How rare is the Dangerous First Pressing? (Pop-up)

SJR

Proud Member
Just got it off eBay :) My favourite album, just curious to how many were made?

You mean this?

5487-kk7jhe_l.jpg

I'm wondering what the difference between the first print and the other is

Yup, that's it, got a sealed one off eBay. I didn't buy it for re-sale value, just love that album so much. I heard 4500 were made, is that true?

we can buy this only on ebay right? we can not find in the store?

Yup it was only in print in '91 if I'm not mistaken (first pressing), I'm amazed that many are still sealed almost 20 years later!

I think they're worth a lot if they're still sealed! Congrats. :D

There are two different versions though, I think. One is the regular black CD, then there's either a silver or gold one that has his signature printed on it.

I bought mine on eBay really cheap, but it wasn't sealed. I think I would've been too curious and opened it anyway. I love how it looks.

Oh man Now i'm temped to open and check :( Would the Gold/Silver/Black have different ISBN's?

I have the first pressing sealed, but I don't really know FOR SURE that it's the first pressing. Any way I can find out but not open it?

I assume the first print is more valuable?

As with everything I think the first pressings or first printings are always more sought after. I have two of the gold versions one in better nic than the other!

Ahh, if anyone knows a way to tell, without opening, you'll be my hero for the week. Otherwise it'll just be calling me to open whenever I stare at it. lol.

Awesome research, pretty sure mine's the 48900, does that mean it's not the gold disk? :(

I believe so, if we can get one of you guys with an open gold cd to verify it's the 465802-9, we can confirm it. Thank you guys for your help, especially Pretty Young Thriller! Maybe I'll pick up the gold disk one in the future, or if someone wants to trade a sealed non gold for a open gold, PM me ;)

Okay so I *just* realized I got semi-ripped off. I've had it too long to do anything about it. :( My pop-up cover is the EK 48900, but the CD inside is 45400 (which is a CD that someone took out of the regular old CD you can get in stores now). Grr. So, I can't help you with what color the actual CD inside is supposed to be.

EDIT/ According to discogs 48900 is gold, so you're good. The only info I found via google on the other says it's gold too so what the actual difference is IDK. So we still need an expert to answer this one. And I have to try to win the real thing now and not get ripped off again. Grr.

Last edited:
Oh no! Maybe they threw the 45400 in all the 49800 packages, and saved the rare one for the 465?

Oh no! Maybe they threw the 45400 in all the 49800 packages, and saved the rare one for the 465?

Nope. I did a little more research on it. It's supposed to be a gold CD. :(

I didn't pay much for it at all. (Now I know why. everyone else on eBay at the time was smart enough to know better.) At least the the pop-up cover is real, I think.

Let's see barcode of mine (all dusty, left on the shelf...).........it's 48900 with GOLD CD in$ide. WOOOHOOO! I win!

Pentum, where did you get 'EPC 465802-9.'?yey, yey.. It's not the real deal!:D

Damn, I hope it's just a WRONG barcode I have! It's just an ugly sticker.

The seller said it was the first print. BUT FIRST PRINT IS GOLD?

Btw, my actually says "COLLECTORS EDITION - FIRST PRINTING" over the MJ eyes logo.

Hehe, I wasn't serious... :p
I am sure we all have first printing, maybe they were one printed in US, other ones in UK...
each barcode should tell you where was the item made. Am I right?

I don't know about that. Maybe the 465802 is UK and 48900 US? But I'm wondering if there even is a pop up that is NOT a first pressing?

I have a feeling that all of them says "First Printing" on the front, like this:

MichaelJacksonDangerous1.jpg

My cover has that too... still trying to decide if it's real though. lol

I'm pretty sure that yours is a diff. number because it's from the UK.

The ones that aren't first printing are silver CDs (according to Google and various MJ sites).

Got any pictures of the CD? Because I've never seen a silver one.

Back