Feedback Requested: Bad25 Sales. Why low sales?

The reason why products from acts like The Beatles, Elvis, and to a lesser extent Bob Marley have had major success since their death (or since they split in the case of The Beatles) is because their products have appealed to a wider demographic, continuing to attract a new audience over time. Part of that is because the media loves them and the receive praise in every article (BAD25 - the album and documentary - seemed to achieve that, so they were successful in that way).

It's not like every Beatles and Elvis release was a success since their split/death. There is a thread we talked about it: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...ts-putting-Michael-s-prospects-into-a-context

It seems it takes time to build up anticipation again. And timing must be right. There was a Nr 1s compilation released for the Beatles in 1982. It bombed. It peaked at Nr 50 on Billboard. Then in 2000 the same idea, a Nr 1s compilation, was a huge success, Nr 1 all over the world.

It also has to be considered that for all these artists it's Greatest Hits compilations that tend to do well. That's what casual fans are most interested in for most artists, including the Beatles, Elvis and Marley. Problem is for Michael with that is that in the last 10 years of his life there have been a huge number of GH compilations released. Number Ones, Essential Michael Jackson, Ultimate Collection and after his death This Is It. So yet another GH would lead nowhere.

Number Ones, a 9 years old GH album, outsold Bad 25 this year in the US - so that kind of shows that also in Michael's case GH albums have more appeal to the general public than re-releases of individual albums. By the way, Number Ones outsold the Beatles' "1" album too this year.

Another factor is that Michael's catalog is much smaller than that of the Beatles or Elvis, so again that limits how many kind of compilations they are able to make of Michael's material. The next time a GH cmpilation of Michael will have the potential to be a mega hit is when there will appear another new media and it will appear on that for the first time. I think the big appeal of the Beatles "1" album was that it was the first time that a GH compilation of the Beatles was released on CD.

Last edited:
I'm entering some thoughts here from a person connected to the production and release of BAD25 FYI.

The idea of BAD 25 was never to break sales records from every demographic. Michael did that himself. It was historic, and can't be replicated. Neither is it simply to make Sony wealthier. The underlying purpose is to celebrate the BAD album and give it the respect it deserves. A corollary goal is to evaluate what fans want.

I'd like to know what is behind the poor sales. Whether it was buffering up old demos with new producers and new sounds for the Michael album, or leaving them alone for "BAD 25," there appears to be no shortage of controversy from unhappy MJ fans. Even so, this reissue--with demos, bonus tracks and remixes--received almost universal critical acclaim and has just been nominated NAACP album of the year.

It is not easy to please everyone. There was a fantastic LA Reid-produced track from the "Dangerous" sessions that we decided was best saved for an anniversary edition for "Dangerous," no matter how good it was. Reid thought it could be a hit on the radio RIGHT NOW and lobbied for it to be on BAD 25, but we wanted everything to be accurate. A radio hit wasn't the goal. A true historical accounting of the BAD sessions was.

Keep in mind that in later years, MJ's archives fell into disarray. There are those who assume that MJ maintained everything in the proper storage spaces with a staff to take care of it all. But as his world became financially complicated with multiple distractions towards the end, archiving his older unreleased material was understandably not the priority. The Wembley concert footage was a lucky find, but in extremely poor condition. No effort is spared to find and preserve priceless items like this-so that it can be made available to eager fans.

On another note, some folks oppose the release of his demos as it has been said that MJ was a perfectionist. Perhaps he wouldn't want every last demo out. However, he certainly wasn't opposed to releasing demos. He played a key role in selecting every track for his 2005 Ultimate Box Set, with many well-received demos among them.

Perhaps the MJ community can get the word out about BAD 25 via email, FB and Twitter in the next couple of weeks. For the holiday season, I hope fans consider picking up a copy for themselves, family, or friends.It is a positive thing for fans to focus on--not only because of the quality of its content, but because it ensures that the mining of MJ's catalog for more unreleased tracks, video, and so on will continue.

Thanks for posting this. I hope that bolded part is true. I hope they find the Bad Tour film reels in near future and will release them on dvd and possibly on blu-ray.

