is not the victor.

Estate/Sony was not included in the fraud claim despite their participation so they have been spared.

Tygger;4023699 said:
Kapital77, it is not mandatory that the songs be removed from Michael’s catalog. This is why I found the remedies (and claims) of this lawsuit to be weak. The remedies for this lawsuit are restitution from all defendants and punitive damages from those accused of fraud for a select group of purchasers (California, U.S. from June 2011-June 2014) and future prevention of placing these tracks in the position to be sold. This means if the lawsuit goes to trial and the defendants are found liable, the Cascio tracks will be removed from any future sales of the Michael cd and the Itunes collection. I do not know how the Immortal show or the Immortal cd would be handled. There is NO mention of these tracks being removed from Michael’s catalog which is the only true victory for Michael in my view.

As for an apology, this continues to be my view below.

Tygger;4023821 said:
Whoisit89, Ivy, I am not against your views and I do not believe your views are incorrect. I believe it depends on how you define Arista being willing to admit the error as apologies can be written and/or expressed through action. I personally appreciated that Arista removed those songs from their catalog before lawsuits were filed. Whether one is looking for the actually word sorry or not in their settlement statement, they did indeed reimburse those who sought restitution through the settlement. Apology accepted in my view.

I am a poster who would like to see the Estate/Sony apologize for what I believe to be their participation in a fraud. I am like others who have stated they believe the Estate/Sony did not know the songs were not authentic initially. Despite doubts being raised; they continued to push those songs on a grieving public as Michael Jackson songs and that is unforgiveable to me. I have my own theories as to why the Cascio tracks were so attractive to the Estate in particular but, I will not list those theories here.

I believe a public apology to Michael is necessary because they are the gatekeepers of Michael’s musical legacy since Michael passed. Michael solidified his musical legacy and Estate/Sony can very well tarnish it with such actions. That was not the case with Arista so yes, I expect much more from Estate/Sony than Arista. Of course, I understand a public apology most likely will not occur. I would be satisfied if the tracks would at the very least be removed from Michael’s catalog. However; there is no mandatory effort for such a removal so, I see no victory for Michael.

TinnyandOdd;4109040 said:

analogue;4109042 said:
The estate can keep their money as far as I'm concerned. I just want to see those songs removed from Michael's official discography

TinnyandOdd, Analogue, minimal monies would come from the Estate or Sony if the defendants are found liable. Interestingly enough, they were not included in the fraud charges.

Analogue there is no legal scenario where it would be mandatory for those songs to be removed from Michael's discography as per this lawsuit which renders it weak in my view.

Last edited:

^^Thank you Tygger. I appreciate it.

I'm with Analogue here and I think the recourse should be (if found fraudulent) not just removing the songs from the album, but permanently removing them from his catalog.

The very first post on this thread has the document.

As for the lawsuit and remedies being asked, those are in line with California consumer laws. I don't think apology is a legal remedy.

Ah-I re-read 50 pages and it was on the first post!! :(. It's in a link I can't get on my phone. Thank you everybody.

Exactly this.

I'm with Analogue here and I think the recourse should be (if found fraudulent) not just removing the songs from the album, but permanently removing them from his catalog.

Anyone who heard these songs and know for fact that is not Michael would want those songs removed from Michael's catalog. It was simply an unforgivable act. Unfortunately, there is no legal scenario where it would be mandatory for those songs to be removed from Michael's discography; particularly in this weak lawsuit.

weren't they going to show 'proof' that it was MJ? whatever happened to that? lol

weren't they going to show 'proof' that it was MJ? whatever happened to that? lol

Are you speaking of the defense? They do not have to show proof of anything.

I taking about the Cascio family saying they have proof and that they were going to share!

I taking about the Cascio family saying they have proof and that they were going to share!

They are the defendants. The defense does not have to show proof of anything.

^ again.... I am talking about the fact that they stated they were going to show proof.. I'm not talking about any case specifically!

I understand however; they have had many years to show proof and have not produced it. There is no proof; it is not Michael.

lol! that was the point I was making indirectly.. In a smart @$$ way

I don't expect resolution of this issue; fans couldn't even agree that the Ford remix of One More Chance was mostly R. Kelly's vocals, even though the original track was released in MJ's lifetime, with R. Kelly's vocals on the final track, and R. Kelly WROTE THE SONG, and had works with MJ before. Seems to me the DJ just remixed an alternate take which was an R. Kelly demo. To me, the Cascio tracks are laughably poor imitations of previously released songs. At many points, the vocalist doesn't even sound like he's trying anymore. But hey, just my own opinion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=57f8IbA9yZs

Please enjoy this wonderful original Michael Jackson song, as long as it's on youtube:

:D

My favourite part is from 2:48 to 3:10.
Classic Michael Jackson.

To this day, I can't listen to these songs in full. They're THAT terrible.

Back