Feedback Requested: Bad25 Sales. Why low sales?

I bought the deluxe edition. There was something for everyone and at a price to suit most pockets. Loved the thought that went behind it all but disappointed at the lack of promoting it. Also feel if the Bad25 documentary had come out before anything else it could have made a huge difference.

I'll try to translate what i written on an Italian forum:

Without a shred of decent promotion (I mean rotations in big radio and big music TVs) you do not get a million copies with a re-release (it was their target). The only promotion was made by Spike Lee's documentary and in some countries by Pepsi. In the end, we seen the bad results. Another wrong point was to stake everything on demos and three remixes catch-posers, that they ignored. It was as clear as sun that only fans would buy the product, especially the expensive box sets that a casual buyer would not have bought it.

I think Sony and Estate have the conception that the Michael Jackson name on the cover is enough for a safe sale. It can be so with the fans, but not with most of the mass, that before they buy an album they listen it on the internet (until a few years ago with the headphones in the stores).

Anyway, promotion aside, the failure of Bad 25 goes back to the beginning. The most important point of a project is the goal. Depending on what is your goal, so you have to work. Take the case of re-issues. If your goal is to give the demos/rarities to the fans, Bad 25 is good, but you should not expect big sales. If your goal is to sell and at the same time building up of consensus among a young audience, you have to go in the opposite direction. A few demos/rarities (just to please the fans, so you can sell to them too) and more material reworked with the hottest names of the moment. As done with Thriller 25.

In conclusion, the entire project was set wrong from the beginning. They made a product for fans, under the pretense of pleasure to the new audience. Adding to the lack of proper promotion ....... well, I would say that failure is assured.

The main problem IMO is promotion and marketing. The Estate didn't promote this album well enough. I know there are ads and other promotional stuff but I live in Singapore but I did not see a single effort to promote Bad 25, not even a poster outside music stores. If they had put in the effort to promoted in every country, Bad 25 would definitely catch the audience's eyes.

I know this had what most of the fans (including me) wanted, but there are still some mistakes made in Bad 25.
Firstly, the remixes. We all heard the remixes and the remix by Afrojack ft. Pitbull is awful. They shouldn't have included that remix in. The fans want demos and unreleased songs, we don't need remixes. However, if the Estate really want remixes, they should release a short snippet of it to the fans and the public and get reviews from it.
Secondly, the Estate should have released more singles. There's only two singles currently, I Just Can't Stop Loving You and the Bad remix. The Estate should release singles of the demos such as I'm So Blue and Al Capone. Those singles would bring up sales of Bad 25.

The Estate should be releasing Spike Lee's documentary as a theatrical release worldwide. The public would want to find out how Michael Jackson made such an amazing album that could generate such great success.

OnirMJ;3751909 said:
General public are irrelevant. Millions of fans will boycott every project released by the Estate until they fix what they messed up. And they know that, they know why Bad 25 sales are low, they are just pretending to be surprised.
But how do we know there are millions of MJ fans out there, who’d just love to buy this album if it weren’t for the Cascio controversy? I’m sure there are a few of such fans, but millions? It’s just quite hard to believe. On certain MJ forums it might seem like a lot of fans are angrily boycotting any Sony release, but people who post on fan forums represent only a small percentage of the entire fan base. We can’t really make any assumptions about the majority of fans based on a small but vocal minority.

My opinion is that there are 2 audiences here--one, the fans, the other, the general public. What the fans want may be diametrically opposed to what the general public wants--I said MAY. The fans apparently prefer unreleased, unfinished tracks, so they can be satisified about authenticity. The general public IMO wants great music, something they can enjoy listening to, dancing to, and they are not such purists compared to the fans. Can new releases satisfy both groups? I am not sure about it b/c the standards seem so different. This makes it hard for the Estate to bridge the different groups. They are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to satisfying the fans and having substantial sales IMO.

The fans practically demanded unfinished tracks and got them, but did the Estate get the sales they hoped for? No. And yet are they then going to do more promotion, put more $$ in, in future? Probably not, if the sales are going to be like this.

