HIStory Tour Discussion - Should it be released? [Merged]

Should HIStory Tour be offically released?

• Yes, in cinema

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Yes, in DVD

Votes: 44 62.0%
  • Yes, in DVD and cinema

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters
The Jackson 5 Medley is honestly completely disposable.

Exact same choreography. Exact same transitions (I Want You Back into The Love You Save into I'll Be There). Exact same video montage. Exact same "Michael breaks down crying at the very end" shtick. Exactly the same on the Bad tour, the Dangerous tour, the History tour, and the This Is It tour. It became tiresome very quickly.

They are pertinent songs in Michael's career, but by God he didn't need to do the exact same thing for every single show.

I think the reason for the J5 Medley was for Michael to give nod the The Jackson 5 Days, and show that he hadn't forgotten his roots. I like that idea, but I wish he would have changed it up a bit. I wish he would have performed all of The Love You Save, and not just part of it. That's my favorite part of the J5 Medley

Last edited:
The Jackson 5 Medley is honestly completely disposable.

Exact same choreography. Exact same transitions (I Want You Back into The Love You Save into I'll Be There). Exact same video montage. Exact same "Michael breaks down crying at the very end" shtick. Exactly the same on the Bad tour, the Dangerous tour, the History tour, and the This Is It tour. It became tiresome very quickly.

They are pertinent songs in Michael's career, but by God he didn't need to do the exact same thing for every single show.
The ending was different after Bad Tour. I think J5 Medley was a great part of the show on every tour.

The ending was different after Bad Tour. I think J5 Medley was a great part of the show on every tour.

That is the only substantial change that has ever been made to it - transitioning into Rock With You rather than just ending.

I would enjoy the Jackson 5 Medley more if there was ever any variation. I don't see why he simply had to perform those songs in that order. Why not perform all of I Want You Back or The Love You Save? Why not break out Never Can Say Goodbye or ABC or Dancing Machine? There's no reason why the J5 Medley had to stick to that formula from 1984 to 2009.

Well, he was planning on doing One Day In Your Life at MSG with Whitney Houston, wasn't he? I mean, can you imagine? That could've been magic.

I recall hearing about that. THAT'S the kind of variation I'm talking about! No one would have expected something like that. Had he done that during every tour, picking a different tune or switching up the medley, the Motown section would have had some life injected into it.

to me, it's a highlight of every concert :D and I love it just the way it is

Last edited:
We know. You despise History. But Michael Jackson's Estate and Sony Music fortunately have larger market to satisfy with their products not just one "fan's" desires.

Firstly, don't put quotes around "fan". Fans are those who acknowledge the worst parts of Michael's career and don't blindly accept them just because they have some sort of sentimental value. If anything, you are more deserving of the "fan" title.

Secondly, the Estate/Sony need to focus on worldwide demand - i.e., what fans want to see the most.

And that is not the History tour. That really isn't any tour.

Secondly, the Estate/Sony need to focus on worldwide demand - i.e., what fans want to see the most.

No tours?? Am I the only fan who is dying for a Destiny/Triumph/Victory Tour??

Firstly, don't put quotes around "fan". Fans are those who acknowledge the worst parts of Michael's career and don't blindly accept them just because they have some sort of sentimental value. If anything, you are more deserving of the "fan" title.

That's not true....MANY fans wants concert....from all tours

No, you're most certainly not. Don't know where he/she got that from. You just have to look on this board alone, to get an idea how desperate fans are for more concerts

You certainly aren't!

That's not true....MANY fans wants concert....from all tours

Hardcore fans on this forum do not account for the millions of general fans.

There is no worldwide demand for a Michael Jackson concert. The only place you see such desires is on forums like these, and we represent barely a minuscule part of the overall picture.

The biggest draw is new music.

Yes it should be released... end of discussion... close thread please!

Thank you

lol.....

Pretty sure the estate can't release those, because they are not Michael Jackson tours. They're The Jackson's tours

But when it comes to tours, I think we've done pretty good.

So far we've got

BAD Tour Wembley DVD
Dangerous Tour Bucharest DVD
BAD Tour Yokohama on Youtube
Victory Tour Toronto on youtube
Dangerous Tour Bremen on youtube
And tons of HIStory Tour shows on youtube
And probably some more I've forgotten

And there'll probably be more leaks in the future. I would like to see more official releases, but the point I'm trying to make is that we're not exactly short of Michael Jackson concert material

So far we've got

BAD Tour Wembley DVD

And there'll probably be more leaks in the future. I would like to see more official releases, but the point I'm trying to make is that we're not exactly short of Michael Jackson concert material
don't forget Destiny :D and royal Brunei and 30th anniversary...Jackson 5 Mexico...MJ and friends..
and yeah, I'm just so thankful for leaks, because we will probably never get another concert released officially

You certainly aren't!