It's not like every Beatles and Elvis release was a success since their split/death. There is a thread we talked about it: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...ts-putting-Michael-s-prospects-into-a-context

It seems it takes time to build up anticipation again. And timing must be right. There was a Nr 1s compilation released for the Beatles in 1982. It bombed. It peaked at Nr 50 on Billboard. Then in 2000 the same idea, a Nr 1s compilation, was a huge success, Nr 1 all over the world.

It also has to be considered that for all these artists it's Greatest Hits compilations that tend to do well. That's what casual fans are most interested in for most artists, including the Beatles, Elvis and Marley. Problem is for Michael with that is that in the last 10 years of his life there have been a huge number of GH compilations released. Number Ones, Essential Michael Jackson, Ultimate Collection and after his death This Is It. So yet another GH would lead nowhere.

Number Ones, a 9 years old GH album, outsold Bad 25 this year in the US - so that kind of shows that also in Michael's case GH albums have more appeal to the general public than re-releases of individual albums. By the way, Number Ones outsold the Beatles' "1" album too this year.

Another factor is that Michael's catalog is much smaller than that of the Beatles or Elvis, so again that limits how many kind of compilations they are able to make of Michael's material. The next time a GH cmpilation of Michael will have the potential to be a mega hit is when there will appear another new media and it will appear on that for the first time. I think the big appeal of the Beatles "1" album was that it was the first time that a GH compilation of the Beatles was released on CD.

I agree with you, timing is a major factor.
Also, I was saying for years that Sony need to stop releasing Greatest Hits albums because it doesn't do any good. All they do is cannibalise sales from the studio albums and other greatest hits albums. Just think how MASSIVE Number 1s would have been in 2009 if Sony hadn't released King of Pop, The Essential MJ etc. They all sold well, but if it was only Number 1s it would have sold millions more around the world. I personally think Sony should delete all the other Greatest Hits packages and whenever they want to promote the hits, just repackage Number 1s. Anyway, that's a side point.

Sure, not all Elvis and Beatles products have been a success so there is hope that in years to come MJ will have MASSIVE success like that again but it's not certain.

^^ Yes, I agree about GH albums. For example, I want Thriller's sales to continue to grow. It grows but it's definitely less than if we wouldn't have so many GH albums with 4-5 songs out of 9 from Thriller + songs from other albums on them. Casual fans rather buy those than individual studio albums. So I also kind of hope that they they will slowly draw out all the GH albums from the market, with the exception of maybe one - so that even if someone wants a GH album the sales of that will be focused on one album, not shared between so many versions. Also in order to prepare anticipation for an upcoming GH release in the far future (ie. in 10-20 years) a la Beatles "1".

adding comments I received via email

---------------------------

From Jo

I think it has everything to do with the bickering amongst the fans and the fact a large group of fans are aginst the estate refusing to buy anything that is released after MJ died.
There is also the while thing with the first album after June 25th "Michael" which made alot of fans suspicious .
And we are in a crisis, where buying albums is not the first priority. Also, most of the older fans already have all the songs of the BAD album and are maybe not that tempted to
buy another one, despite of the demo tracks.

-------------------------------------------------

From YH

Hello,
Thank you for involving fans in gathering feedback on the album.
Firstly, while I was opposed to the album Michael, because it seemed to opportunistic, I am not so for Bad25 and wouldn't be so for Dangerous either. However, I simply cannot bring myself to trust Sony again after Mr. Jackson's problems with especially Tommy Mottola.
Secondly, I don't enjoy remixes. If the sound quality is improved, that's fine but I prefer songs in their original state. I am not for releasing demos either. Mr. Jackson may have approved to do so once before but he is not able to give his consent now.
Thirdly, from a UK and rest of Europe perspective, marketing has been weak. I absolutely LOVED the Bad25 documentary and wish it was released in theaters. But other than the documentary, the marketing over Europe seemed non-existent.
Truthfully, I would only consider to purchase Bad25 for the concert footage. I hoped that my husband would get it for my birthday but he didn't. Songs are downloadable and we already all have the originals anyway, so we see no need to download them again.
In conclusion, I do want Mr. Jackson's children to earn money and like to see the historical albums be re-released. But when something is associated with Sony, there is distrust. On the marketing side of things, more things like the documentary and more hype around it would help as well as airing concert footage or full concert on TV and other mediums. I believe that seeing the concerts once again would remind people of talent, greatness and excitement as well as recruit the younger generation.

this is not an "official" request and not coming from MJ Estate.

