For Translation teams: Information, organization and discussions thread

my question may be a bit odd, but I'll ask anyway :D
Unlike in English, you isn't used in my language for all persons, we have to make a difference between Sir-you and normal you ;) Like in German you've got Sie and du. You know what I mean?
My question is: did Murray called MJ by his first name. While translating I could avoid those terms so far, but now translating the transcript of police interview I cannot run away from this.
Thank you :)

2 examples ... in the Dileo voicemail I used "Sie", because they didn't really seem to know each other. Between Michael and Murray I used "Du", because they seemed to be on a first name basis and Michael called him "Conrad" in the recording.

Ok, thanks. Dileo's message is obvious for me, it is sir to sir conversation.
Just between MJ and CM I got lost. So OK, I'll use you as German "du" :) Danke, Milka :)

Indeed, Murray himself said that they became friends. So you can safely use "du" in my opinion.

I'd even use "du" for Dileo. Michael was quite close to him for a long time back in the 80s. But of course all depends on the way the conversation and period of the conversation.

I'd even use "du" for Dileo. Michael was quite close to him for a long time back in the 80s. But of course all depends on the way the conversation and period of the conversation.

I meant the voicemail that Dileo left Murray.

^^ We got (a pretty long, but still) summary of that, I don't think anybody can or wants to translate 125 pages ...

That's from the Anderson testimony from yesterday, second to last paragraph of the first recross, I don't understand this sentence _at all_ - could someone translate it into proper English? ;)

"Anderson states that the Lorazepam concentration goes up in the autopsy urine, and with Midzolam much less than Lorazepam."

I'm trying to remember what Anderson said there and in what connection. If I remember correctly he was saying that Lorazepam levels detectable in urin are generally higher than Midalozam levels. That usually Lorazepam is higher excreted than Midazolam which reflects in the levels. Could be wrong, but I think that was the idea of it. I think that was in that 5 minute segment where he was discussion excretion of different substances.

Ok, I just looked at that part on youtube, I'll just translate it the way it is written, if I can find the words in German, lol, because I don't get at all what they are saying and I don't understand Flanagan.

^^ We got (a pretty long, but still) summary of that, I don't think anybody can or wants to translate 125 pages ...

you can simply say read the full document here and link to that. :)

and I also did the remaining part. that should give us a head start and save 1 hr from tuesday's testimony as well

Ok, I just looked at that part on youtube, I'll just translate it the way it is written, if I can find the words in German, lol, because I don't get at all what they are saying and I don't understand Flanagan.

neither can we :) Flanagan's cross might be the portion that we spent most time on. I literally listened to it over and over again to make sense of what he's saying. There was one point where neither Anderson, judge or walgren could understand him. We couldn't either. It might be that portions. You can simply omit the meaningless parts and blame Flanagan for it.

Actually, speaking about a translation of Murray's statement to the cops... somewhere on facebook I had seen someone try to give a (German) summary of Murray's initial police statement. Someone shot back that something must be faulty with the translation because no way in hell can it be correct that Murray says he felt a faint pulse and THEN started to do CPR. Yeah, it's not the translation that's at fault, but the garbled nonsense in the actual statement...Flanagan's cross seems very reminiscent.

neither can we :) Flanagan's cross might be the portion that we spent most time on. I literally listened to it over and over again to make sense of what he's saying. There was one point where neither Anderson, judge or walgren could understand him. We couldn't either. It might be that portions. You can simply omit the meaningless parts and blame Flanagan for it.

No, that was on Thursday, I think, when nobody, including the judge, could understand Flanagan, lol. Maybe I'll listen to it again, have to try and let it sink in, because I think it was about the Lorazepam being lower in the urine at the scene, but higher in the autopsy urine, and the Midazolam being a lot lower in both samples, but being about 4 times higher in the urine at the scene than in the autopsy urine. But I'm not sure if I got that right, will listen to it again later or tomorrow. Flanagan is only saying one word every 3 seconds and seems to lose track of his sentences because of that - and I do too.

Flanagan "voided" us :) and this is especially funny if you know what Flanagan used "void" for

I think that the best summary of the Murray tape is actually basically what the defense said during the opening statement.

Parts of the Anderson testimony that are really hard to understand (and wrong in parts) and that I had to watch on youtube to make sense of them:

Anderson states that the PACTOX gastric contents analysis, shows 634 nanograms/ml of Lorazepam. Anderson states that the lab measured in concentration, he was provided 73.5 mls of gastric contents, in which he would multiply the two numbers to get the nanograms of stomach contents which would be 46,599 nanograms of Lorazepam left in the stomach. But the numbers Anderson should have used for calculation (micrograms not nanograms) he needed to divide by a thousand, so 46,599 divided by a thousand equals 46.599 divided by another 1000 to get a mg amount, equals 0.04599 of Lorazepam in the stomach. Anderson states that he went further and got a more exact amount and arrived at 0.046599. Anderson states that with a 2 mg Lorazepam pill, the gastric contents are equal to 1/43rd of a single 2 mg tablet, which is a very small amount.

But Anderson wanted to use milligrams and not nanograms, so he needed to divide the number by a thousand, which makes 46.599 micrograms (ug) and then he had to divide that by another 1000 to get the milligrams, that makes 0.04599 mg of Lorazepam in the stomach.

The next sentence after the bolded part is not needed.

Flanagan asks if there is a high concentration of ephedrine in the urine, but a low concentration in the bladder, would it be fair to say it was recently taken, Anderson says it’s a fair assumption.

Flanagan asks if there is a high concentration of ephedrine in the blood, but a low concentration in the bladder, would it be fair to say it was recently taken, Anderson says it’s a fair assumption.

Mistakes in yesterday's summary (Smith testimony):

Smith states that Chernoff was surprised by the fact that LAPD had not recovered Murray's medical bags at the time of the interview, dated June 27, 2009.

That should be Murray, not Chernoff. Or maybe Murray and Chernoff.

Smith states that on June 27, 2009, the initial meeting between Murray and LAPD was set up for 2 pm, but it was rescheduled for 4 pm.

Rescheduled by the LAPD.

Smith states that Murray did not leave the room, nor did he put time limitations on the interview with LAPD on 6/25/09.

6/27/09

Another mistake:

Smith states that the DEA was going to investigate Mickey Fine Pharmacy, and that Conrad Murray was linked to the pharmacy.

Arnold Klein, not Conrad Murray.

I can't believe that I'm translating Michael's problems with urinating. This is all so wrong, so private. Translating and typing the translation feels like such an invasion of privacy.

thanks corrected them..

the thing that we have to listen , see and write is unbelievable

thanks corrected them..

the thing that we have to listen , see and write is unbelievable

It's relatively easy for me to "remove" myself emotionally during the stream, at least a bit, and not really listen to every little detail, checking Twitter while watching, checking MJJC while watching, posting, if I feel like it. But if you sit down sort of all alone, translating, paying attention to every single word, it gets really really hard. Kenny's email, Murray's recording, the medical details ...

Oops, another mistake:

Rogers states that the stomach content was examined, and that Rogers found 70 grams of drug fluid but did not show pills or capsules.

I guess that's supposed to be dark fluid.

you are going to love the latest summary. it's only 2 lines :)

kidding aside I think this has been a much needed break for all the translator teams..

rest and stay strong people.. it looks like the trial is more than half done.

Back