On the other hand,if a 2 disk CD for Bad25 sells 88,000 in USA, isn't it really selling 178,000 disks? Not that 'bad.'

Had the concert been Blu-Ray quality, that would have no doubt helped its sales. That was the best quality they could find of the Wembley show with the royals. The reason they chose that show was because of the multi-track and because it was "Wembley." I would have preferred the 1989 shows over the Wembley show.

I don't think the quality of the Wembley concert would have mattered. Now as a standalone? maybe

The quality of the Wembley concert only matters to the people who look above and beyond when it comes to Michael Jackson releases; not necessarily a bad thing, but it could lead to disappointment. And if people didn't like the quality of Wembley, don't buy it. They could easily have bought the 2-disc standalone release.

I don't think the quality of the Wembley concert would have mattered. Now as a standalone? maybe

Wembley was released as a standalone, along with the first two discs.

Sad to hear the sells weren't that great. I feel it had to do with lack of proper promotion. In my opinion it was lacking. The Pepsi cans should have been promoted closer or around the album when it came out as well as the the Spike Lee Doc. Instead we had these things months before and after the album. That didn't make sense to me. And a great single would have been ideal from one of the demos. I like "Don't be messin around" but, in comparison to the other demos that sounded less like a demo such as Al Capone it lack a punch to get attention.

If some fans fear songs being touched, well I think we know why?! Not are fault though, they were warned. That is just something the Estate/Sony just gonna have to figure out. Everything about that has been said and done and talked to deaf about. The only way to fix that is with another post album done the right way, and maybe people's faith in future projects can be restore If indeed that's what cause the low sells of BAD25 too? =/

Last edited:
We fans are always already trying to stay in touch with more news almost literally every hour of every day. There's not one piece of new info that gets past us. Maybe for Dangerous 25 (which hopefully will be bluray) The estate should try their best to advertise on websites, TV channels, and radio stations that are considered "hip" for the this generation of kids / teens. This way both the MJ fanbase AND millions of kids who probably never even heard of the "Dangerous" album or tour will find this like a new "hip" release and would wanna check it out... and knowing MJ, what ever they liked to listen to or watch before... MJ can do x10 times better! Im serious this could really work!

I'm not sure about the quality of the DVD as a reason. I also disagree with those who say the concert should not have been released in this qulaity. Queen's Hungarian Rhapsody was shot on film reels, it was brought up here as an example of a great quality concert. Well, Wembley 1988 sold better and it still charts higher on Amazon than Hungarian Rhapsody, despite of HR being released later... IMO the DVD is probably the most successful part of the release. But it doesn't count into the sales of the album.

Yes, if it had been HD it probably would have sold even better. I hope they will find Bad Tour film reels in the future and release HD Bad Tour concerts.

I think that "request" for feedback and what this thread should be is "why we fans did not buy B25".

the general public should be left out.

quote ivy: During a discussion a Sony employee mentioned low sales and his desire to get feedback for understanding the reasons.
There's a request to gather feedback from the fans especially about why they didn't buy Bad 25 as well as what could be done to improve the sales numbers.

So we are asking you to provide feedback to the interested parties. Please explain
- your reasons to not buy / buy Bad 25
- any criticism
- any improvements

its not about why people not buying it, but where is the problem we don't. we should not generalize the reasons why its not selling in general.
It may be just my opinion, but again this anniversary release is mainly for the fans. cause general public have no reason to buy it. only the separate release of wembley dvd is target to the public.
thats the reason there wasn't big promotion everyone is expecting.

Last edited:
^^ The quesion in the title is "Why low sales?" Well, IMO for really big sales the general public is needed. If it was only a release for the fans then the problem is maybe with Sony/the Estate's expectations. Fan releases will never really be huge sellers, IMO.

lom kit The Sony employee is making an assumption that the fans didn't buy it due to a particular problem with the product. They (Sony) should be promoting it properly and attracting other buyers too, not only MJ fans. Anyway, MJs entire fan base doesn't come to MJJC or other fan forums. Perhaps there are loads of MJ fans who didn't see the (very inadequate) promotion! Why limit themselves to only MJ fans? That's stupid. Low sales are because other people didn't buy the album either, not just MJ fans.

