How MJ's Public Appearances Influenced His Career

Michael's words apparently means nothing to you people. seems you'd much rather believe the tabloids, or what others has said about him. wow :( you completely ignore what he has said himself? why? I don't get it

No no I never and everyone else also here on this thread never believe the silly stories they printed . I think what people are just saying is that Michael
liked to have a laugh sometimes ( like any normal person imho) . Considering what he had been put through , would you blame him for sometimes just going out and
basically putting two fingers up to the press. He knew no matter what he did , the press would write about it.

Michael's words apparently means nothing to you people. seems you'd much rather believe the tabloids, or what others has said about him. wow :( you completely ignore what he has said himself? why? I don't get it
absolutely no one here is quoting a tabloid, mocking Michael, disrespecting him or ignored what he said himself.
I am not sure what you are reading to get that impression.

It's quite refreshing to be able to have a discussion about what Michael did or said publicly without being ridiculed for it. Since 1985 I do not know one solitary person among my family, friends or co-workers that I could discuss Michael's work, art or life without them ripping him (and me) apart.

Andymachine;4133633 said:
NHe knew no matter what he did , the press would write about it.
exactly!!! he knew that!! it didn't matter how he looked when he went out. if he went out dressed "normally", they would just find something else to write about him. he knew that. they had already destroyed his image way before that, and it didn't matter what he did, people had already that image of him that he was a weirdo, because the tabloid would continue to write shit about him till the end of time. and as long as they keep writing, people will keep reading, believing, judging. he's not "asking for it", because he goes out like this. he never asked for it. and to say that his life was an act? wtf kind of crap is that? THAT is something that comes from the tabloids
and he couldn't build a normal image for himself, even if he tried!!! no matter what he did. not as long as the tabloids exists. he also knew that these things didn't matter to his fans. they were not gonna judge him. but seems some fans don't get that, and would rather make fun of him, laugh at him, because his face is covered in whatever. I mean, really? how is that even funny? and yeah, he probably did it to say FU to the press. but the reason he even chose to do it in the first place, is ****ing sad. because, had they left him alone, he probably would never feel the need to do it. I don't understand how anyone can laugh at that
if a random person came walking down the street like that, how many people would laugh at them? the minority would. but not Michael Jackson. because he's a laughing stock, and it's ok to laugh because it's him?
it doesn't ****ing matter what he said, people didn't believe him. when he explained everything to Oprah, people STILL went, oh he bleach his skin, he had all this plastic surgery etc. and then when his autopsy becomes public, people go, oohh, so he WAS telling the truth when he said he had vitiligo! :doh: and some people even said that the family had paid them to write that in the autopsy report
oh, and then there was this brilliant post:
GGVVGGCC22331122;4133620 said:
Absolutely!!! Would it really have mattered at all what Michael (allegedly) did, or when he (supposedly) did it? There are people who still think he must have been guilty of something, if not already having had doubts about his innocence, in either one of both cases. Some will never be fully convinced of the fact that he was found “not guilty” (which, to the average person, means the same thing as being found “innocent”), even though he had been acquitted of committing any crimes against anyone. And, there are those who believe that he simply got off scot-free, partly because he paid to have the best attorneys representing him, due to his celebrity status and the (mostly negative) attention the media gave each case.
you have the evidence right there in front of you, but people still choose to not believe it. because it doesn't matter what he did or said, or what evidence was presented, people were NEVER gonna believe him. no matter how "normal" he dressed when he went out, it wouldn't automatically make people think he was normal

"Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars. Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a damn word that comes out of his mouth." Michael Jackson

and to say he continued to be around children after the allegations in 1993, was because he was afraid it would look bad if he didn't? :wtf2 Michael loved children! have any of you ever even heard him talk about children, how strongly he feel about children, and what they mean to him? HE COULDN'T LIVE WITHOUT CHILDREN WHICH IS WHY HE WOULD NEVER STOP HANGING OUT WITH THEM NO MATTER WHAT!!! NOT BECAUSE HE WAS AFRAID HOW WOULD HE LOOK? I mean, seriously??? what the hell????? :wtf:

