How Would You Rate The MJ Illusion Performance?

How Would You Rate The MJ Illusion Performance?

• Fantastic

Votes: 24 16.4%
  • Good

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 36 24.7%
  • Horrible

Votes: 17 11.6%

• Total voters
Poor, it was a projected impersonator. Not "Michael Jackson like we've never seen". Yes, I know he's dead but this certainly wasn't anything special and from different things I've seen it's a lazy way of making Michael Jackson appear "alive" for 4 mins to promote the new album.

^^Oh oh so this thread will just be a repeat of the last one I see. Anyway it is good to see so far most find it good.

Lol, wait until some the Max Jaxer's login. Nah just kidding...So far, it's what I expected.

I think we can still discuss whatever we may feel about this project. Just in a respectful way. Of course if theirs a poll, some people will ultimately post why they voted what they voted for.

Dear Spyce, thank you so much for setting up the poll! After having a week to fully digest the performance and dialogue regarding the event, it's great that we have an opportunity to express our vote in an annonomous fashion, if preferred. For me, the performance was B) Good

Before the illusion, I stated in another thread I am against the use of deceased person's images but, I was interested in the technology. The technology was promised to be above anything used before.

Based on enlightening research in the previous thread, my suspicions were confirmed and I know now it was not above anything used before. Worse, the execution of it was ridiculously sloppy and I can never forgive the choice in impersonator.

Horrible.

Last edited:
Am I allowed to respond to posts in the previous thread here? If not, please remove my post.

Ramona122003, you are assuming the reasons the video was watched and how it received the counter number it has. You are free to do so however, I choose not to. I know those are not 10M unique views as we know many online drive counter numbers up for various reasons.

It also seems you are looking at the thumbs up/thumbs down feature as a source of support. I clicked to see the counter and the ratings for the Billboard spectacle. At that time, the video had 10,826,789 views with 113,241 thumbs-up to 4,190 thumbs down; a whopping approval rating of 96%! Continuing with mathematics, this equates to 1.05% thumbs-up, 0.04% thumbs-down, and 98.91% who could not be bothered from the whole (10M+). I personally would not use those ratings as support. Continuing, there are 14,441 comments which I personally am not going to delve into too deeply as there seems to be a debate there as well and a number of negative words directed at Michael. I would not use those comments as support either.

This brings us to using the counter for charting purposes as that would be the most positive purpose of the spectacle. You are suggesting most are not even going to view the video to hear the song. While that suggestion may make VV happy, it is truly unfortunate if true as that is Michael’s vocals and it is the only component that cannot be disputed as 100% Michael. Focusing on the positive, as per Ivy’s post which focuses on Itunes’ chart, STTR went from 111 to 39 after the Billboard spectacle but, is now at 131. If one prefers to make a connection between 10M+ YT views and Itunes’ purchases, feel free. I do not know if STTR received similar spikes on other charts as well. Billboard’s Hot 100 and Streaming Songs tracks official videos (a.k.a. Vevo channels) so we shall see where STTR falls there soon if at all.

Please save the accusations as I did not accuse anyone of inflating numbers deceptively however; it is an option. Please also notice that was not the only point WhoIsIt89 made in that post. Much of those points I discussed above. (Link here: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...Music-Awards?p=4013100&viewfull=1#post4013100)

As stated before, there are those online who will make it a mission to drive up counters for various reasons. I would suggest the focus go to streaming the LNFSG duet which is a still climbing Billboard’s singles’ chart and can hopefully secure its top ten position (previewing at 9 from 22). For me personally, it speaks more to Michael’s legacy than VV's performance.

Tygger;4013301 said:
Focusing on the positive, as per Ivy’s post which focuses on Itunes’ chart, STTR went from 111 to 39 after the Billboard spectacle but, is now at 131.

Just a minor clarification. STTR entered iTunes chart at #111 after Billboard performance. It wasn't on the chart before.