Bad 25 - Feedback

First i've to say that the whole Bad25 Project, from the beginnings with the teasing with the new Bad25-Logo, to pepsi designs & subsequent release of the cans & bottles (in parts) of around the world, to the release of "Don't Be Messin' 'Round", the eagerly awaited announcement and following presentation of the full track list, the opening the new designed website & finally the release of the different BAD25 editions WAS A GREAT DEAL OF FUN & WAS VERY EXCITING & KEPT ME 'BADDING' the whole year.
I thank & salute the Estate for trying to recreate some flashes of the Bad Era, which (for me) culminated in listening to the new songs/demos, watching the wembley performance & watching Spike's oscarworthy Bad25 documentation in october (on VOX, cause i'm from Germany).
As a hardcore fan i was excited & entertained the whole year, of course most of the times it was eagerly waiting...
And there's the point, as a hardcore fan it was perfect to have the things spread out over some month too have something from it a little longer.
Public & casual fans don't have the time nor the interest in waiting month from release of some teasers, tv-ad's or cans, to release of the album & again month later the docu on television.
So the docu def should have been closer to, or very shortly before, the release.
The packages were some if not THE best MJ product we ever got (i don't compare to a full MJ authorized new album release), maybe for some the collectors case could have been a little more affordable (170 Euros incl. shipping cost is maybe a little too much, even for some fans).
Let's break it down:

CD 1: The classic. Perfect. What more can they give? ;)

CD 2: I liked 'Messin' a lot and every other demo/new song topped 'Messin'. I didn't expect six 'new' songs for this release & i am still blown away by the quality of these six songs. Capone, Blue & Fame are the BOMB.
A minus on cd2 was that they put nearly the same remix twice on there. What makes it hurt even more is, that they didn't make something out of the remixes. What was their purpose? Speed Demon Remix is such a great treat they should have made more out of this. Everyone i showed it, loved it, fan or not.
There should have been a double A side single, with Speed Demon Remix & Al Capone or Price Of Fame. With two video clips & heavy radio & club rotation. If you don't expose the remixes to the young generation, leave them off the album.

CD 3: MJ live vocals - on a perfect recording! AAA+++

DVD: What can i say? I didn't quiet understand the absolutely HUGE hype about the wembley show(s) that was surrounding it. I mean, come on: MJ is THE MAESTRO on any given night, his performances are all always on a very high level. How could this one show be on a whole another level as the other bad tour shows? To me, this would sound unfair. Maybe he gave the little extra on that night because of Lady Di, but i can't imagine the other shows were really a lower standard. So to me, the fans created a hype about this particular show which was a little too high.
As to the quality: The sound is awesome! Picture made me a little cringe too watch it with my wife on our 46" flatscreen... But i'll take a so so quality MJ concert DVD over getting none, all the time. Nonetheless i hope for a HD concert release in the future, preferable Bad or Dangerous shows, because of the more live vocals. (Though i have to mention that all MJ-tours were great. And HIStory was the greatest spectacle, musical like show, with some of his finest dancing.)

So all in all the content of the 3 editions is great (and 100% better than what we got the last couple of years, with Greatest Hits after Greatest Hits), with a slight minus for the dvd quality and the relatively high price for the collectors suit case.

What can the estate do better next time?
Just some thoughts:
-Maybe three different editions is one edition too much. Especially when the sales don't count together.
-They should aim at one group, not trying to reach all. If you make a high quality fan package, make a perfect one, leave off the remixes & try to give us HD video content the next time.
-If you want too reach the young generation, release decent remixes (Nero) and then go to work with these remixes & make something happen with them.
-If there is promotion, give it the chance to have an impact: A proper single release, the Spike Lee docu & pepsi cans in every corner AT THE SAME TIME - then the release!
-If you remaster a classic album, don't do it with the loudness in mind. Do it the AUDIOPHILE way. Give us the dynamic of MJ recordings, the full spectrum of high quality sound.