"If there were no children on this earth, if someone announced all kids were dead, I would jump off the balcony immediately" Michael Jackson

so yeah, you are kinda mocking him, though you might not be aware of it, and are not doing it on purpose. I know we are all fans here, and we all love him. it's just that I'm shocked seeing this coming from fans, which I have never seen before

Last edited:
Michaels Lover;4133643 said:
and to say he continued to be around children after the allegations in 1993, was because he was afraid it would look bad if he didn't? :wtf2 Michael loved children! have any of you ever even heard him talk about children, how strongly he feel about children, and what they mean to him? HE COULDN'T LIVE WITHOUT CHILDREN WHICH IS WHY HE WOULD NEVER STOP HANGING OUT WITH THEM NO MATTER WHAT!!! NOT BECAUSE HE WAS AFRAID HOW WOULD HE LOOK? I mean, seriously??? what the hell????? :wtf:

"If there were no children on this earth, if someone announced all kids were dead, I would jump off the balcony immediately" Michael Jackson

so yeah, you are kinda mocking him, though you might not be aware of it, and are not doing it on purpose. I know we are all fans here, and we all love him. it's just that I'm shocked seeing this coming from fans, which I have never seen before

I don't think that anyone said that Mike continued to be around children after 93 because he was afraid that he would look bad if he didn´t. But I think the person that posted it (I think it was HIStoric) meant that that would be what the press and the people that judged him would think. We all know that Michael loved children and he couldn't live without them.

MJInTheMirror;4133644 said:
I don't think that anyone said that Mike continued to be around children after 93 because he was afraid that he would look bad if he didn´t. But I think the person that posted it (I think it was HIStoric) meant that that would be what the press and the people that judged him would think. We all know that Michael loved children and he couldn't live without them.

Correct.

Ugh, there's always one person who has to throw a spanner in the works of these interesting conversations. No offense or anything, but I find it hard to take you seriously with a signature like that. You are obviously completely and utterly besotted with MJ like a teenage One Direction fan. That's fine, I think a lot of us went through that phase with Michael, the posters on the wall, the whole love of my life thing etc. But I think a lot of us have grown up and are past that kind of blind hero-worship fandom now. We still love Michael, but we also have lives and opinions outside of him. Perhaps if you find our comments to be so hurtful then you shouldn't read this thread, because it seems to me you are taking a lot of things the wrong way and lacking in basic comprehension.
So you don't like my post and you judge me by my signature? :blink: No offense or anything, but I find it hard to take someone who stoops to such behavior seriously. I couldn't care less about your opinion

Interesting convo here and no... You guys aren't out of line yet :cheeky:

When opinions are expressed it's a 'filpside' sometimes not to take stuff too 'personally'. Everyone has different values and opinions and some 'clash' and some 'agree'. It's like it is.

Anyway, I've always been as 'stubborn' a MJ like that. Why 'conform' in today's 'narrowminded' standards and 'losing your identity' with it just so you would 'fit in'. I mean, the public will always find something to gossip about even if you're not a celeb.

Most people are afraid to be themselves but whatelse can you be. :smilerolleyes:

So indeed, on the topic on Michael with kids! I mean IF you didn't do anything WRONG WHY should you change your behaviour just to 'fit in'? Nah, it's the Public wrong perception.

Its like when you're still single in your 40's you're considered 'weird' by 'society's standards' I wonder why exactly cause it's your life and no one has a say over how you live your life, right?

Yeah, the 'out of the box' stuff Michael did with the 'post its' was just his 'character flaw' as I call it. It doesn't mean its a BAD thing... as He knew the press would have a field day with it. Then again, your name is 'printed' right?

