How often do you listen to MJ or The J5?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
This is a question in 4 parts.

Part1: how often do you consciously listen to MJ related music?
Options:
- everyday
- once a week
- 2/3 times a week
- once a month
- a couple of times a month

These are the 5 options, if you score less ( for example once or twice a year) then you are a casual fan at best imo.
Personally I consciously listen to his music once a week as a miminum. It could be daily in certain periods or in rare occasions it could be once a month. In general weekly seems like the correct answer for me.

Part2: What do you listen to when you decide to listen to MJ related music?
Options:
- Jackson 5
- Jacksons
- Off the Wall/thriller/bad
- Dangerous/HIStory/Invincible
- Outtakes, snippets, post humous songs, remixes
- a mixture of all options above

Mine is pretty much a mixture though there is a slight pull coming from the earlier stuff up until thriller but then again Dangerous is definitely in the mix as well

Part3: What kind of songs do you mostly listen to:
Options:
- Uptempo dance tracks
- Ballads

Personally I listen to ballads usually, this is my favorite MJ style. That said there are a couple of uptempo tracks that belong to my favorites (all coming from thriller or off the wall or the Jacksons albums).

Part4: What medium do you use to listen to his music?
Options:

- vinyl
- CD
- Spotify and similar
- youtube and similar
- mp3
- cassette
- videotape/dvd

Last edited:
This is a question in 3 parts.

Every. Single. Day.

Options:
- Jackson 5
- Jacksons
Mainly outtakes and posthumous releases with songs from HIStory, Invincible and Bad. Sometimes I listen to some songs from Dangerous, Thriller and The Jacksons. From OTW I really only listen to Get On The Floor very occasionally.
Options:
- Uptempo dance tracks
- Ballads
Mainly dance tracks, but when I'm in a relaxing mood and feel like getting lost in my mind I play ballads, recently I started to play Little Susie and Speechless more and more.

Options:
- everyday
- once a week
- 2/3 times a week
- once a month
2-3 times a week usually. Sometimes there’ll be longer gaps if an artist I like releases a new album, but MJ usually stands at the front of the pack. Every year since 2018 he’s been in my top 3 most listened to artists on Spotify, and that ain’t changing anytime soon.
Options:
- Jackson 5
- Jacksons
- Outtakes, snippets, posthumous songs, remixes
I’ve been really into HIStory and XSCAPE as of late, though more often than not I’ll play a healthy mixture of everything from Thriller onward, including leaked tracks and posthumous projects. I don’t listen to J5 or Off the Wall at all; I truly think it’s been years since I’ve played any of their songs in full. The Jacksons get some light rotation—Destiny, Triumph, and Victory are the only albums I have downloaded—but they’re lower on the list.
Options:
- Uptempo dance tracks
- Ballads
It depends on the mood of the day! Usually I find myself gravitating towards the dance tracks, but oftentimes at night I’ll enjoy the mid-tempo grooves and/or the ballads.

So..

1. Pretty much all the time at the minute. I find myself listening to other artists, Jamiroquai, Stevie Wonder, Inxs or whoever and then gravitating back to Mike. Mainly whatever CD is in my car and MJ

2. Probably Bad and Dangerous era most, because they're my favourite albums, but I also listen to HIStory/BOTD era a lot too. I love listening to 87 Bad Tour concerts of late

3. Mostly uptempo tracks, because I'm always on the go. But if an album is in my car I won't skip a good ballad

I play The Jacksons/J5/solo Motown more often than any of his solo stuff on Epic. I hear the same solo Mike songs over and over if I listen to the radio, lol. The group has a lot more material than Mike solo and other than a few songs like Shake Your Body, Dancing Machine, I Want You Back, & songs from the Christmas album, it's not overexposed. Even many of their songs that were hits I never or rarely hear anywhere today such as Ben, I Am Love or Never Can Say Goodbye.