I guess we can agree that the reason why it entered, rise and still at the singles iTunes chart is because of Billboard and causal listeners / general public purchasing STTR.

I think it was a nice tribute that gave a lot of exposure to the song and just Michael again in general. Yeah, at some times it didn't even look like him, but the average person hasn't really "studied" MJ like we have. We know when something is or isn't Michael. Anyway, the first time I watched it, I was like "eh" but after watching it a few more times, it does get better for some reason. So I'll give it a good.

Ivy, thank you for the clarification. I am not against the promotional aspect of the Billboard spectacle so yes, we do agree there.

I want Xscape to succeed but, not at the expense of Michael's professional reputation.

Ivy, thank you for the clarification. I am not against the promotional aspect of the Billboard spectacle so yes, we do agree there.

I want Xscape to succeed but, not at the expense of Michael's professional reputation.

Since it was a hologram/illusion, I am not sure how it hurts Michael's professional reputation. It isn't like he was the one who did the dance and everyone knows it wasn't really Michael.

As for the Youtube numbers, from my experience you cannot inflate numbers into the millions on Youtube. Not without a group effort and of a pretty noticeable size. If it was easy, more videos would be viral. All anyone said about the numbers either way on Youtube that it 'seems' the general public likes it. Unless you are willing to run a nation poll on this matter there are no other numbers that support or contradicts Youtube.

^^I and others have already discussed how this particular spectacle was promoted in the previous thread and how that has an effect on Michael professional reputation so I will not repeat those views here.

I am glad you acknowledge that numbers can be inflated into the millions on YT. No one ever mentioned it being an easy task. I am not one of the posters who have been confusing the general public with others they spoke to about the spectacle. If you want to view that 10M+ as confirmation the VV performance was well received by the general public, feel free.

The Internet is buzzing about an odd Michael Jackson impersonation that was billed as the King of Pop returning to perform a new song in the form of a Hologram at the 2014 Billboard Awards. Whether it was hologram technology or not, it clearly was a Michael Jackson impersonation.

The (Caucasian) impersonator did not look like Michael and the body wasn’t his. The technology is here to bring Michael Jackson back onscreen — using an impersonator and superimposing his face over the impersonator’s face. But that’s not what we saw on the Billboard Awards last night.

Besides the fact that he’s dead, Michael has never performed that song particular before. So there would be no way to superimpose his face singing that new song.

Still, gullible Americans were manipulated into believing the drivel they saw onscreen during the Billboard Awards was really Michael Jackson appearing through the magic of Hologram technology.

It just goes to show you that mass delusions are real.
http://sandrarose.com/2014/05/did-billboard-use-a-michael-jackson-impersonator-for-hologram/

Last edited:
I voted good. The tech is new so never expected fantastic. It was visually really cool and did as expected as far as promotion. I liked it and SO + kids really liked.

Of course I'll be deemed a "casual fan" cuz I really like it even though I've been a fan for almost 30 years lol.

I rate it a solid 5 stars, simply due to the fact that this project was state of the art, from a technical point of view! It was done amazingly. And of course a great promotional tool, more than great even.

Well done estate and Sony!

Well this fan (from 1969) voted 'good'. If it was worded differently and asked if it had made a difference to sales and garnering new fans I would have voted 'fantastic'.

It's B for me ... IMO people who created this did their best, no matter what technique they used. There were nice moments that can inspire.

The stage and the idea are fine to me. So I respect the effort. I like the fact that it was innovative and now it “belongs” to MJ.

I hope they will perfect it. After watching videos of “making of” it was obvious a difficult task. For one song for promotion of the album that was fine, but IMO they needed and need more time on that.

Glad to see that kids love it !!!

Last edited:
Simply put, it didn't look or move like Michael Jackson. I am aware that it would be pretty much impossible for that to happen and still perform a song from Xscape but perhaps that means it shouldn't be done in the first place.

I voted Good - the staging, choreography, special effect and from a tech point of view it was pretty good; the resemblance to MJ and his moves not so good.