Anyway, to wrap up this 'rambling' lol. I would just say... People mix up the two sides too much... There is a 'private' MJ who can do whatever he likes if it makes him happy and there is the 'JOB MJ'. The one who writes songs and perform to entertain us.

I never understood WHY people have this high expections of artists. I mean they are only like us. The only difference is that they have the guts to be different and share their talents with us and in my 'humble opinion... What they do in their 'private' life isn't any of our business.

When opinions are expressed it's a 'filpside' sometimes not to take stuff too 'personally'. Everyone has different values and opinions and some 'clash' and some 'agree'. It's like it is.

Anyway, I've always been as 'stubborn' a MJ like that. Why 'conform' in today's 'narrowminded' standards and 'losing your identity' with it just so you would 'fit in'. I mean, the public will always find something to gossip about even if you're not a celeb.

Most people are afraid to be themselves but whatelse can you be. :smilerolleyes:

So indeed, on the topic on Michael with kids! I mean IF you didn't do anything WRONG WHY should you change your behaviour just to 'fit in'? Nah, it's the Public wrong perception.

Its like when you're still single in your 40's you're considered 'weird' by 'society's standards' I wonder why exactly cause it's your life and no one has a say over how you live your life, right?

Yeah, the 'out of the box' stuff Michael did with the 'post its' was just his 'character flaw' as I call it. It doesn't mean its a BAD thing... as He knew the press would have a field day with it. Then again, your name is 'printed' right?

Anyway, to wrap up this 'rambling' lol. I would just say... People mix up the two sides too much... There is a 'private' MJ who can do whatever he likes if it makes him happy and there is the 'JOB MJ'. The one who writes songs and perform to entertain us.

I never understood WHY people have this high expections of artists. I mean they are only like us. The only difference is that they have the guts to be different and share their talents with us and in my 'humble opinion... What they do in their 'private' life isn't any of our business.

Cheers Daryll!

Fully understand this viewpoint and I think it falls into two categories:

1. Michael Jackson should be able to do whatever the hell he wants as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, including 'image' changes, post it notes on face/masks, hanging round with kids etc.

2. Michael Jackson should have tapered his behaviour in order to rebuild his image & be accepted more by a skeptical & ever 'MJ wary' public

From my perspective, having lived through the OTW/Thriller/Bad & Dangerous mania I just wanted him to be loved again & people to see the genius & philanthropist we knew him to be. Hence I wish he would have stopped the appearance & behaviour 'strangeness'. I applaud him though for not backing down on the caring for kids part.

For those in the thread that see these posts as negative towards MJ, please read the paragraph above to understand further. No-one has put him down, it is about how his behaviour contributed to an already cold perception by many.

Excellent summary :)
I loved the many "quirks" that MJ had , totally not defending the press , yes they did sometimes go overboard , but MJ I think did have fun at times with them. Who wouldnt in his position?
When it came to the disguises and things I think he had a wicked sense of humor. I mean that in a good way ! :)

I think MJ saw what worked for him in the eighties, planting stories in the press, publicity stunts, eccentric public appearances etc and continued doing it long after it stopped working for him. In the 80s he was this untouchable demi-God of pop music, who lived this fantastical life, people were fascinated by him, he made himself a curious figure of intrigue, an enigma etc. This coupled with the fact that he was also supernaturally talented in multiple different areas made MJ appear like a deity in pop culture in the 1980's.

After 1993, MJ continued with this approach but it wasn't working for him anymore. I think it was already starting to become counter-productive a while before 93, but certainly after the allegations people didn't see him as an enigma anymore, that's when you started to notice a shift in public perception and you started hearing words like "freak" being used instead. Media and detractors concluded that he must've been guilty of something because he was so strange in other areas of his life etc.

What was considered an enigma in the 80s, was suddenly given a whole new sinister undertone in the 90s and in carrying on with these antics, it did untold damage to his reputation and credibility as an artist. I think this is the main reason why Dangerous and HIStory are so grossly overlooked by both critics and the music buying public alike, in spite of the obvious commercial and artistic merits of these albums. Michael Jackson just came with too much baggage by the 90s and it turned a lot of people off.