I usually play solo Jermaine more often (mainly his Motown albums, not so much the Arista ones), because although I have Mike's & Janet's albums, their singles got overplayed and some songs still are on oldies radio. So that stuff is played out. Other than Let's Get Serious and occasionally You Like Me & Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin', I rarely if at all hear Jermaine's songs on the radio now. With Mike solo on Epic, I mostly listen to the stuff on the Off The Wall album, not the others that much. When I do, I play the 12" single versions & remixes or instrumental/dub versions because they are not on the radio. With Who Is It, Smooth Criminal, & Bad I had always listened to one of the remixes more than the album versions because I like them better. But I don't dislike the album mixes though. I've always been a fan of remixes & extended versions anyway and I have a lot of them by many artists. It doesn't bother me if the mix is 22 minutes long like America by Prince & The Revolution. Some people don't like songs over 4 minutes, lol.

I play The Jacksons/J5/solo Motown more often than any of his solo stuff on Epic. I hear the same solo Mike songs over and over if I listen to the radio, lol. The group has a lot more material than Mike solo and other than a few songs like Shake Your Body, Dancing Machine, I Want You Back, & songs from the Christmas album, it's not overexposed. Even many of their songs that were hits I never or rarely hear anywhere today such as Ben, I Am Love or Never Can Say Goodbye.

I usually play solo Jermaine more often (mainly his Motown albums, not so much the Arista ones), because although I have Mike's & Janet's albums, their singles got overplayed and some songs still are on oldies radio. So that stuff is played out. Other than Let's Get Serious and occasionally You Like Me & Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin', I rarely if at all hear Jermaine's songs on the radio now. With Mike solo on Epic, I mostly listen to the stuff on the Off The Wall album, not the others that much. When I do, I play the 12" single versions & remixes or instrumental/dub versions because they are not on the radio. With Who Is It, Smooth Criminal, & Bad I had always listened to one of the remixes more than the album versions because I like them better. But I don't dislike the album mixes though. I've always been a fan of remixes & extended versions anyway and I have a lot of them by many artists. It doesn't bother me if the mix is 22 minutes long like America by Prince & The Revolution. Some people don't like songs over 4 minutes, lol.

So talking about extended versions. Do you know if Womack & Womack’s teardrops has an available extended version? I can’t get enough of that groove!

As for Jermaine, here in Belgium “do what you do” occasionally gets a spin on the radio, it was a nr 1 hit here. When the rain begins to fall is on the radio basically daily.

Usually 2-3 times a week. Sometimes more. Like AlwaysThere if a current artist releases something new I might take a bit of break but I always go back. I listen to mostly MJ's own solo stuff, although there is a few J5 and Jackson tracks that I quite enjoy.

Options:
- everyday
Every day, without fail.

Options:
- Jackson 5
- Jacksons
A mixture of all. Every Day Off the Wall/Thriller/Bad/Xscape and Jacksons - Destiny and Triumph. I listen to some combination of all of those every day. Every week, I listen to some songs from Dangerous/HIStory, but they aren't daily for me. I constantly debate my preference for Dangerous or HIStory. I probably love those albums equally. I also listen to Jackson 5 and some MJ outtakes.

Invincible I listen to the least. Probably every couple of weeks I'll intentionally listen to the album. But I might hear an Invincible song more often if it's on a playlist I created.

Options:
- Uptempo dance tracks
- Ballads
Mostly uptempo music, but I also created a playlist called "soft and lovely MJ" and it includes any kind of songs where his voice feels especially heavenly to me. I listen to that A LOT.

Options:
Streaming through Spotify or Youtube Music, YouTube Videos, and vinyl. I have some CDs, but I don't listen to them often.

I listen to MJ significantly more than I watch him. Mostly because listening to him gets me through my day and watching him can completely derail it lol.

So talking about extended versions. Do you know if Womack & Womack’s teardrops has an available extended version? I can’t get enough of that groove!

As for Jermaine, here in Belgium “do what you do” occasionally gets a spin on the radio, it was a nr 1 hit here. When the rain begins to fall is on the radio basically daily.
I don't know. Although they are a group from the USA, Womack & Womack wasn't really popular here. I never heard them on the radio. I think they were more popular in other countries. Also Pia Zadora wasn't popular here either (at least not as a singer), so that When The Rain song isn't something a lot of people in the US would be aware of.

