Frank Cascio "My Friend Michael"/ Excerpt @pg151/New Interview Post 3743

*SIGH* @ the people that surrounded MJ....they all want to say their story is the true one and the other is the liar or whatever. I'm so over ALL OF THEM!-_-

Well :fear:, at least this one good thing :D: Karen will not write a book. :p :fear:

lol However, what she said and revealed on her FB before is way worse in my POV. There were way many private things of MJ. She didn't make the money from that but I don't think it's better. What Franks said is just way mild compared to what Karen said about the drugs/addiction/rehab and all the other private things. She didn't make the money but the stories which also no one know is true or not are floating all over the place. It's just amusing that she think she had the place to call out Frank like that when she herself said way more improper things on the internet.

Last edited:
I think some things are a bit interesting... we have gotten some impressions on who was the good/bad guy and the ones we thought were bad is the ones Frank likes LOL :)

Frank writes in the book that Al Malnik was the best thing that happened to MJ (during that time)

Frank writes that Rabbi Schumley had good intentions

Frank says he did not agree with MJs protest against SONY in 2001, like he understands the conflict of interest and MJ was upset that no marketing plan had been drafted but according to Frank, MJ was upset that the album did not suceed MJs expectations on the charts and therefore started to campaign against SONY. Frank also writes that the conflict had nothing to do with race and that MJ was wrong to accuse Mottola and calling him a devil and racist.

I think some things are a bit interesting... we have gotten some impressions on who was the good/bad guy and the ones we thought were bad is the ones Frank likes LOL :)

Frank writes in the book that Al Malnik was the best thing that happened to MJ (during that time)

Frank writes that Rabbi Schumley had good intentions

Frank says he did not agree with MJs protest against SONY in 2001, like he understands the conflict of interest and MJ was upset that no marketing plan had been drafted but according to Frank, MJ was upset that the album did not suceed MJs expectations on the charts and therefore started to campaign against SONY. Frank also writes that the conflict had nothing to do with race and that MJ was wrong to accuse Mottola and calling him a devil and racist.

Well, there are undeniable facts about how Sony treated MJ during Invincible. Like not allowing him artistic freedom about what singles to release. Then had the nerve to blame it all on MJ why the album didn't do as well as expected. It's also undeniable that they soon cut all promotions for the album.

But of course, Frank won't criticize Sony. His brother wants to make it in the industry...

Well, for the SONY vs MJ problems. I think both sides have their reasons to react like that. The goal of record company is use the smallest amount of money and make as much money as possible of it. For MJ's point of view, he wanted to put everything he can get to make the album as perfect as possible. It's just the goal from both sides are way different. When MJ is on top of his game (I mean selling record wise not artistic wise), of course he can get all the source whatever he wanted. However, when he can't bring the money the record company expected to bring. The conflicts came. MJ won't be the first artist to have complains about their record company. He also won't be the first artist the record company cut down the promotion. This is the saddest part for the artistic freedom but it's also business. Maybe one day the artist can put out their record and become success without the record company. The internet, youtube etc already gave more freedom and opportunity to many people. However the most top selling artists are still depending on the record company. Especially, if you wanted to do the huge project like MJ wanted, you need money and resource. It's hard for a normal artist to achieve what MJ wanted to achieve without the support of big company.

As for who is good guy/ bad guy, the real life is not like movie. Most of the time, all the things and people are in the gray area. People all have different POV and agenda. Most of the time, it's hard to put people in just 2 category.

Last edited:
^^

This is the saddest part for the artistic freedom but it's also business.

The business part got a bit more emphasis in the last 10-20 years as it would be healthy. Music execs should stay out of artistic issues and decisions but they don't. That's why the music industry has got in the sad state it is in now where most what you have on the charts are boring, uninspiring crap.

In Invincible's case, there are much stronger songs on the album than what Sony picked as a lead single. Not even the second single was one of the stronger tunes. Michael told them what songs he wanted to release as singles, they didn't listen to him. Then they said the album doesn't sell as well as expected and cut the promotion. Is that fair? I don't think so. At least they should have given a chance to Michael before cutting the money. Michael's hands were tied by Sony. Does Frank only say Michael campaigned against Sony because his sales weren't that good, or does he tell the full facts about this issue?

