I don't understand why (insert song here) gets so much hate

analogue

Proud Member
Does anyone have a song where they don't understand the hate for it? For me, it's Just Good Friends. I think the song is a ton of fun, and I love MJ's adlibs towards the end of it.

Just Good Friends. Great song and I listen it often.

Last edited:
'Why You Wanna Trip On Me' vocals are insane.

The original demo of Love Never Felt So Good, and If You Don't Love Me.

Obviously what we perceive as "hated" are based on our experiences. None of us did a representative poll about whether a song truly is "hated" or not and I don't think that is needed just to participate in this thread.

I have seen negative comments about Speed Demon. To me that's one of my faves on the Bad album, so I never got that.

I'd also add Be Not Always, which I have seen being criticized by some (not here) as MJ's worst song ever and I strongly disagree. I like it very much.

i think respects decision to put 'Speed Demon' as ''hated'' is much more surprising.

'Girlfriend'. I really love it, but I usually read negative comments about it being "sappy." McCartney was getting a bad rap at the time for that kind of thing-so he wrote "Silly Love Songs".

Out of Destiny, Triumph, OTW, Thriller and Bad-the ONLY song I dislike is 'Speed Demon.' Too "funky" for me, maybe-I'm not sure why I dislike it.
Reminds me of James Brown and I gravitate more towards melody and harmony, rather than 'funky beats'.

I wasn't aware that anyone else hated it. I thought I was the exception to the rule there.
And I LOVE the video for it.

Last edited:
I don't hate Just Good Friends, it's a meh song for me. I prefer Get It.

Others I don't like because they bore/don't move me:

It's Thr Falling In Love
Get On The Floor (too disco)
The Lady In My Life
Man In The Mirror (I don't quite like the studio version, I prefer and love more the live one.)
Keep The Faith (too preachy)
Beautiful Girl
Fall Again
Heartbreaker
Invincible
2000 Watts
Cry
The Lost Children

^ The thread is not about which songs we don't like.

(BTW, Get On The Floor is a genius song.)

No song i really like gets hate.

Maybe Invincible and The Girl is Mine.

I don't hate Just Good Friends, it's a meh song for me. I prefer Get It.

Others I don't like because they bore/don't move me:

It's Thr Falling In Love
Get On The Floor (too disco)
The Lady In My Life
Man In The Mirror (I don't quite like the studio version, I prefer and love more the live one.)
Keep The Faith (too preachy)
Beautiful Girl
Fall Again
Heartbreaker
Invincible
2000 Watts
Cry
The Lost Children

You don't like MITM?

Admittedly live versions are better. But the studio version is still immense and a calls is. KTF. Is also stunning,

A few come to mind.

The Girl is Mine... I think it's a solid song in all honesty. Never really thought anything negative about it. It's a little cheesy but I think it works in favour of the song. I like all of MJ's work with Macca and only wish they did more together tbh.

Privacy... Yeah it's another song about the media but I do enjoy the gritty rock feel to it... and I love the use of camera shutters as sound effects. Thought that was a nice touch.

Little Susie... I love the orchestral opening with the choir. All it does it is make me yearn to see more compositions of this sort from MJ. I mean, it is one of my least played songs off HIStory but I don't dislike it.

Didn't know that Speed Demon was disliked by some. I love it so much! There's this one instrumental that kicks in at 3:06 that I really love. Hope the multitracks leak someday so I can play it isolated!

'Girlfriend'. I really love it, but I usually read negative comments about it being "sappy." McCartney was getting a bad rap at the time for that kind of thing-so he wrote "Silly Love Songs".

I love Girlfriend! It's not the best song on Off The Wall but whatever, I still have a thing for it... I love playing it at night ^_^

Last edited:
A few come to mind.

The Girl is Mine... I think it's a solid song in all honesty. Never really thought anything negative about it. It's a little cheesy but I think it works in favour of the song. I like all of MJ's work with Macca and only wish they did more together tbh.

Privacy... Yeah it's another song about the media but I do enjoy the gritty rock feel to it... and I love the use of camera shutters as sound effects. Thought that was a nice touch.

Little Susie... I love the orchestral opening with the choir. All it does it is make me yearn to see more compositions of this sort from MJ. I mean, it is one of my least played songs off HIStory but I don't dislike it.

Didn't know that Speed Demon was disliked by some. I love it so much! There's this one instrumental that kicks in at 3:06 that I really love. Hope the multitracks leak someday so I can play it isolated!

I always thought Privacy was a good track. The opening strings and soundbites are very poignant and the whole shuffling rhythm really reminds me of Mary J Blige's big hit Family Affair. I also think it was one of the songs which Michael felt very passionate about including on the album as I remember him talking about a song he had written inspired by Princess Diana and the paparazzi back in 1998.

The only thing that bothers me about the song is when he shouts "Slash" and then some two-bit session guitarist gives a fairly limp excuse of a guitar solo in place of Slash.

I was also never aware that Little Susie was a disliked track. I think it's a masterpiece in the truest sense of the term.

The only thing that bothers me about the song is when he shouts "Slash" and then some two-bit session guitarist gives a fairly limp excuse of a guitar solo in place of Slash.

Wow, you're right! I looked it up online and many sites claim Slash features on the song (likely due to MJ yelling his name like you said) but reading the Invincible CD booklet... he's not credited at all on the song (nor does the lyric 'SLASH!' appear in there) :eek:

Baby Be Mine! Believe it or not it is among my favorite songs on thriller. Such a light breezy and gleeful song. I have heard a lot of fans and non fans call this the weak link on the album but I vehemently disagree. Just love this song.

Last edited:
I like LNFSG a lot.

I think it's amazing how great they made it sound.

Back