With buying an extended version today, you might have to go through the used record market. Because most of the maxi singles were only available when the songs were originally released. Sometimes, the mixes will be added to a re-release of an album if it's some popular artist. Even then it will mostly be the main remix. When the maxi single might have 8 mixes. Mariah Carey had a few 2 record set of remixes of the same song. More than likely if something is out of print as a physical copy, it's probably not going to be on streaming sites either unless somebody uploads their copy on Youtube. Sometimes you can find brand new unopened copies of old records, tapes, & CDs. They call these "new old stock" or "mint condition". There's stuff like VCRs & 8-track tape players that are also "new old stock". Try the Discogs site or Ebay.

Options:
- everyday
- once a week
- 2/3 times a week
- once a month

These are the 5 options, if you score less ( for example once or twice a year) then you are a casual fan at best imo.
Personally I consciously listen to his music once a week as a miminum. It could be daily in certain periods or in rare occasions it could be once a month. In general weekly seems like the correct answer for me.

Options:
- Jackson 5
- Jacksons

Mine is pretty much a mixture though there is a slight pull coming from the earlier stuff up until thriller but then again Dangerous is definitely in the mix as well

Options:
- Uptempo dance tracks
- Ballads

Personally I listen to ballads usually, this is my favorite MJ style. That said there are a couple of uptempo tracks that belong to my favorites (all coming from thriller or off the wall or the Jacksons albums).

Options:

- vinyl
- CD
- Spotify and similar
- youtube and similar
- mp3
- cassette
- videotape/dvd
I listen to Michael on practically a daily basis. if I’m not listening, I’m watching his videos. it’s been this way for almost my entire life. I never get bored 🤭

I listen almost exclusively to the hits from ‘thriller’, ‘off the wall’, jackson 5 (69-72), and the Jacksons (76-81). usually in this exact order. all radio/single edits. though, once in awhile I will change it up. I listened to the 12” inch dance mix of ‘say say say’, and the ‘longo (?)’ remix of ‘blame it on the boogie’ this morning.

I definitely prefer the uptempo dance songs. I don’t really have the patience for ballads in general - with the exception of the likes of ‘human nature’, which I think is one his best songs ever. though I love his voice on ballads.

my main medium these days is YouTube. my playlists of the categories I listed above, are set to my liking. the same goes for videos on that platform. I also have my mp3 downloads, and tape cassettes that I plan to revisit in the near future..

Just Thriller and Off The Wall? Not even the outtakes?
I’ve enjoyed many outtakes and demos in the past, but I don’t listen to them these days because I feel guilty. besides, nothing beats the classic hits for me. Michael made the right choices in terms of what was officially released in my opinion.

I’ve enjoyed many outtakes and demos in the past, but I don’t listen to them these days because I feel guilty. besides, nothing beats the classic hits for me. Michael made the right choices in terms of what was officially released in my opinion.
When you put it like that I understand. You obviously prefer his 70s 80s output, Pre-Bad also. Which, is fine.

all radio/single edits
I'd generally didn't listen to the 45 edits. I remember when I used to tape songs off the radio, I would wait for the long version of a song and 3 or 4 times in a row it would be the short version, lol. So each time I had to tape over the same spot until the right version came on. Sometimes the long version came on when I wasn't taping and I'd miss it. Other times the radio DJ talked over the intro until the singing started and so again I'd have to wait for them to play it over.

When you put it like that I understand. You obviously prefer his 70s 80s output, Pre-Bad also. Which, is fine.
thank you for respecting my opinion. I try to focus on what I love rather than what I dislike.

I’m also a minimalist in general, with no room for what I consider to be ‘filler’. yet I still have a wide selection within the confines of my favourite eras. I have a playlist that focuses on hit collaborations such as ‘somebody’s watching me’ and ‘ease on down the road’. I also have one for remixes and so on.. my initial choices were based on the options presented in the post question.