During a discussion a Sony employee mentioned low sales and his desire to get feedback for understanding the reasons. I volunteered to open a thread. It was a win-win for everyone. We all could provide feedback to the parties involved and get our voice heard and hopefully improve the future releases.

My understanding the sales numbers was about US sales. The US sales was just under 100,000 but (again according to my understanding) they expected 200,000. (I might be wrong but that's what I gathered)

Given the fact that Michael album sold 600,000 copies in USA, 1/3 of that number 200,000 seems to be a realistic expectation for a re-release and under 100,000 seems to be disappointingly low.

Obviously poor sales is a threat for future releases
Sorry, i thought its official request. :doh:

well we know how the situation regarding sales in the US is, so i'm not suprissed.
and he did sell after his death alot there.
I compare the deluxe edition to TUC. If I remember right TUC sold only 50k in the US. so the close to 100k B25 (all versions) seems decent.
cause even if you're die hard fan, there's no need to buy the standart edition, beside maybe as collectable. so to me only the deluxe edtion and the separate dvd are worth buying.

If they expected ~200k (all versions together), i agree its realistic expectation, considering the great contend (deluxe). but again TUC was great too, and sold ~500k WW. the problem there was the price.

And I think Sony should have already know that MJ is more about global sales and thats what counts.

I really hope we get some global sales numbers of all versions and the dvd by the end of the year. I'm sure they would be alot better.

lynande51;3751528 said:
I don't know what the reason is for the low sales. I can say however that one reason is that there are just to many ill informed fans that refuse to buy from Sony or anything that is endorsed by the Estate. I wish everyone were more well informed about the back story behind what happened. I think it is time that fans realize that they are only short changing themselves and denying other fans the opportunity to enjoy future releases if it comes to that. I think it is time to forget all that and remember who it is that is singing on the album and who it is that is dancing on that stage and just sit back and enjoy the fact that you can see him once again.
Well said. I wish people would think about how such boycotts and constant negativity in the fan community will affect Michael’s legacy. It’s so frustrating that some Michael fans refuse to support Michael because they’re on some pointless crusade against the Estate or Sony. The only people who suffer from such boycotts are Michael’s fans, and in the end Michael himself.

bobmoo79;3751598 said:
Anyway, BAD25 was a brilliant opportunity to capitalise what many people consider to be MJ's last great album so it's sad to see that it failed. I don't think the MJ EState or Sony can have any greater success with Dangerous or HIStory after this, but it would be great to try. Perhaps if LA Reid is right and there really is a great single to be released from his Dangerous sessions, maybe they can tweak that for Dangerous25 and have a hit single. That would (IMO) go a long way to securing a succesful anniversary package. The MJ Estate and Sony would have to be prepared for potential backlash from the closed minded fans about updating the single for today's audience but I for one would be happy as long as it was a hit. Perhaps they should include the updated single as well as the original track in the package for the purists.
I agree that it’s important to have a hit single, something that shows that Michael is not just some pop relic of the 1980s, but that he’s an amazing artist who can still appeal to the audience today. I would totally support it if they updated an old song and released it as a single. But I agree that they should include both the updated version and the original demo. I think too many fans would be angry if they included only an updated version, and besides, it would be interesting to hear both the original and the updated version.

They should've made Al Capone as a single. I'm sure the radio would love to play it. Who can't dig that song?

Yes, I agree, that a single and a video is a must to promote an album. But not cheap and un-creative videos like for the Michael album! They have to be interesting for the general public. That won't go without investing into top quality work by some top talented artists (for example, a really talented and creative director).

They should've made Al Capone as a single. I'm sure the radio would love to play it. Who can't dig that song?

Sorry I just can't see it.
Like any track from the 80s it would need some substantial rework to make it appeal to todays audience, unless of course you're referring to adult radio (e.g. those playing hits from the 80s).

Just wondering if an outside but highly publicized event that happened this summer before the release of Bad 25 products affected sales. I am talking about the fiasco surrounding the disappearance and unknown location of Katherine Jackson and the surrounding media furor. The whole thing got heavily played in the media and from the comments I read online people were having a very negative reaction to it as far as losing respect for the adult members of the Jackson family. Maybe they just turned off to anything with the Jackson name, even Michael, who of course, had nothing to do with this summer's debacle.