Hardcore fans on this forum do not account for the millions of general fans.

There is no worldwide demand for a Michael Jackson concert. The only place you see such desires is on forums like these, and we represent barely a minuscule part of the overall picture.

The biggest draw is new music.
my point is, this place is just one example where you can see fans express their desires. I don't know if everyone here is hardcore fans, as I don't know anyone personally, I don't think it's fair to generalise like that. and if fans here wants concerts, I'm sure there's plenty of fans that are not on any kind of forum, who wants concerts as well...just because the minority choose to join a forum, doesn't mean that those are the only fans who wants concerts...

Last edited:

So far we've got

BAD Tour Wembley DVD

Oh, and I am thankful-if it weren't for YouTube I wouldn't have known the "One" special was on DVD and ordered it-I just want DVDs to hold in my hand keep.

Pretty sure the estate can't release those, because they are not Michael Jackson tours. They're The Jackson's tours
And I just want the Estate to negotiate deals with whoever they have to-Jackson brothers, Jackson parents, Quincy-whoever-and release them!!!!

I remember hearing that MJ was unsure about whether or not to do it on TII, but he decided to go with it again, so maybe even he was growing bored of it by then.

I am so glad he decided to do it in TII. if it wasn't there, I would have been very disappointed

I am so glad he decided to do it in TII. if it wasn't there, I would have been very disappointed

Given the fact it was intended for this to be his last tour, I think it was important for some of his earliest works to be there - even if momentarily. Still, a bit of change to which songs he played or how he performed them would've helped.

Doesn't excuse the fact that it's such a boring part of the show.

Even the This Is It version, what with the new back drop, is still more of the same.

When I look at the discussions in various MJ boards and FB groups fans very much want tours. Actually tours are one of the most discussed topics when it comes to release wishes. It's just HIStory tour that is probably not high on many fans' wish list but to generalize from that to ALL tours? Why?

tours with the Jacksons should not be an issue... We have gotten released stuff with performance footage from those same concerts and even dvd releases with jacksons music videos.. Anything under the Epic foundation should not be difficult.. and even if they went as far back as Motown I am sure agreements can be made very easy.. its not like Motown is making any money off of J5 footage without estate being involved so....

Tours are something that are aimed at the minority level of fans. There isn't much draw on a worldwide level.

Look at releases from Queen, Elvis, Tupac, David Bowie - they have concert releases almost consistently. They are all low sellers because the world isn't substantially interested in concerts as much as they are new music.

If you're judging based solely on what would do well commercially, concerts are not the way to go.

One of the things about the HIStory tour that always bothered me is this...I must stress that I still love MJ, but who did Michael think he was fooling around that time period with the lip syncing? I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of people who attended those HIStory tour shows also saw the Bad and Dangerous tours. During the Dangerous tour and the second leg of the Bad tour, Beat It was tuned all the way down to D flat because of how much his voice changed. Suddenly during the HIStory tour, it's back to E standard and he sounds just like he did when he was in his twenties?

Then again, I always had the feeling that MJ wanted people to be more drawn to the extravagant stage production he put on for that tour.

One of the things about the HIStory tour that always bothered me is this...I must stress that I still love MJ, but who did Michael think he was fooling around that time period with the lip syncing? I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of people who attended those HIStory tour shows also saw the Bad and Dangerous tours. During the Dangerous tour and the second leg of the Bad tour, Beat It was tuned all the way down to D flat because of how much his voice changed. Suddenly during the HIStory tour, it's back to E standard and he sounds just like he did when he was in his twenties?

Then again, I always had the feeling that MJ wanted people to be more drawn to the extravagant stage production he put on for that tour.

Funny you say that. I was just watching an Amateur performance of him in Amsterdam performing Stranger In Moscow in 1996. The fans were wild. The applause was beyond incredible. It would seem that they didn't notice the playback. I feel like when in the stadium, the sound made appear to sound live.
Hard to say because it's incredibly obvious when his voice sounds perfect, and his background singers sound like him.