And...
Generally i think there is an over saturation in MJ-products to the GENERAL public, since 2009. Expecting millions of sales of the Bad album, which was bought millions of times in 2009 & 35 million times before 2009 is not realistic. Especially with the situation in the music business (downloads, single-artists, etc). Few are buying an album for 10 bucks anymore, so even fewer will buy an (25 year old) album for 30 bucks, EXCEPT FOR THE FANS. So make the release PERFECT for the fans.

Maybe this idea of an MJ collectors label, with higher prices, more HIGH QUALITY releases, is a good idea for concerts & rereleases.
Give the fans all the songs/demos, as Michael left them.

If there is another album of fully unreleased material around the corner, avoid any controversy regarding the authenticity of the vocals.
Do with the instrumentation what needs to be done, to make it impact the current market. But give the fans also the original demos.
The next "new" album should be PERFECT, as the 'Michael' release already had the right to be & be a worldwide hit.

lom kit The Sony employee is making an assumption that the fans didn't buy it due to a particular problem with the product. They (Sony) should be promoting it properly and attracting other buyers too, not only MJ fans. Anyway, MJs entire fan base doesn't come to MJJC or other fan forums. Perhaps there are loads of MJ fans who didn't see the (very inadequate) promotion! Why limit themselves to only MJ fans? That's stupid. Low sales are because other people didn't buy the album either, not just MJ fans.
Exactly. He wants to know what and why WE, and not why its selling low in general.

And i think the "inadequate" promotion, is just an excuse for others to hide the real reason why they didn't buy this product.
where the reasons are obvious.

Fans should stop see every release as major release as "Michael" album was.
Was there any promotion for the 2001 special editions? NO! they still did sell.
and this release was nothing different.

they didn't launch BIIIGGG promotion as you all want, cause they know very well that there was no need for that. even with promotion you all want to see, B25 would't sell more.
It was just an re-release to celebrate the 25th birthday of the album.

they know very well, that this re-release will not arouse regular music buyrs interest.
thats why they released the live dvd separately.
thats why the deluxe edition, so fans to have reason to buy it. cause else none of you would have spend money for 5 new songs/demos.

for the purpose of this release, the promotion was enough.

there was many news articles with the anouncement and during the release, the pepsi thing (that failed for some reason), Spike lee's docu. for such release this IS enough. Just time-wise coud have been executed better.

they know very well that if they launch big promotion campaign, it will make them lose.
the calculation of what this could sell and how much promotion is needed is reasonable set.

Just they didn't expect that the prejudices of some fans will effect this so much.

And i think the "inadequate" promotion, is just an excuse for others to hide the real reason why they didn't buy this product.
where the reasons are obvious.

This isn't necessarily true for all of us who have said that promotion was lacking. I bought the product, yet I still feel that the promotion was inadequate. Pretty much the only reason I knew about this whole release is because I am a member of this forum.

Don't aim for sales, aim for quality. For the most part Bad 25 did that. It is sad when a very good release like Bad 25 can be seen as a failure by the people who produced it due to unrealistic expectations.

The quality of the Wembley concert only matters to the people who look above and beyond when it comes to Michael Jackson releases; not necessarily a bad thing, but it could lead to disappointment. And if people didn't like the quality of Wembley, don't buy it. They could easily have bought the 2-disc standalone release.

Wembley was released as a standalone, along with the first two discs.

I know. I meant if it had been released solely as a standalone

IMO BAD25 was in no way an inferior product. It was Great.
It was created to appeal to veteran fans, new fans, the general public and young people alike.