The negative publicity made it hard in that atmosphere to gather positives for Bad 25, although I think Spike Lee did a wonderful job of speaking up about Michael's work on 'Bad.'

What do you think about releasing albums built around themes, either in terms of content or musical style (rather than about greatest hits compliations or historical re-releases)? Ballads, love songs, protest songs, charity/humanitarian songs, remixes, unreleased tracks, etc.? Just a thought. Maybe could work? I love Michael's ballads and I really like the ballads on Bad and the new unreleased ballads on Bad 25 (Free, I'm So Blue).

Sorry I just can't see it.
Like any track from the 80s it would need some substantial rework to make it appeal to todays audience, unless of course you're referring to adult radio (e.g. those playing hits from the 80s).
If you stand by the opinion that todays audience needs music that have to sound "current" (which I almost agree with since their taste sucks), then it will almsot be impossible for MJ to go on the toplist on the radio

If you stand by the opinion that todays audience needs music that have to sound "current" (which I almost agree with since their taste sucks), then it will almsot be impossible for MJ to go on the toplist on the radio
Slave to the Rhythm if released would set Michael on top again, know it's a re-work or whatever but it's a brilliant one, imo

I really feel it has to be because of the Immortal shows, so people who attended the shows bought the CD later.

It's what normally happens at gigs.

Went to the first night at the 02, the CD was on sale in about 3 different places so if it was like that every night all over the world, then I can imagine decent sales.

I don't know why sales were low but I do know that the advertising in the UK was pathetic - and I saw no mention of the release or the documentary anywhere, not even in music/video stores.

The o2 Arena and whoever promoted Immortal was a disgrace - no advertisements on the subway station boards, nothing outside the o2 and nothing inside apart from the bars and restaurants who provided the only atmosphere prior to the show.

The Album itself is brilliant - the demo's and unreleased material are absolutely wonderful - the dvd is spectacular and the close-ups of Michael instead of the crowd are far more exciting than any of the previously released concert footage.

I loved it - I'm really excited about the possibility of History in 3d and more demo material - because Michael's demo's are so touching and so damned exciting compared to everything else out there today.

Please don't stop providing this treasure which true fans take to their hearts and which becomes a part of our very fabric. We are so determined that MJ's Legacy and genius last forever and slowly, but slowly the magic and L.O.V.E that is Michael Joseph Jackson is reaching a new generation.

Reactions: EML
BAD25 was great! I love the new songs. Spike's doc was wonderful positive PR for both MJ and BAD25 however it needed to be shown everywhere in theaters like TII. I thought the DVD of Wembley was absolutely amazing... raw pure MJ up close! LOVED IT! The general public seems to not have responded to the PR for BAD25 as it was aimed at the MJ Fans. Also I could do without the remixes as I rarely like those; however I was told by my son that in the clubs they love them. That's at a club level BUT not to buy the set or even the CD. Today everyone downloads so being down in sales on CDs isn't surprising for ANY artist. It would be interesting to know the sales on all CDs in comparison to BAD25.

I loved Bad 25 and to see the Wembley concert was great. When Michael was here he could promote things just by being there, his name alone. Now people know he is gone and they have to promote it differently. I see people saying the same thing. They hardly saw any promotion, ads, commecials or even the pepsi cans.

Maybe they are doing too many projects at the same time. They are focusing on cirque de soleil shows that is doing well all over the world. One thing money can't buy is respect and I think Bad and Michael got a little more respect because of Bad 25. It was nice to see the appreciation. Maybe that can carry on to other albums in the future.

People keep mentioning the Michael album. Can I be honest here? I realy don't think the general public really had any idea about the controversy. It was a huge issue for the fan community but I really don't believe it was an issue for the public. The public is still debating if Michael hurt children then about any songs. I would rather the public try to see the truth about Michael. Out of anything that hurt Michael the most. I want that fixed for him as much as possible.

I find that when something is well promoted like This is It, the immortal tour and the wii experience it does well. I feel that Bad 25 was still a success anyways because it reminded people again what we lost and how special Michael was. It also gave Michael back some respect he deserves and that should not have been stripped of him in the first place.