Exactly, what started out as working for him (the quirks & fake stories), quickly became an out of control monster that no-one could stop.

Elephant Man bones & Liz Taylor shrine are easily laughed off as a loveable, eccentric pop star. But when the allegations started it all took a darker turn.

And it was massively unfortunate and something no-one saw coming, is that these previous stories made it easier for the allegations to be believed.

So, as I was saying after 1993, he really should have stopped anything that made him look bizarre. In my opinion at least. Like others have said, the other side of this is that he shouldn't have to stop anything because of a set of false accusations. But I maintain that if he wanted people to believe him & to think of him as a 'normal guy' then he needed to make a change.

You can't have things both ways, take this excerpt from '93 Grammy's:

"I wasn't aware the world thought I was so weird and so bizarre"

Well, if anyone goes round in mask & post its then they're going to think it! Of course, it's very possible that this was due to health reasons also, maybe he has marks around mouth/eyes etc at the time. But he was past 'benefit of the doubt' by then.

MJ was down with the idea with changing his appearance, planting fake stories, doings things he knew would make headlines. He was a student of the P.T. Barnum school of mystic. Why do we feel so sorry for him, when he himself said that he had 'crocodile skin' and was a resilient person?

MJ was down with the idea with changing his appearance, planting fake stories, doings things he knew would make headlines. He was a student of the P.T. Barnum school of mystic. Why do we feel so sorry for him, when he himself said that he had 'crocodile skin' and was a resilient person?

Not sure I ever said I felt sorry for him, but bearing in mind he became the object of mockery & ridicule & made it easier for the allegations to be believed, then yes it's reason enough to feel sorry for him.

Re: The problems with Invincible

The king of pop, rock and troll!!

:lol: It's THIS !
I agree with most of these posts. He so knew what he was doing The cheeky little bugger x haha This is a good thread
I love Mike I miss him

:lol: It's THIS !
I agree with most of these posts. He so knew what he was doing The cheeky little bugger x haha This is a good thread
I love Mike I miss him

Haha agreed :) Also a very honest and open thread I feel. It has been very good also. Michael loved mystique and also at times sillyness ( hence the funny disguises ) . He had a fantastic and devilish sense of humor! :)

The public appearances by Michael in the mid-late 80's helped create the eccentric, over the top, lager than life, mysterious figure did not work the same way after the mid 90's and allegations...

Basically what was genius worked against him later.. He created this mythical being which people naturally become intrigued and try to figure out... so all eyes go on him and everyone watches to see what IT is.. Once the allegations happened (sadly) many people saw that as the "ah-ha" moment.. and it was not a good one.. So at that point what was viewed as eccentric turned into 'crazy'.. (all view not my personal thought of Mike).. So when someone is thought as 'crazy' or "*****' the NEED is to be relatable or every eccentric action makes that person look crazier.

That's when publicity 'stunts' if you want to call them started to work against him... there Is a fine line between what's thought is funny/interesting and 'disturbing'..

Before anyone tries to twist what I say, in no way am I saying MJ was crazy...

That's when publicity 'stunts' if you want to call them started to work against him... there Is a fine line between what's thought is funny/interesting and 'disturbing'..
Before anyone tries to twist what I say, in no way am I saying MJ was crazy...

I do get what 'you saying... I don't know if its 'human nature' or taught as a 'social skill' but indeed...
Once, you fall out of grace by the public somehow, all they pick on is "what is wrong with you" and they seem to be blind for all the good stuff you did.

Don't know if I can compare it to 'bullying' here :unsure: but that thought just popped in my head.

When people start to believe 'rumors' you're suddenly the 'rotten apple' though you still have a good side hidden under it. :blush:

I just think that was a risk MJ 'maybe' knew when he hit off with these 'stunts' . There is always a downside to every action you take.