It had everything included to do just that. It offered way more than fans ever expected. We were told in advance the DVD would not be high quality and why plus the reasons they chose that concert. So to those who stated we were expecting a HQ DVD that is false, In fact we were not expecting any DVD at all with this release. I don't know why some are complaining here like the DVD had anything to do with lack of sales because the DVD actually did very well in the market and on the charts. Plus it sold well as a separate product. It was not a disappointment as far as sales go. It didn't hurt BAD25 one bit.

Those that said the original Album CD should not have been included must realise that This was an Anniversary Album so of course the Original songs had to be included as a Anniversary CD. To leave it off wouldn't make any sense at all. Because that is what we are celebrating THE BAD ALBUM

Each of our own personal opinions of what we like or dislike doesn't make for the best quality product
and or best sales of this product. maybe for your self alone but not over all for everyone .

CD 1 adds to the sales and Charts of the original BAD Album and helps promote BAD to new and younger fans that were Not here or interested when it first came out. Many wouldn't buy it other wise unless it was promoted again as an Anniversary CD. This was not marketed to The Veteran fans. But it certainly makes a complete Anniversary Pkg for us.

CD2 is what most Fans were waiting for because of the unreleased demos. Some don't like the remixes included but they were there to appeal to the younger people and to cross music genres and bring in the NEW fans .. They may buy only because they like the remixes and because it was cools to do so in there clicks... but once they hear all of MJ music they will come back for more and probably buy other albums on the market. Its great marketing for BAD25. It certainly doesn't destroy how great the other songs on that CD are. This CD is meant to appeal to veteran fans new fans and younger fans alike.. Just like Thriller 25 remixes brought in Akon fans kanye fans Fergie fans. That was a promotion tool used to usher MJ back in and build his fan base. Which it did. The remixes on BAD 25 were used in much the same way to appeal to another audience and build MJs fan base. They were not that bad musically either. It's just a personal preference of genre of music and fans liking remixes or not.

CD3 Live BAD Concert songs - appeals to everyone .. as its a first and its very good quality sound

DVD Live BAD Wembley concert _ appeals to everyone a first and Historic performance for Princess Diana

Over All the BAD25 product was a GREAT release and well received by the fans
anyway those who still supports new releases of MJ albums and music. (some don't)

Myself I think the cause for low sales of BAD25
was part promotion /marketing and the division/boycotters in the fans base.
I also know many undedicated fans for their own selfish wants just outright stole these songs and did not purchase

Promotion /Marketing
Overall I think the promotion of BAD25 was pretty Good in US and the Internet. Adds were plastered on every Music site I visited. It was featured on iTunes and adds were on just about every music and dance show on TV. even Glee did promotion. It was featured on ABC morning Show and other networks to get the news out to the general public. The BAD25 Documentery was great promotion but I think it may have faired better if the Documentary was premiered earlier along with the release. but sometimes putting things out in Phases keeps the momentum and sales going. Thriller 25 was promoted for a whole year in phases and did very well. Yes they could have done better and a more organised promotion but over all I was satisfied .. for the fact it was a re-release not a NEW Album

Releasing other Singles would not have helped either because the first single with an Unreleased track didn't do that well as far as sales and it got Little to no air play. It was released in honor of the first YANA release from the BAD Album, I'm not sure but its its possible more singles were planned, If the first one did well. But They cant loose money promoting and putting out singles if fans wont purchase. The price was certainly right. Many were happy to get it for their collection. There was nothing wrong with the YANA/DBMR single. It started out the promotion and peaked fans interest.

The Pepsi promotion really fell short as far a delivering but it did create a lot of Buzz and got the word out about BAD 25. So in that way it was good. but it fell short in delivering the cans and it didnt promote it heavy enough to the retailers to make them want it in their stores. They should have been more organised in doing that. The Live show they promoted on Youtube also go lots of buzz and views but it was lame in the way it was produced and the perfomances were not thet great either. Very little Michael and more self promotion of the artists. It may have been good for the general public over all but for the fans that kind of felll flat. but in no way do I think it would refect on wether the public would buy BAd 25 or not becuase even the public knows Michael would deliver. So although the Pepsi promotion did bring Buzz and interest to the public it also brought disapointment to many fans.