People keep mentioning the Michael album. Can I be honest here? I realy don't think the general public really had any idea about the controversy. It was a huge issue for the fan community but I really don't believe it was an issue for the public. The public is still debating if Michael hurt children then about any songs. I would rather the public try to see the truth about Michael. Out of anything that hurt Michael the most. I want that fixed for him as much as possible.

General public are irrelevant. Millions of fans will boycott every project released by the Estate until they fix what they messed up. And they know that, they know why Bad 25 sales are low, they are just pretending to be surprised.

There are other small reasons why the sales are low, like remixes, packaging, poor promotion.. but the 2 main reasons are DVD quality and of course Cascio tracks released on Michael album.

I had to ask in store for them as they were not out on the shelves on the 1st day of release

Same here. Many stores where Im from didnt have the CD and had no clue what I were talking about when I asked them. They had to check their computers to tell me if they had the CD in store or not.

I found the CD in a departmentstore but they only had the standard 2 CD and nothing more. It wasnt displayed visible at all so one had to go to MJs section and find it. Not every fan keeps up with information regarding new releases etc so how would they know about the new cd if its not even advertised in stores.

Also, I had to order the DVD online because the stores I went to didnt have it. Again, only fans following MJ news would probably know about a DVD.

Who do the Estate want to target? Only fans or the general public as well? How's the general public gonna find out if there are no-existing marketing.

4) The Live CD is the first ever and probably only live Michael Jackson album, yet it's not even available as a standalone product.

5) "I'm So Blue" or "Al Capone" should have been sent out to radio stations as promo singles.

Agree.

Last edited:
I pretty much agree with what most people have already said....Lack of promotion is the BIGGEST problem in my opinion. I don't think it had anything do with the Cascio controversy - the public barely knows about, likely completely forgot about it.

If people don't know about a release, they won't go out looking for it. Period. To me, great promotion is one in which you don't have to lift a single finger to know it's there. It should be in your face, everywhere, all over the place.

I saw a few commercials for the release, and one commercial for the documentary, but absolutely nothing else. No displays in the stores, no Pepsi cans (I even had someone hunting in three different states for me in the US, and they found nothing). If I wasn't a member of this forum, I would have probably had no idea that this was being released. I was lucky I saw the commercials I did because I actually never watch TV.

Also, I don't really think the general public, or casual MJ fan are interested in buying the album AGAIN. They likely already have it from back in the day, and let's face it - they are not really interested in demos. There wasn't much for them to get excited about, really....Except for the concert, maybe.

So yeah, no promotion.

Last edited:
General public are irrelevant. Millions of fans will boycott every project released by the Estate until they fix what they messed up. And they know that, they know why Bad 25 sales are low, they are just pretending to be surprised.

There are other small reasons why the sales are low, like remixes, packaging, poor promotion.. but the 2 main reasons are DVD quality and of course Cascio tracks released on Michael album.

I think the majority of fans are willing to access each release individually. This project was all Michael...his voice, his concert, his demos and behind the scenes film. Also, the Estate has already acknowledged their error in (over) producing the songs on 'Michael', as evidenced by the raw demos on BAD25. I may be just one person, but I'm not boycotting what is clearly Michael's work because of earlier perceived errors. The question is...why would fans not be willing to get behind a project clearly aimed at promoting and gaining much deserved respect for the work ethic and perfectionism so clearly evident here. Spike's doc was and is universally praised yet is still an Estate/Sony project. Maybe you could suggest something about this particular release that could be improved or changed on future projects ie//how would you improve the packaging and promotion? Thanks.

I pretty much agree with what most people have already said....Lack of promotion is the BIGGEST problem in my opinion. I don't think it had anything do with the Cascio controversy - the public barely knows about, likely completely forgot about it.

If people don't know about a release, they won't go out looking for it. Period. To me, great promotion is one in which you don't have to lift a single finger to know it's there. It should be in your face, everywhere, all over the place.

I saw a few commercials for the release, and one commercial for the documentary, but absolutely nothing else. No displays in the stores, no Pepsi cans (I even had someone hunting in three different states for me in the US, and they found nothing). If I wasn't a member of this forum, I would have probably had no idea that this was being released. I was lucky I saw the commercials I did because I actually never watch TV.

Also, I don't really think the general public, or casual MJ fan are interested in buying the album AGAIN. They likely already have it from back in the day, and let's face it - they are not really interested in demos. There wasn't much for them to get excited about, really....Except for the concert, maybe.