But I do like the History Tour, perhaps the most. While I don't like the excessive playback, I like how certain songs switched to playback. Songs like They Don't Really Care About Us, Smooth Criminal, Billie Jean, Beat It and The D. S Melody sound best as playback. I'm not a fan of Michael's live vocals on songs like Billie Jean and Beat It. Heavy dancing influences his voice greatly.

Not to mention History had a wildly different set list from the other Tours. Dangerous Tour was quite similar to Bad.

Tours are something that are aimed at the minority level of fans. There isn't much draw on a worldwide level.

Look at releases from Queen, Elvis, Tupac, David Bowie - they have concert releases almost consistently. They are all low sellers because the world isn't substantially interested in concerts as much as they are new music.

If you're judging based solely on what would do well commercially, concerts are not the way to go.

With all respect, a big reason why concert releases by those artists might not move much sales wise is because the market is saturated with them. That isn't the case for Michael, who has only had two official home video concert releases (Wembley and Bucharest), both of which sold incredibly well, and in the case of Wembley, were heaped with praise by critics.

I doubt that a History Tour release would elicit much attention critically, but it would by it's very nature sell well, because there just isn't that much live Michael Jackson on DVD or official released in any capacity. Releasing the Victory Tour would of course be a huge coup, and I imagine would sell like hotcakes - but that's a topic for another thread.

I believe that a possible official release of the HIStory Tour is a good thing, not just for his fans but also for the general public.

The main reason is that it is a tour which summarizes his career in the most complete way (more representative tracklist of his career, for example).

But also in terms of dancing, MJ reached his apogee as a dancer here. His dance moves during that tour are more elaborate & precise than ever before.

There is no worldwide demand for a Michael Jackson concert.

That sounds more like a sweeping statement on your part.

Also, these artists you mentioned are not really known for their live performances in the same way as MJ does who was first & foremost a live performer/dancer.

That sounds more like a sweeping statement on your part.

Of all the Michael Jackson discussion I've seen from casual fans, I very rarely see anything regarding a future concert release. I'll see dozens upon dozens of comments about the quality of his dancing, or how one specific performance (typically a one-off like Motown 25 or the 1995 VMAs) is all sorts of incredible, but you'll only come across legitimate demand for a concert DVD/Blu-Ray from the hardcore fan base. And we, sadly, make up but a small fraction of overall MJ fans.

You don't see Live in Bucharest or Live at Wembley returning to the charts at random intervals. You don't see casual fans engaging in hyped conversation over the prospect of a future concert release. There simply isn't the demand for it on a substantial level worldwide. That's not a generalization; that's an observation based on general sales numbers. And even if the world did grow interest in such a release, the current bias against lip-synching would become an immediate issue, and anything released from the History tour would be torn to shreds, which would undoubtedly damage Michael's title as the greatest performer of all time.

Also, these artists you mentioned are not really known for their live performances in the same way as MJ does who was first & foremost a live performer/dancer.

I wouldn't say this is accurate. Of course Michael has a reputation for being one of the greatest live performers to ever live (if not THE greatest), but you'd get various answers if you asked people, "What would you say Michael Jackson was best known for?" Some would say his music, some would say his vocals, some would say his eccentricities, some would say his dancing. It's a person by person basis. My girlfriend, for example, knows the legacy of the Motown 25 performance, but has never seen it.

Matter of fact, this would be an interesting poll to make within the general public. If someone had any pull in a large media organization, it would be nice to see exactly where the casual fans stand on this one.

Maybe on Blu-Ray/DVD but not in cinemas. It wouldn't give a good impression of him. Too much lip-syncing. More Bad Tour and Dangerous Tour concerts need to be released. Also Victory Tour. They should focus on those.

But I do like the History Tour, perhaps the most. While I don't like the excessive playback, I like how certain songs switched to playback. Songs like They Don't Really Care About Us, Smooth Criminal, Billie Jean, Beat It and The D. S Melody sound best as playback. I'm not a fan of Michael's live vocals on songs like Billie Jean and Beat It. Heavy dancing influences his voice greatly.

Billie Jean sounded great on Victory and Bad Tour. It didn't sound as good on Dangerous Tour but a lot better than lip-synced performances. History Tour is boring to watch.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the introduction video in 3D. That would be really cool. A 'Best of' each tour would be welcome featuring things like Michael not using the Toaster in Paris 1992, Red jacket BOTDF in Bremen etc.

Back