Other countries is where it lacked promotion to the general public the most .. but We cant blame all that on estate/Sony if stores in your area didn't promote it or feature it prominently or if fans didn't come together to promote it with Fans Events etc etc. Like they use too when MJ was here. There are a few fan bases that come together and do that . but not as prominent as before his death. Asian fans had great promotions . Japan Korea even China . Japan in part because of SONY Japans help. Maybe Sony could have been more organised and promoted better in other countries but how they should have gone about that Im not sure what they could have done in those markets. For the main part they used the internet, social networks etc etc and that should have been available to Most. It was promoted on Music sites all over the world and The target would be music lovers.

division and Boycotters in the fan base
In the past we always promoted and did our part to make sure sales were as best as they could be. We stood with Michael to promote it. Just like Beiber and Gaga fans do for them. But now our fan base is so divided we no longer can work together for that end. In fact fans attack each other over promoting or not promoting ... I think the boycotters /Sony estate haters did indeed put a dent in promotion and sales. and I don't think it was over the casico songs. Many who don't support those songs supported and bought BAD25 becuase it was a great release.

There is another faction of boycotters very prominent on twitter FB and other social networks who worked against BAd25. They are the conspirators who feel SONY and Estate set up MJs death and that they are not supporting the Legacy or children but keeping it all for themselves. They will boycott anything and everything even superior products.We found out attacking each other doesn't work. The best way is to respectfully send out Positive information and links to how well BAD25 is loved and being received world wide by most fans, the musical industry and the media. Plus on a side note post information/facts to squelch any proganda being promoted in the fanbase. Michael's music shouldn't have to suffer over it. ( but that is a different story and many fans are on different sides this issue. So it's not easy to do)

The Estate has redeemed it self in many ways since the Michael Album to let fans see they are trying their best to listen to fans and to protect and keep Michael's Legacy. That has helped somewhat and brought more trust from the fans. I know some still hold grudges But if fans want MJ Albums to do well we also need to be more diligent and step up to do our part. Its sad but Fans have to work harder now to pick up the slack due to this division and the fact Michael is no longer here to promote it. And wether you like Sony or not because of its past actions we have to work with them in some capacity to do this. Those Working to make MJs music flop because they hold grudges doesn't help Michael's legacy or anything .. it just more depressing and it does hurt his legacy and standing in todays musical Industry.

The Industry and media have supported BAD25... but the Fans are the ones divided and this causes harm to BAD25 sales and any other Music to come after. Bottom line is if we dont support this great product we may never see another to compair again. They pulled out all the stops for us this time to give us lots of goodies but if is isnt worth their while they wont do it again.

Another thing to consider is Michael isnt here to Promote his art. If he was it would be a different Story
So Maybe we who want his music to do well can do a little more to represent and do our part in his behalf.

A nice incentive to purchase is BAD 25 is it would make a great gift for any MJ fan or music lover on your list for any occasion. We are not going to break the bank at only 12.99 for the 2 disc anniversary Album.

Sorry for being so wordy :blush: but once I got started I wanted to get all my thoughts and opinion out on this issue.

I hope that Sony and the Estate decide to ask Spike Lee to do the talk show circuit before the DVD comes out-I know he wore his Bad 25 t-shirt during the Red Hook Summer promotion, but most shows that I saw wouldn't really let him discuss the Bad doc-cut him off. Then they could run commercials for both the CD and the DVD doc etc. I also hope that they decide to release the Bad Live album separately for those of us that already have Bad in album form, cassette, CD, etc. and I'd love it if they would market the t-shirt that came in the buckle box separately also. That looks like a cool shirt and I think would be a big seller too. That way fans could buy things they don't already have in various forms!

LMAT, I’m intrigued by your posts regarding the production person and I hope I can answer your questions. I will focus only on the actual Bad25 products.

The Bad25 products were not the best and this is from a fan.