So yeah, no promotion.

I agree, the lack of promotion I believe is the real reason. Despite no cans in Canada and me quitting Pepsi I did manage to get 2 cans from the US on eBay and 3 cans from my Polish penpal.

The general public is relevant. They can't just rely on fans buying products. You want more people to become fans and Michael to be relevant for future generations. I was telling people about Bad 25 and they had no idea about it. You want to reach out.

The fans are important too and they should look at concerns and issues. It's too bad if some people are boycotting everything.

Last edited:

Thank you for saying this. I agree. For the general public it's not the Michael album that hurts Michael's legacy the most, but the allegations. Therefore I wish some fans would put as much energy into educating themselves about the allegations to be able to answer to skeptics with facts and intelligently, as they put into stuff like boycotting Sony and the Estate and debating the Michael album. I'm not saying it should not be debated. I talk about priorities and being aware of what really hurts Michael's legacy in the eyes of the general public.

And no, the general public is NOT irrelevant. If you want something to be a mega hit sales wise you just NEED the general public.

I think the majority of fans are willing to access each release individually. This project was all Michael...his voice, his concert, his demos and behind the scenes film. Also, the Estate has already acknowledged their error in (over) producing the songs on 'Michael', as evidenced by the raw demos on BAD25. I may be just one person, but I'm not boycotting what is clearly Michael's work because of earlier perceived errors. The question is...why would fans not be willing to get behind a project clearly aimed at promoting and gaining much deserved respect for the work ethic and perfectionism so clearly evident here. Spike's doc was and is universally praised yet is still an Estate/Sony project. Maybe you could suggest something about this particular release that could be improved or changed on future projects ie//how would you improve the packaging and promotion? Thanks.

That is not a fact. Go on twitter, go on youtube, or other MJ forums. I won't say majority, but half of the fanbase are really disappointed, deeply saddened with what Estate didn't do yet, it has been 2 years and they did not remove those songs from MJ's discography. And until they do that those fans will not buy anything new. It's not about how good or bad the product really is, it's about principles.

I can suggest many things about this particular release that could have been improved or changed, I talked about that since day 1.
1. DVD should NOT have been released, not in this quality, it's disrespectful. Any other show could have been used even Yokohama or no concert at all, but bluray with all short films from the album in HD.
2. Remixes should NOT have been on the main album, but just Pepsi promos, Pepsi campaign sucked big time. 1 billion cans.. Where?
3. Promotion was bad as usual, but it is Sony and MJ so that's nothing new. But this time promotion was very weird, Spike Lee documentary was too late, Pepsi cans were not available in all stores and in all countries.
4. Spike Lee documentary featured Justin Bieber, Chris Brown, Cee-Lo, Kanye & Mariah and again very poor quality Wembley footage (he could have used Man In The Mirror from Moonwalker and IJCSLY from Yokohama). And BAD25 should have been a celebration, so why does he talk about MJ's death?
5. Packaging was bad, because album was unable to enter the Billboard chart, 3CD package was too expensive. Live CD should have been 2CD's released separately, and BAD25 should have been 1 or 2 CD's without remixes and featured more original songs (released or unreleased), like Cheater, Come Together, full version of Smooth Criminal, Scared Of The Moon...
6. Bad singles choice (IJCSLY and Bad feat. Shitbull) and no music videos. They could have used studio footage from recording session of IJCSLY and make a great video. Also one of Rodney Jerkins tracks from Bad era (Get Around, Chicago 1945, Cheater) which were all reworked for Invincible album could have been used as a strong first single. Finished song with modern sound and current production by Rodney Jerkins who is still very popular today. Of course done with respect and according to MJ wishes with original demo released as B-side. That could have created big buzz, go to #1 and make more people aware of the album.

Last edited:
There was no advertising at all here. It's also my believe lack of promotion had to do with it.

Something different, maybe an idea for the Estate:

Make a documentary or something about all the people Michael helped in his lifetime and bring them together from all over the world. Let them talk about how Michael made a difference in their lives or maybe without Michael they wouldn't be even here and what he did to help them. There must be hundreds (maybe thousands, who knows) of them. The general public (and we also) are unaware of how many sick and unfortunate people he helped.

Just an idea.

Back