The shame is that it wouldn't have taken much to turn that perception around in 1993-96.

I really think we so heartbreakingly close after Oprah & the Grammy's.

(I'm pretty sure 'Oprah & The Grammy's were an early Motown signing).

I distinctly recall my 20 year old self's heart jumping for joy during the funny & self aware Grammy's speech.

The public, especially the American public, are suckers for honesty & someone perceived to be turning opinion by admitting faults etc (not that MJ was admitting fault here but he was at least explaining himself).

Then even after the allegations, there were sparks of 'normality' (for want of a much better word!), e.g the Diane Sawyer interview; but post 2000 something happened (I'm not sure what) and there were too many instances of 'weirdness' (again for want of a better word!) and by that time I think he'd thought 'screw it'!!

Behind the scenes though, I reckon he was his normal self & I would love to see how he interacted behind closed doors. The anecotes from the kids & those that knew him, seem to back that up.

Reading some of the comments on here, you would think that the press were right all along. It was all Michaels fault, he was 'weird', and 'deserved' all of the hell they put him through.

I have to shake my head at some of the nonsense so-called 'fans' come out with. Michael should have conformed to a life that the press dictated? Or Michael should have 'behaved' just in case some fans got a little teased at school? Peerrrrrleeease!

Yes, he made some mistakes, as well all do. But they were his mistakes and, if I know anything about him, they were 'honest' mistakes. Stop picking him apart.

Michael was unique, in a most beautiful way. You either get that, or you don't.

Reading some of the comments on here, you would think that the press were right all along. It was all Michaels fault, he was 'weird', and 'deserved' all of the hell they put him through.

I have to shake my head at some of the nonsense so-called 'fans' come out with. Michael should have conformed to a life that the press dictated? Or Michael should have 'behaved' just in case some fans got a little teased at school? Peerrrrrleeease!

Yes, he made some mistakes, as well all do. But they were his mistakes and, if I know anything about him, they were 'honest' mistakes. Stop picking him apart.

Michael was unique, in a most beautiful way. You either get that, or you don't.
exactly. isn't it just sad that some fans are no better than those misunderstanding and judging him?

exactly. isn't it just sad that some fans are no better than those misunderstanding and judging him?

I think it's more sad that some fans try to shut down an interesting conversation about the public's perception of Michael and question the motives of other fans who do want to have that conversation.

I think if Michael just did something that made him more relatable... which I believe is what his goal was with 'Living with MJ' which backfired!!! But If there was just something tangible for the public to hold onto to show him as a person, a side they never see would have been great for his career. Picture for example MJ doing SNL, would show a playful yet real side of MJ..

When people can laugh WITH someone they open a part of there hearts to them automatically..

I think if Michael just did something that made him more relatable... which I believe is what his goal was with 'Living with MJ' which backfired!!! But If there was just something tangible for the public to hold onto to show him as a person, a side they never see would have been great for his career. Picture for example MJ doing SNL, would show a playful yet real side of MJ..

When people can laugh WITH someone they open a part of there hearts to them automatically..

Michael on SNL? No thanks. I wouldn't want Michael to be part of a show that made disgusting pedophile jokes about him

jackson.jpg

I believe he was in a bookstore with the kids at the time.

That looks more like the kind of tape for medical purposes that you can cut off a the desirable length (notice the pieces are not all equally big). Like this:

images

He might have had a rash or cut himself shaving or something. I also wouldn't rush to judgment about the wheelchair since he might have had an injury we don't know about. It's a bit unfair to assume he was just doing this for attention. On the whole, I think this is one of Michael's 'better' disguises ;D

That looks more like the kind of tape for medical purposes that you can cut off a the desirable length (notice the pieces are not all equally big). Like this:

images

He might have had a rash or cut himself shaving or something. I also wouldn't rush to judgment about the wheelchair since he might have had an injury we don't know about. It's a bit unfair to assume he was just doing this for attention. On the whole, I think this is one of Michael's 'better' disguises ;D