I think there was a reason why Tommy Mottola had to leave.
I read he gave favors to some artists and I guess those artists weren´t black

^^
The business part got a bit more emphasis in the last 10-20 years as it would be healthy. Music execs should stay out of artistic issues and decisions but they don't. That's why the music industry has got in the sad state it is in now where most what you have on the charts are boring, uninspiring crap.

In Invincible's case, there are much stronger songs on the album than what Sony picked as a lead single. Not even the second single was one of the stronger tunes. Michael told them what songs he wanted to release as singles, they didn't listen to him. Then they said the album doesn't sell as well as expected and cut the promotion. Is that fair? I don't think so. At least they should have given a chance to Michael before cutting the money. Michael's hands were tied by Sony. Does Frank only say Michael campaigned against Sony because his sales weren't that good, or does he tell the full facts about this issue?

It's never going to be fair because most of the artists signed by the company are tied up by the company. When you are hot and selling great, you will have more leverage to bargain with. There are so many artist, songwriters complaining about the A&R or the executive for a long time and for many years. Many said they knew it's great song but it got throw away because the A&R people don't like etc. MJ is not the first one to be caught up in the situation. Actually, because he sold millions, he can do lots of things he wanted to do probably for almost 2 decades. The key goal of the record company is making money. Show me the money then other things would be easier to negotiate.

As for what Frank said in the book, correct me if I recalled it wrong. I think he didn't go details to the business side of what happened (I doubt he can know the full picture). He did mention that MJ was pissed off about SONY and his managing team that they can't come up with promotion plans. He also mentioned what single and ideas MJ wanted to promote the album but it got shut down by Tommy Mottola. I think he also said it's a fight between Mottola and MJ. Sometimes MJ won and sometimes Mottola won. I believe what Frank said is he didn't think it's proper for MJ to jump to the racism conclusion and the protest about racism. He didn't think the whole is mainly because of racism. He think MJ's advisors gave him bad advise to jump to that conclusion and the end results didn't make MJ looked good. He said he understand why MJ felt frustrated and angry about the whole things but he just didn't think it's a smart move.

My POV, I kind of agreed with Frank about the SONY protest. Some points MJ made are quite true but I also don't think it's mainly because of racism. (I think MJ was actually more angry about Motolla than SONY itself. I remembered he said he is accusing Motolla being racism but not SONY.). I also don't think it's a smart move by MJ. The end result did not do any favor to MJ.

MJ didn't make the speech he did about Mottola and Sony to make himself look good or bad. Nor did he care if it did him any favors when he was tellin the truth! Which is the only thing that should matter! Not gonna blame this one on advisors. MJ knew what he was doin and I'm glad he did not keep his mouth shut! While everyone else stayed quiet for yrs he stood up.

I love the two speeches he made. I couldn't imagine anyone other then him better who has been in this bussiness since a child to speak up about what he as seen! He not only spoke up for himself but, for many artist of the passed aswell! I guess some thought that because of how famous and succesful he is he shouldn't be talkin but, it's not like he got there easily their were struggles along the way including racism even after he made it big aswell.

MJ didn't make the speech he did about Mottola and Sony to make himself look good or bad. Nor did he care if it did him any favors when he was tellin the truth! Which is the only thing that should matter! Not gonna blame this one on advisors. MJ knew what he was doin and I'm glad he did not keep his mouth shut! While everyone else stayed quiet for yrs he stood up.

I love the two speeches he made. I couldn't imagine anyone other then him better who has been in this bussiness since a child to speak up about what he as seen! He not only spoke up for himself but, for many artist of the passed aswell! I guess some thought that because of how famous and succesful he is he shouldn't be talkin but, it's not like he got there easily their were struggles along the way including racism even after he made it big aswell.

