Imagine if the Estate Will Release a New Concert Every Year

A guy/gal has posted this comment on youtube:

This footage is from the Mid-South Coliseum, the Jacksons never played the Orpheum Theater, Foxxy and Sister Sledge open the show, Rick James came out on stage during "We Are Family" and shocked the crowd, but The Jacksons took the building to a whole different level as you can see, there is footage of their show that was broadcast on a local TV program like a week later, sorry we didn't have VCR's in 1979, I talked to the host of the show years later and he said he still had the 8mm footage in storage maybe this is some of it without sound, like I said in another post he also got on their tour bus and filmed with them leaving the Coliseum parking lot waving to fans, I remember this stuff like yesterday, the same tv show did a feature on The Bar-Kays when they played the Coliseum the same year I have some of the raw footage from that episode I got in a trade years ago, saying all this to say, I think I might try to get back in touch with the tv host again now

Interesting. He also said that ABC has the full coliseum show from the diane sawyer clip.

However great it would be if that footage was to be eventually unearthed, we have to remember that Optimum Productions is the sole owner of the source audio/visual elements - miles upon miles of concerts, moments on Tour etc. I love Patrick Kelly's work, he had a real gift of capturing the essence of the entire performance.

Last edited:
However great it would be if that footage was to be eventually unearthed, we have to remember that Optimum Productions is the sole owner of the source audio/visual elements - miles upon miles of concerts, moments on Tour etc. I love Patrick Kelly's work, he had a real gift of capturing the essence of the entire performance.

Optimum Prod is just the MJ estate

there was a video on youtube of someone talking about the estate... and he said:
If the estate releases a concert every year they can release concerts for the next 500 years :D
which is true..

there was a video on youtube of someone talking about the estate... and he said:
If the estate releases a concert every year they can release concerts for the next 500 years :D
which is true..

Bad Tour - 122 years
Dangerous Tour - 68 years
History Tour - 81 years

Just for MJs solo tours alone that's 271 years, not including re-releasing shows!

Bad Tour - 122 years
Dangerous Tour - 68 years
History Tour - 81 years

Just for MJs solo tours alone that's 271 years, not including re-releasing shows!

But - if you add The Jackson 5 and The Jacksons concerts you would get close.

BUT - only a dozen or so was filmed in a way that is possible to make a quality release - both picture and sound wise.

But - if you add The Jackson 5 and The Jacksons concerts you would get close.

BUT - only a dozen or so was filmed in a way that is possible to make a quality release - both picture and sound wise.

Whilst people's appetites are still wet for new Michael Jackson material it would make common commercial sense to release his greatest and highest quality unreleased work before 2035 at the very latest in my opinion. The tape sourced shows, alternate takes and incomplete demos will be solely focused on the hardcore fan base.... That would be my outlook on things at least.

Last edited:
I would much rather have Destiny 2nd leg, Triumph and Victory than anything that came after that!

I’d rather they spend their resources on something that’s really worth the time. If they release one show from each tour, we will have seen the entire tour. MJ didn’t differentiate enough to warrant such a constant need for new shows, imo.

New music! Demos! 4K short films! Studio footage! That’s where the interest is.

For me a good quality release of some of MJs concerts 78-84 (one concert per tour) are more interesting than 4k Short films and Demos..

I’d rather they spend their resources on something that’s really worth the time. If they release one show from each tour, we will have seen the entire tour. MJ didn’t differentiate enough to warrant such a constant need for new shows, imo.

Just because you're not interested in shows doesn't mean it's not worth the time. A live show, if done correctly, has a much lower production cost than new music. I also happen to know a bunch of people who'd much prefer having multiple shows released than new music.

You could agree with us that the Estate could release new music and live content to appeal for niches as well rather than having this attitude all the time. You can praise your personal interests without diminishing other people's in the process. Thank you.

Just because you're not interested in shows doesn't mean it's not worth the time. A live show, if done correctly, has a much lower production cost than new music. I also happen to know a bunch of people who'd much prefer having multiple shows released than new music.

You could agree with us that the Estate could release new music and live content to appeal for niches as well rather than having this attitude all the time. You can praise your personal interests without diminishing other people's in the process. Thank you.
This.

Also, MJ is widely considered the greatest entertainer of the 20th century, if not in history. I would think releasing footage of his performances would be a priority not just for the current fan base but for his long term legacy. I love every tour. I want every single tour to have major releases of as many concerts as possible. It may be a pipe dream but I want it very badly. I have actually emailed the estate begging them for a theatrical release of a tour lol.

Totally agree with my man here

I would definetly love to see a Victory Tour and a different date ( unedited ) Dangerous concert. Though people have to remember when MJ did tours they were very much the same set list for every single concert , right down to the wire. Wbss , HH , etc . Ok they changed a bit when 2nd and 3rd legs but to release every concert would be pointless because MJ was not a very spontaneous performer , for example he would not just burst into a different song out of the blue .

Why am I not surprised 🤭
But thank you, if it happens we know who to thank 🥳
I've thought about following up with a more impassioned, essayistic style that goes above and beyond any fan mail they've ever seen. But alas, I am not quite delusional enough yet.

December. December seems like a good time to revisit this.

I've thought about following up with a more impassioned, essayistic style that goes above and beyond any fan mail they've ever seen. But alas, I am not quite delusional enough yet.

December. December seems like a good time to revisit this.
Can you also email Motown and implore them to search their archives for J5 concerts? Thanks!

This is why a collectors label would be perfect. Fans like AlwaysThere can ignore concerts for demos while the rest of us can enjoy different concerts/rehearsals. Everyone wins.

This is why a collectors label would be perfect. Fans like AlwaysThere can ignore concerts for demos while the rest of us can enjoy different concerts/rehearsals. Everyone wins.
Didn't know you're bilingual, man. Out here speaking English and facts.

I would love a Victory show in 4K, and a Triumph tour. I even want a well put together crop of the Sep 10, 2001 show. Not as much as I'd want any of the 2002 shows though.

There's also a lot of great, vintage J5/Jackson's shoes.

When Michael had passed away, many major US newspapers had made their old MJ related articles available for public. I remember reading one article (if I'm not mistaken it was on the WSJ) from 1984 that stated, there were talks about broadcasting Victory tour on TV.
As currently mapped out – forty shows beginning in early summer and spread out over thirteen weeks (to conserve his energy, Michael won’t do more than three shows per week) – about 1.2 million people are expected to attend the concerts. Depending on ticket price (either twenty or twenty-five dollars), that would mean a gross of either $24 million or $30 million. Assuming the latter figure, and deducting $6 million for expenses, that would leave $24 million net profit, eighty-five percent of which would go to the Jacksons, with the rest being divided between Don King and Joe and Katherine Jackson – $3.4 million for each member of the group (Michael will get the same amount as each of his five brothers); $1.8 million for King; and $900,000 each for Joe Jackson and his wife. Just the droppings from such a windfall are the stuff of which promoters’ dreams are made.
Predictably, there is also talk of a concert film and of a live satellite broadcast of one of the shows.

Back