CDs: The CDs would have been PRICELESS if it was the 3cd listing Michael originally wanted whether the songs were completed or not. Allowing only six songs out of 60+ in various stages of completion (as said in the Bad25 doc) is just baffling. We could have had 30+ songs now with the balance to be rationed out in later years. What we have is the 2001 Special Edition CD split in TWO to include 6 demos out of 40+ to 50+ unheard songs in various stages of completion.

The remixes were NOT a problem. The problem was they were not played on urban and pop radio to promote Bad25. I don’t think the six demos would be wise on radio no matter how completed Michael made them. A video should have been done with Pitbull, Afrojack, people dancing to the remix and doing Michael’s iconic dance moves, and clips of MJ’s Bad short films along with some Wembly clips.

DVD: Choosing that specific Wembly date for the DVD was a mistake. This was only the 2nd time an official MJ performance was being presented to the public (Bucharest being the only other, HIStory bootlegs don’t count). ANY Bad tour performance in HQ would do. The significance was instead placed on it being the performance in front of the Royals when the significance should have been Michael’s record breaking Wembly residency! Fine; choose ANY Wembly date where the film could be converted to HQ. DVD extras should have included any available behind the scenes footage, rehearsals, news clips/segments with the Royals, Michaelmania in the UK, and commentators’ discussion of the historic significance of Michael’s residency at Wembly.

Rip the FULL concert and place on 2cds to be sold along WITH the DVD.

Fans desperate to see a Bad tour performance accepted this lower quality that was less than the Bad tour Japan bootleg. Sony has the gall to question why fans didn’t do more when we already accepted less?

I have the deluxe collector’s box and I own two erroneous ticket replicas. Michael is the BEST STILL and he deserves more than this half a** attempt.

My questions:

Why was this specifically targeted to fans? No artist wants to reach just their “fans;” they want to reach the masses and gather NEW fans.

Why 200,000? It is a low number, re-issue or not. They expected a lukewarm response to sloppy products and are surprised the response was cold. Ridiculous!

As the fan base is fragmented, which product was targeted to which fan segment? Which fan segment and which Bad25 product was seen as the driver to the 200,000 number? This is why I say I feel the executors/Sony prefer the fans fragmented.

Some saw the doc in full, others saw one hour, others saw nothing to this day without explanation. Some have the 2cds, 3cds, others only have the DVD with no live CD to accompany it, and some have a box with non-exclusive products which wasn’t even counted to the sales total! Everyone else can see/hear what they missed online.

I’ve already said we should have only had two product options in my first post in this thread. MJ fans should have access to the same basic product and that did NOT happen here and there is no good reason why. Of the several we did get, only the 3cd/1dvd should have been allowed. The Spike Lee documentary is coming out Feb 2013. I don’t see why any fan should buy Bad25 over again with the documentary and let's be honest, no one would.

Why was Bad25 set up for failure? A “person connected to production” has the gall to bring up Michael’s archives being in disarray and his financial issues in his later years??? What does that have to do with these executives poor execution of Bad25 products? That LA Reid story is even more embarrassing because For All Time was a Dangerous era song on Thriller25 that Michael approved so Reid may very well have been right.

I’m offended that the fans are being blamed for the failure of the executors/Sony and are now being asked to correct their failure. If we cannot figure out a way to “save” Bad25, we will be punished and won’t be allowed a Dangerous25, 3D HIStory, etc. Honestly, no other projects should be considered by the executors/Sony until they understand what THEY are doing wrong.

Has anyone noticed that projects done with past partners on projects with Michael do not succeed the way projects done with partners that never worked with Michael before? Cirque and Ubisoft are the major part of the success of those projects because the executors basically allowed license to Michael’s likeness, music, videos, etc. The executors/Sony didn’t just mess up with the Michael cd; they messed up the Vision set (average quality and some videos were edited from their original content), Pepsi messed up their part (cans, commercial, promotions), and they all collectively messed up Bad25. TII is an irregularity and we all know why.