I do see your point. However, I just don't think the whole issue is really mainly because of racism. I think it's more because about money (Of course there's racism throughout the history and MJ was telling the truth about it). I do admire that he had the courage to speak up and point out the artist were taken advantages by the record company (I don't think it's just the black artists were being taken advantages of, most of artist/songwriters all were. Motown was taking advantage of J5, too). I remembered many artists were afraid to admit MJ was telling the truth and think he overreacted. I think Mariah Carry were caught up in the fire after MJ talked about her issue with Mottola (Do I remember it right?). and Al Sharpton was like trying to stay away from the fire after MJ had that speech in NYC. I admire his courage (or maybe he had gut to do that) but I just don't think it's a smart move. The whole things just ended bad for both Mottola and MJ.

On the other hand, why suddenly he decided to tell the truth after like 3 decades after he was in the business? The reason of course is because the whole invincible issue. He did not just go out and did it base on the pure reason wanting to tell the truth. I highly doubt he would go out like that if SONY or Mottola promoted the album as good as he wanted.

Last edited:
I do see your point. However, I just don't think the whole issue is really mainly because of racism. I think it's more because about money (Of course there's racism throughout the history and MJ was telling the truth about it). I do admire that he had the courage to speak up and point out the artist were taken advantages by the record company (I don't think it's just the black artists were being taken advantages of, most of artist/songwriters all were. Motown was taking advantage of J5, too). I remembered many artists were afraid to admit MJ was telling the truth and think he overreacted. I think Mariah Carry were caught up in the fire after MJ talked about her issue with Mottola (Do I remember it right?). and Al Sharpton was like trying to stay away from the fire after MJ had that speech in NYC. I admire his courage (or maybe he had gut to do that) but I just don't think it's a smart move. The whole things just ended bad for both Mottola and MJ.

On the other hand, why suddenly he decided to tell the truth after like 3 decades after he was in the business? The reason of course is because the whole invincible issue. He did not just go out and did it base on the pure reason wanting to tell the truth. I highly doubt he would go out like that if SONY or Mottola promoted the album as good as he wanted.
There's nothin like experiencing the injustice first hand more then ever I suppose in ones whole life's career. But, MJ did many other things that gave the message of not wanting the same fate as many other minority artist of the past and songwriters yrs before his fight with Sony and Motolla. Like making sure to own his own songs, gettin minorties played on MTV, owning publishin rights to other people songs, getting huge endorsement deals etc. He opened the doors for many, that ALL counts. Those aren't minor things that should be over looked. So, when some tried to F*ck with that even after so much achievement he had to actually say something about it vocally this time. That's why I'll say it again no one could have been a better choice to speak out IMO then MJ!

Last edited:
There's nothin like experiencing the injustice first hand more then ever I suppose in ones whole life's career. But, MJ did many other things that gave the message of not wanting the same fate as many other minority artist of the past and songwriters yrs before his fight with Sony and Motolla. Like making sure to own his own songs, gettin minorties played on MTV, owning publishin rights to other people songs, getting huge endorsement deals etc. He opened the doors for many, that ALL counts. Those aren't minor things that should be over looked. So, when some tried to F*ck with that even after so much achievement he had to actually say something about it vocally this time. That's why I'll say it again no one could have been a better choice to speak out IMO then MJ!

Well, I am not arguing whether he is the better choice to speak out. I am also not arguing the contribution he made to open the doors for many others. I just wanted to point out that I just don't think he came out at that particular point only pure because he wanted to tell the truth. As what I said before, I don't think he would go this far if SONY or Mottola willing to give the resource he used to get. The other point is I don't think the whole issue is mainly because of racism but money. I agreed MJ's points that there were racism throughout the years but I just don't think that's the main problem between him and SONY. Was SONY not supporting the whole thing mainly because he was a successful "black" artist? Even MJ himself said he was accusing Mottola not SONY. I really think the main issue is artists vs record company. As for whether Mottola is a racist, I really don't have enough info to make that call.

Edit: I just found out maybe I am off topic. Sorry about that.

