If the Biggie verse on "Unbreakable" needed to be replaced with a living rapper, who would have you gone with?

@Agonum 🫠 :love: 🏆 :eek:
I told you long ago, on the road
I got what they waitin' for
I don't run from nothin', dog
Get your soldiers, tell 'em I ain't layin' low
You was never really rootin' for me anyway
When I'm back up at the top, I wanna hear you say
He don't run from nothin', dog
Get your soldiers, tell 'em that the break is over
u was never really rootin' 4 me anyway ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:love:🫠:eek::ROFLMAO:🏆

Album will probably be out when detox is…lol

the Dr. Dre produced album with LL (2016-2019) was ready for release and they did over 30 tracks together:
working with Dr. Dre mostly ends nowhere. no release, just teasing and talking about it. shame we never get to hear this stuff...
GOAT2 (2015) was also canceled. most likely because of all those trap and migos style beats.
then in ~2019, LL decided to work with Q-Tip and that one is coming 100% now. the song "The Force" is already on constant radio rotation (rock the bells radio).

however, i would love to hear LL together with MJ on a officially released track. LL goes really hard on more aggressive / hardcore hiphop songs.
Serious Effect had the "Just Good Friends" issue. Two legends but super weak song.

Because the song contains an interpolation of Biggie’s Unbelievable track. The whole basis of the song, instrumentally, was created from a Biggie song, which makes it rather less shocking that a verse of his from that song was used, instead of a random rapper’s.

Biggie's verse didn't come from "Unbelievable". It came from some random song he did with Shaq years ago.

Yes, it is pretty random to include a verse from Biggie when he was already dead for four years, especially considering that he and MJ were never close. Biggie even thought MJ was a pedophile, according to his close friend Lil Cease. Jay Z was closely affiliated with Biggie and had a similar style to him as they were both New York rappers, so I'd say he would have fit the song fine. Far less random to include a verse from the biggest living rapper at the time than someone who had died four years ago.

Pretty lazy to just recycle an old Biggie verse instead of getting a new one specifically made for the song. If you can't get Biggie to rap on the song because he's dead, then get a rapper who's alive.

Should every MJ-influenced song sample old vocals from MJ himself?

Yes, it is pretty random to include a verse from Biggie when he was already dead for four years, especially considering that he and MJ were never close.
Pretty lazy to just recycle an old Biggie verse instead of getting a new one specifically made for the song. If you can't get Biggie to rap on the song because he's dead, then get a rapper who's alive.
It has been written that Rodney Jerkins liked that rap verse, and he thought that it would perfectly fit the 'Unbreakable' song.

The producer eventually convinced Michael Jackson to include it on that song.

Should every MJ-influenced song sample old vocals from MJ himself?
Honestly i couldn't care less about the rap parts in Invincible, they exist, Fat sucks, i get it, i don't mind them though

Having said that, i just don't get what you have against the Biggie sample in Unbreakable?... like, the verse seems to fit the song like a glove, hell, it's been mentioned already that Unbreakable takes a lot from Unbelievable so it can be considered a nice little homage...

Anyways, Invincible sucks, any thread related to it does, too. :p

Having said that, i just don't get what you have against the Biggie sample in Unbreakable?... like, the verse seems to fit the song like a glove, hell, it's been mentioned already that Unbreakable takes a lot from Unbelievable so it can be considered a nice little homage...

Right, so then let's sample MJ vocals for every song that's inspired by him and see how that works out.

Recycling old vocals is always lazy and especially off-putting when they're of a dead person.

Right, so then let's sample MJ vocals for every song that's inspired by him and see how that works out.

Recycling old vocals is always lazy and especially off-putting when they're of a dead person.
I see your point... would you have the same issue if it weren't the vocals the thing being sampled? genuine question 🤔
Same scenario, MJ inspired song, has a sample of the instrumental of one of his songs. What do you think about that? 🤔

Apparently, it comes down to Michael Jackson's egotistical attitude.

It seems that Michael Jackson feared that big rappers (such as, Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg) on his albums would overshadow him, hence his preference for small rappers.
The fact that you consider Biggie smaller than Jay-Z or Snoop shows what a doofus you are actually.

Lenny Kravitz already did that with Low (2018), it don't offend nobody. And Naughty by Nature. And Drake.... Like, have you even been listening to music?

Lenny Kravitz already did that with Low (2018), it don't offend nobody. And Naughty by Nature. And Drake.... Like, have you even been listening to music?

