For Translation teams: Information, organization and discussions thread

"but not often" . you are right "not" is missing from the sentence

Yes, I know, but the sentence doesn't make sense. Not unusual, but not often, that would make more sense. As in ... he ordered it occasionally over the years, so it was not unusual when he ordered it in 2009, but he hadn't ordered it often up to that point. That's how it would make sense. I'd have to watch this on youtube, but I don't have time, so I was wondering if whoever made the summary, could clarify. I translated it as "not often" for now, because it makes more sense to me.

And the thing with the 4 sets that were ordered, it's a bit confusing, it would make more sense for them to refer to one date when saying on date so-and-so and on date so-and-so the same was ordered as on date so-and-so. The two 24's made me think that there might be a typo in the year and month, but maybe you are right and they referred to those 2 different dates.

God, I'm so confused.

Regarding the dates, maybe there were two different references of sets rather than olny one, hence two dates.

Regarding "not unusual", it is not the same as "not often", that would be the opposite. So "not unusual" = "regular", "often", "common", "normal". If you say "not often" in your translation you risk to mistranslate the original. I think it is safer then to translate by "it was a common thing to do it" rather than "it was not done often".

p.s. Ok, just saw Ivy's post. So, please don't take into account my remark.

"but not often" . you are right "not" is missing from the sentence

Ok, thanks, makes more sense.

Bumper, saying "it's not unusual but often" ... that's like the opposite of a double negative in this context. ;) Because I thought the context was that before 2009 he didn't buy all that stuff often, but suddenly in April of 2009 he started to order it a lot.

Snowflake, that looks like a message from aliens from outer space! ;)

Ok, thanks, makes more sense.

Bumper, saying "it's not unusual but often" ... that's like the opposite of a double negative in this context. ;) Because I thought the context was that before 2009 he didn't buy all that stuff often, but suddenly in April of 2009 he started to order it a lot.

I know, but I thought that's the way the summary was formulated. So, as a translator you usually try to stick to the author's style. Of course, it is a good thing to ask for confirmation, and you got it :)

Snowflake is an alien? Not the only one on this board, I was told ...

I know, but I thought that's the way the summary was formulated. So, as a translator you usually try to stick to the author's style. Of course, it is a good thing to ask for confirmation, and you got it :)

If the author makes a mistake, that's not really part of the author's style. ;) I just don't shut my brain off when I start translating, lol. But seriously, you needed the context of the entire post and I didn't post that, because the person who wrote the summary knew the context anyway.

When working as translator, you are trained to not change, judge or otherwise change context, you translate exactly what's written. Of course in this case we're trying to relay information in a different way, but that's exactly the job of a translator, translate exactly what is written. We have a different focus here, of course. I recall translating things that are opposing my every fiber, my every thought, lol, but that's just the job. In this case, we're of course trying to translate in relation to Michael...so we're kinda blurring author/translator in some cases.

Ok, I guess I was right about the "heart blood", it's blood drawn from the heart.

When working as translator, you are trained to not change, judge or otherwise change context, you translate exactly what's written. Of course in this case we're trying to relay information in a different way, but that's exactly the job of a translator, translate exactly what is written. We have a different focus here, of course.

Well, but here it's about the info, and if that is wrong in the original (because it doesn't make sense or because I watched the stream and heard what was actually said), of course I will post it and correct it. Our job isn't to do simultaneous translation of the stream (fortunately!) with translating every word that was said, including mistakes and stuttering.

Here the important thing was that Murray hadn't ordered that kind of stuff a lot before April 2009, just occasionally, and that there was a significant change in habit around the time he started working for Michael.

Snowflake is an alien? Not the only one on this board, I was told ...

If the author makes a mistake, that's not really part of the author's style. ;) I just don't shut my brain off when I start translating, lol. But seriously, you needed the context of the entire post and I didn't post that, because the person who wrote the summary knew the context anyway.

Believe me, sometimes some authors really meant things that didn't make sense at all. And even though I was trying to point them out and explain why, they wanted to keep the way they wrote things. So, I usually don't ask any more, I simply respect the original like when you make a photocopy. It is not a question of shutting the brain off, but of gaining time while translating. Once you finish the translation you can point the discrepancies out and ask if there should be a change.