Edit 2: I don't want to post another one. Just added something. No one is saying his success was handed to him. He worked hard to get to his dream. Of course he would be outraged to see his hard working treasure being trashed like that. Who won't be. However, those things you listed before are things that had the biggest impacts in human history and really open the door to many other people not the speech in NYC and London.

Last edited:
It had to do with both issues clearly. Just listen to his speech. He achieved a lot and worked hard to get where no other minorty artist have gone before him really. And to see anyone try to take that away would make anyone outraged. Doesn't matter if he wasn't vocal before that time, it's not like he got all his success handed to him anyways. He worked for it and that SPOKE for itself and opened many doors but, doesn't mean that it ended the issues that he was talking about, obviously.

Anyways, not gonna go in circles with this issue aswell. Agree to disagree!

I remember in the book Frank's opinion was that MJ was "above" holding that bus protest. I don't know much about what really happened with SONY and/or Mattola but I think it took a lot of courage for Michael to rally the fans and speak out publicly and make some noise. Protesting like they did in the 60's and Occupy Wall Street today heh!

Someone tagged Frank in this picture on Facebook with the caption "This these are two pictures for the fabulous trip to Scotland that Frank and Michael made, Frank wonderfully describes in his book."

franksy.jpg

franb.jpg

I'm still reading the book, and I'm not so much impressed by it. I still think that Frank wrote things that wasn't really necessary for the people to know. And some things I even had to question myself whether it's true or not. But I will hold my opinion until I finish the book.

Frank wrote about an Emily, he told that Michael had a long relationship with her. Someone has a clue about who this girl might be? Frank calls her Emily, but seems that this isn't her name...

The female in the picture is MJs wife, Debbie Rowe. She is wearing her wedding band.

DebbieRoweindarkcurlywig.jpg

Last edited:
just finished the book and have some question. i hope those who have actually read the book can explain. First of Frank says Jordan never slept in Michaels room. But wasn’t that an issue brought up in court that jordans suitcases were directly brought to MJ’s room? I’m asking because my English is rusty and maybe I misunderstood.

Secondly his description of the bridge fall.... Michael sings YNA standing. but according to Frank he sat on the edge of the stage. and about Gavin.......i know Frank wouldn't lie but something don't add up. during the Bashit interview it is clear that the boys had already slept in his bedroom. well, according to Frank (as i understood) the first time was AFTER the documentary aired and Michael asked Frank to not leave him alone with them. that was a bit strange so if anyone can help explain it i'll be glad

other than that i enjoyed the book

^I hope this don't sound rude? It's not my intention. But, do u really need people who read the book to ONLY answer these questions? U actually answered them urself. U mentioned the Bridge fall and Gavin in the Bashir doc. Which both is on video for all to see. For some reason Frank is inaccurate about these things. It's weird especially when there is video showing the complete opposite of some of the things he is saying in his book. I don't understand why he didn't simply fact check first?

About Jordan ever sleeping in MJ room. The only people who know that for sure would be MJ I guess. Frank wasn't on all the trips MJ did with Jordan, his mom and sister. And he never slept over Evan Chandlers house either. So the only people who ever said Jordan did sleep in MJ room was ofcourse the accuser himself, his dad and mom. Not the most trustworthy people as we know. So I guess we can only accept what Frank saw at that moment he was around Jordan. Which is what he was referring to.

^i didn't mean to be rude. but it seams to be that people who haven't read the book is more biast saying Frank is a liar and so on. and if u haven't read the book how would u know if i had understood it wrong? it would make no sense if i asked u.

if i was out of line i'm sorry

^i didn't mean to be rude. but it seams to be that people who haven't read the book is more biast saying Frank is a liar and so on. and if u haven't read the book how would u know if i had understood it wrong? it would make no sense if i asked u.

if i was out of line i'm sorry
No u are not out of line I got what u were saying. But, there are many who read the book that said he made some inaccurate claims too just like u on their reviews and everything and they were already mentioned here before. And the book is available to read online by anyone at this point.

Back