Kravitz and Naughty by Nature have long been irrelevant; hardly anyone cares about their music, so most people didn't notice. Drake sampling MJ's vocals definitely got criticism for being tacky and random.

the Dr. Dre produced album with LL (2016-2019) was ready for release and they did over 30 tracks together:
working with Dr. Dre mostly ends nowhere. no release, just teasing and talking about it. shame we never get to hear this stuff...
GOAT2 (2015) was also canceled. most likely because of all those trap and migos style beats.
then in ~2019, LL decided to work with Q-Tip and that one is coming 100% now. the song "The Force" is already on constant radio rotation (rock the bells radio).

however, i would love to hear LL together with MJ on a officially released track. LL goes really hard on more aggressive / hardcore hiphop songs.
Serious Effect had the "Just Good Friends" issue. Two legends but super weak song.
A snippet from the song with Eminem leaked (from the LL album), but sadly Em sounds robotic as ever.

I think his overdose screwed up his brain too much

I kinda agree. I do admire MJ's loyalty for bringing back people like Slash and I definitely see the verses on 'Unbreakable' as a hommage to Biggie. On the other hand it was really time for something new and bringing in Biggie's rap didn't help. The rap of Fats was also nothing new; in fact, imo, he should have left out all rap and go more electronic OR go with the newer style of rap at the time like Nelly or Clipse

Eve is on the Butterflies remix though. She is also on the remix for The Greatest Romance Ever Sold by Prince.
I know. I wanted a whole predominant song with Eve not just a remix . I know treach NBN was on the scream louder 95 remix and Jam 93. 🏆
Needed more. I love thinking about what could have been. 🫠
I'm not too interested in Prince but cool Eve got to work with one of the greats.

Kravitz and Naughty by Nature have long been irrelevant; hardly anyone cares about their music, so most people didn't notice. Drake sampling MJ's vocals definitely got criticism for being tacky and random.
Doesn't change my point, it's already been done. And I never heard hate for Drake like the entire industry has for AI or somsthing.

Anthony is one of the best MC the rap game ever had. I would say better than tupac at the time. Don't let you and i ever meet. :ROFLMAO: 🙃

I didn't say that they were never relevant, but they've been irrelevant for many years now. They're not current like Drake is; they're legacy artists who aren't very popular anymore. People just remember them for their old music.

Last edited:
Doesn't change my point, it's already been done. And I never heard hate for Drake like the entire industry has for AI or somsthing.

It's been done and gets flak every time. Drake did get flak for it:

NME's Luke Morgan Britton described the song as "a clear-cut power move, rather than artistic posthumous collaboration," and considered it as an example of "cases of Drake doing things because he can, rather than because he should." The Hollywood Reporter's Jonny Coleman felt the song "is as unsettling as a Tupac hologram, but ultimately not as offensive. It sounds like a Weeknd B-side but is weird enough to break up some of the exhaustion of listening to [Scorpion] in one sitting." Dean Van Nguyen of The Irish Times said, "Jackson's segment is lovely, his vocal loop floating over the warm ‘n’ woozy orchestration which comes off as a kind of downbeat version of "Liberian Girl". Unfortunately, Drake is the worst thing about the song, his depressed coos sounding formless and without conviction."

And I'm sure Kravitz and Naughty by Nature got flak, too, but they're so irrelevant these days that most people aren't gonna notice them do anything, let alone sampling vocals.

Last edited:
It's been done and gets flak every time. Drake did get flak for it:

NME's Luke Morgan Britton described the song as "a clear-cut power move, rather than artistic posthumous collaboration," and considered it as an example of "cases of Drake doing things because he can, rather than because he should." The Hollywood Reporter's Jonny Coleman felt the song "is as unsettling as a Tupac hologram, but ultimately not as offensive. It sounds like a Weeknd B-side but is weird enough to break up some of the exhaustion of listening to [Scorpion] in one sitting." Dean Van Nguyen of The Irish Times said, "Jackson's segment is lovely, his vocal loop floating over the warm ‘n’ woozy orchestration which comes off as a kind of downbeat version of "Liberian Girl". Unfortunately, Drake is the worst thing about the song, his depressed coos sounding formless and without conviction."

And I'm sure Kravitz and Naughty by Nature got flak, too, but they're so irrelevant these days that most people aren't gonna notice them do anything, let alone sampling vocals.
Both of those latter two sound pretty positive actually. The last one down right is.

I did mean SWV, not naughty by nature. Huge, faux pas on my part. But regardless.

Back