Last edited:
I'd generally didn't listen to the 45 edits. I remember when I used to tape songs off the radio, I would wait for the long version of a song and 3 or 4 times in a row it would be the short version, lol. So each time I had to tape over the same spot until the right version came on. Sometimes the long version came on when I wasn't taping and I'd miss it. Other times the radio DJ talked over the intro until the singing started and so again I'd have to wait for them to play it over.
I can remember taping off the radio when uk garage was still underground in the late nineties. the tunes were played in a continuous mix for the most part, and the artist/song title were rarely, if ever, listed. it was the only way I could own them. the djs would speed and pitch the sound up. to me, this was the way it was supposed to sound, and I was disappointed when the official releases would be slow in comparison.

whenever I hear a song for the first time, it’s usually on the radio or the music video. sometimes they have edits and mixes exclusive to them - which I don’t mind because it’s usually similar to what appears on the single. album versions are different story, but I generally dislike albums altogether..

2- 3 times a week but via YouTube and I'm looking at alternative takes of Human nature or the full version of The lady in my life. Those type of tracks.

There's nothing new for me to get excited about unless some random leaked track comes along like Chicago 1945 or the recording footage (sorry Brad)

I've been listening to MJ for 20 years.

At the moment, I'm just listening to mostly Elvis and his wonderful southern singing voice. Now there was a singer who could sing incredible live!

I listen to the radio daily and pretty much every day they play an MJ song at least once. So I listen to MJ pretty much daily. Other than that I can’t say…depends on my mood. I basically listen to classical music other wise if I’m not listening to the radio. I still have days/weeks where it’s hard for me to listen to Michael because I start missing him too much and get too sad about the fact that he’s gone so I try to avoid his music on those times. But then there are days/weeks where I listen to his music the whole day for days and basically everything from Jackson 5 and the Jacksons to his solo stuff. The Dangerous album still is my absolute favorite album though so I definitely listen to that one the most. And I love the ”Uktimate Fan Extras Collection” with For All Time, Carousel, Free, I’m So Blue, Al Capone, etc….I just basically love all of his songs and like I said…depends on my mood. Listening to something like Al Capone etc. when I’m missing him makes me cry because you can hear his voice so clearly and it just reminds me of the all the good times…the concerts…being st his hotels and seeing him and the good times we had with all the other fans…..and the fact that we can NEVER get that back….it just makes me really sad still..and often. 🥲🥲🥲🥲🥲

when I’m missing him makes me cry because you can hear his voice so clearly and it just reminds me of the all the good times…the concerts…being st his hotels and seeing him and the good times we had with all the other fans…..and the fact that we can NEVER get that back….it just makes me really sad still..and often. 🥲🥲🥲🥲🥲

Sounds great, I never did all that. I was always too much of a loner. What was it like to meet other fans In real life? Did it all feel like there was a connection between all of you? How often would you meet the same people at places where MJ was showing up? I expect you bonded with some of them...

I listen to the radio daily and pretty much every day they play an MJ song at least once. So I listen to MJ pretty much daily. Other than that I can’t say…depends on my mood. I basically listen to classical music other wise if I’m not listening to the radio. I still have days/weeks where it’s hard for me to listen to Michael because I start missing him too much and get too sad about the fact that he’s gone so I try to avoid his music on those times. But then there are days/weeks where I listen to his music the whole day for days and basically everything from Jackson 5 and the Jacksons to his solo stuff. The Dangerous album still is my absolute favorite album though so I definitely listen to that one the most. And I love the ”Uktimate Fan Extras Collection” with For All Time, Carousel, Free, I’m So Blue, Al Capone, etc….I just basically love all of his songs and like I said…depends on my mood. Listening to something like Al Capone etc. when I’m missing him makes me cry because you can hear his voice so clearly and it just reminds me of the all the good times…the concerts…being st his hotels and seeing him and the good times we had with all the other fans…..and the fact that we can NEVER get that back….it just makes me really sad still..and often. 🥲🥲🥲🥲🥲
Your lucky you got to go to one of his concerts! I was born a year after he died so I will never see him (only when I die)

Back