If the Biggie verse on "Unbreakable" needed to be replaced with a living rapper, who would have you gone with?

Spaceship

Proud Member
It was always weird that some random old Biggie verse got sampled for that song. I don't see why MJ couldn't have just a living big-name rapper on that song; I know he said that he preferred to work out smaller rappers, which is why he went with Fats on "Heartbreaker" and "Invincible", but it's only natural that someone as big as MJ would work with the biggest rappers (and let's be real, Fats sucked). He should have gotten Jay-Z on "Unbreakable"; he rapped on the Trackmasters remix of "You Rock My World", so I'm sure he could have found time to do a verse for "Unbreakable".

It was always weird that some random old Biggie verse got sampled for that song.
Because the song contains an interpolation of Biggieโ€™s Unbelievable track. The whole basis of the song, instrumentally, was created from a Biggie song, which makes it rather less shocking that a verse of his from that song was used, instead of a random rapperโ€™s.

It was always weird that some random old Biggie verse got sampled for that song. I don't see why MJ couldn't have just a living big-name rapper on that song; I know he said that he preferred to work out smaller rappers, which is why he went with Fats on "Heartbreaker" and "Invincible", but it's only natural that someone as big as MJ would work with the biggest rappers (and let's be real, Fats sucked). He should have gotten Jay-Z on "Unbreakable"; he rapped on the Trackmasters remix of "You Rock My World", so I'm sure he could have found time to do a verse for "Unbreakable".
Apparently, it comes down to Michael Jackson's egotistical attitude.

It seems that Michael Jackson feared that big rappers (such as, Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg) on his albums would overshadow him, hence his preference for small rappers.

Because the song contains an interpolation of Biggieโ€™s Unbelievable track. The whole basis of the song, instrumentally, was created from a Biggie song, which makes it rather less shocking that a verse of his from that song was used, instead of a random rapperโ€™s.
Yes I agree, and it was also an ode to Biggie I guess, after he died. Michael was pretty loyal (unlike what 'LN' e.a. want you to believe) and basically liked to continue working with people that he liked or liked working with (this also counts for Fats btw). Even if an artist wasn't famous or if the style was played out (Slash?) or if he already did a track with them

It seems that Michael Jackson feared that big rappers (such as, Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg) on his albums would overshadow him, hence his preference for small rappers.
The Notorious B.I.G. was extremely popular at the time of History

I couldnโ€™t care less about any rapper. I was bewildered when I first heard a rapper in an MJ song, it took me years to get used to it lol

DMX ....Treach...Snoop - [dee Oh double Gee].. LL Cool J ! Speech!.
๐Ÿซ  ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™ƒum... Nas ... um Bone ..wish bone...or krayzie ... Method Man .
Ice T ..Oh , . um. ๐Ÿค” Chingy ......ooh i like this thread !! :D

Last edited:
xzibit and nelly would have been a powerhouse with M . Wow. mind blown . eye candy X3! :eek: ...x4 eye candy - add Chingy.

Ludicrous.
:D Xzibit!

. Mystikal...

Nelly!
:love:

Last edited:
I notice alot of love for earl in this mf , i miss DMX! ๐Ÿ˜Ÿโ˜น๏ธ๐Ÿ˜ฃ

Eve ...as well !she would have been fabulous.
loved her!:love: still do!

Q Tip ...solo [even with ATCQ!]

MOP

Crying because any of these artists..

Last edited:
Onyx.
oh boy.
*peels self away from thread* Great thread. Phenomenal.

That is utter nonsense. Michael was all about working with the biggest and the best. He did duets with the greats (Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder), he had the greatest guitar players (Eddie van Halen, Slash, Santana), he asked a legendary actor to do voice work on Thriller (Vincent Price), he asked Heavy D and The Notorious BIG for raps on his albums, he did tv performances with big stars (Britney Spears, N'Sync, Usher)... the idea that he would be worried that someone would overshadow him, simply doesn't make sense.

He DID like to work with new talents as well though.

Maybe Snoop Dogg? (sorry that's the only rapper that came to mind besides Ice Spice ๐Ÿ˜…)

imgaine if Michael worked with Ice Spice. that would be something!

Back