Yeah that is true . However you had to put that picture up didnt you ! Got me laughing again lol :p I really do think MJ was just having a laugh with this one to be honest. He always struck me as someone that would be laughing his head off about it once he got into his limo lol .
Regarding MJ doing things like shows like SNL etc . I would have liked to see him do some interviews with fans , things like televised question and answer stuff. I know he did this once with pre Invicinble release but I would love to have seen more :)

I think it's more sad that some fans try to shut down an interesting conversation about the public's perception of Michael and question the motives of other fans who do want to have that conversation.

I'm not trying to get anything "shut down". how can I get it shut down? I'm not a mod? and they are obviously fine with the thread as it's still here. there's not much I can do about that, even if I wanted! but I damn sure have the right as much as everyone else, to speak my mind

when people can finally understand him (when and if they finally can find it in their heart to listen to HIM instead of THEM), then they will automatically see that he has this side to him, that he's human, and they will open up their hearts to him. why would he have to prove that his human, just because the tabloids made him a monster? he didn't create that image, they did. he didn't owe anyone to prove anything

I don't remember MJ putting out PT Barnum stories of himself in the media in the 90s like he did in the 80s. So that did change.

I don't think MJ was the SNL kind of person either. I also do not think it was ALL an act - I mean his persona, eccentricities, call it whatever. He REALLY was very different than your average person, or even your average celebrity. You either like it or not, you can either accept it or not, but his mind did not tick the same way as the average person's. You can already see that very early on, in those OTW era interviews as well. So to me if he had tried to change into some "normal person" (whatever that is by the average person's perception) THAT would have probably not been the real him. And I would not want him to not be the real him or conform to average, boring people's expectations. Even the price of him being him is being attacked or misunderstood. Well, he is not the first, not the last genius that "normal people" ridicule and don't get. That's just the fate of many geniuses.

I'm not saying he did not make mistakes that would and should have been avoidable. I'm not saying at times he did not overdo stuff. He was stubborn. He also liked to troll the public, yes (before that was even a word, LOL). But he was never a "normal person" (that I feel some here would have liked him to turn into) - and I don't think that's a bad thing.

images

exactly. I don't know why he did this, but to just assume he did it for fun, we don't know that, he might as well have gotten injured in some way, and people just laugh at him? :/
this is a much better disguise though
tumblr_lrnx5qUm2f1r2ypnoo1_500.jpg

or this one
10805767_10203304354311475_79401026048945238_n.jpg

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't want my idols to be normal. They should be different. Normal is boring and normal can't create genius.

I'm just saying if he'd have reigned it in during the later years it would have helped his career and image.

And don't say he wasn't hurt by his public perception, just watch Ghost.

Perhaps, but then a lot of the "mystery" surrounding Michael would be gone as well and that's a great part of his appeal. Michael had no interest in being relatable to the public. He wanted to be seen as larger than life, an enigma, impossible to fully understand or reach. He speaks a lot about the importance of maintaining a sense of mystery as a celebrity in the book with Rabbi Shmuley (the MJ tapes). This only started to change a bit when he realised the media had turned him into a sort of caricature of himself. Then he did give us glimpses into his personal life every now and then, like with the Oxford speech and the Home Videos.

I can't find the source right now but I remember Michael saying that he's not a comedian and he wouldn't want to go on stage and have people laugh just because he's Michael Jackson when he knows in his heart that he's not funny. Personally, I'm glad he never did shows like SNL. It would take away from his 'brand' a bit I feel. It's just not Michael. And it doesn't matter to me that people think he's weird or strange. It makes the reward all the greater once they get to know what he is truly about! At least it was like that for me :) Michael is still a bit like a hidden gem, an acquired taste... it takes a bit of effort to dig past the bullshit and find out what he was truly like.

Back