Why is the next step Dangerous25, then HIStory and so forth? Michael’s full musical legacy is not being recognized or utilized. Why aren’t they going backwards? Again, the Thriller30 tweet was NOT enough to celebrate that album. Can we find out if the internet/word of mouth promotion of the “J5 Rare Pearls” collection was successful because there may be lessons there?

Lastly, this fan feels, if Sony wants to “save” Bad 25:
sell Spike Lee’s documentary along with the 3cd/1dvd combo at a discount or

be sure to remove all product options except the 3cd/1dvd combo by Feb2013 when the documentary is sold as a standalone (which it deserves) in case anyone is inclined to purchase Bad25 at that time.

Last edited:
Releasing other Singles would not have helped either because the first single with an Unreleased track didn't do that well as far as sales and it got Little to no air play. It was released in honor of the first YANA release from the BAD Album, I'm not sure but its its possible more singles were planned, If the first one did well. But They cant loose money promoting and putting out singles if fans wont purchase. The price was certainly right. Many were happy to get it for their collection. There was nothing wrong with the YANA/DBMR single. It started out the promotion and peaked fans interest.

To be honest, I think DBMA was the weakest, least finished track among the demos on the album. So it was odd that they picked that to "promote" the album. It obviously wasn't a single that had any chance of radio play, so it cannot really be said that it helped to promote the album.

you guys talks all of bad tour DVD in wembley?? DVD??? which DVD?? All i can see is a poor VHS quality, that's all. sony you have killed the bad 25 project alone with a very poor quality and no promo at all, so be angry against you and don't ask questions to the fans :)))

you guys talks all of bad tour DVD in wembley?? DVD??? which DVD?? All i can see is a poor VHS quality, that's all. sony you have killed the bad 25 project alone with a very poor quality and no promo at all, so be angry against you and don't ask questions to the fans :)))

If it's all because of the DVD how come the DVD sold more and still sells better than the super-duper HQ Queen DVD/Blue Ray (Hungarian Rhapsody) that was so often brought up as a positive example in the Wembley'88 quality thread? If anything the DVD was a successful part of the project. Could the quality have been better and the DVD even more successful? Sure. But there is no factual proof that the low sales were a result of the DVD.

Last edited:
I bought Bad25 Delux Editon and i'm very satisfied with the hole material content,yes, i would have loved for a better video quality of the DVD but even so Michael's performance it's absolutely magnificent so this was not a problem,so I believe that this material should not be missing from the collection of any MJ fan ! ....as for low sales,I think this product was not promoted enough as others fans have already told !I hope the sales will grow,especially now around Christmas because BAD25 can be an wonderful gift to make :)

If you stand by the opinion that todays audience needs music that have to sound "current" (which I almost agree with since their taste sucks), then it will almsot be impossible for MJ to go on the toplist on the radio

I really hate how close minded people can be when it comes to music. I mean god forbid if something comes out that sounds older or different to what's being played on mainstream radio right now.

So to those who stated we were expecting a HQ DVD that is false, In fact we were not expecting any DVD at all with this release.
I have to disagree. Many fans were expecting Bad Tour DVD and wanted it a lot like me. I would have been
extremely disappointed if they had decided not to release the DVD. But I was sure that they would release it. People who wanted it were expecting HQ concert and possibly from the film reels(Another Part of Me music video and Moonwalker Man in the Mirror quality). I'm just saying that fans were expecting.

they know very well, that this re-release will not arouse regular music buyrs interest.
thats why they released the live dvd separately.
thats why the deluxe edition, so fans to have reason to buy it. cause else none of you would have spend money for 5 new songs/demos.

for the purpose of this release, the promotion was enough.

there was many news articles with the anouncement and during the release, the pepsi thing (that failed for some reason), Spike lee's docu. for such release this IS enough. Just time-wise coud have been executed better.

they know very well that if they launch big promotion campaign, it will make them lose.
the calculation of what this could sell and how much promotion is needed is reasonable set.

Agreed.

Last edited:
Back