Regarding some more serious documents like medical analyses for a patient, then of course you can't afford not to ask if the original is indeed correct or not when you come across something suspicious. Translating is not an easy task, especially when the original isn't clear and when you fight to find out what the author meant. Luckily we don't have such dilemmas in this case. Just few doubts, but nothing serious.

p.s. When you think there is a mistake you can put a footnote as a translator's note.
p.p.s. In some cases some mistakes ae kept even in the translation, but then you have to put a [sic] after the translated word to indicate that the term was indeed mentioned that way in the original.

Believe me, sometimes some authors really meant things that didn't make sense at all. And even though I was trying to point them out and explain why, they wanted to keep the way they wrote things. So, I usually don't ask any more, I simply respect the original like when you make a photocopy. It is not a question of shutting the brain off, but of gaining time while translating. Once you finish the translation you can point the discrepancies out and ask if there should be a change.

Yeah, that's a different thing and I'm sure that happens a lot.

Regarding some more serious documents like medical analyses for a patient, then of course you can't afford not to ask if the original is indeed correct or not when you come across something suspicious. Translating is not an easy task, especially when the original isn't clear and when you fight to find out what the author meant. Luckily we don't have such dilemmas in this case. Just few doubts, but nothing serious.

Yeah, Hirschberg wasn't clear in parts, so I made a lot of notes. If it just says "tape" ... that can be a lot of things. But other than that, we can always ask for clarification.

we are trying to make summaries as fast as possible so they are bound to have errors and typos in them - and no we don't read over or double check them. so if you find a mistake correct it please.

we are trying to make summaries as fast as possible so they are bound to have errors and typos in them - and no we don't read over or double check them. so if you find a mistake correct it please.

For every mistake you owe us a hug. :D

Flanagan is a disaster of a lawyer. He's even not aware what he's talking about.

For every mistake you owe us a hug. :D

I love our love - hate relationship.

Her antennas might get in the way though.

shhh it's a secret.

Flanagan is a disaster of a lawyer. He's even not aware what he's talking about.

Yep, and then try to make a summary of that and then translate it, haha.

Master of Disaster, he can talk me into a mental coma.

I generally tape them and then play it on double speed. that's the only way I can stay awake. That being said I'll re-listen to the flanagan cross before I post my summary for the afternoon. It will take me a few hours but will be posted before I go the bed. So that should be available for the translaters in europe when they wake up.

I love our love - hate relationship.

He loves you, you hate him? ;)

shhh it's a secret.

May I touch them, please?

I generally tape them and then play it on double speed. that's the only way I can stay awake. That being said I'll re-listen to the flanagan cross before I post my summary for the afternoon. It will take me a few hours but will be posted before I go the bed. So that should be available for the translaters in europe when they wake up.

That's ok, I already found a victim for the Fleak translation, the entire one. The summary of the cross with the other witness (what was his name) basically is "Flanagan asks question with words he can't pronounce with non-existent grammar, witness says in annoyed tone 'What????? I don't get the question'".

Can anyone clarify this? It seems to me a wrong information. I don't understand exactly, where the fingerprints were found. I remember that the bottle inside the IV bag was 20ml not 100ml. Murray's fingerprint was on the bottle found inside de IV bag, or on another Propofol bottle?
Where exactly the 2 fingerprints listed below were found? On the IV bag with the slit, or another one? Or, one on the bottle and one on the IV bag?

I'm confused.. please HELP!

""Murray's fingerprint was found on 100ml Propofol bottle found inside the IV bag.
Fleak's fingerprint was found on the syringe on the table.
IV bag with the slit had 4 fingerprints on it. 2 fingerprints was found on saline bag and 20ml Propofol . 1 fingerprint was found on 20 ml propofol bottle. but no identification was made about these fingerprints.""

And Flanagan in the cross with Anderson is really testing my patience. Horrible to translate. How do you translate questions that the one asking doesn't even understand? LOL.

And I have to say, all those details and reading them in depth while translating (which is even worse than watching the stream, because you really have to pay attention to every detail) is very hard and painful. I translated the recording from May 10 too yesterday, it's really starting to affect me ...

And Flanagan in the cross with Anderson is really testing my patience. Horrible to translate. How do you translate questions that the one asking doesn't even understand? LOL.

Not to mention that Flanagan when he gets the answer says "I kinda got lost in your answer". LOL!

note summaries for friday will be up by saturday afternoon - (I really cannot work on friday nights). btw do you want summaries of Murray's interview with the police? or just a link to the transcript?

note summaries for friday will be up by saturday afternoon - (I really cannot work on friday nights). btw do you want summaries of Murray's interview with the police? or just a link to the transcript?

Summaries please. Thank You! :)

Back