Poor, it was a projected impersonator. Not "Michael Jackson like we've never seen". Yes, I know he's dead but this certainly wasn't anything special and from different things I've seen it's a lazy way of making Michael Jackson appear "alive" for 4 mins to promote the new album.

Actually, I would say it's Michael like we've never seen him--since it bore no resemblance to him! :giggle:

Simply put, it didn't look or move like Michael Jackson. I am aware that it would be pretty much impossible for that to happen and still perform a song from Xscape but perhaps that means it shouldn't be done in the first place.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. I find the whole hologram concept in poor taste, but putting that aside, I don't think the end result was worth their efforts.

Ultimately, I don't think this will affect Michael's professional reputation as badly as some feel it will.

I voted "GOOD" too.
I was pissed/disappointed when I first watched on Sunday night because from the git-go
you could see it wasnt "MJ" and the hyped-up promise did not pan out.
I have since watched it several more times and have discovered things I may
have missed the first time around due to anticipation, curiosity and excitement.

There were certain shots and angles where the illusion did look like
and move like Michael. Was the project perfect? Not from my TV set,
but I applaud the effort made and technology used to try to "bring MJ BACK".

Just to add...I did like the outfit chosen.
The moonwalk was weird to me too, until I decided that
the way "he" did it was a way to "innovate" the iconic move.

JM2C :sleep:

Ultimately, I don't think this will affect Michael's professional reputation as badly as some feel it will.

It won't and that's one thing I have hard time understanding. Some people are acting like Michael's legacy and/or reputation is so weak that whatever is done now will affect it. I believe the opposite is true - that Michael's legacy /reputation has been established in his lifetime by the stuff he himself released and nothing can change that. I'm also pretty sure if people have any negative feelings towards any posthumous release they would put the blame on the people who make the decisions and not MJ who has been dead for years and has nothing to do with releases.

Like some others here I am also against 'making MJ' perform something he never performed. But even when I ignore that, I found the execution of this horrible. I can understand that the casual fan might think this looked like Michael to some degree. Heck, if I do a moonwalk at the club people think it looks like Michael, when (trust me, lol) it's not even close. As a fan who has seen countless hours of Michael performing, this illusion did not look like Michael for one second to me. Not the moves, let alone that dreadfully CGI'ed face.

It's strange to me that a lot of fans seem into this, because whenever a topic about impersonators was opened here, most people seemed very negative. But when it's officially licensed and bouncing off a projection screen, many suddenly seem into it. I'm not even talking about the way this thing came together. Whether you think it is all CGI or based on an impersonator (personally I think that they filmed Valentino and just - sloppily - used CGI on the face to make it look more like MJ), most of us seem to agree that it was not based on Michael's actual movements. So I genuinely do not get where the interest in this among fans stems from. Is it just the fact that it got people talking? Personally, I'd rather have people talking about Michael Jackson performances of Michael Jackson music, instead of a projection of (imo) a very average impersonator performing a remix of a Michael Jackson demo.

I love that phrase....'casual fan'. Lol!
Don't mean anything negative by it. Just people who might enjoy listening to MJ songs or watching videos of him every now and then, but who do not consider themselves fans, (nor actively post on fan boards). Maybe I should have just used 'the general public' instead.

lots of work to do, to make people suspend belief, instead of turn their head up in confusion. Facial features have to be more like…Michael, and tighten up the dance moves.

Don't mean anything negative by it. Just people who might enjoy listening to MJ songs or watching videos of him every now and then, but who do not consider themselves fans, (nor actively post on fan boards). Maybe I should have just used 'the general public' instead.

It's no problem Cav. It doesnt bother me like that. You can use w/e you like...obviously.
I'm in no way offended or anything.
Oh and just for the record, I've been a fan for....well probably longer than you've been in the world,
but I don't know that for sure. I'm just sayin I've been a fan a very, very, long time.

Back